Quantcast WDW Rated & Reviewed - Test Track

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How would you rate Test Track?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** : Awesome on every level.

32 24.24%
  • **** : One of the better rides around.

56 42.42%
  • *** : Average stuff, but still a pretty fun time.

30 22.73%
  • ** : Not bad, but not especially good either.

12 9.09%
  • * : Don't waste your vacation time with this one.

2 1.52%
  • 0 : Terrible. Hardly worth it at a carnival.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down WDW Rated & Reviewed - Test Track

Test Track

Intro: Test Track replaced World of Motion in Epcot in 1999, after years of delayed openings. The former attraction, World of Motion, was a lighthearted trip through AA scenes from the history of transportation. Test Track was the highest profile update in a series of them performed in Future World in the 1990's, dubbed "Project Gemini" by some. Despite constant breakdowns lines remain consistently long at the ride, almost a decade after its initial opening.

Queue: We start off with a walk through an automotive repair shop, which, I guess just for fun, has chosen to position TVs all over, showing clips of car accidents. They also play some really annoying music, which becomes more annoying when you listen to it for the entire hour or so that you are likely to spend in line.

Preshow: We are joined by Bill McGill (what a great name) to put together our test schedule, "just like at GM." He rattles off a bunch of tests we are going to go through like hairpin turns and Belgium Blocks (sadly this does not involve waffles). Bill rambles about why car testing and safety is important. He warns us to wear seatbelts. Now its time to ride…but wait, it’s a FAKEOUT. Instead it's time for queue number two, which is a shorter winding line in front of the launch area. This thing gets absolutely inundated with people when the ride breaks down and the system is just not set up to handle long lines AND the breakdowns.

Ride: Up a hill we go and into some rough road tests that felt pretty similar to driving through Pennsylvania. Then we learn what its like to not have anti-lock breaks. Thrilling? Bill keeps rambling in our ears through all this. He lets us know its time for some “extreme test conditions” and we enter some rooms with heat lamps and air conditioning. I’d like to point out that it’s actually warmer in the “arctic” room than it is in Ice Station Cool. Then we head quickly up some hills at full speed and they tease putting us into a wall, but it’s a swerve and for NO REASON some headlights appear and a horn blows. Well, that ruined any sense of realism this ride had. We go for a fast spin around the outside of the building. If it is meant as a homage to the outside portion of World of Motion, it’s a nice homage, but otherwise it’s just sort of there. It’s like riding on the highway in a convertible. Seriously, this is a thrill ride, doing the same thing a bunch of people probably experienced on the ride to the park. Bill thanks us and its over.

Post Show: Walk out through a GM showroom featuring “cars of the future” and stuff. Really they are just cars of next year and it’s all a big ad for GM, which, really, this whole pavilion is.

Thoughts: Wow, what a letdown this is. I was going to go easy on it, but after repeat riding, this does not stand up well. Ride it if it is operational and there is not a long wait. Use Fastpass if at all possible.

Overall Rating: **
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I sorta like test track but the review is right, I wouldn't wait more than about 15 minutes to ride it. I think the World of Motion was better and I know why test track was built - GM sponsored it. The folks at Disney likely have little to no costs associated with it as GM pays them all.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I think Test Track is a lot of fun. Perhaps I'm a little biased, *** it was our first ride on our second trip (the return trip) to WDW, and it got the vacation off to a great start. I even love the queue and the pre-show, though admittedly, I didn't get too excited about the shop merchandise.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think Test Track is a good Attraction. I would definately get a fastpass for this ride. Standing in the regular line can be exhausting because it is a slow moving line...

3 more weeks for my WDW :horray:
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]July 1996 off site
    July 2001 off site
    May 2004 AKL
    May 2005 All Star Resort Movies
    May 2006 PoP Century
    May 2007 POFQ
    June 2008 Coronado Springs Resort
    April 2010 Disney Boardwalk Inn

November 2012 Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I am so with you here. I don't get the obsession with Test Track. It is interesting, sure, but I don't consider it a "thrill" ride like many others do. There is only one moment of thrill and as you mention it's sort of haphazardly thrown in. And I cannot believe how long the lines always are even in off seasons. Once a trip is enough for me and it wouldn't phase me very much if we had to completely skip it.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

The ride is boring. Unless if you're ten and under you will find this ride annoying and a waste of time. If you MUST ride it, get a FP for it. Other then that, you'll be bored to tears.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

WDW attractions are about more than being a thrill. In my opinion, WDW is not a thrill ride park. If you want thrill rides, you'll likely have to go to another park. WDW is about families, WDW is about imagination. I think test track fits in great. I gave it 4 starts. I didn't give it five because it really doesn't represent "Future" World, it more represents "Today" World. But it's still a fun experience.

If I want thrills, I'll head to Sandusky, OH, if I want Disney Magic, if I want Disney FAMILY Magic, I'll head to WDW.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

i said that tt was awesome. i loved how fast it went and all the different driving tests.
    Taylor

been over 10 times and aint stoppin.

Post Thanks / Like

The reviewer is one of many people on these boards who do not like Test Track. Seemingly every thread about the attraction is another user calling it overrated.

But I think those who criticize Test Track have incorrect expectations. Test Track is not a thrill ride--poor advertising by Disney--but is a fun and unique experience.

The whole pavilion is elaborate, the technology is worthwhile and the loop around the outside is not simply a highway drive. I'd like someone to name an Interstate with hairpin curves and steep banks.

Test Track may not deserve any hype, nor is it one of the top attractions at Epcot, but it definitely does not deserve the criticism it so often receives.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_nut View Post
    I'd like someone to name an Interstate with hairpin curves and steep banks.
    OOOOOO, I'd like that!!!!!!!
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...I would just like to clarify my opinion. I do not care that Test Track is not really a "thrill" ride. I like thrills, but I am not one of those people who think that WDW needs to be thrill capital USA. In fact, what I love most about the thrill rides here aren't the actual thrill aspect but the theming. I DO care, however, that it is marketed as such. Add to that the fact that you can see the car racing outside the pavilion and this leads people to believe the attraction is something it is NOT. This causes lines to be long almost year round and fast passes to "sell out" early in the day. Personally, I had no false expectations of the ride when I first rode it because I knew nothing about it. And I do find some enjoyment in the overall ride and presentation, but for me it isn't worth the 1 hr+ wait like it has been on my previous 3 trips, all at different times of the year, and I simply don't think it is one of the best that WDW has to offer... this is my opinion, and everyone else is entitled to theirs as well.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

I love Test Track. Even the horrible really annoying music they play in the queue. I could ride it again and again, and some days, we do! And actually, in all my WDW visits, we've only had two breakdowns and we simply went back later and everything was fine. Plus, there are fascinating displays in the queue area. Call me crazy, but I think it's all a lot of fun, a lot of laughs, and a definite "can't miss" all around awesome attraction.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

My vote was just an ok ride- not that great but if no line we will ride
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Put me down as one of the nuts who think this is an awesome ride! My DS and I rank it near the top of our "must dos." Long live Test Track!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I gave it a rating of ***. In my opinion, the problem with it is that the first half is nowhere near as good as the second half. The first half includes the hill climb, rough road, brake test without ABS, brake test with ABS, and the environmental tests. The second half consists of the maneuvers around the turns, the evasive maneuver, the crash test, and the speed test. The only part I like about the first half is the brake test without ABS whereas I like all of the parts in the second half. We always use either Fastpass or single-rider. The standby time is usually much too long. We like to ride it on every WDW visit, but it's not on our must-do list so we don't mind skipping it.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

I like Test Track - it's a fun ride. I think it's fun to be a part of all of the testing processes which are relatively what goes on in parts of an automobile plant (I work in the automotive parts business and have visited them).

And the ride outside is quite fun - I want to laugh whenever I see someone write that 'it's like riding on the highway in a convertible', because it's certainly nothing of the sort.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I view Test Track as an average ride. The great premis is handicapped by the average (for WDW) execution. I am judging this ride solely on how it compares to other WDW rides.

I do not consider this a thrill ride. But, it is enjoyable, just not worth waiting a long time for.

I will go on the ride if the cues are reasonable when I walk by. I will go out of my way for to see the "Jammitors" perform, but not to get on Test Track.

I also think that this ride will not stand the test of time. Sooner or later, it will have to updated or eliminated. I don't see it becoming a classic.
    Never underestimate the power of High School Musical!

Pop Century - Dec/2004
    Pop Century - Nov/2005
    Coronado Springs - Dec/2005
    Pop Century - Nov/2007
    Dolphin - Nov-Dec/2007
    Pop Century - Dec 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrmGrninGost View Post
    Put me down as one of the nuts who think this is an awesome ride! My DS and I rank it near the top of our "must dos." Long live Test Track!
    i agree with everything that you say and stand for. rock on and LONG LIVE TEST TRACK

Post Thanks / Like

I have always loved Test Track. That last turn is great
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: