Quantcast 1st DLR Trip - by a WDW guy

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st DLR Trip - by a WDW guy

I had to go to a conference in Anaheim, so I chose to stay at the Grand Californian. I got to take DW but we had to ditch the kids with grandma.

Lodging: The GC is very nice and the location is perfect. With kids, however, I would choose the Disneyland Hotel. It has a great pool and good theming.

Food: We had great meals at Napa Rose and Catal (DTD). We also had a dinner at Blue Bayou, which had awesome atmosphere, but the food did not rise above "generally good." I had hoped for more, I guess.

On Sat. we woke up in Virginia Beach at 4:30 am EDT and took a 6:20 flight westward. We arrived at the hotel around 1:00 pm PDT, dropped off the bags and headed for DL. I had heard many opinions as to what to expect but decided to make my own impression.

We walked aimlessly for a bit, soaking in the park. Then we did some old WDW favorites (POTC, HM, Peter Pan, Buzz, Etc.). We had fun comparing and contrasting the parks. We were blown away, however, with Indiana Jones. What a great ride! Perhaps the best queueing theming I have seen. (DW made me mention that she beat me in Buzz.)

We skipped Nemo due to the very long lines. Snow White, IMHO, should be bulldozed to make way for Philharmagic. How has that ride lasted so long?

We shopped, snacked, and rode rides until after dark, then waited for the firewoks, which were outstanding. Tink was wonderful. By that time, we had been going for about 21 straight hours so we staggered back to the hotel and crashed.

On Sunday, we arrived at DL (a 5 minute walk from GC) before opening, stood at the rope and made a bee-line for Nemo ... along with a few thousand would-be runners with the same objective. We vowed not to run, but gave into the dark side after we power walked to the Matterhorn. Fortunately, this is where all the out-of-shape couch potatoes lose their lungs and start walking, we calmly jogged past the panting throng and entered the ropes with a mere ten minute wait ahead of us.

I liked Nemo. They used some of the same tech as in the Living Seas pavilion. They desparately need, however, a fastpass. Very slow loader - massive lines. We rode more rides, including Tiki Room, complete with Dole whip.

We went to DCA in the afternoon, which was quite empty. We walked right into TOT. I mean, right into the room that starts the ride. A little waiting in line can be a good thing. You get the thrill of anticipation and time to soak in the theming.

After a few days of work, we went back to DL on a very uncrowded Wed. We rode ride after ride with little or no wait. We did everything and most of it twice. SM and Soarin' were our favorites. Quite frankly, my 40 year old equilibrium ain't what it used to be, and we had to sit on the benches and sip cokes a few times, waiting for the ground to stop spinning. Fortunately, Small World was closed for renovations. Darn.

Shows:

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies is a great show. We also loved the Jedi Training Academy. I wish my DS6 could have been picked for that, though Darth would have had to wear "protection" against the little wildman. The HSM performance at DCA was very well done too. Unfortunately, we missed fantasmic due to fatigue on Sat. and a client dinner on Sun.

Unique to DLR:

We loved the Pirate theming on TSI, complete with a dead ringer for Capt. Jack Sparrow running around. Indiana Jones, as mentioned, is pure genius. We liked the Roger Rabbit and Monsters Inc. dark rides. Toontown was really well done. Matterhorn was OK too. Ariel's grotto was very pretty. And what's with the churro's every five feet?

I missed: TTA - one of my WDW favorites. Traditional HM - I guess I am just not a NMBC fan.

Bottom Line: WDW and DLR are different manifestations of a common magical theme. I just don't think in terms of a competitive comparison. I am a WDW guy, but I had a great time at DLR. If I am in So.Cal again, I'll drop by for some more magic.
    G

"Stay away from those they ain't nothin' but trouble"

1981 - Poly
    2004 - Beach Club
    2006 - Beach Club
    2007 - DLR - Grand Californian
    2008 - Beach Club
    Nov. 2009 - Poly

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your expeirence with us. I am glad that a WDW Guy had fun at Disneyland. Also glad to hear that you enjoyed the Billys!! Yee Haw!
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report! Glad to see you had a good time!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

That was a whole heck of a lot of initials!!! I had a hard time keeping up!! I went to DL last spring break..and honestly the only words that came from my mouth the whole time was: "it's so different...just so different"!!! I lived in Cali the first 8years of my life and remember bits of it...but I moved to Tampa in 2000 and have been a WDW gal ever since I first visited in '97..so when I first went back to DL last March it was overwhelming the differences to me. I do remember doing Captain EO though when I was a kid.

Sounds like you had a blast! Awesome! I'm jealous I still haven't been to DCA ...although I hear they are changing it up a bit...someday I'll get there! Course Disney Cruise comes first!!! HA!!!
    Raising a Disney Family the best way I know how...takin' them ALL the time! :-)
    Fav Ride = Soarin'
    Fav Park = ...uh all of them?
    Fav Character = Minnie Mouse
    ~ One shoe can change your life ~ Cinderella

Post Thanks / Like

Eating a churro every five feet...sounds about right

Thanks for sharing!

WDW:
    1991 (offsite)
    2001 (POR)
    2005 (POFQ)
    2006 (1 day trip to Epcot)
    2010 (POFQ)
    2014 (offsite DTD/Epcot)
    2014 (Holiday trip - Beach Club)
    DL:
    1990 (offsite)
    2003 (Paradise Pier)
    2007 (Grand Californian)
    2012 (Grand Californian)
    DCL:
    2012 (2 night cruise from NYC!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo Da Man! View Post
    .......... We walked right into TOT. I mean, right into the room that starts the ride. A little waiting in line can be a good thing. You get the thrill of anticipation and time to soak in the theming....
    I tend to agree with you on that point.

Glad you had a good time and fit in a lot of fun during your business trip.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Churros every five feet - thats exactly what I've been missing at WDW!
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo Da Man! View Post
    We were blown away, however, with Indiana Jones. What a great ride! Perhaps the best queueing theming I have seen.
    I agree with Indiana Jones ... the queue has still kept my nephew from going on the ride after two visits ... very well done. I never get tired of watching Tink fly around the castle. Too bad you didn't get to see Disneyland's version of Fantasmic, but maybe next time.
    Sounds like you had a great time, good report.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: