Quantcast Table Crashers!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Table Crashers!!

Hi All,

My wife and I just got back from Disney.

First let me say that my wife and I are very private people. We don't bother other people and we don't want others to bother us. Plain and simple.

Yes, I am unsociable.

While we were at Disney we had a couple occasions to eat at some counter service restaurants.

We were happily enjoying each others company when another person(s) approached us and asked if anyone else was sitting at our table (usually 2 or 3 empty chairs).

We said no because we really don't want to lie or be rude, but personally I would never ask to sit at someone else's table.

This is one reason we don't do cruises. Usually you have to dine with strangers at your table. I just do not like that AT ALL.

I feel they need to wait for a table the same as I did and not infringe. Even though Disney is crowded, when I eat, I like my space.

Does anyone else feel the same...or differ??
    Randy

It all started with a mouse. WD

*85 thru 98 - Offsite
    *Oct 99 - CBR
    *Aug 02 - CBR
    *May 03 - Offsite
    *May 05 - POFQ
    *Sept 05 - POFQ
    *June 07 - Offsite
    *July 07 - Offsite
    *Oct 07 - POFQ
    *Dec 07 - Offsite
    *May 08 - Offsite
    *Sept 08 - CBR
    *May 09 - POFQ
    *Lost count!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on crowds. I'm willing to share if there is a definite lack of seating and there's space at my table. I would rather not share, sure, but given the space issues at some counter service places, I have no problem doing it when necessary. We might even offer before being asked if someone looks needy of seating and willing to share with us.

When we were honeymooning (17 years ago now) we really cherished our privacy and we were having a nice table service meal at Rose & Crown when a couple came over from the pub area and just plunked down at our table! It blew us away. But we finished our meal and didn't say anything. Funny but as I get older, things like this bother me less and less.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I'm with ya!

My DH and I are a twosome and, gratefully, have never had to deal with that situation at WDW. We are both very social people, but prefer our private time at meals and such. And, I hate to say, but I would say "no" to people wishing to join us at our table. They are welcome to take a chair(s), but not to intrude on our personal space. Most of the time, we eat and vacate the space, we do not tend to linger - after all, we're at WDW - we have better places to be than a table.
    And in the same token, I would never ask either.

Six more months for us!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Generally, I don't mind sharing space with other guests if it's really crowded, but I do agree that if it was me I'd just wait rather than intrude on someone else's meal.

If I'm somewhere like Teppan Edo where it's expected, that's one thing. Not sure I'd be so bold at somewhere like Cosmic Ray's.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on my mood, too. If I am at an extremely crowded place, then I will definitely be willing to share, and I will ask to share. But if there is space, then there's no reason to.

But I laughed at your comment about the cruise. When hubby and I went on ours, that was one thing that we were not looking forward to--eating with strangers. But we had no choice, as we didn't make arrangements for a private table ahead of time. And to tell you the truth, it wasn't bad at all.

We consider ourselves pretty anti-social, too, but we are starting to find that when we force ourselves to be social, it usually turns out to be something that we enjoyed.

ºOºprprincessºOº

WDW-75, 79, 89, 91, 98, 04: Offsite; 01: ASMs & CSR; 02: Dolphin; 03: GF & POR; 06: POFQ & BC; 08: WL; 09: CBR
    DL--97-98: AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie4me View Post
    This is one reason we don't do cruises. Usually you have to dine with strangers at your table. I just do not like that AT ALL.
    You should try norwegian CL you don't have to sit with anyone at dinner and for that matter there is no specific dinner time. Just FYI.
    2002 - Off Property Son's 1st Trip
    2003-Off Property
    2005- Off Property Son's 1st Trip
    March 2006- Off Property
    June 2006 - POP Star Wars Weekend
    Dec 2007 - ASMu Family Suite

Dec 2009 ASMo Daughter's 1st Trip
    April 2011 Beach Club Daughter's 2nd Birthday Trip

mttafire Guest

I completey agree with ya. I couldnt imagine asking someone i didnt know to eat besides them. As others have stated..The ARE certain places where this is normal..Thats fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the same as you, I would not like to share my table. I have never experienced this at Disney, and we have been at some very busy times. We do eat at off times though. On the other hand I am sure my brother and dad would not mind at all, they are very social people. To each his own.
    "Tomorrow's child... seeing that knowledge keeps growing"
    Over 20 WDW trips and counting.
    Resorts stayed at: The Disney Inn, Swan, POR, CS, YC, CB, Contemp., Poly, GF, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

In Dec. 06 I asked when it was very crowded but it was 2 ppl who were finished (napkins in their plates) and just reading a map and the table seated 10 so we had 4 seats btwn us. Not ideal but I've also offered the end of our table if we had more space than needed. I don't see a CS as a time for intimacy- the other tables are so close anyway. We probably had more space than you would with the surrounding tables but you have to respect the boundaries as well- not intrude on conversations etc. IMO -If it's 2 ppl at a table that sits 4 then yes you deserve the space moreover 2 who sit at a table that seats 10 -then you have to expect a little intrusion or wait for a smaller table- which may not be an option.
    Often their food is getting cold and I would feel better sharing than to have someone sit on the ground.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

I can see where you are coming from, but because I had a very good experience on a cruise ship sharing a table I feel a little different. I was very worried about sharing a table and tried to request a private one with no luck. I usually keep to myself too! The couple we ended up with at our table we found to have alot in common with. We ended up after that first meal spending the rest of our vacation together and now we are great friends! You never know who you will meet! Yes, you might not get as lucky as we did! But, you never know! Hopefully they are in Disney for the same reason you are and you might just hit it off!

Post Thanks / Like

As my DW tells me GET OUT OF MY BUBBLE! During meal time is our time that is one reason we have avoided Biergarten we are both fairly shy and keep to ourselves.

Post Thanks / Like

i would never in a million years do that...
    and if someone cared to do that to me..id look at them weridand be like uhh what are you doing?? you are so not part of my family...
    wait your turn...tables become free like every minute...that just seems extremely weird to me...no thank you..
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd gladly share my table if it was real crowded and someone asked. Although I LOVE being with just my wife, and having quiet meals together, I also love other people, and can adapt and enjoy their company too. MY family is not the only one that matters. I think if other people could take on this type of thinking they'd be pleasantly surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally feel that at counter service places if the table is big enough for 6-8 and only 2 are sitting it is not inappropriate to ask to sit at the end of the table. Now a table for 4 I do feel would be a little too intimate and would move along until we found something a little larger. I am in no way judging you or your wife but I had to wonder why someone sitting next to you at a CS restaurant bothered you? Did they want to start a conversation and interrupt your meal, did they evesdrop on your private conversation? Past bad experience? WDW seems such a crowded place to visit for someone that is uncomfortable with tight crowds. Do you or your wife feel the same way standing in crowded lines and que areas for the rides? Again, I am not judging you or your wife and don't mean to come across as such but I am truly intrigued with this topic.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

I never table-crash but always welcome people who do to sit down. I have met some interesting people this way. And in other places besides DW. We were visiting Charleston SC when there was a large table in a small restaurant open but there was no party of 6. So one guy in line got us and another party of two together and we made our own party of 6. Instant seating! We had a great time getting to know the others.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes, I never really thought about it as an infringement of my personal space.

This last trip we were at blizzard beach and two young girls asked if they could share our table since it was just DH and I. I said sure and we had a nice conversation about them being locals and coming to the water park whenever. They asked if we had rode Everest yet, etc. It was a nice conversation and I never really thought about it again until now. I wouldn't want someone to just sit down but I would think if they asked and we weren't expecting anyone else, I don't see the harm in it. Most of the time, that's how I meet the most interesting people. Plus, I figure I'm at Disney and most people are happy and friendly anyways.
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Generally, I don't mind sharing space with other guests if it's really crowded, but I do agree that if it was me I'd just wait rather than intrude on someone else's meal.

If I'm somewhere like Teppan Edo where it's expected, that's one thing. Not sure I'd be so bold at somewhere like Cosmic Ray's.
    I agree with you, Ian. There's a time and place for it. Since there's usually 3 of us, this doesn't normally happen. We have offered our table as we were leaving before, but would never think of asking if we could sit at a table with others!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    When we were honeymooning (17 years ago now) we really cherished our privacy and we were having a nice table service meal at Rose & Crown when a couple came over from the pub area and just plunked down at our table! It blew us away.
    That blows me away! Wow.

We've never had this happen to us, and I certainly wouldn't think of asking someone to sit at their table either. I'm really not sure what I'd say to someone who asked to sit at our table.

Post Thanks / Like

This just happened to us at Pizzafari. We were more than happy to let the Mom and her 2 kids sit while they waited for Dad to come with the food (the line was really long). I could tell Mom was frazzled with her 2 kids suffering from DADHD (Disney Attention Deficit Disorder). I was able to get the latest dirt on the character breakfast at Chef Mickey's and the MNSSHP from the kids while Mom looked on with relief. I could tell she was feeling as awkward as we were.

Hey - it's not the best situation to have someone you don't know sit with you, but it can be part of the MAGIC.

1/09 CSR
    1/08 CBR, 2/08 POP, 4/08 POFQ, 9/08 POR
    9/07 POR
    1998 AllStar Music
    1985 Ramada Inn Court of Flags
    1981 Buena Vista Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazeedizneefinatic View Post
    I personally feel that at counter service places if the table is big enough for 6-8 and only 2 are sitting it is not inappropriate to ask to sit at the end of the table.
    I share your opinion here. We have been asked in the past to share our table and have been pleased to make room for others because, I really can't imagine someone asking to sit with strangers if there were other options available. I've never had a problem with it and I think it is just what you do, same as having to ride share when appropriate. However, I have never asked to sit at another persons table because I fear most people would be antagonistic to the request and I am pretty sure the latent hostility would upset my appetite.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997