Quantcast Gary’s Short INTERCOT Anniversary Trip Report

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gary’s Short INTERCOT Anniversary Trip Report

By now you’ve read all the trip reports of my compatriots. There’s really not a lot to add. So, I’ll fill in a few holes not covered by Ian and Emily. John, I don’t think, has ever provided a trip report.

Anyway, I arrived and everyone was at the MK having a good time. Unfortunately, my park admission was in John’s bag and I needed John to get it. So, I force the whole crew to meet me back at SSR lest I get lonely and start causing problems.

But, before I could meet them I had to find our room. The young lady at the front desk circled our room on the map and said, “Just go out these doors and turn right.” Following her directions I walked directly into the pool. Beyond that, I was presented with a myriad of options, as there were roughly 4,000 rooms beyond in every direction. According to my map, our room was just west of the cluster of trees near the water. Problem: The whole resort is a cluster of trees near water.

After walking for roughly six months, I finally located our room, dropped off my stuff and headed off to get some lunch which consisted of some cold chicken strips and decent homemade potato chips. I didn’t care; I had been up since way too early and wanted some caffeine, so I downed a few sodas.

The gang finally arrived and we watched John do some wheeling and dealing for his wife’s embroidery business. It was fascinating to watch at man talk about automated cross-stitching.

We then headed to the Poly for a meet and greet. I met, and subsequently greeted, many kind people. I particularly enjoyed meeting Blythe and her husband and, of course the crew from Magical Journeys. I finally was able to meet Wendy, my personal travel guru. How perfect is she? Well, not only did she organize an event for New Belgium Brewery (on of my favorites) she was also well-versed in several of the Colorado area’s largest cycling events. Beer and bikes. What more could I ask for?

I learned, however, that more people were interested in my daughter Gert than they are in meeting me. Not that I blame them. She is quite interesting and cute.

We had dinner at Kona, where I had the first round in my weekend Porkstravaganza. Tasty. I learned what it means to “go around the corner” and Frankie taught me about a lot of things that I’m not allowed to repeat unless I’m in certain parts of Louisiana.

Then, of course, was the Halloween party. I think everyone’s covered that pretty well. However, I’m not sure anyone has mentioned how Ian and I have an ability to summon the Headless Horseman by simply trying to accomplish something.

Background: In 2005, we were all waiting for the Boo to You parade when Ian and I decided we needed to hit a cash machine. We had plenty of time, we figured. We were wrong. While we were gone, the Headless Horseman came and went and everyone in our group was amazed. They told us it was the most amazing thing they had ever seen. It was like the Beatles got back together, jamming with Elvis, Jimi Hendrix and the ghost of Keith Richards’ fourth life (the one that fell out of a tree last year).

Ian and I vowed this wouldn’t happen this year. We were going to be vigilant. We were going to be aware. We were thirsty; let’s go get something to drink. Okay! Yeah, well, the Horseman came by. At least we saw him this time, while I was shoving a churro in my face.

I still have one problem with the whole Halloween party. Going alone makes me miss my kids. I kept seeing things that, no offense to my mates, I wanted to experience with the kids. I don’t know what that says about me. Perhaps that I’m a dork, which I already knew.

Saturday started early at EPCOT, which Ian covered pretty well. At lunch Frankie was trying to tell a story. I can’t remember what the story was about because I kept interrupting him while he was trying to tell it. After the third time, Frankie told me that if I interrupted him again I would have to sit by myself in the corner. So, I excused myself to the rest room. As I was leaving, Frankie started telling his story again. Instead of going to the bathroom, I went out of sight and called Ian. Ian answered and I told him to interrupt Frankie for me.

Somehow I think I will pay for that little joke in the future.

Let’s face it; no one wants to hear about the rest of my day because Saturday was all about the Illuminations event. It was, without a doubt, amazing. I took the job of handing out the wristbands to the paid attendees with Ian and I had the luxury of getting to meet everyone who was attending the event and getting acquainted with their wrists. I don’t know if it’s something about INTERCOT, but our users all have very nice wrists. Because I was outside waiting for attendees, my kind-hearted moderating cohorts were nice enough to bring me beer. The Margarita Senoritas brought me a Guinness and JPL and I learned all about French beer. We were surprised at how good it was, to be honest.

Like I said, the event was fantastic. I wish I could remember more of it. It’s all one big blur of wrists, hand shakes, blinking lights, and faces. I know I had conversations. I know I tasted some deserts, but it was all a blur. However, I managed to find Carol and John during Reflections of Earth and had a quiet moment with them amid the explosions.

After that was Jellyrolls. It was fun. I actually sang. And was disappointed that the piano players didn’t know Mr. Roboto. Note to Jellyrolls: Mr. Roboto is a show stopper. Learn it. If you do, you might even encourage this dork to dance. Might.

We were up bright and early for the INTERCOT staff breakfast at Boma. The bleary-eyed soldiers who closed down Jellyrolls happened to open Boma. Breakfast was pretty darn good. They had giant sausage. GIANT Sausage! I believe that it was the end of my weekend porkstravaganza. At every opportunity I ate pork. The sausage was the end.

I have this to say about Animal Kingdom Lodge: They have the shiniest wood floors I’ve ever seen.

I can sum up our day at AK with this: Ian broke everything. He continued breaking things at Downtown Disney and the MK. He even broke a bus driver. But we did find TiggTigg5 during the day, so Ian did muster some good luck for us.

Oh, and if you ever find yourself tired, missing your kids and filled with pork, do not go to the Nemo show. You will get misty-eyed.

About that bus ride: I honestly thought it was an episode of The Twilight Zone. “Imagine if you will four tired travelers trapped on a bus going nowhere. Very, very slowly.” Let’s put it this way: I got on the bus clean shaven. I got off the bus looking like Grizzly Adams.

John, Ian and I had a nice dinner at Olivia’s at OKW, where I ordered the chicken and destroyed my streak of pork. It was a well fought meal, though. I will say this about the Disney Dining Plan, while it feeds you when you’re not hungry on a meticulously planned schedule, it certainly doesn’t facilitate feeding you when you’re actually hungry. If it weren’t for a fantastic CM who found us a table at Olivia’s, I fear a ravenous John and Ian would have roasted and eaten me in the SSR parking lot.

It’s hard to tell based on this truncated trip report of four days compressed into one messy thought, but this was the most fun I’ve had at WDW without my family or wife. We had a great time. They say you’re only as good as the company you keep. If that’s true, I’m a great, great man. I couldn’t have wished for better traveling companions than John, Ian and Emily. It was the perfect mixture of childish glee, bitter cynicism and off color jokes.

Ian was a great roommate, despite all his warnings beforehand. It’s funny, because while Ian and I might both be very hard on Disney for things we like or don’t like, it’s all because we love it so much. I remember sitting at lunch one day, just railing on something we wish was different and I realized that if you just listened to the words, you’d think we weren’t happy with our trip. But if you listened to the passion, you’d realize all of our nit-picking is because of love. Simple love of those 42 square miles.

Funnily enough, our nit-picking was only a tiny portion of our trip. Because, when left to our own devices, these two dads just sat there bragging about our kids. And when we weren’t bragging, we were on the phone with the kids back home.

I’m sure there will be a next time for all of us. The INTERCOT 10th Anniversary was a resounding success all around. However, because I was pressed for time, next time I see them, the first round for Jeff, Beth, Carol and Donna is on me.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said, as usual, Gary. And being around you guys talking about your kids, it's obvious how much you guys adore them, and I think that's really cool. It's something I don't have, but I would imagine seeing WDW with your kids just opens up a whole new world of experiences. I'm sure it's hard being there without them, but hopefully the adult fun wasn't too difficult to handle. Pork and Guinness can do a lot to cover the pain, no?

Although I think I've said it ad nauseam, it was a blast hanging out with you all weekend and can't wait to do it again!

Post Thanks / Like

About that bus ride: I honestly thought it was an episode of The Twilight Zone. “Imagine if you will four tired travelers trapped on a bus going nowhere. Very, very slowly.” Let’s put it this way: I got on the bus clean shaven. I got off the bus looking like Grizzly Adams.
    Too funny! I'm wondering if this is the same bus driver we had one night. I hadn't really noticed but my husband started pointing out to me that we never seemed to get out of second gear!

I've often enjoyed your humor on the boards! As I've also enjoyed Ian's and Frankie's humor! I was glad to finally meet you!

And, yes, I had one of those wrists you checked in for the Illuminations meet!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post
    Ian was a great roommate, despite all his warnings beforehand. It’s funny, because while Ian and I might both be very hard on Disney for things we like or don’t like, it’s all because we love it so much. I remember sitting at lunch one day, just railing on something we wish was different and I realized that if you just listened to the words, you’d think we weren’t happy with our trip. But if you listened to the passion, you’d realize all of our nit-picking is because of love. Simple love of those 42 square miles.
    Hey, Gary, I thought WDW was 43 or 47 square miles. What square miles do you not love ?

It was great seeing you again. The Jellyrolls event is one that deserves to be repeated.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    And, yes, I had one of those wrists you checked in for the Illuminations meet!
    As I recall, Linda, your wrist was youthful and like porcelain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Hey, Gary, I thought WDW was 43 or 47 square miles. What square miles do you not love
    Actually, we're both wrong. It's only 40 square miles. Disney sold some of it off to pay for Al Weis' toupee.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your fun recap of your amazing 10th Anniversary trip!!

I so wished I could have been a part of it, as I love spending time on the boards with my fellow Disney loving and all around nice people.
    Maybe another time.

Thanks again for all you do to keep Intercot on.

With great thanks and appreciation,
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The young lady at the front desk circled our room on the map and said, “Just go out these doors and turn right.”
    I got those same directions and ended up in the same pool.

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac
    ... Ian and I have an ability to summon the Headless Horseman by simply trying to accomplish something ...
    I know ... I mean I like you and all, Gar, but I think that's the last time I'll do MNSSHP with you. The combo of our masculine powers much be too much for the poor HH to handle.

I still have one problem with the whole Halloween party. Going alone makes me miss my kids. I kept seeing things that, no offense to my mates, I wanted to experience with the kids. I don’t know what that says about me. Perhaps that I’m a dork, which I already knew.
    No offense taken! In fact, if you're a dork, then I am, too. I missed DW and my munchkins the entire trip.

At lunch Frankie was trying to tell a story. I can’t remember what the story was about because I kept interrupting him while he was trying to tell it. After the third time, Frankie told me that if I interrupted him again I would have to sit by myself in the corner. So, I excused myself to the rest room. As I was leaving, Frankie started telling his story again. Instead of going to the bathroom, I went out of sight and called Ian. Ian answered and I told him to interrupt Frankie for me.
    Definitely one of the funniest moments of the trip!

Oh, and if you ever find yourself tired, missing your kids and filled with pork, do not go to the Nemo show. You will get misty-eyed.
    I'm so glad it wasn't just me. When Nemo busts into that verse, "That's my, Dad! I knew all along that underneath he's really brave and strong!" I just about blubbered like a baby.

Not surprising, really, since you could tell from how much we were both on the phone going, "I know ... I love you, too, honey. Yes I miss you a lot. I'll be home soon. Big kiss from Daddy!" that we're both seriously into our kids. As it should be.

If it weren’t for a fantastic CM who found us a table at Olivia’s, I fear a ravenous John and Ian would have roasted and eaten me in the SSR parking lot.
    I can admit it now, but John and I actually had that very thing planned. If you caught us, we were going to claim the spit was a new INTERCOT branded lightning rod John was thinking of marketing.

I couldn’t have wished for better traveling companions than John, Ian and Emily. It was the perfect mixture of childish glee, bitter cynicism and off color jokes.
    Come on now ... my glee wasn't that childish, was it??

Amen, brother. Amen.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the awesome trip report (again) Gary - and we enjoyed meeting you equally as much!! (And not b/c you're Gert's dad, although it'd be pretty funny to get Gert and our Emma together, I'm fairly sure of that.... )

Thanks for making me smile once again, reading about your adventures -- and being able to re-live just a little of the magic now that we're home. Sigh... is it time for the 15th anniv. party yet???
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, you've made my cheeks hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Thanks for making me smile once again, reading about your adventures -- and being able to re-live just a little of the magic now that we're home. Sigh... is it time for the 15th anniv. party yet???
    Do we really have to wait until 15?? Couldn't we celebrate a dozen years? Please, pretty please!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

But, before I could meet them I had to find our room. The young lady at the front desk circled our room on the map and said, “Just go out these doors and turn right.” Following her directions I walked directly into the pool.
    I really hope you did not get to wet.....

Frankie taught me about a lot of things that I’m not allowed to repeat unless I’m in certain parts of Louisiana.
    Oh yes I think I know some of these....... I am from Louisiana......

At lunch Frankie was trying to tell a story. I can’t remember what the story was about because I kept interrupting him while he was trying to tell it. After the third time, Frankie told me that if I interrupted him again I would have to sit by myself in the corner.

Somehow I think I will pay for that little joke in the future.
    You do know that was Frankies evil twin right........

I can sum up our day at AK with this: Ian broke everything. He continued breaking things at Downtown Disney and the MK. He even broke a bus driver.
    Why do I feel there is more to this story than is being told...........

Thank you so much for the report...... I can tell you that I will be at the next one....... I cant miss this again.......

Thanks Gary....

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, Gary... if Bret is there next time you better be careful! There just might BE a bbq at SSR! (Good thing it's close to the fire department. )
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    Gary, you've made my cheeks hurt.

Do we really have to wait until 15?? Couldn't we celebrate a dozen years? Please, pretty please!
    Right there with you, Ellen... we ought to have our AP's by then, so another trip should definitely have a "meet" involved!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    OMG, Gary... if Bret is there next time you better be careful! There just might BE a bbq at SSR! (Good thing it's close to the fire department. )
    Ellen..... he was full of PORK you know......

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, from reading Ian's reports to yours, I can't wait for the next meet. You guys sound like a barrel of laughs. Hopefully, y'all won't wait until the 15th. Maybe a bit sooner? hmm?

Thanks so much for sharing your trip!
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Another great report of the weekend, sounds like great times were had by all.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, Gary! These snippets from each of you are SO amusing! I regret more and more not being able to attend. Thanks for sharing your side of the story!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

It's always fun to read reports, but having the multi-view ones has been a riot! thanks for adding to the fun.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm loving these reports! Ya'll sooo funny. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose cheeks are aching.

I am sorry that I couldnt' have been there in person, but living vicariously will have to suffice for now.
    Jan 06 CBR
    Sep 06 AKL & YC

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, I just love your reports!

You like childish, off-color behavior? How did we NOT meet??

I think it is so sweet how badly you and Ian missed your kids and wives.

I missed my DH and DD, too, but at the same time I thoroughly enjoyed being just "me" for the weekend. (Does that sound as selfish as I think it does? )

Congratulations on the porkstravaganza! That's mighty impressive!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about anyone else..but I think Ian deserves a medal for sharing a room with a guy who admittedly had a "Pork Extravaganza!"...It is a wonder he made it out alive! Thanks for the absolutely hilarious report..I am becoming even more depressed that I was not there..I agree..we should have another meet asap!
    michelle

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: