Quantcast "New" lightbulbs in ceiling fans?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default "New" lightbulbs in ceiling fans?

Has anyone tried putting the new, energy efficient lightbulbs in a ceiling fan? We tried regular bulbs, but they wouldn't last very long at all. Right now we are using the ones specifically for ceiling fans, but would like to switch if the new ones would hold up...
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've put them in our ceiling fan. We found the ones that have the "spiral" inside a regular shaped glass bulb so it looks like a standard bulb. It works fine for us. We have the same problem with light bulbs in our home. We have had some blow in no time almost. I tend to think it's an issue with the voltage running to the bulb, but I'm no electrician either. We haven't had to replace any of these yet and some of them have been in place for 6months or longer. I don't know about how much they save on our electric bill, but I do know I'm not buying bulbs each time I head out to the store.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Light bulbs for ceiling fans have a stronger, more secure filament to withstand the vibrations caused by the fan running. You can use regular bulbs but they do blow out quicker. If you decide to try the new energy efficient bulbs, just be careful that you don't drop one and that they are secure in the sockets of the fan - one of my garage door openers rattles the bulb loose all the time. The materials inside the bulb can be dangerous if they break.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I have them everywhere in my house. I started using them nearly 3yrs ago in my kitchen b/c I have indoor spots all across and a 12ft ceiling. I had to change the bulbs every 3 months. Since I've changed to the "new" ones, and I did get the kind that are indoor spots and have 15, I haven't changed one since. My electric bill was running more than my mom's consistently and after we changed those bulbs our bill dropped below hers and stayed less than hers- that's about the only thing I can imagine that helped. I just put them on my outside spotlights and they are SO SO slow to warm up but are great outside since we are out a lot w/ the pups.
    Do make sure you get the right ones b/c there was a house fire up here that they blamed on using the wrong bulb and it was the "curly" kind.
    I do have them in my ceiling fans and don't have a problem with them. I haven't replaced one either and they must have been there a year. The only place we had a problem was over my dd's mirror in her bathroom. She tried a higher watt and it was probably too much. Kathy is right about the gas inside so be careful disposing them too. I believe it's the same as a fluorescent.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

You cannot use flourescent blubs in fixtures that are dimmable.

I would go with the bulbs that are built for fans, they are less likely to be blown out early due to the vibrations the fan causes. I have a fan that's up about 25 feet and also wish I could use something that lasts a little longer. Unfortuantely, it is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    You cannot use flourescent blubs in fixtures that are dimmable.

I would go with the bulbs that are built for fans, they are less likely to be blown out early due to the vibrations the fan causes. I have a fan that's up about 25 feet and also wish I could use something that lasts a little longer. Unfortuantely, it is what it is.
    You are correct. When we put them in our ceiling fan, they just flickered. So I just use regular light bulbs.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

You must get the ones that are dimmable. They do cost a little more.

With the Energy bill that was just passed, this type of bulb will be the only available after, 2010 or 2012, The regular household bulb will be phased out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medic9016 View Post
    With the Energy bill that was just passed, this type of bulb will be the only available after, 2010 or 2012, The regular household bulb will be phased out.
    I'm very sorry to hear this.

Please, everyone be very careful with these bulbs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medic9016 View Post
    You must get the ones that are dimmable. They do cost a little more.

Fix one problem, create another. Fourescent bulbs contain mercury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    Fix one problem, create another. Fourescent bulbs contain mercury.
    This reminds me of something my BIL and SIL just told me about. I don't know how much truth is in this, but on a recent episode of Boston Legal, there was a court case involving living Green. They gave some damning information regarding the batteries in hybrid vehicles.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I've replace all my lamps for the new compact fluorescent bulb. Yes I know they contain mercury but I want to lower my electrical bill.
    It's not 'work' if your doing something you enjoy. Let's just say that I 'work' 5 days out of every 7.

And why do I work? So that I can take my family to WDW, silly goose!

00 - Swan
    03 - Caribbean Beach
    04 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    06 - POR
    07 - Contemporary
    08 - POR
    09 - POR
    2010 - Disney Wonder

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: