Quantcast Gettysburg/PA Dutch/Hershey

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gettysburg/PA Dutch/Hershey

Well.. I got a qoute on a trip to Disney this coming November and it's just out of reach for us.. so we're thinking of spending our 15 year wedding anniversary in the PA Dutch area (Lancaster, Bird-in-Hand, etc.)... we also wanna hit Gettysburg and Hershey.... anyone familiar with these areas? Any tips? Favorite places to stay? Eat? Don't miss things? Anyone do the Strasburg Railroad Train ride? Is that worth it? This will be just me and my DH.. we have no kids...
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

All of those places are fantastic. We visit them as often as we can. If you're a Civil War buff Antietam isn't too far away as well. For Hershey, since it's your anniversary, if you can stay at the Hershey Hotel, it's worth it. And my DW LOVED the chocolate spa treatment. The one drawback to Hershey is that you gain wait just by breathing. It's a very fun park, though, and the zoo is worth it as well.

Gettysburg is a 2 day event. It takes an entire day (and usually 2 if you take your time) to do the battlefield. If you have a laptop, bring it with you as the battlefield has a DVD-ROM tour so you can watch the movement and hear the history of the battle as you drive through the battlefield. After you've done the battle there's also plenty to see in the town, so save time for that.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Lancaster County, PA. There is quite a bit to do here while visiting. If you enjoy theatre, the Fulton Opera House in Lancaster City is very nice. There is also a nice little theatre in Christiana called Freedom Chapel Dinner Theatre. I am sure they have a website. They do very small productions, and the cast of the show are sometimes the waiters during the meal! You might also want to check what is playing at American Music Theatre. They do a very nice Christmas show. Also, Sight and Sound Threatre does very nice shows at both of their theatres in Strasburg.

I would highly recommend getting an Entertainment Book for Lancaster. I believe you can get them for $25 or $30, but you may end up saving hundreds with the coupons!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely plan to stop or stay in Lititz, that is just a short drive north of Lancaster, it's still in Lancaster county. You will find it to be a very quaint little town with very nice shops and there are also a couple of bed and breakfasts. 2 options would be General Sutter Inn which is right in LItitz and Speedwell Forge bed and breakfast, which is just outside of Lititz. There is so much to do in Lancaster County, you won't be dissapointed!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    If you're a Civil War buff Antietam isn't too far away as well.

Gettysburg is a 2 day event.
    For a Civil War buff, Gettysburg / Antietam / Harpers Ferry is a 2 week event.

Please note that November 21, 22, & 23 2008 is Remembrance Day weekend in Gettysburg. There is a large parade through town with thousands of reenactors and the cemetery is illuminated with candles in paper bags. A very impressive sight. Unfortunately, most hotel rooms are booked far in advance and are sold at a premium for that weekend, in many cases more than twice the regular rate. Also, the bars and restaurants are very crowded with loud reenactors.

If you don’t go that weekend, I recommend staying at The TraveLodge. It is in a great location and reasonable rates (other than Remembrance Day weekend.)

If you have any more questions about G-Burg, please ask.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

You might also want to consider going to Longwood Gardens, about 30 minutes (I think) east of Lancaster. I think that in November, their Christmas displays are open.

An interesting place to go near Gettysburg would be "The Historic Fairfield Inn" (not to be confused with the Fairfield Inn chain) located in Fairfield, PA. They have special events throughout the year as well as their regular dining. We live near there and use a restaurant.com certificate when we go.

Deb

Post Thanks / Like

Hershey Park is a great day trip, but the gardens are also worth exploring they are beautiful! The Strausberg is nice, but unless your a railroad fanatic its not a most due, there is a cute hotel next to it, all the rooms are train cars very cute.
    If you are a crafter at all there is a Quilt Museum in Downtown Lancaster that is worth a look. If you are a shopper there are outlets across from Dutch Wonderland (a little kids amusement park).
    Have Fun!
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Hershey is a wonderful litte town! Definitely go to Chocolate World and take the tour. They give out free samples at the end! There is a catchy little song through the ride - dare I say it is almost as infectious as "It's a Small World!" A little ways outside of Hershey, I think in a town called Hummellstown, is a neat cavern that you can tour. Last time we were there we stayed at the Hilton, which I would recommend - complementary wine in the evenings: need I say more! We're actually planning a few days there at the end of June. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Lancaster is a great place to spend an anniversary. My BF and I spent our one year in Lancaster for the weekend since I didn't want to go too far. We stayed at this adorable place called the "Country Living Inn". We rented out the "romantic suite" which came with a hot tub for two, two heart shaped chocolates and a bottle of sparkling grape juice.

I noticed somebody mentioned Lititz, PA. There is a small chocolate shop called Wilbur Chocolates. It's really cute and you just have to get a box of the dark chocolate "buds".

I also recommend Strausburg Railroad. It takes you for a ride thru Amish Country.

There is enough to do with buggy rides, tours, smorgasboards and shopping that you won't be bored. Just a fair warning, most close early so do them as early as possible.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the great responses and information! Couple additional questions: anyone ever stay in the Fulton Steamboat Inn? Sounds and looks great on the internet but would be more comfortable if someone I 'know' has stayed there. And I realized that Veteran's Day falls during the time we plan to be in the area... does Gettysburg do anything special during that time. One of you mentioned a Rememberance Day - but you listed it a week later... and anyone ever do the Balloon ride over the area?
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneydrmr View Post
    And I realized that Veteran's Day falls during the time we plan to be in the area... does Gettysburg do anything special during that time. One of you mentioned a Rememberance Day - but you listed it a week later...
    Sorry for the confusion as I now realize that The UK and Canada call what we in the US call “Veteran’s Day”, “Remembrance Day.” In Gettysburg, “Remembrance Day” is November 19. It commemorates the day in 1863 when the National Military Cemetery was dedicated, the event where Lincoln delivered “The Gettysburg Address.”

Every year on the Saturday closest to November 19, (the 22nd in '08) thousands of reenactors, including hundreds of period civilian impressions, descend on the town and march in a parade down Baltimore Street, culminating at “The High Water Mark.”

At the motel were I always stay, The Travelodge, rooms are $150 per night, with a 2 night (Friday and Saturday night) stay required. Normal rates in the fall are around $60 -$70 with even some specials for less. But for you it doesn’t matter as all the rooms are already booked a year in advance for that weekend.

If you do go that weekend, you will probably have to get a room out of town, but probably not too far. Another advantage of going that weekend is all of the knowledgeable reenactors that tour the battlefield. Most are willing to talk to the public and answer any questions about the battle. But be forewarned, if you get my brother, he will talk to you for a long time and give you way more information that you probably wanted.

I’ve never been on Veteran’s Day so I’m not sure about that. My guess is they probably have some sort of ceremony at the cemetery but probably not much more.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

While in Gettysburg, check out Boyd's Bear Country which is just south of the battlefield.

That is a great place and it is HUGE!!

Boyd's Bears are stuffed teddy bears and other animals, ceramic bears and other animals and many other collectables created by Boyd's Bears. It consists of three shopping levels and the basement level with food. A whole bunch of food.

It is just a really well done store.

Post Thanks / Like

So much to do in Lancaster! Of what was mentioned my favs are Hershey Park, Longwood Gardens, Sight & Sound Shows are worth every penny, Cooper Kettle Village. To throw another log in the fire Philly is only an hour away!

A very nice hotel in Lancaster is The Bird In Hand Lodge. We have stayed there at least three times and have never been disappionted. Rates are very reasonable.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Gettysburg

Being from Tennessee but living the past 20 years or so out west, I was amazed how beautiful this part of Pennsylvania was when we visited last May. I almost drove off the road several times looking around!

Make sure you take time (in addition to seeing the battlefield) to see the park service museum - it has an amazing collection. Oh, and do the interactive map show (or whatever it's called). It will give you a good idea of the battlefield before you take your tour, if you're not familiar with the history. There is a small fee for this, but it's worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I argee with the others above that there are plenty of interesting and fun things to do up in PA Dutch area in the Fall. Gettysburg is a remarkable place. Make sure you seek out a licensed battlefield guide. These are the only people sanctioned by the park service to give tours, and they really know what they are doing. The training and licensing requirements are beyond rigorous. (Of course, I don't mean to say that other unlicensed folks can't give you a great tour.)

Anyway, temper your enthusiasm for Hershey Park if you have any interest in the big thrill rides. During November and December the coasters do not run. However the park is open for Christmas Candy Lane (I believe weekends only) which is a great time in itself.

Hotel Hershey is a historic property, the Hershey Lodge is also very nice.

After you are through with that, might as well travel east to Lancaster and Amish Country. I live here so I am used to the buggys, but it still is something to see if you haven't before.

And, since you're in this part of the country, and if you can brave the urban blight, and might consider heading into Philadephia to see history (National Constitution Center, Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Museum of Art where you can pay homage to Rocky, etc).

You might consider breaking out a B&B guide and work your way across South-Central-Eastern PA. Some beautiful historic properties. Have fun
    6/74- Offsite
    5/97 - Hilton LBV
    1/04- Offsite
    4/04 - Pop
    2/05 - GF
    4/05 - Poly
    6/05 - MG for 11 at BWV
    4/06 - BCV
    6/06 - MG for 15 at BCV
    2/07 - BCV
    2/08 - BWV (1st time no kids)
    11/08 - BCV
    *8/2010 - Grand gaterhing for 25 at the BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Every year Hersheypark seems to grow by leaps and bounds!! With their new water park and newer rides, it is definitely a full day and I think it is better to have 2 days to do it. Check them out on the web.

While driving to WDW last year, my DS9 stated that Hersheypark has much better rollercoaster rides than Disney. If you are a thrill ride person, he is certainly right in terms of numbers, anyway.
    I'm not bad - I'm just drawn that way!

Next Trip? Not sure but always planning!!
    Oct 2007 House rental
    Dec 2005 CBR
    Jan 2003 House rental
    Aug 1997 Grosvenor
    Sep 1993 Off site hotel

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think you will have a wonderful trip to the Lancaster area. Some of my suggestions would be:
    1) Don't miss Longwood Gardens it is only 43 miles from Lancaster and it is absolutely one of the most beautiful gardens I've ever seen. Have lunch in their table service restaurant , it's a nice break from touring the gardens and the food is really good. You could Google them, their website is one of those dot org things.
    2) When you're in Gettysburg try The Pub on the town square for lunch and if you have a sweet tooth get a peice of the carrot cake. I know people that go up for a meal just to end it with the carrot cake.
    3) The Strasburg Railroad is fun, isn't all that expensive and doesn't have to be terribly time consuming. They also have an informational website. And right across the street is a railroad museum if you're really into trains.
    4) The Kettle Kitchen in Intercourse, PA has a couple of good dining options and it has a very easy walking area with all kinds of little shops. It is very touristy though.
    5) When in Amish country be very mindful of the buggies, my sister and I almost got ran over by one when crossing the street and we were doing it within a cross walk with a green light. I guess they rightly assume that you will jump out of their way when a big horse is clopping down on you at a lively rate of speed.
    6) If you at all have the time make the drive down to Harpers Ferry. The National Park Department runs a wonderful program with ample parking and a shuttle down to the town.
    We have lived in the Mid-Atlantic area for about 5 years now and I still am amazed at how much there is to do in this area and how beautiful it is. Have a wonderful anniversary trip.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to do would be to visit the Amish Farm and House in Lancaster. And there is a restaurant called Shady Maple that people rave about. (I haven't been there.)

Deb

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, the PP is right, Shady Maple is AWESOME!!! But just note, it is in Lancaster County, really not near Lancaster...

I have stayed at the Fulton Steamboat hotel, and it is very cool, it is right across the street from lots of outlets...

We live in Hershey and we love it here... just know, in November, Hersheypark will be closed for the season. There is still Chocolate World, the Auto museum, Hershey gardens (don't know how goo they will be in the fall either), Hershey Museum... lots of things.... and do not forget that Hershey is about 10 miles away from Harrisburg, which has lots of cool things there too... A PA state museum, you can tour the capitol building, an awesome downtown with shops and restaurants...

If it is your anniversary, you could consider the Sunday brunch at the Hotel Hershey, it is to die for!!! It is a bit pricey, but totally worth it, there is a dress code and it is quite fancy!! You can make reservations on the hotel Hershey website...

PM me if you need advice about a certain place... happy planning!!
    First Trip: 1983- (Before 6 months old!)
    1983-Present (Too many trips to count!)

Important Trips:
    Dec 2006- Carribean Beach (Honeymoon!)
    May 2008 (First trip for our Twins!)

Next Trip:
    Sept. 2009 - FREE DINING!!

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For the sports fan there is baseball galore - Harrisburg Senators, Lancaster Barnstormers, York Revolution.

Shows - -Strand/Capitol Complex in York, Dutch Apple Dinner Theater in Lancaster County, Fulton Opera House in Lancaster.

Bube's Brewery/The Catacombs in Mt. Joy

About an hour north of Harrisburg is Knoebel's Groves in Elysburg, PA - "America's Largest Free Admission Park"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: