Quantcast Evening at IOA

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Evening at IOA

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Evening at IOA

Hi- just wanted to post a few comments about Islands of Adventure since I just got back from a complimentary hospitality industry group meeting over there this evening (I've joined a few such groups since I'm technically in the same business- marketing to visitors ).

After a somewhat drawn out thank you and awards ceremony (you know how business things go ), and a raffle with some nice prizes (I didn't win the 1 week luxury timeshare stay anywhere in the world, or anything else), we had dinner and dessert locations scattered around Marvel Super Hero Island. A couple hundred of us had the place to ourselves with 3 rides operating... Dr Doom (I don't do Dr Doom though I'd consider it in daylight if I could snap a couple of photos), Spiderman, and Hulk.

I rode Spiderman first, impressive as always- a fine integration of 3-D movies & ride technology. Then I went over to Hulk, thinking I'd do it 2 or 3 times... wrong. I sat in the 3rd row (bad choice? don't know), and I just felt thoroughly slammed around the whole ride. I wasn't terrified, just glad when it was done. No satisfaction or enjoyment, so not much motivation to go around again (with no line, folks just stayed on as long as they wanted ). So I went back and did Spidey again, had some dessert, and went home.

By comparison, my last rides on RRC a few weeks ago and EE a bit longer ago were as fun as ever. Even Kraken, which is every bit as intimidating as Hulk, doesn't seem as rough.

It's been several years since I've had an IOA pass. I used to ride Hulk occasionally (I don't remember getting such a beating- am I getting old? ), I enjoyed Fire & Ice a bit more (smoother), but mainly I always took a dip on Ripsaw Falls (Splash with economy theming) and Bilge Rat Barges (which puts Kali to shame). I always took extra clothes and changed in the restroom afterward- who likes to walk around dripping?

Unless I get clients who ask me to meet them there (that would be AOK ), not likely I'll be coughing up for Universal or IOA passes any time soon.
    Dec 1977 - my 1st MK visit
    1978-1994 - annual 1-day visits from TN OH and PA
    1995 - moved to Orlando
    1995-today - many many short visits with SP's and AP's
    2003-today - taking photos all over WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Stan, I bet you'll be going there more when the whole Harry Potter area is built out. We are planning our visit to Universal for that time

Post Thanks / Like

That's possible- but the other evening reminded me of the summer we had IOA passes (special deal) but not our usual Disney passes. I tried hard to pretend I was just as happy to go spend a few hr at IOA as at EPCOT or MGM... not quite. Then DW & I tried to find someplace to eat there as satisfying as, say, Garden Grill or the Plaza Restaurant. Yeah, right.

So I learned to enjoy the few things I really liked and mark time until we could get back to WDW. DW never really got into it.
    1995 - moved to Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

We love the Universal Theme Parks. We go every trip to Florida and usually spend 3 days there. Maybe if you got to ride more than 3 rides you would have liked it better. The Irish Pub at the studio has really good food. When we go to IOA we eat at City Walk. They have several really good places to eat that you may want to try if you go back again.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that City Walk (I like Jimmy Buffet's place ) should mostly be a better bet for good food than IOA, though my last impressions are some years ago and anything could have changed for the better or worse. And I'd forgotten Mythos in IOA- we had good food & experiences there. It didn't do much for me, but that probably says more about me than the place.

So I guess my previous comments are colored a bit by my Disney rose colored glasses, which unfortunately Disney has smudged or discolored a bit in recent years.
    1995 - moved to Orlando

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: