Quantcast "Disney" channel? I don't think so...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down "Disney" channel? I don't think so...

While I gots a few minutes left here...

How many of you are annoyed by the "current" Disney channel programming? I can't/don't even watch it any more *at all* with all the....well..."stuff"...that's on now.

Hannah Montana, Zack and Cody, Raven, all this teeny-bopper stuff is all I see any more, with the exception of the weekday morning stuff for the little ones (I see what's on the "Channel channel"....LOLOL). And then on the weekends, this stuff spills over onto ABC Saturday mornings; same with the Nickelodeon stuff and CBS. I see HOURS and HOURS of the same show on Disney (multiple episodes of the same show run one right after another). Saturday mornings were for the cartoons that weren't on in the afternoons after school....LOLOLOL...(Gummi Bears....bouncing here and there everywhere....high adventure that's beyond compare....)

I used to tape just about everything that was on late-night on Disney - the old "Vault Disney" stuff, especially everything about the parks. And even more so if it was a "Walt Disney Presents" with Walt himself in the park. I just can't stand all this "teeny-bopper" *stuff* that's on what was once a great channel for us "ol' farts" that like to reminisce (sp?).
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim

Unfortunately we are not in the demographic for the Disney Channel they are after Preschoolers with their morning programming and tweens the rest of the day and late into the night. The channel is wildly successful with these groups and that is why they expanded the programming that these groups watch. While I definately agree I loved the old Vault Disney Shows and my favorite show was WDW Inside Out and Disneyland Inside Out. These show weren't getting theratings or paying the bills with advertisers. I would love to see a more family channel spring up from Disney that allows the whole Family to enjoy shows together but I really don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I agree; however, to my kids (8,11, and 12) this it's the cat's meow. You can tell how successful Disney has been in marketing to the tweens by the inability for ANYONE to get a Hannah Montana concert ticket while she's on tour (they are selling for hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars).

What I do not understand is why Disney doesn't take advantage of the tweens parents who would love to see the old Disney Vault stuff late-night after the kids are in bed. I would love it if Disney Channels after 9pm would show old Disney movies and shows (kind of like "TV Land" channel does, but using old Disney shows/movies).

AwPhooey is offline Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not just you -- I feel the same way. Between Toon Disney and Disney Channel, there's barely anything decent on. Only occasionally does Toon Disney show feature length animated movies (or, they show them at crazy hours of the day) and Disney Channel rarely has anything worth watching.

When I was a child, Disney Channel had awesome shows... Good Morning, Mickey!, Donald Duck Presents, Welcome to Pooh Corner, Dumbo's Circus, Kids Incorporated, Mickey Mouse Club ... Heck, even Mousersize was somewhat entertaining because it had characters in the show.

If the current shows are that popular with their target audience, I think Disney should create a Disney Classic Channel with all of the good shows. I think execs would be surprised at how many viewers would tune in.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree 100%. We hardly ever watch the actual "Disney" channel. We watch ToonDisney farily often, but even that doesn't have any of the classic cartoons especially with Jetix in the mix now. (Since when did Superman and Batman become Disney characters, not to mention Pinky and the Brain who I thought were owned by Warner Brothers) I miss the old valut disney and Saturday morning cartoons even the Saturday morning cartoons from ABC like Recess, Pepper Anne, etc.. I guess the Hannah Montanna and Suite Life and such wouldn't be so bad, but they play the same ones over and over and over again . Sorry thanks for giving me an outlet to vent.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah because we don't have kids we almost never watch the Disney Channel. I think it would be great if the came up with like a Disney Classics channel or maybe even a Disney Travel Channel or maybe combine the 2. We adults need something to there are millions of us who love Disney.

Does Disney make more money from TV or the Disney Parks? Cause if they make more money from the parks wouldn't they want to have some kinda time period on the Disney Channel for a show on what's new and coming soon at the Parks to get even more people interested. An hour or 2 a week is not to much to ask for.

I thought Disney was for everyone not just for adults not just for kids but for families. So why are they just targeting a certain age group?

Sorry "AwPhooey" I just saw I had the same idea as you about having a Disney Classics Channel.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is constantly watching Hannah Montana and Suite Life! While I don't mind, I also wish they would get some new episodes! Sometimes I have to make her change it because I have seen that episode at least 2 or 3times so I know she has seen it at least 5!!!
    It would be nice if they would spice the programming up a bit and offer a few other shows, it does seem like they have introduced 3or 4 new ones in the last month so I am looking forward to that. They don't come on near as much as Suite Life and Hannah, but something is better than nothing!

I can remember as a kid racing to get home in time to watch The Mickey Mouse Club and Kids Incorporated! I also loved Dumbo's circus and Pooh!! I would definitely subscribe to a Disney Classics channel!! I think my daugther would like it also and maybe change the channel everyonce and awhile!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Well Hannah Montana is the single toughest concert ticket to get this year, so I'd say they're doing something right.

We're not in their demo, so they don't care if we don't like it.

My 5YO DD loves Disney Channel. It's all she watches.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As annoying as I find it, DH (now 9) loves the Disney channel and would watch it 24 hours a day if I let her.

It would be nice to see some of the classic Disney stuff, but the kids are really enjoying what it out there now...so I guess we really can't complain!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Re-runs of the old Wonderful World of Disney movies/shows after 9pm would be a great addition.

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are 2, 9 and 11 -- so Disney channel pretty much fits the bill for them at any given point in the day. As much as I love "classic" Disney -- these new shows are pretty cute and frankly -- I am glad there is something decent on for my kids to watch that I don't need to worry about content.
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenemmy View Post
    My kids are 2, 9 and 11 -- so Disney channel pretty much fits the bill for them at any given point in the day. As much as I love "classic" Disney -- these new shows are pretty cute and frankly -- I am glad there is something decent on for my kids to watch that I don't need to worry about content.

It works just fine for us!

Post Thanks / Like

In one sense, yes, I'm glad kids have some wholesome entertainment. I am a huge fan of kids shows. I sometimes still watch Sesame Street, I watch Fraggle Rock all the time, I have DVDs of old Disney cartoons like Rescue Rangers, DuckTales, Darkwing Duck... I remember watching MMC, Kids Incorporated, Under the Umbrella Tree, Flash Forward. I even liked Bug Juice, Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens and they were at popularity height when I was in high school, definitely out of the target age. I have not watched a lick of Hannah Montana, I guess I never catch it, but I have attempted to watch That's So Raven, Suite Life, Cory in the House, and I just don't like them. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's the best they can do, and the whole entire channel does not need to be tailored around toddlers and tweens.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's the best they can do, and the whole entire channel does not need to be tailored around toddlers and tweens.
    Why not when it's working? Just like we had things that were "Disney" to us when we were younger, the network as it stands today is "Disney" to this generation. Adults are not in the demographic.

Although I love the idea of a "classic" network, I just don't think it would be successful. Sorry, I don't think there are enough of us Disney fanatics out there.

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree that it's annoying that Disney tends to run the same episode over & over (and over & over &.... ), my DD's love this channel so much and I've yet to really find anything on it that I think is inappropriate for them to be watching. They're 6 & 9, so sure, some of the tween shows are a bit mature for them, but we turn them off... but Zack & Cody, HM, Cory... they're great, and I find myself singing along to the theme songs and enjoying the story lines!! (Did I just really admit that out loud??? )
    I agree that I'd love to see some of Disney's "classic" stuff brought back, but while they're having such huge success w/ this age group, I don't see it happening. So, I guess for now I'll just have to keep singing all the songs from HSM and HM....
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Why not when it's working? Just like we had things that were "Disney" to us when we were younger, the network as it stands today is "Disney" to this generation. Adults are not in the demographic.
    How many kids are up at 2am? There have been times when I am up late or can't sleep and all Disney Channel offers is re-runs of the tween shows they play all day. I don't see why they cant play some older movies or even classic Mickey cartoons that appeal to a broader audience once it is past the kiddies bed time.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

How many kids are up at 2am? There have been times when I am up late or can't sleep and all Disney Channel offers is re-runs of the tween shows they play all day. I don't see why they cant play some older movies or even classic Mickey cartoons that appeal to a broader audience once it is past the kiddies bed time.
    Now this I do agree with. After prime tween/pre-schooler hours, I gotta believe they'd do better on ratings if they showed more adult fare.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

To me that's the same as saying the Military Channel, for instance, should air children's programming during the day since that's when the majority of their target audience is at work. Hey, and you never know, if the kids are up sick in the middle of the night, at least they have something to watch.

You know, the Disney Channel works for me because I have kids who fit in the demographic and love the channel, and I get my Disney "fix" by watching the Travel Channel shows and the occasional Disney classic on the Hallmark Channel. I realize the situation doesn't work for everyone. Wish it could!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

To me that's the same as saying the Military Channel, for instance, should air children's programming during the day since that's when the majority of their target audience is at work.
    Well I'm not sure about all that now, Mel.

That would be asking the Military Channel to run programming that's counter to their primary content.

No one is suggesting that Disney Channel run horror films overnight or anything. But they could run more adult-oriented Disney fare. Seems to me they get better ratings. I gotta believe the number of Disney dweebs out there outnumbers the number of sick kids up at 2AM watching Hannah Montana reruns.

But I agree with you for the most part ... DD loves the Disney Channel and it works for us just the way it is. If I want something to watch at 2AM I watch the Military Channel!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Well I'm not sure about all that now, Mel.

That would be asking the Military Channel to run programming that's counter to their primary content.
    I know, I know, a little extreme. Hey, my 9yo is starting to get into all the war stuff, so maybe they can do some military programming on his level. He's not allowed to watch a lot of what's out there now.

Out of curiosity though, what is your idea of adult-oriented Disney fare? Different than what you can find on the Travel Channel or Food Network?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: