Quantcast Fanny packs look silly? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The fannypack:

Useful..........yes
    Convenient....yes

Enough money in the world to get me to wear one........NO WAY!

But, like others have said, it's WDW, and fanny packs are the norm. I like to wear nice (yet casual) outfits to the parks where everything matches, and I wear a lot of cute trendy babydoll tops and hoodies, so a fanny pack (if I would consider one) would look horrible with my clothes.

I use a kid's plush Stitch backpack at the parks (got him in 2005). He's lightweight, holds my essentials, and looks perfect at WDW. I even bought him several outfits at Build-a-Bear to wear (German lederhosen, safari w/boots, Christmas elf, and a Hawaiian shirt and sandals). The characters love it, and have a blast messing around with it in pictures. It never gets in the way on rides, and I wouldn't go to WDW without him. I also have an awesome plush Mike Wazowski backpack I got from someone in England. I have a Santa hat for him this year.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PetefromRI View Post
    I'm a 48 year old constuction worker who used to think fanny packs were the queerest things in the world.My wife had one and I put my stuff in hers(that was O.K.).One day we were on Main Street U.S.A. and browsing one of the shops when it struck me that maybe I ought to carry my own stuff and I bought a big old Mickey Fanny Pack.I'd never be caught dead outside of Disney with it on but when I'm there,anything goes.Maybe it's because I revert back to a 10 year old when I'm there,but in style or not I'll always have my Fanny Pack on when I'm at Disney World.
    LOL! I thought this was hysterical!
    Actually all four of us each where a pack! (DH's is camo!)DH, both DS's (10 & 11) & myself, we wear them on the front. We each carry our own small snacks for the day, each has a camera & a rain poncho & DS's have autograph books & sharpie! DH & myself also hang a water bottle from the packs. I carry all my notes for the day ie: ADR info, etc. I have even hung those tiny little WDW bags from it! I realize in some pix I look like a pack mule, but who cares! It keeps my hands free & we don't have to take them off & fear forgetting them! We only do a back pack for evening if we need to carry jackets, etc. We find it easier when we are each responsible for our own stuff & nobody has to lug around an excessive amount. We think the back packs get hot & heavy!My DM got a really cute WDW tote when I bought my new WDW pack & she carried it one day to the parks & decided it was way too bulky! She went back to her pack the next day! Just call us the pack people!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

I always wear one to keep my hands free. I do take it off for pictures now or turn it around to the back after the hints from this board. I found a smaller one at Wal-Mart with three pockets so I can keep my camera and phone in one, money and tickets in one and other necessities in the other and it is still smaller than the other one I carried. I received a tip on a Mickey Shoulder pack from someone on another thread and bought one just like it from EBay. I love it and may try it the next trip to see if I like it better than the waist pack. I don't like things on my shoulders all day though. Who knows? I may end up carrying both. DH won't carry anything so I'm the pack mule.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so I already admitted that I will wear mine, but my favorite is my dad. My DH and I took DD to DW with my mom and dad. Dad always wore his red fanny pack. By the end of the trip, it was the magic bag! It always seemed that whatever we needed was in his bag. If DD needed a straw, he had a straw. Need a spoon? There it was. Sugar, salt, he had it. I can't remember some of the more obscure things that we needed, but it never failed that he had whatever was needed! To this day, he has his magic bag, although I think that he's progressed to his Mickey bag now...
    Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next trip...
    May 2016 - Pop Century
    Last trip...
    June 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village
    Many before that I can't remember dates...

Post Thanks / Like

I personally do not enjoy a fanny pack on me or anyone else. I can't even get past the name..fanny..fanny..just doesn't seem right! HA!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pookiebear38 View Post
    Okay, so I already admitted that I will wear mine, but my favorite is my dad. My DH and I took DD to DW with my mom and dad. Dad always wore his red fanny pack. By the end of the trip, it was the magic bag! It always seemed that whatever we needed was in his bag. If DD needed a straw, he had a straw. Need a spoon? There it was. Sugar, salt, he had it. I can't remember some of the more obscure things that we needed, but it never failed that he had whatever was needed! To this day, he has his magic bag, although I think that he's progressed to his Mickey bag now...
    Great story! Made me laugh.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a messenger bag style fan mostly cause that way we have one bag for three people and enough space for water bottles.

I have to admit though I'd buy the 2.50 water before I'd use a fanny pack..but I'm just not keen on anything that sits on my middle like that no matter where I am.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I take my fannypack when traveling to WDW. However, when I go to the parks, I use a lanyard that carries my park pass, room keycard with charging privileges, DDE card, and DVC card. I also carry about $20 in cash. Because I don't have the fannypack, I can bypass security at the parks.
    Nov. '98, DxL
    Nov. '00 DxL
    Nov. '01, ASMo
    Nov. '02, WL
    Dec. '03 PO-R
    Sept. '04, SSR; Nov. '04, OKW
    Aug. '05, SSR; Nov. '05, SSR
    Aug. 06, SSR; Nov. '06, OKW
    June '07, VWL; Nov. '07, SSR
    Aug. '08, AKV; Oct. '08, SSR
    June '09, OKW & AKV; Oct. '09 SSR
    Aug '10, SSR & AKV

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Epcot this past Sunday on a spur of the moment trip and I did not have my fanny pack. I just could not imagine how I was going to function without it. My DH had on cargo shorts so that helped a little. But keeping my tickets, fast passes and money in my pockets was not as handy as having my little fanny pack. I am always the pack mule of our vacations. I did see lots of other people with "my" fanny pack!
    The only upside I can think of was getting to go thru the "no bags" line.
    My fanny pack rules!

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that fannie packs were perfectly acceptable for me to wear, until I saw pictures of me with it on !!!:
    Disneyland 1969-1988
    ASM 2000
    ASM 2002
    ASM 2003
    ASM 2004
    Pop 2004 (50's)
    Pop Oct.2006(70's)
    Pop May 2007(50's)
    Pop Dec.2007(60's)
    Pop Oct.2008
    PORS May 2010
    Wilderness Lodge 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LizLovesDiz View Post
    I always thought that fannie packs were perfectly acceptable for me to wear, until I saw pictures of me with it on !!!:
    As much as I love the convenience of my fanny pack (shouldn't we call it a tummy/hip pack instead -- does anyone actually wear it on their fanny?), when I saw our pictures and that fanny pack, oh my! Note to self -- do not wear fanny pack in pictures. Second note to self -- If you have buttons (First Visit, Birthday) do not put one on each chest pocket of your shirt, this does not make for very flattering pictures!

Deb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
    Second note to self -- If you have buttons (First Visit, Birthday) do not put one on each chest pocket of your shirt, this does not make for very flattering pictures!

Deb

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

This is apparently more a question of vanity than of functionality.

Personally, I don't use a fanny pack at WDW (although I have in the past). Not because I wouldn't, but because I don't carry enough with me to warrent using one. I'm no longer traveling with small children, and if I can put it in my pocket, I figure I probably don't need it. Except for my refillable mug, and I only carry that because I leave the resort with it full of coffee in the morning, and then use it for water during the day. And there is no way under the sun that I'd want to carry a backpack around WDW all day.

However, I have used a fanny pack for a variety of outdoor hiking and camping activities.

Personally, it could be bright orange with blinking read and green lights saying "look at me, I'm wearing a FANNY pack", and I'd wear it if it served my purpose and met my needs(although the ones I have at home are pretty much solid black).
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

We leave Thursday (YEAH!!!!) and I have packed--a backpack, a neck wallet, AND a fanny pack. I believe I will use either the neck wallet or the fanny pack and also the backpack for water, sweaters etc. We will have a stroller so I envision putting the backpack on the back of the stroller most of the time. I am not above using whatever makes it easiest. My theory is that 1) the people I am going with know me (and all my quirks) and 2) the people I don't know I won't see again.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never worn anywhere but Disney. I think it's great to have something to hold most everything I need to carry and it's nice to have the hands free of holding a bag or something. I don't carry much just cash, credit cards, park tickets, park maps, and FP tickets. I now use the neck wallet thing too. It keeps everything nice and safe, and you can put it under your shirt on rides so it's not flopping around.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

My fannie pack days are behind me (no pun intended). In fact, I prefer to travel as lightly as possible in the parks and usually only carry a clip-on pocket lanyard these days. It's holds my pass, room key, driver's license, credit card and some cash. If I do want to bring along my digital camera I have a small over-the-shoulder camera case (or I hit up a friend to tote it in their backpack--they are so kind to me!)

If you prefer to wear a fannie pack at the parks, don't worry about feeling self-conscious as there are many who do.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

What about the new hiking hip packs? Wal-Mart sells them in their camping section, and they don't look "outdated" at all. In fact, I've seen quite a few college students carry them as backpacks, and just let their notebooks stick out the top. They're rectangular, so they hold more than the traditional fanny pack, and they have two bottle holders on either side. If you wear it correctly, the bottles would be on each of your hips. I thought about using one for our trip in July, until I decided to make my own POTC bag (which lots of people then wanted!).
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

I third the Coach swing pack! Love mine.
    But, my mom always has and always will wear her fannypack (or "pouch" as she calls it). It is a staple for her at WDW. We bug her about it, but she says it is the best way to carry everything she needs. WDW is the only place she wears it. She feels that no one cares what you look like at Disney, and I would agree with her. People are more worried about keeping there families together, and heading to an attraction - - - they don't have time to worry about what other people are wearing. Just do what is comfortable for you.
    "Tomorrow's child... seeing that knowledge keeps growing"
    Over 20 WDW trips and counting.
    Resorts stayed at: The Disney Inn, Swan, POR, CS, YC, CB, Contemp., Poly, GF, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing handier to have at WDW than a fanny pack!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I carry both a fanny pack and a backpack. The backpack has nonimportant items(additional clothes, snacks, tylenol, ect...) and i usually leave it in the stroller when we go on rides and into shows. The fanny pack has all my valuable stuff. I NEVER use one except at disney.... and it works great. Can't afford to lose the valuable stuff!!!
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: