Quantcast Considering Renting from a DVC Member?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Considering Renting from a DVC Member?

There are some good threads on this board and others, as well as postings from various members that say some great things about renting points. I'd like to post this updated summary of things to consider -- targeted for all those potential renters out there. I'd also like to thank all the folks I've plagiarized in putting this together!

There are two ways you can stay in a “Disney Deluxe Villa Resort” (Disney Vacation Club Villa):
    • Call WDW reservations (aka CRO), just like any other resort, and book a villa at a Disney Deluxe Villa Resort
    • Rent points from a Disney Vacation Club (DVC) member
    Disney allows the general public to book DVC units at rack rates through its regular resort reservations system, when available. Renting points from a DVC member is a much better deal, as it typically costs much less to rent from a DVC member than to book a DVC resort direct from Disney.

If you do decide to rent points from a DVC member, there are a few things you should be aware of so that your experience is nothing less than magical.

While commonly referred to as “renting points”, you are actually paying a DVC member to make a reservation in your name with some of the points they own as DVC members.

Keep in mind that this is a private transaction between two people, and Disney is not involved in any way. If anything goes wrong, you can’t complain to Disney or expect them to resolve any problem. To repeat this very important fact: All transactions are between private individuals as negotiated between themselves. Disney will not get involved in any transaction problems or disputes.

Until you physically check-in, the DVC owner controls the reservation, even when it is in your name. An unscrupulous owner could potentially cancel your reservation and steal your money, and Disney will not get involved. Also, someone could pose as a DVC owner just to get your cash. This risk is what gets you the big discount, and renting is not for everyone. Renting points takes some work ahead of time to protect yourself and minimize the potential risk of these types of transactions.

That said, fraud almost never occurs in DVC rentals, as reported instances of fraud occurring are extremely rare. Thousands of successful rental transactions have been completed throughout the history of the DVC program, and the savings are obvious.

We don't often see problematic DVC rentals, and when we do they are usually due to misunderstandings between the DVC owner and the renter. Unfortunately, a lot of those misunderstandings come from lack of knowledge about how DVC works and how that differs from a traditional hotel reservation -- or a DVC reservation made through Disney CRO, for that matter.

You would think that the DVC owners all have perfect understanding of their accounts, and it's the people renting reservations who don't get it. You'd be dead wrong. Too often, neither party really understands the situation well enough to be able to anticipate problem areas. That’s why it’s important to rent points from a DVC member who has done it before. Take some time yourself to get educated on how DVC works before looking to “rent points”.

Please use due diligence before entering into any agreement and certainly before sending any payment. Renting points requires trust on both sides of the agreement, but even with trust there is a need for you to do some due diligence and common sense checking before sending off your money to a total stranger.
    • Ask for references from the DVC member who is renting the points, and check their references. Good references show that a DVC member has had successful rentals in the past, and is knowledgeable about the DVC program. You are more likely to have a miscommunication with a DVC member who is renting their points for the first time.
    • Don't rent from any “member” who has only made a few posts on a rental forum. It could be an indicator of a scam. Review past posts for the person you are working with so you can get an idea what type of person they may be.
    • Get the owner's full name, home address and home phone number before sending any payment. To the extent possible, confirm that the information is valid.
    • Confirm that the person is, in fact, a DVC owner by running a search at the Orange County Comptroller's Office web site (this site only reports owners of WDW DVC resorts).
    • There should be a written contract or letter of agreement, signed by both of you, spelling out exactly what the rental will cost, when payment is due, dates of the stay, etc.
    • Never pay a total stranger by using a "cash equivalent" such as Western Union or money order.
    In summary: never, ever send money to anyone until you have confirmed their true identify and that they are, in fact, a DVC member, and you have a written agreement. If something sounds "off," don't proceed. It's not worth taking the risk. Any DVC deal that seems too good to be true most likely is.

Also, please keep in mind the following important points:
    • Be aware that the Disney Vacation Club will not speak with renters or give them any information. They won't take a room request from you; they won't confirm you have a reservation; and they won't make Magical Express arrangements for you. Only DVC owners can speak with DVC about reservations. Any changes and any additions like the Dining Plan or Magical Express will have to be made through Member Services by the owner. You will pay for the Disney Dining Plan during check-in at the resort. You can make your own dining reservations through the Disney dining number. Park tickets cannot be purchased through the DVC member. You can purchase your tickets on your own.
    • DVC is a timeshare and not a hotel. A DVC reservation is very different from a regular hotel reservation and the limitations / restrictions / penalties on the owner may make cancellation and rescheduling difficult or impossible. Those problems vary from owner to owner, from rental to rental, and you have no way of knowing what kind of restrictions the owner is under. If you get in a position where you have to cancel a rented reservation, the owner may not be able to help you. Many owners have a “no cancellation/no changes/no refunds” policy. Be sure you fully understand what will happen if your plans change. That is critical, and if you are not comfortable with the answer, a DVC rental is probably not for you. DVC rentals do not work well for people whose plans are not firmly set. You'll have much better cancellation policies when booking through Disney’s CRO than renting points.
    • You will probably need a much larger deposit and have to pay in full much earlier when renting points than with using Disney CRO. You may need to pay with a cashiers check instead of being able to use your credit card.
    • You do not get daily maid service when you rent from a DVC member (while you do get daily maid service if you make the reservation through Disney CRO). You get your trash emptied and new towels on day 4 of a vacation, and if you stay 8 or more nights, on day 4 you get a full cleaning, and day 8 would be the trash & towel service.
    • While you will receive all the standard perks of staying onsite (Magical Express, Extra Magic Hours, etc.), please be aware than renters typically do not get to take advantage of DVC member perks such as discounts, free valet parking, etc.
    • The DVC system is complex and takes some time to understand, and many rental difficulties or misunderstandings are from good people with good intentions, who misunderstand the subtleties of the system.
    I hope the above information is helpful to everyone considering renting points from a DVC member.
    DVC Mike

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well put DVC Mike. That pretty much sums it up.
    CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK TO WDW AND OKW!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We are considering renting points for an upcoming vacation. Your post was very helpful. I am having trouble getting into the Florida Comptroller's website to find ownership verification. This seemed like a good idea but there were so many sites to click on and nothing ever came up where I could actually look for owners. Any advice? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AKL Mom View Post
    We are considering renting points for an upcoming vacation. Your post was very helpful. I am having trouble getting into the Florida Comptroller's website to find ownership verification. This seemed like a good idea but there were so many sites to click on and nothing ever came up where I could actually look for owners. Any advice? Thanks
    The site is located at:

http://officialrecords.occompt.com/wb_or1/or_sch_1.asp

You enter the owners name as "LAST FIRST" (no comma) and t will show you where they own.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for your reply. It gave me just what I needed!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!

So informative. Thank you!

Now, if we wanted to rent points from a DVC member to see if we like it. Where do I look to see who is interested in renting to me?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adoptionislove View Post
    WOW!

So informative. Thank you!

Now, if we wanted to rent points from a DVC member to see if we like it. Where do I look to see who is interested in renting to me?
    There are several active rental boards
    Last edited by Imalismom; 06-09-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I am going there now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    [*]While you will receive all the standard perks of staying onsite (Magical Express, Extra Magic Hours, etc.), please be aware than renters typically do not get to take advantage of DVC member perks such as discounts, free valet parking, etc.[/LIST][LIST]
    I realize you use the word "typically", but we have rented points 3x and have always gotten the DVC discounts. Granted, we have not rented points since 2004, so maybe this is something new? Whenever we checked in we received the "Welcome Home" kit with all the DVC discounts listed. At restaurants and shops we showed our room key which looks like every other DVC room key and as far as I knew there was no way for CMs to tell if I was the owner or not. Not to say I was beating the system, on the contrary, we were told at check-in we qualified for the discount.
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelleCiavo View Post
    I realize you use the word "typically", but we have rented points 3x and have always gotten the DVC discounts. Granted, we have not rented points since 2004, so maybe this is something new? Whenever we checked in we received the "Welcome Home" kit with all the DVC discounts listed. At restaurants and shops we showed our room key which looks like every other DVC room key and as far as I knew there was no way for CMs to tell if I was the owner or not. Not to say I was beating the system, on the contrary, we were told at check-in we qualified for the discount.
    Recently a lot of discounts can only be obtained by showing your DVC membership card and not the room key.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlpmikki View Post
    Recently a lot of discounts can only be obtained by showing your DVC membership card and not the room key.
    Oh, well it was nice while it lasted.
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribing!

Also, a question - can we request a particular room upon check-in?
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DVC Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Question DVC Rental Questions

What is the typical payment procedures when renting points from a DVC member? For example, what is the typical deposit, and when is full payment usually due? Also, how far out can DVC members book a resort for you? I know this differs between home resort and non-home. Thanks for the help, we are starting to make plans for a summer 2009 trip, and one of my options is renting points. I figure it might be a good way to stay at one of the prime locations like BW, WL, or BC at a somewhat lower price.
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the (google search) for renting points? Thanks.
    Last edited by dlpmikki; 12-30-2008 at 05:33 AM. Reason: reference to other board

samrawet Guest

Nice Articles

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't get this website to work. Any other means of getting to it?

Post Thanks / Like

I also couldn't get this website to work, any suggestions, we are renting points and I was wanting to check ownership. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AKL Mom View Post
    I also couldn't get this website to work, any suggestions, we are renting points and I was wanting to check ownership. Thanks
    http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/docSearch.jsp
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much, this worked with positive results.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: