Quantcast New Canada Film...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down New Canada Film...

OK, so we went and saw the new Canada film a coupla weeks back.

Don't like it.

It's worse, in my opinion, than the original film. The original at least showed the beauty of the Great White North. The new film relies more on Martin Short's "comedy" (I don't find him all that funny) and the tying-in of "other Disney attractions" ("I'm late for my Soarin' FastPass...") There's also points in the new film where all nine screens are just FILLED with Short's face(s); I enjoyed the scenery and music of the original much better. I thought the whole point of a "Circle-Vision" film was so that you could look all the way around on all nine screens and not see the same picture twice. They also redid the "Canada (You're a Lifetime Journey)" song with someone from their version of American Idol, and I don't like it, either.

I've seen the original film quite a few times, and loved it. I doubt I'll see this new one more than twice.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jim,

I can't give my two cents yet as I haven't seen it. I do agree that Martin Short's face taking up too much space on a movie about Canada kind of misses the point. However, my understanding is that this movie focuses more on the cities and nightlife in Canada.

As a Canadian I always found it a little embarassing that it made us look like a bunch of woods dwelling lumberjacks.

Either way, this is definitely on my list for our trip in March.
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! I just hate hearing this because i've only seen the original video once and I fell in love with it. I was hoping that they would not make it worse but it sounds like it's gone down hill. Nothing against Martin Short but, I just can't see him doing the video! And if they don't use the circle-vision then it's just silly. That was some of the most entertaining material used!

So sad to see the original gone
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I truley enjoy Martin Short and I look forward to seeing the movie, and eating cheese soup!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the new version in the last couple of weeks and I really liked it!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I saw the new "O Canada" Circle Vision 3-D with some friends a couple of weeks ago and we all thought it was terrific! Not only does it update the original nicely, but with Martin Short narrating I thought it had an element of humor in it that was very entertaining. I was a fan of the old version for nostalgic reasons, but there are a few scenes in the new film that were preserved from the old, like the sledding/skating on the canal and the Mounties forming a circle on horseback. And of course, there's the "Canada" song, which I thought was beautifully redone by Eva Avila.

I would be interested to hear what Canadians think after they see the new version.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to seeing the new version of this next year. I'm somewhat of a Martin Short fan and it'll be interesting to see him back in Epcot, considering that the Wonders Of Life is only seasonal now.

Canada is interesting to me. I've always wanted to know what country it's tied to, considering that there are elements of British and French culture in the country.

Rather puzzling...Maybe some of our Canadian members could help me out on that one?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Post Thanks / Like

Canadian here!!!!

We saw the new movie at the beginning of October and really enjoyed it.

I think the new film portrayed a better Canadian feel than the old one did, to me personally anyway. They left a lot of the old film footage in, and I liked how they broke a lot of Canadian 'myths' (Snows 24-7 and is always dark, etc).

I am not a Martin Short fan either, and I feel they could have picked a better-known Canadian singer, but I think Eva Avila did a fantastic job on the re-make of the song (I could not tell you anything else she sings!)

Overall, we were very happy with the new film and wished we had of seen it more than once.

I was disappointed to learn they actually did a 're-dedication' ceremony for Canada, we were at EPCOT that day and had no clue it was going on or we would have been there.
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHMCWYG View Post
    considering that the Wonders Of Life is only seasonal now.

Canada is interesting to me. I've always wanted to know what country it's tied to, considering that there are elements of British and French culture in the country.

Rather puzzling...Maybe some of our Canadian members could help me out on that one?
    Ok, first about the film. As a Canadian, this is a vast improvement in showing our country. It shows the cities and multicultural flavour of the country. The first film played to unrealistic stereotypes of Canada and Canadians and was an annoyance and an embarassment.

Ok, about Wonders of Life, when we walked into it for the wine festival (its being used for that) last week, there was little left of the original. I doubt that its even seasonal now.

Canada has its routes in both the UK and France and we are not 'tied' to either. Generally, the French established Lower Canada (Quebec) and the British, upper Canada (now Ontario). There is a beautiful French for (Louisbourg) in Nova Scotia, and a magnificent British Fort (the Citadel in Halifax)) also in Nova Scotia. Both cultures led to our multicultural nation.

That continues today as our country welcome other cultures as part of a multicultural society and not the melting pot nature of the USA. Neither is better, just different.

The Oh Canada film captures that multicultural nature in the film along with the beauty of our landscape and the sophistication of our cities.

Loved that soapbox.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHMCWYG View Post

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

John, just wondering whereabouts do you live? Canada, to me, is actually very American-ized. Most of our television shows and stations are US, the majority of us speak English (Quebec & New Brunswick are mainly bi-lingual). I notice no real difference when we travel to the US, except we pay almost double for everything and our dollar is now above par!
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I am excited about the update. I have to agree that the old movie, while being nostalgic was outdated.
    When ever my family went to watch it we felt a little embarrassed about how we were portrayed.

The old film was beautifully shot and had amazing scenery and I will miss it but the update was needed in my opinion
    Paging Mr.Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived.
    Please give them a ring.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the update was rather good. There are still shots from the old film, plus a lot of new scenes. I liked seeing all the shots of the cities, seeing how modern they are and actually very neat! It makes me want to go visit all of them!

My only qualm is that there seemed to be a limited amout of 360º spots. There were a lot of one shot per screen, a lot more than the previous film. Thats pretty much it!

I didn't know the song would be the same as the original, except that Eva Avila is singing it. The male part should have been in there, but, that's a pet peeve of mine!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post

Canada has its routes in both the UK and France and we are not 'tied' to either. Generally, the French established Lower Canada (Quebec) and the British, upper Canada (now Ontario). There is a beautiful French for (Louisbourg) in Nova Scotia, and a magnificent British Fort (the Citadel in Halifax)) also in Nova Scotia. Both cultures led to our multicultural nation.

That continues today as our country welcome other cultures as part of a multicultural society and not the melting pot nature of the USA. Neither is better, just different.

The Oh Canada film captures that multicultural nature in the film along with the beauty of our landscape and the sophistication of our cities.

Loved that soapbox.
    Beautifully said. however, we *ARE* tied to Great Britain actually through the commonwealth. Granted we are pretty much independant, but not *completely* whereas we no longer have any affiliation with France ( other than through inherited culture ).
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

I cried when I saw the film. Because I couldn't beleive I stood there and watched it.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

After seeing the new version, I definitely like the original better. I'm not a big fan of Martin Short. And, I agree, the song was much better in the original version!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I like Martin Short. I can remember wanting to hop on the first plane to Canada after the first film. I didn't have that compulsion after this film .
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDudet View Post
    My only qualm is that there seemed to be a limited amout of 360º spots. There were a lot of one shot per screen, a lot more than the previous film.
    Yeah, that was my major problem with it. What's the point of a 360 movie if all of the screens are showing the same thing?
    "I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Liked it

I just saw the new version and really liked it. I thought it was a refreshing change. The old version was great also but I think it was definitely in need of a change. Canada is a beautiful country.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen it yet, but generally I do like Martin Short, and if I'm being honest the old Canada film bored me to death and was my least favorite circlevision film. I'll check this out in December.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I liked the new film a lot better than the sleepy original, to make up my mind, I watched it a lot during our recent visit. I liked the old film too but, it was obviously outdated and lacked in the diversity of the people. The updated song is more soulful now, a welcomed change - the french is sung a little better this time around I think. I did kinda of miss the male singer's counter point though, as another poster pointed out. I think Martin Short is so funny, but then again he reminds me of a childhood friend so, I'm probably a bit more partial and nostalgic. The only thing I really missed were the night skiers holding lanterns really, but I have a copy of the original on my computer - so it will surfice when that nostalgic feeling kicks in. The film made me want to "keep on walking north past the big silver ball, and tell them Martin sent me".
    Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: