Quantcast Power of the Mouse - Anaheim backs off Housing Project Plan around DLR

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power of the Mouse - Anaheim backs off Housing Project Plan around DLR

In today's news:
    Anaheim pulls backing for housing project near Disneyland
    Vote rescinds action of seven months ago approving low-cost residences near the amusement park.
    By Dave McKibben, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    November 28, 2007
    The Anaheim City Council voted late Tuesday to withdraw its support of a controversial housing project near Disneyland. The 3-2 decision overturned a vote taken seven months ago to approve zoning for a 1,500-unit residential project including 225 low-cost apartments.

The issue had pitted Disney and tourist officials against housing advocates and some religious leaders. It also attracted national and international media attention, spawned three lawsuits, three ballot measures, threats of a recall and regular City Hall protests.

The proposed housing project began unraveling this month when Councilwoman Lucille Kring announced she would no longer support it. Kring said her switch was prompted by news that the deal between developer SunCal Cos. and owners of the 26-acre parcel at Katella Avenue and Haster Street had fallen through.

Councilwoman Lorri Galloway, the project's most ardent backer, had also planned to withdraw her support of zoning that allowed housing in the 2.2-square-mile area, but changed her mind over the weekend.

Disney spokesman Rob Doughty said: "We've always been about protecting the long-term vision of the resort area. We're pleased the council listened to the people of Anaheim, who also believed in that vision."

The council's reversal removed a Disney-backed referendum from the June ballot that would have challenged the earlier zoning change. Another side-effect of Tuesday's vote may be the dropping of a Disney lawsuit aimed at blocking the project.

But the debate over whether housing belongs in the resort district is far from over. Disney supporters are pushing forward with a June ballot initiative enabling voters to block construction there. Two projects potentially affected are a proposed 449-unit condo high-rise complex, and a plan including a 75-room boutique hotel and 191 condominium units on the site of a closed Toys R Us store.
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    șoș WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    șoș TDL 6-83, 9-91
    șoș DLR many, many

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

YAY!! This is such good news!! Well sort of, i hope they come to a final conclusion about this....i will picket if i have to.
    Ariel
    Disneyland Annual Pass Holder

VMK Name: IzzyInWonderland

1996-Disneyland Hotel
    1998-Disneyland Hotel
    2002-WDW All-Star Music Resort

COUNTLESS TRIPS TO DLR BUT ONLY 1 TRIP TO WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Great News!There is just something wrong with eminent domain, it should be against the law.
    First Trip To DL 11/56
    DLR PAP (for a long time and currently)
    July 17, 2005 I was there!
    July 17, 2010 I was there!
    VMK - Tinkcollector R.I.P.
    Member #1660 on Intercot West
    Tinkcollector on Intercot-West (R.I.P., good bye West-Side.)
    D23 Charter Member

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: