Quantcast Table Crashers!! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I have no problem whatsoever in sharing my table, in fact I typically find it rather enjoyable. I enjoy talking to people I don't know, to me it's part of the fun of WDW. But then, I talk to strangers where ever I go, while waiting in lines, on the busses, or just sitting on a bench.

Now, that being said, typically I won't impose on someone by asking if I can sit with them. Occasionally, like say 2 people at a table for 6 or 8, I would probably ask. Or at places where the table are basically table for 2 pushed toghether, I might ask to use one of the tables. Or if there is absolutely NO other place to sit, I might consider asking. But otherwise, I wouldn't choose to impose.

However, if I'm sitting and see someone, or a couple looking for seats and I have extras, I'll offer them up. And if seat are offered to me, I have no problem using them.

We ate at the Biergarten for the first time on our last trip, and I thought it was great that they sit you with other people.
    Marker from MO

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just have to add one more thing about Food Court etiquette. Every year my family and very close family friends attend the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto. One building of the exhibition is dedicated to food. There are small knots of tables throughout the building and very little place to cop a squat on the grounds outside the building, so seats are at a premium all day.

Sometimes, we end up hovering over people who are just about finished their meals with our trays of food in our hands, kinda like vultures. Rude? Nah, as someone else posted, it's every man for himself!

Other times we have seen a family get up and leave making enough room for all twelve of us (various and sundry bf's and gf's are now included in these outings). When that happens, one of us usually dives onto the empty seats and yells, "Quick! Go get some food!"

Just had to add a little light humour to a situation that seems to be coming polarised into two heavily armed camps.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a huge difference between asking to sit at someone's table and being asked to sit with them. If DH and I have room at our table and see others waiting with food, I may feel compelled to invite them over to join us, or at least hurry a little so they can have our table. I wouldn't like it if someone were to come and ask me to sit at our table (if it was a small table). If it's a huge table and DH and I are on one end I wouldn't mind if others were at the opposite end. I dont' really like eating with strangers - we've always avoided places like Biergarten and when we did go (once) we really didn't enoy it.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree with the original poster. If you didn't want other people to sit at your table you should say that. I think it's good to share large tables though. While on our Honeymoon in January DH and I asked to join a few people at a large table during breakfast hours at the Pop Century food court because there were literally no other seats. Our room was too far away to eat in and we wanted to get to the parks. I think if you really want a table all to yourselves you should try to get a table that only seats however many people you are eating with. Maybe put a sweater over the other seat? Sorry you were uncomfortable, but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. Oh, and we asked before we sat down.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by January-2007 View Post
    I have to disagree with the original poster. If you didn't want other people to sit at your table you should say that. I think it's good to share large tables though. While on our Honeymoon in January DH and I asked to join a few people at a large table during breakfast hours at the Pop Century food court because there were literally no other seats. Our room was too far away to eat in and we wanted to get to the parks. I think if you really want a table all to yourselves you should try to get a table that only seats however many people you are eating with. Maybe put a sweater over the other seat? Sorry you were uncomfortable, but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. Oh, and we asked before we sat down.
    Hats, bags, jackets....been there done that. Tried that at Japan this past rip, and still had table crashers.

Trust me, I have no problem with telling someone "No". Plus being a fairly large guy 6'3" 240+ I usually don't get a lot of back talk if I do tell someone "No".

However, I am at Disney and really don't want to make a bad experience for someone, even if they are behaving in a way I feel is wrong.

I am lucky enough to go fairly often, some people have saved for years to go to Disney. I really wouldn't want to tarnish their experience by being a jerk.
    Randy

It all started with a mouse. WD

*85 thru 98 - Offsite
    *Oct 99 - CBR
    *Aug 02 - CBR
    *May 03 - Offsite
    *May 05 - POFQ
    *Sept 05 - POFQ
    *June 07 - Offsite
    *July 07 - Offsite
    *Oct 07 - POFQ
    *Dec 07 - Offsite
    *May 08 - Offsite
    *Sept 08 - CBR
    *May 09 - POFQ
    *Lost count!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I am odd but I LOVE sharing a table with other folks. I have been known to see a stranded family with trays in hand and hungry kids in tow and invite them to sit down at our overly ample table.

Momma always said I could talk the ears off a brick wall too so just beware, if you come to my table and sit down, I will talk to you.. a lot!!
    My 3 favorite parts of the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival.. the food, the wine, and the festival!!

Jambo!! AKV Owners as of Oct '07

Most Recent Visits:
    CR/OKW/POR Nov 2006
    AKL Dec 2006 and Jan 2007
    AKL/CR Oct 2007
    Future visits:
    AKV/OKW Dec 2007
    AKV May and Sept/Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hmm....

I wouldn't take a large table ( for 6 or more) for two of us and if i was at one - the other end is fair game. For me, eating habits would be the bothersome issue. Not everyone has, IMHO, good table manners and eating habits - so I don't want them next to me. Likewise, they might not like mine.
    At Pecos Bills, many a time, it has been packed when we get there. We wait, order and watch (from a polite distance) for the next available spot then pounce!
    If we are preparing to leave, I will often catch the eye of someone 'searching' and let them know we are in the process of vacating the space.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, I didn't realize that people would feel so strongly about this. If any of you are looking for a table in a packed CS dining room, you can feel free to come sit with me, because I don't care in the slighest! I think part of the fun at Disney is meeting new people and having nice conversations.
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I also love to meet new people at Disney when I'm waiting at a bus stop, in a ride line, on the bus, waiting for a show to start, etc. However, I wouldn't like sharing a table with someone I didn't know. That would be really weird to me. My husband is one who can talk the ears off someone, but he is also a germ freak, so if someone had really bad table manners, he would hate it.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

I so felt like not sharing my table ever until I went to the 96 Olympic games in Atlanta. 10 days there fixed My "I want my space and need it now attitude". The huge amount of multi cultural attendees in very very crowded food venues taught me to share. The french, germans, africans, asians you name it just sat down many without even a "Would you mind?" At first I was like hey wait a minute and then I realized how much I got from it.... a little good Karma, good vibes etc. If I want privacy, ADR at a sit down. I was in Disney just last week..some of the counter service places were so busy we just walked out. I personally would have felt guilty to have a table with just me and my son and not share. IMHO only.
    Disneyland '73 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '81 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '87 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '92 off site (Family Home)
    DW Oct. '07 WL
    DW Sept '08 POFQ
    DW July '09 Off site (Family Home)
    DW Feb '12 POFQ
    DW Nov '13 Off site (Hilton Parc Soleil, YUCK!)

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I've travelled to enough countries where it's common to eat with people you don't know that it wouldn't really occur to me that it should bother me for someone to ask to join me. I definately think it's polite to ask before you sit down at someone's table, but you never know where and when you're going to make new friends, and where better than WDW

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

There is absolutely no reason why a family cannot share a private meal at a counter service. Talk about self importance...I cannot imagine thinking myself so much above everyone else that I could just plop down at any vacant seat. HOW RUDE!!!!!!! Obviously some people were not brought up with manners. I will have no problem what so ever telling someone, "Sorry but this seat's taken" to have my meal with my family. You wouldn't sit down with another family uninvited at McDonalds and you would probably demand a manager if you went to the Outback and had a couple seated with you since you were at such a large booth. Just because it is Disney doesn't mean all rules of etiquette are thrown out the window!! We all paid through the nose to be there and we should all have the type of vacation we invisioned. For me, it does not include eating with strangers that were uninvited. And just a quick note, I am sure that when Minnie4me was asked if the seats were taken, they probably expected them to take the seats to another table, not plop down at their's. There is a difference. We have had this happen many times and it is perfectly acceptable. If you don't mind having perfect strangers share a meal with you then that's okay and my hat goes off to you. But, for me, I prefer to have a private family meal.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jkj1224 View Post
    I guess I've travelled to enough countries where it's common to eat with people you don't know that it wouldn't really occur to me that it should bother me for someone to ask to join me. I definately think it's polite to ask before you sit down at someone's table, but you never know where and when you're going to make new friends, and where better than WDW
    This is off topic and has nothing to do with the original post, but it reminded me of something. When I was at Biergarten in 2004 with all my aunts and female cousins, there were two more slots at the end of the long table. They seated a couple with us who were VERY UPSET that they couldn't have a table to themselves, so much so that they complained the whole meal. I was grateful when the music started up. But I had to laugh -- at Biergarten that's the way the seating is! Ah well.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I do think it all depends on the situation. I don't mind sharing but prefer not to. If a place is packed then I think it's to be expected. If you want to have personal or family space then I'm not sure that Disney is the right place to go for it. CS locations can be bad for personal space at the best of times but in somewhere as popular as Disney it's even more so. If you feel that you have a right to your own table then I would hope that you choose to book a TS where possible. It is a shame because I know what people mean about family time around the table.

As for asking if I can share myself, I would only do it if getting a table was proving to be very difficult. Then I would try to ask in such a way that the person could refuse without embarasment. To plop down without asking is just not on IMO.

It's really interesting to hear peoples different views on this matter. Thanks for sharing.
    Past trips
    1980 - DisneyWorld somewhere ;)
    2000 - Disney's All Stars
    2005 - Honeymoon @ POP Century
    2008 - POFQ

Man I need to get there more often

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I guess I'm a bit surprised that this is as big and issue as it apparently is. I guess the interpretation of rudeness has wide variations. Even if I didn't what someone to join us, I wouldn't think it rude for someone to ask. What are they really hurting. And I certainly wouldn't get hostile with them about it.

This is just my opinion so don't take my head off, but I'd find it much more rude to be holding onto unused seats in a crowded dining room that to ask if someone minded if I sit down. I guess for me, it's not just about ME and what I WANT. We're not in this world alone, and a little kindness towards others is not really a bad thing.

I mean, it's not like they're going to sit in my lap. And it doesn't mean we have to strike up a conversation (although I probably would). They're just sitting beside me. They can have their own conversation and we can continue with ours.

I wonder, do the people who don't want to share a table also resist sharing a seat on a bus? Or sitting beside someone in a show?

Maybe it's a cultural difference, and varies depending on where you're from. If that's the case, I pretty ok with having a friendly midwestern point of view.

But that's all just my opinion. We all have different points of view, and it seems that mine is definitely in the minority. But nonetheless, is my view and I'm sticking to it.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

I probably wouldn't have minded if it's a CS meal and the person asked politely, and we were pretty much done, but other than that, no way!
    VMK: RoyalRoseBlue

10 trips before 2000
    2000 - All Star Sports (Senior Trip)
    2001 - CP CM @ CBR

Post Thanks / Like

{Flame Proof Suit In Place}

1) At Table Service eateries, you should have your own table.
    2) At fast food, you should share tables if they are crowded.
    3) You have paid for food and a seat, not a table.
    4) It is only kind and courteous to share at Fast Food eateries.

NOTE: I do this a lot, especially in airports. People put their stuff around a table and take only one or two seats at a table. This is very impolite to others who want a seat. So, I take one of the vacant seats and move their luggage.

{Flame Proof Suit Back in Closet}
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

On our honeymoon my husband wanted to eat at Pizzafari. We found a table and my husband began to enjoy his meal. About 5 minutes before he was finished another couple with two children asked if it was okay if they went ahead and sat beside us since they noticed we were almost finished. The place was getting crowded and we were almost done so it was no big deal. We even started a conversation with them about how it was their first time and we gave them some tips on things to see as well as how to get started pin trading.

That situation could have been different had there been numerous tables available and if we had just sat down. Me, being the pushover that I am, would of course say that it was no problem. But, i'm a coward and a people pleaser. I try and make the best out of an uncomfortable situation.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I can be a little mixed on this. If it a big table (like a picnic table) designed a lot of people to sit at IF the seating is really rough I "might" ask if we could share the end if it wasn't being used and there's quite a bit of space between us. I'd probably prefer if they were nearly done anywy. I have invited people to share in the reverse situation. Of course if it's a smaller table where I'd be placed quite cozily with the other family then I wouldn't think of asking.

But on the same note I do find it somewhat annoying when there are several groups of people looking for a place to sit with their trays in hand and people who have been finished since we first got in line are STILL camping out at the table just "chatting" (granted if there's NOT a lunch rush etc...then fine sit there aslong as they like)...then they finally leave and leave all their junk behind. SIGH.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind if someone asks to sit with us if there are no tables available and there is room at our table. I'd hate for people to drag extra chairs over and squeeze people in. I would also be annoyed if someone just plopped down at our table without asking - I think that's rude.

If push came to shove and there was just nothing available, I would ask someone if we could sit at their table.

I can count the number of times that has happened to us.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: