Quantcast DLR vs. WDW - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DLR vs. WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replying Polygirl. I have read many of your trip reports on the WDW board.

Like you I am also hesitant about flying across country. There is just something about flying from the Northeast (two hours) to WDW that has always made it more appealing.

I am very anxious to try it now, I wish I could find that special on the Travel Channel again.

We have the option of flying into John Wayne Airport from Providence, not direct, but that is okay. Prices also seem to be less that travelling to Orlando.

We have a week off in April but I dont think that is enough time, so I would like to go some time in August (not 2008) and plan on maybe 10 days, the 6 day Southern California ticket seems like an awesome value.

How about dining? I am so used to the dining plan that its hard to think outside of that box.

I look forward to reading your report.

Joanne

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonsmom View Post
    I am very anxious to try it now, I wish I could find that special on the Travel Channel again.
    You are in luck!

Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes
    Explore the mystique of the world's first modern theme park and the most enduring icons on the American landscape. Gain access to off-limits places, such as the secret club concealed in the park, and enjoy Tinkerbell's view as she starts the fireworks.

Airing on The Travel Channel
    Sunday, December 9 from 4:00pm – 5:00pm

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Melanie - I did an hour by hour check with my online guide and made a reminder.

Is this the same special as last week?

Joanne

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the same special as last week?
    Yes, it aired last week as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You!

Post Thanks / Like

How about dining? I am so used to the dining plan that its hard to think outside of that box.
    I can address this issue as someone with LOTS of experience with dining at WDW and Disneyland.

When it comes to Dining, I have to give the edge to WDW when it comes to diversity. There is simply MORE options because there are more locations. With that said, though, I find the QUALITY of the food to be better at Disneyland (specifically the counter service).

The dining plan at WDW is great. Disneyland has a "dining plan" but it is SO not the same at all, and I don't recommend it at all. Honestly, don't even bother looking into it. It's like comparing apples to elephants.

Disneyland does not have the "requirement" of making ADR's so far in advance. With LOTS of locals to cater to, most every restaurant on property takes walk ups and will be able to seat you within an hour, at most (longest waits are at the Downtown disney restaurants on weekends). The one exception to this is the Blue Bayou. if you want to eat here, you really need a reservation. This restaurant always books up. It's worth it, though! I highly recommend it for atmosphere and great food.

I would suggest exploring all that Disneyland has to offer where Dining is concerned. In general, the better options are outside the parks (hotels and Downtown Disney restaurants are very good). The great thing about DLR is that leaving the parks to eat is not the chore that it is at WDW.

As you decide on your trip dates, I hope you come back and ask more specific questions in the dining forum.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help Natalie, I will definitely let you know when our dates are set. I am a planner. I just love to plan vacations.

Is Blue Bayou appropriate for kids?

Would you recommend using the bus to get to DLR from the airport (I am planning on John Wayne airport) and then renting a car? Are there car rental options near DLR?

Right now, I am planning arriving and staying in DLR for 4 nights, then driving to San Diego. I would like to visit the Zoo and Sea World.

Do you think 2007 Southern California CityPass is a good value? It seems to be.

Thanks for all your help.

Joanne

Post Thanks / Like

Is Blue Bayou appropriate for kids?
    Kids will probably think it is fun to eat at Blue Bayou inside POTC. They have quite a few options on the children's menu.

Would you recommend using the bus to get to DLR from the airport (I am planning on John Wayne airport) and then renting a car?
    If you know you are going to rent a car, I would think it would be best just to rent your car at the airport. It is a fairly short & easy drive from the airport to DLR. I have driven it and I am directionally challenged.

Right now, I am planning arriving and staying in DLR for 4 nights, then driving to San Diego. I would like to visit the Zoo and Sea World.
    Do you think 2007 Southern California CityPass is a good value?
    If you are really going to use it I would say it is a good value. If purchased separately, I think Sea World is about $60 for a one day pass and the Zoo around $30.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Linda, I was thinking today we could probably get a better rate for a weekly rental vs. a few days. By then, I am sure GPS will be available in all cars.

I am DLR challenged, so forgive any questions that sound dumb. There is a restaurant inside POTC?

Also, what can you tell me about driving along the Pacific Coast Highway? I have been hearing about this forever, might as well, who knows when we would get cross country again.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a restaurant inside POTC?
    Yes. The Blue Bayou overlooks Pirates of the Caribbean - the same way San Angel does at Epcot's Mexico pavilion in WDW.

Very, very cool.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

First off, Blue Bayou is definitely kid friendly. They have a kids menu and the kids get pirate hats and cool placemats. It is not the type of restaurant that is loud and rowdy, though, so as long as your kids know how to behave in a "nice" restaurant, you'll be fine there. It's inside a park, though, so you don't have to dress up or anything at all (park clothes are expected).

The City Pass is an okay deal if you only want 3 days at Disneyland. That's all it includes. Sea World is pretty pricey as well. I would probably only recommend the City Pass if you want to ALSO go to Universal Hollywood.

Otherwise, buy your DLR hopper ticket separately from the Sea World and Zoo tickets. You may be able to purchase discounted tickets through AAA if you are a member.

I would recommend renting a car. I believe you have to pay for the bus from the airport to DLR, so you may as well use that money toward the car rental for the week and then you can have the flexibility to break up your DLR time with the San Diego time.

Click below for a listing of on site car rental companies at SNA.

http://www.ocair.com/groundtransport/rentalcars.htm

Driving to the DLR from the airport is SUPER easy. Also, driving down to San Diego from DLR is SUPER easy as well (only requires getting on one freeway the whole time). All you need to know is north vs. south.

Just for reference, there is a National Car rental office on Katella, less than one mile from the DLR main gate.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Just for reference, there is a National Car rental office on Katella, less than one mile from the DLR main gate.
    There is also a rental car office right in Downtown Disney, just steps from the Disneyland Hotel.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'll let you know. We leave early Sun. morning, and will be at the Candy Cane Inn, in a little under 48 hrs.

I've been to WDW 12 times, but never to DLR, even tho' it's only six hours away.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

While watching a Travel Channel special yesterday, my husband decided we should try DLR instead of WDW.

Knowing absolutely NOTHING about DLR, I am looking for some expert advise.

When is the best time to travel?

Is Summer generally humid, hot, crowded?

Which hotel do you prefer?

How many days in each park?

Which airport to fly into?

WDW offers Magical Express to resorts, does DLR offer this as well?

Thanks, any and all info is appreciated.
    --The best time to travel would be anytime other than Spring Break, summer, or any major holiday.

--It's not very humid there. At least it's nothing like Florida! But you will get 90-100 degree days. My suggestion is to NOT go in the summer, if you can manage it.

--I prefer the Grand Californian, because it's the most convenient to both parks, but the other two are great also.

--I would stay four to five full days in the parks. That gives you plenty of time to see everything, and do your favorites over again.

--The John Wayne Airport in Orange County is the only airport I've flown into, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's small and easy to navigate.

--I don't know about a Magical Express, because we usually drove. The two times I flew, I went with my best friend, and we stayed off property.

Hope this helps!
    Trips to WDW:
    March 2007 Disney's All Star Movies
    Sept/Oct. 2007 Disney's Port Orlean's Riverside
    Dec. 2008 Pop Century
    April/May 2010 Polynesian

**Countless trips to the Disneyland Resort**

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: