Quantcast Disney Dining Experience Program Changes - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I might be a jerk for saying this, but if that's the "tip" they want me to add, then I won't add a penny more. I know this may be punishing the servers but I'm a good tipper and tips are meant "to insure proper service." I don't enjoy being forced to tip a standard amount. It should be up to the individuals. I don't know how else to make a statement than by what disney understands, with my money.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

just read on another popular site that it has been confirmed that the automatic gratuity will be added on at all TS restaurants regardless if you are using the DDE card or not.
    many, many trips as a child
    WDW 2000 - offsite
    WDW 2001 - offsite
    WDW 2006 - Pop Century
    WDW 2007 - Poly Concierge / OKW
    October 2007- Became DVC Members!!
    February 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    May 2008 - Boardwak Villas
    August 2008 - Beach Club / Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I just emailed Disney expressing my dissatisfaction.
    For those of you who wish to convey your thoughts, here's the email address:

[email protected]

I figure the more they hear from us, the better our chances...
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I have a reservation already made for August 2008 and have received my total amount that is due including the basic dining plan. With this new 18% "service charge" added, where will this show up on my bill? Will it be added to my room and I will pay it at check out or what? Or will I be getting a new bill?

Post Thanks / Like

The service charge will be added to each individual check at the TS restaurants.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I have read through this entire thread, even posted on it earlier - and one thing still does not stand out as clear to me. Is it only the DDE and possibly DDP that is being affected, or are they going to charge a cash-paying guest an automatic 18% at TS spots as well? The post by Jason makes it sound like it's every TS spot... but the letter only went out to DDE folks, and was worded as a DDE issue. We've never done the DDP, as we're happy w/ brkfst in the room, trail mix and yogurt in our backpack and the occas. CS meal - but we've always enjoyed a good TS meal in the evening. So, it never made sense to pay for the DDP - we'd never get our $$ out of it. But to think they'd automatically make it mandatory across the board?? Does anyone know the definitive answer to this?
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding it will be at every TS restaurant no matter how you are paying for it.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    From my understanding it will be at every TS restaurant no matter how you are paying for it.
    Well then, I guess it doesn't really have anything to do w/ getting the DDE or DDP or not... it's all about service. And although I don't mind tipping 20% or more for good service, I sure don't like the idea of tipping 18% across the board, regardless of the service. All I can imagine is that service will definitely suffer, unless the managers really take a firm stand, and that's too bad.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

when I made my ressie for CRT last week I was charged 43.68 (or something like that... it was 43 something) and I was like, that is a lot of tax on a $35.99 lunch. So I called and the rep said that gratuity was already applied... soooo, it is for anyone, not just DDE.

I am like a few others on here, while I don't like the fact that I am automatically being charged for a tipped service before the service has been performed, it is going to save me a few bucks as I am a fairly generous tipper if the server is deserving... but believe me I will be the first to complain if I don't feel a server has earned that 18%...
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how the servers feel about this?
    Not only is this likely to result in smaller tips in many cases, but since the tip is being documented the servers won't be able pocket any tips without claiming them as taxable income.

I just don't see how this is to anyone's benefit in the long term...
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bet you anything that the union representing the servers had something to do with this. It really is making Harry Potter land seem more appealing to me. It seems Disney considers customers to be merely wallets to be looted. As long as we put up with it they will continue to increase the prices and lessen the benefits. I am beginning to root for the competition.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

While it may seem like this is the union's fault, but management made this change after the union ratified the new contract. If this had been in the new contract, the Sentinel would have reported it. I think this was a management decision, done after the contract was ratified so there could not be any opposition. Disney wants people to blame the union.

I confirmed while there last month that many restaurants were not giving the 18% gratuity that was charged, but only a percentage of it. After taxes, this came out to be about 10%. The restaurant pocketed the difference as a way to recoup money from the Disney Dining Plan. I am not sure that the wait staff will actually get this 18% gratuity. All Disney is saying is that they are charging it.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I confirmed while there last month that many restaurants were not giving the 18% gratuity that was charged, but only a percentage of it. After taxes, this came out to be about 10%. The restaurant pocketed the difference as a way to recoup money from the Disney Dining Plan. I am not sure that the wait staff will actually get this 18% gratuity. All Disney is saying is that they are charging it.
    Great so now we will listen to Server sob stories on top of the extra 18%
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

If I am being charged an extra 18% and Disney is calling it a "tip" or "gratuity" FOR THE SERVER, I sure as heck expect them to give all of it to the server (minus taxes) and not skim some off the top as a means of producing another income stream to "offset" this or "upgrade" that at the expense of both their guests and their employees.
    My 3 favorite parts of the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival.. the food, the wine, and the festival!!

Jambo!! AKV Owners as of Oct '07

Most Recent Visits:
    CR/OKW/POR Nov 2006
    AKL Dec 2006 and Jan 2007
    AKL/CR Oct 2007
    Future visits:
    AKV/OKW Dec 2007
    AKV May and Sept/Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow!!

Well, Unless there is some special reason as to me eating dinner "in the park" (ie..Candlelight Dinner Pkg)I will most likely find other eating arrangements. I for one refuse to pay out a "tip / gratuity" for services that most likely will not meet that standard. In all the dining experiences I have had @ WDW there have been very few times I would have left an 18% tip -- and it had very little to do with the quality of food. Rather it had to do with the quality of service, drinks not being refilled, portions of orders not being put on the table, condiments not brought when asked for multiple times, attitudes given, place settings not provided, the list could go on.

It's a shame that they feel they need to resort to 'forcing' people to pay this "tip / gratuity" instead of leaving it up to their own discretion.

And I'm sorry but a dinner that runs $80 (that's 2 meals at $25 each plus a drink each and dessert each) would be a tip of about $15. You had better be doing some GREAT serving to warrant that!!! Especially if there is only 2 of us.
    Carribean Beach / Saratoga Springs
    Boardwalk Villas / Saratoga Springs
    Wilderness Lodge Villas / Saratoga Springs
    Saratoga Springs
    SARATOGA SPRINGS & THE DISNEY WONDER

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I thought of is buffets where tips are traditionally lower than full service restaurants. Why should someone who brings me a drink and then leaves get 18%.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not thrilled with this. Still I wonder if we are all such good tippers and WDW normally provides excellent service, where is the problem.
    My plan is to always inform the manager if there is poor service, before the meal is over. No sense waiting and stewing . . . plus I think that will correct poor servers quicker than them just thinking some of us are cheapskates.
    Waitstaff at Disney buffets do a lot more than provide beverage service. But I do question them getting the same percentage tip as full service waitstaff.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Now I know that Disney has an army of attorneys to handle all legal aspects of their operations. However, I seriously question the legality of this move.

There was a case in New York City about 3 years ago where a man refused to pay the mandatory 18% because his party size was large (10 people or so).

The restaurant had him arrested as he left the establishment and refused to pay the entire "bill." The case went to court and HE WON. In other words, the courts sided with the customer - a gratuity is to be left at the customer's discretion. It is NOT up to the restaurant to pre-determine the amount of tip.

There were some legalities involved, namely the "naming" of the so-called gratuity. If it's called a "tip" or a "gratuity," it cannot be legally added to the bill. If it's called a "service charge," then it can be added at the restaurant's discretion - as long as advertised beforehand.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in WDW.
    You're absolutely correct. You cannot legally force people to pay a gratuity. You can add on a service charge, if you choose, but it must be labeled as such.

You can rest assured that my first meal at Disney where they attempt to force me to pay an 18% "tip" will result in a scene. I'm going to refuse to pay it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Another thing I thought of is buffets where tips are traditionally lower than full service restaurants. Why should someone who brings me a drink and then leaves get 18%.
    I will never tip someone 18% at a buffet. Period.

They can send the Mickey Police to drag me out of their resort and I'll be at the offices of the Orlando Sentinel quicker than you can say the words "bad press."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So, if you are one of the ones who got on the Bounceback offer, where you are already getting the DP for free, then it would make sense to upgrade to the DDP to avoid all this and get a lot more for your money?
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    I just emailed Disney expressing my dissatisfaction.
    For those of you who wish to convey your thoughts, here's the email address:

[email protected]

I figure the more they hear from us, the better our chances...
    Thanks for the link - I just did, as well. I wish they could understand that it's not the tipping we mind - it's the fact that our right to decide who deserves 18% is being taken away from us, and that since many of us already receive less than stellar service on occasion, what we foresee is even worse service, at a higher cost. Not what Disney wants, I would think!

Here is the letter, if anyone is interested...

[To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing in response to the news that has come out regarding your change in the tipping policy at Table Service locations throughout your parks.

I think it is very wrong that you are now forcing your guests to pay the waitstaff an automatic 18% gratuity, regardless of the service rendered. We have often had wonderful service, and have rewarded our server with a 20% gratuity, or more. But similarly, we have had poor service at times, and have felt justified in leaving the server 10% or so, based on the fact that drinks were never received, condiments forgotten, etc. I think this choice should be left to your guests, and that it is presumptuous of Disney, as a company, to assume that every service rendered deserves an automatic tip to be involved.

I have heard that if we feel that service is below the standard, we can certainly complain to the manager and have it taken care of. But who, really, wants to do that on vacation? Do you really think your guests want to stand in line and complain about something while they're enjoying a "magical" vacation? Kind-of puts a damper on the mood, so to speak. Mind you, we'll do it - but we'd rather have the choice of making our opinion known directly to the server through the tip we choose to leave.

Please re-consider this new policy change - I belong to a very large Disney fan-based website, and this is the biggest news on there right now. People who truly LOVE Disney and travel there 2-3 times/year are angry, feeling dis-illusioned by Disney right now, and I think it is very telling that folks are feeling "used" by this new policy, and are considering off-site locations for their meals now. People who are good tippers, who love the Table Service locations, and would normally be more than happy to tip well for good service. No one is upset by the idea of tipping - just the fact that Disney feels it can reserve the right to force our hand, and take away our choice in who deserves what.

Somehow, the fact that your staff deserves more power and respect for work not even done yet than the guests you say you love to have - that does not seem to have been Disney's way in the past. And I'm hoping, won't become Disney's new standard for the future.]
    Last edited by Dsnygirl; 11-10-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added letter...
    Blythe

Past trips -

Next -

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: