Quantcast DLR -- DCA Expansion/Renovation Discussion [merged] - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Has construction begun on the DCA overhaul?

It takes Disney forever to plan and decide on new attractions, but once they announce it, it seems they generally get right on it. Are there any signs of construction/demolition going on at DCA yet? I know the GC expansion was well underway during our last visit in November, but, other than the Toy Story Mania construction, I didn't see anything happening at DCA.
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where is the new "Cars" land going to be?

They announced a 12 acre "Cars" Radiator Springs expansion at DCA. The only place I can think to put it would be the Lion King parking lot at the corner of Harbor & Katella.

Anyone have any info or insights?
    Tom

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be sort of behind Tower of Terror. There will be a "cable car" that goes from the central plaza out to Cars Land (supposedly).
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing that is obvious yet, except that the Sun Plaza fountain is never on anymore (it's set to be taken out).

Like you mentioned, construction on the GCV is very much underway. If you want to see a good view of it, go up the Redwood Creek Challenge trail and climb to the highest "lookout". You can see everything!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    It's going to be sort of behind Tower of Terror. There will be a "cable car" that goes from the central plaza out to Cars Land (supposedly).
    Yep, that's the parking lot. What kind of cable car are they planning? Kind of like the old Skyway??
    Tom

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SignguyTom View Post
    Yep, that's the parking lot. What kind of cable car are they planning? Kind of like the old Skyway??
    Cable car as in San Francisco ... a trolley.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    Cable car as in San Francisco ... a trolley.
    Trolley is a better description than Cable Car which might be misleading.

They're based on the Pacific Electric Railway that ran around Los Angeles and their "Red" cars of that era from when Walt first came to California (there was a reference to the Red Cars in Who Framed Roger Rabbit).

The Red Car route in DCA will be more through the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area and linking it with the Walt Disney Plaza (what now stands as the Sunshine Plaza).

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SignguyTom View Post
    Are there any signs of construction/demolition going on at DCA yet?
    No outward signs of major construction just yet (not counting the work on Paradise Pier of course).

The schedule is very tricky and aggressive, since the park will remain open as it's being transformed. The challenge is managing all the projects running concurrently and the traffic flow of routing guests around the park will be interesting.

So the goal is to balance what projects can be upgraded and ready for guests as other areas are being worked on.

Starting this summer work will begin on Cars Land since that is all new development and can proceed without much impact to guest flow but has to start because of the scope of adding an entire new themed area to the park with a major E-ticket anchor.

Paradise Pier work is underway and will continue- you'll really start seeing more of the transformation work kick off this fall and the first glimpses of the re-worked pier opened by the holidays and then the new construction (Little Mermaid, etc) starting in early 2009

The plaza re-theming I'd expect in late 2009 and the other areas like Hollywood Pictures Backlot work sometime in 2010.

All dates are of course subject to adjustments as necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot wait to see the new ride. We are going to be there the week of July 4th. Kind of exciting to be able to see something new not long after opening for the first time, especially in Calif Adv. We've only actually been there once. I'm glad to see that more Disney like things are being added. While "I", as an adult enjoy this park, it just didn't have a Disney feel to it enough. I would liked to see Mickey Mouse with aviator outfits on the walls or in posters around Soarin'.... just to add some Disney/Mickey likeness to the different theme's of this park? I think they will get it up to par over time.

~WiLdOrCa!~
    Vickie
    "Dead men tell no tales"

Post Thanks / Like

Now that we can say that Toy Story Mania is done what is next for DCA to get down? I think it may be Ariel's ride send there taking her meet and greet away from Disneyland side and moving it over to DCA side when they make her ride. I have ask this question on a nother web site and there not saying nothing. So what do you guys think is next.
    DLand character wanted list.

1. DUMBO 2. BLUE FAIRY 3. TARZAN 4. BRER RABBIT 8. JOHN SMITH 9. LAUNCH PAD 11. LOTSO 14. GYPSY

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely it will be the Little Mermaid ride since sources have Golden Dream closing sometime this year and being relocated
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Orange Stinger at California Adventure to get new Disney theme

Los Angeles Times
    By Brady MacDonald | Staff Writer
    June 16, 2008

The Orange Stinger swing ride will get a new Disney theme and back story as part of the planned $1.1-billion Disney’s California Adventure makeover, Walt Disney Imagineering officials confirmed.

Gone will be the 40-foot-tall orange peel that surrounds the 48-seat spinning swing set and the Disney-free buzzing bumble bee theme, Imagineering officials said.

In its place: a Victorian architectural style more akin to the remade Paradise Pier section of the Anaheim theme park represented by the new Toy Story Mania attraction.

Imagineering officials declined to elaborate on the new “Disney theme.”

Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

My sources indicate that it will be themed to the Mickey Mouse cartoon "The Band Concert"

The building around the ride will look like a giant "gazebo" band stage often seen in small town, town squares. The center of the ride will look like a tornado with a Mickey Conductor on top and the chairs will look like various musical instruments spinning around the tornado vortex.

Post Thanks / Like

While I am somewhat a newbie to the DCA park (3 visits) I enjoyed each of my trips. While the park did offer some very entertaining things to do(ToT, Screamin', Soaring over CA, and the Animation Studio, I never had the same ability to spend an entire day in the park and feel as if I still had more to see. I hope that Disney will continue to add new attractions that attract the thrill seeking type. While by no means do I mean turn it into a 6-Flags like park but people seemed to have been drawn to it by the more extreme rides (Tot and Screamin) and I think Disney would be well off to add maybe several more rides that would complement this theme.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure there is much new here....

Three big changes planned for the Disneyland Resort

The OC Register
    August 8, 2008

The Sun Wheel in Disney’s California Adventure is expected to get a facelift, Tinkerbell will push out the Little Mermaid and the Orange Stinger will turn silly.

Plans for renovations and additions at Disney’s California Adventure will include re-theming the Sun Wheel as Mickey’s Fun Wheel and the Orange Stinger as a Silly Symphonies-based ride. Also, the Little Mermaid meet and greet area in Disneyland’s Tomorrowland is planned to become a fairy meet and greet.

MICKEY’S FUN WHEEL: A Disney Imagineering official confirmed tonight that the Sun Wheel will join the attractions being changed in the Paradise Pier area of Disney’s California Adventure. The main change expected will be removing the current sun face in the middle of the wheel and replacing it with a Mickey Mouse face. The Mickey Mouse face is planned to be a classic wide-eyed Mickey Mouse.

SILLY SYMPHONIES: The Orange Stinger will join in planned changes for the pier-area — expected to change from the current Orange Stinger theme to a Silly Symphonies theme. Currently, the attraction is a swing ride inside a giant orange sitting lakeside and plans show that the building’s foundation will remain the same, while the orange and even round building are planned to change. The attraction will be based on the classic “Silly Symphonies” animations done by Walt Disney’s animation studio in the 1930s. The band leader, Mickey Mouse, is expected to be part of the ride.

TINKERBELL: A change is also planned for Disneyland, the Imagineering official said tonight. The current Little Mermaid meet and greet next to the Tomorrowland entrance is planned to be replaced by a fairy and Tinkerbell meet and greet. The area, as currently planned, will make guests feel like they’ve shrunk down to fairy-size and the path will be filled with pixie dust.

No date is given for these three planned attractions. Renovations at Disney’s California Adventure (which includes adding a Cars Land and a Little Mermaid attraction) is expected to cost $1.2 billion and be finished by 2012. As far as the fairy and Tinkerbell area, the only relevant date is that Tinkerbell will star in her own DVD-movie set for an Oct. 28 release.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Sun Wheel was going to fit in nicely with the new theming just the way it is now and am surprised that it is being changed.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if they have opened the preview center yet, or when they might?

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that is not open yet. I am not sure when it is scheduled to open, but I will contact some sources I have and see if I can get some info. I would love to see it during my trip at the end of the month!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the Sun Wheel idea at ALL. I mean, no offense to Mickey or anything. But, that wheel can be seen from FAR away. It doesn't need to have such a stamp on it like that. The roller coaster already has a Mickey logo that, in my opinion, is very tastefully done. To have a GIANT Mickey FACE on the ferris wheel, well, that is just overkill.

Plus, I think the Sunwheel is beautiful as is. It is a one of a kind attraction. Why do they have to mess with it? It's not going to take away from their planned theme. In fact, I really think adding a Giant Mickey Face WILL...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I don't like the Sun Wheel idea at ALL. I mean, no offense to Mickey or anything. But, that wheel can be seen from FAR away. It doesn't need to have such a stamp on it like that. The roller coaster already has a Mickey logo that, in my opinion, is very tastefully done. To have a GIANT Mickey FACE on the ferris wheel, well, that is just overkill.

Plus, I think the Sunwheel is beautiful as is. It is a one of a kind attraction. Why do they have to mess with it? It's not going to take away from their planned theme. In fact, I really think adding a Giant Mickey Face WILL...
    From the original rumors that were out Disney is also taking out the lighted Mickey head on Screamin' -- I am not a fan of that either, I LOVE how it looks at night.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: