Quantcast Maine this summer

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maine this summer

I've just started looking into a trip to Maine this summer. We'll be driving, and are interested in seeing a lot of the coastal area, so a night or 2 in a few different places. We'll be traveling with our 5yo DS and 8yo DD. Any recommendations of things to do with the kids, places to go? We'd like to stay at some B&Bs, so any solid recommendations on those would be greatly appreciated as well. Restaurants, too! Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've traveled to Maine on 3 different occasions and had fabulous times! We spent time in Camden, which is lovely & close to several other coastal towns. We rented a house, but there were several nice looking B&Bs in and around town. Outside of Camden, there's a great seafood restaurant called (I believe) the Lobster Pot. It was great! Highly recommend it! We've also visited Portland, Kennebunkport, and Freeport (the pilgrimage to LL Bean is a must!). By far, our favorite spot is Bar Harbor - Acadia National Park is fabulous - tons to do! We stayed in a B&B in Southwest Harbor (very close to Bar Harbor) called "The Harbor Cottage Inn". Again, highly recommend it. There's plenty of whale watching in Bar Harbor, which I highly recommend for children - absolutely fascinating! And the loop road around Acadia has beautiful scenic stops - the rocky coast is amazing! Cadillac Mountain in Acadia has fabulous views and is an amazing place to watch sunrise/sunset. If you go to Acadia, you'll need to make a stop at the Jordan Pond House Restaurant for the popovers and strawberry jam - they are famous! Happy planning & enjoy your trip!!!
    2girlsmom
    WDW numerous times as a child
    '79 Disneyland
    '00 ASM
    '01 BWV
    '05 CBR
    '07 Pop Century
    '08 Pop Century
    '09 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago, while in the Navy, my best friend lived in Boothbay Harbor. I believe that they have a yearly festival with the fleet of sailing ships. I loved the area and the scenery and there are several good B&B located right along the coast.
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I did a lot of traveling up through Maine when we lived in New Hampshire and I absolutely loved it! Our favorite places tended to be mid-coast and northward (not quite as crowded in the summer). Bar Harbor is indeed a lovely area, with tons of hiking trails and wonderful lookouts just off of the loop road. Sandy Beach, located in a cove with cliffs rising on either side, is an amazingly beautiful place for swimming and picnicing, although it is more suited for quick dips as the water is very cold year-round! There is also a swimming beach (and much warmer water) on Echo Lake. There are stables (or at least there were when we there) in the park for guided carriage rides, and fishing and whale-watching excursions out of Bar Harbor. We've stayed both at The Birches Bed and Breakfast and the Seaside Cottages in Bar Harbor, and I would recommend them both.

Elsewhere, we loved the Belfast area. We stayed at the Colonial Gables cottage resort one summer. From here we visited Pemaquid Point lighthouse (very much worth the detour off of US 1--it was one of the most scenic places we have ever been) and took rented bikes over on the Lincolnville ferry to Islesboro for an afternoon of biking. Speaking of Lincolnville, there is a wonderful motel there called the Ducktrap Motel that we also stayed at one weekend. Very comfortable and well-kept and close to a quiet beach where we did some shelling.

Wherever you go, make sure and eat at least a couple of times at the lobster pounds you will see along the way. Lots of fresh seafood and very casual--perfect for the two boys!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile We love Bar Harbor!

I'm from Maine, and Bar Harbor is one of our favorite places to vacation. We just found a little inn called the Seacroft Inn. It's very relaxed and casual and perfectly situated in Bar Harbor. You are within walking distance of the town (maybe 2 or 3 minutes to get downtown), and can easily hop the (free) Island Explorer bus.

I seccond the Jordan Pond House to get a nice meal, but go early...it gets very crowded later in the day. Another good spot is the Fish House Grill, on the town pier. And if you are tired of lobster, Rosalie's Pizza is fantastic!

I'd love to provide you with more information! PM me if you have any questions.
    Meg
    DVC Owner at AKV and BCV
    Upcoming Trips
    6/11--AKV & BCV with Kim & Gary
    8/11--Alaska on the Disney Wonder
    6/12--AKV with Jess, BCV just the two of us
    6/14--AKV & BCV just the two of us

Post Thanks / Like

We love the Wells Beach area, past Kittery and the outlet shops (a great stop) near Ogunquit, York Beach and Kennebunkport. You can see Walker Point (as a drive-by) in Kennebunkport, plus lots of great shopping. York and Wells are very family friendly, with a York animal park (cheesy but looks fun- kiddie rides and things, we haven't been) and a York Beach boardwalk environment with all kinds of beachy shops, candy/ice cream shops and the Nubble Lighthouse.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We (DW, DD15, DD13, DS5, DD3) did Bar Harbor and Acadia last summer. It was a great trip. We stayed just off island at little cottages in Trenton. Very affordable, a bit small and showing its age, but very comfy.

I'd recommend the puffin and whale cruise available in Bar Harbor. A little expensive but worth it. It can get choppy so take dramamine if you need it. Sitting outside at Jordan Pond House for a late lunch was a highlight of the trip. We had to wait about 1 hr for the table but it was no problem with the gift shop right there. Also, go tidepooling. My kids still talk about it and a Maine starfish was the "star" of our Christmas Cards this year. We did the ranger guided tidepool walk first and then did the Wonderland trail by ourselves. Great memories for the kids.

Try the lobster pounds sprinkled around. Lobster sold by the pound and fresh as can be. Very informal, very afforadble, very good!!!

Great trip idea, you will enjoy it!!!
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great info! Planning for this seems much more complicated than a Disney trip.

Post Thanks / Like

The planning is harder because Maine is so much bigger than Disney. I like the Ogonquit area, with Perkins Cove. Nice beaches and cute little shops too. And you can drive to Kittery to the Outlets and NH to Hampton Beach, it's only about 30 minutes away.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAYROLL PRINCESS View Post
    The planning is harder because Maine is so much bigger than Disney. I like the Ogonquit area, with Perkins Cove. Nice beaches and cute little shops too. And you can drive to Kittery to the Outlets and NH to Hampton Beach, it's only about 30 minutes away.
    Yes, we love Perkins Cove, too. But oh, the weekend crowds! The beach walk in Ogunquit is incredibly lovely. On our last trip to Wells (near Ogunquit) we watched seals frolicking in the morning- what a treat! If you're looking for less driving, especially, you can stop in this area and have a great vacation without another hour or more in driving time. That's a big draw for us.

Once you know where you're staying, it's not a vacation you need to plan as much as relax, enjoy, and take as it comes.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Wells Beach a few years ago. We all really enjoyed it. Good luck with your planning!

Post Thanks / Like

Born and raised in Maine for 33 years. I grew up in the Oxford Hills Area. It isn't coastal, but beautiful nonetheless. However, I am a huge fan of Wells Beach, Ogunquit and Perkins Cove. I also wish to recommend going to Cape Elizabeth to see the Portland Headlight. It is a beautiful lighthouse. The Samoset is an awesome hotel as well with some really great walking paths out to another lighthouse. Have a great trip! Oh, don't forget Acadia National Park!! AWESOME!! Oh and Freeport. A trip to LL Bean is a fun detour for the kids and adults as well.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I am from Maine and agree it is a beautiful place to visit. Bar Harbor is a family favorite for us, DD10, DD9 and DD5 love camping in the Bar Harbor area where we can hike, bike ride, go to the beach. You just can't spend enough time there. We generally go for a week and still don't get to do everything that we would like. And the above are just the free or practically free things to do, then you also have the day cruises including seal watches, whale watches, puffin watches, etc. You can take the CAT to Canada and spend a day or more there to shop, etc. I would also recommend Portland Headlight and Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth, there is history, trails, a beach. You just can't get enough of the beaches in the greater Portland area. Enjoy and if you have additional questions just ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz36 View Post
    Thanks for all the great info! Planning for this seems much more complicated than a Disney trip.
    We are spending a week at Bar Harbor/Acadia NP this summer. I too have had a hard time planning. We will be driving our motorhome and I'm just not sure if we need to rent a car, or just take local transportation, etc. I'm glad you asked about Maine, I'm getting some good information here also.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    We are spending a week at Bar Harbor/Acadia NP this summer. I too have had a hard time planning. We will be driving our motorhome and I'm just not sure if we need to rent a car, or just take local transportation, etc. I'm glad you asked about Maine, I'm getting some good information here also.
    We can totally help you with any questions you may have! Ask away...I love to talk about Bar Harbor and Acadia. We will be there this summer too. We are going from July 10 to the 15th.

By the way, you will probably be fine just taking the free Island Express buses, depending of course on where you park the motorhome.
    Meg
    DVC Owner at AKV and BCV
    Upcoming Trips
    6/11--AKV & BCV with Kim & Gary
    8/11--Alaska on the Disney Wonder
    6/12--AKV with Jess, BCV just the two of us
    6/14--AKV & BCV just the two of us

Post Thanks / Like

Old Orchard beach can be nice. there's a small (very small) amusement center on the beach, but on the main road, Rt 1 i believe, there's funtown/splashtown amusement park. again, not a huge park, but a nice place to spend the day with the family
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"

Walt Lucas

Post Thanks / Like

I don't live very far from ME, and I go there frequently. My favorite place is York. There are 2 beaches, Long Sands and Short Sands that are very clean. Around Short Sands is a playground and a little shopping square. It is also walking distance from York's Wild Kingdom, which is like a zoo and amusement park combined. Have fun, and maybe I'll see you there!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

WE love the Bar Harbor/Mount Desert area...my wife has an aunt and uncle there and its always a great trip. Nothing like a stop at a lobster pound and trip to the top of Cadilac Mountain where (imho) the views cannot be topped anywhere on the east coast of the United States.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in Maine also and there are lots of great suggestions here. I definitely would not miss out on Acadia National park if your family likes to hike. There is lots of shopping and a ton of restaurants in Bar Harbor. However, if you are looking for a more quiet beach I have always enjoyed Popham Beach. There are also a few forts there for a little bit of history and a great seafood restaurant called Spinneys. Old Orchard beach is a bit busier and attracks alot of Canadians and tourists. I guess it just depends on what kind of vacation you want

July 2001--FW
    Christmas 2005--Offsite
    Oct 2007--GF
    May 2008--Pop
    Oct 2009--Poly
    Oct 2010--BW
    Nov 2010--CS
    Nov/Dec 2011--BW
    Feb 2012--GF
    April 2012--AS
    Sep 2012--WL
    April 2013--Fantasy (eastern carribean)
    Sep 2013-SS
    Sep 2014-Fantasy (western carribean)
    Jan 2015-CS
    May 2016-Fantasy

Post Thanks / Like

My vote since you have children is Bar Harbor. They have ranger programs geared towards children that are fun and a great learning experience. There is the beautiful Oceanside Sand Beach (the water is really cold, but refreshing) for the kids to play at. There is also a sandy beach at Echo Lake. Bar Harbor is a great town. I don't think you can do wrong with Acadia National Park with children. I have some really great memories of camping at Blackwoods Campground when I was young (you won't see me camping anymore).
    Aug 1974 Fort Wilderness
    Aug 1981 Fort Wilderness
    Oct 1986 Polynesian
    Oct 1992 Beach Club
    Aug 1998 All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 1999 Grosvenor
    Aug 1999 Beach Club
    Aug 2002 Yacht Club
    Feb 2007 Old Key West
    Jan 2009 Old Key West
    Jan 2010 Boardwalk Villas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast