Quantcast Refillable Mug observations...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Refillable Mug observations...

Just a few observations from my most recent trip (9/21 - 9/25) concerning the refillable mugs...

... I was kind of disappointed that the only style of mug available at ASMu while I was there was the narrow bottomed variety. Although it really worked out ok because this style fits into the cup holder of my car and the other style does not.

... I was kind of disappointed that the mug was of a more generic design, nothing that identifies it as being from any particular resort. I can understand the business reason for having a generic design across many resorts, but I kind of liked the resort specific designs. Although, maybe this is particular to the All*Stars or something, back in March I got a mug at POR, and it was wide bottomed, Port Orleans specific mug.

... I couldn't help but notice the WIDE variety of mug styles and designs being used at the ASMu drink station, obviously from other trips, and other resorts. It's too bad they can't practically enforce the "this trip only" rule. I wonder if drinks and/or mugs would be less expensive if they didn't have to cover the cost of those who don't abide by the rule.
    Marker from MO

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We got a mug at BB on a visit last year and the CM put a bar code on the mug that activated the self serve drink fountain. It seems like a similar technology could be used at the hotels. If you consider how much they charge for one of those mugs and the mere cents it costs to make them AND fill them with soda several times, they are probably still making money on them long after their purchase.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" WED

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed last year at the WL people were using mugs that were obviously from a previous trip as they were no longer selling that style. I guess some people just have to try and get away with something and yes, the rest of us are probably paying for it.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gwfx1031 View Post
    We got a mug at BB on a visit last year and the CM put a bar code on the mug that activated the self serve drink fountain. It seems like a similar technology could be used at the hotels. If you consider how much they charge for one of those mugs and the mere cents it costs to make them AND fill them with soda several times, they are probably still making money on them long after their purchase.
    Bar coding resort stays would be a nightmare. The barcode used at the waterparks is based on the day of the week, must easier to manage something like that.

If they coded resort mugs with your resort stay it would probably need to be sold at the check-in desk. Otherwise there's a ton of openings for abuse.

mttafire Guest

The refillable mug thing is always a hot topic. I dont think Disney in any way enforces the "per this trip only rule". Honestly, 90% of the time we ONLY use our mugs for that trip only. YES, In the past we have used past trip mugs...Was it right? NO..But i guess we are all human.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink old mugs

When the mugs first came out they did say you could use them at that resort forever, so I have no gripe when I see old mugs. The only mugs we have from then are ASM, and if we stayed there again I wouldn't have a problem using them.

When people are using other resorts or even non Disney mugs I figure that it's karma's job to take of them .

Post Thanks / Like

I kept an eye on the refillable mugs last week, too (at POFQ). I noticed a LOT of the purple PO mugs (that i had purchased in January, and left home, becaust i'm such an honest person), which I know for a fact were not "use forever."

I also noticed a LOT of people using "Dixie Landings" mugs, which I thought was a pretty blatant misuse of the mugs, but I forgot that they used to sell "use forever" mugs, so they may have been from that era.

At one table in the food court I spied a woman with a YOAMD mugs, one with a purple mug, an two with different Dixie Landings mugs! LOL Disney should hire me as the mug police!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

More than likely the Dixie Landings mugs were forever mugs. I still have one. Although all the paint came off in dishwasher and the bottom is missing. I have never stayed at PO again so I have never thought to bring it back. I had actually forgoten it was a forever mug until I read this thread.
    Here you leave Today and enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

Next Trip-February 5th-16th! Happy V-day to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvpooh View Post
    More than likely the Dixie Landings mugs were forever mugs. I still have one. Although all the paint came off in dishwasher and the bottom is missing. I have never stayed at PO again so I have never thought to bring it back. I had actually forgoten it was a forever mug until I read this thread.
    We have a few "forever" mugs from DL. They are our favorite mugs (except for my WL mug.. which I LOVE) because of the "Song of the South" group on it.

It is so difficult to regulate this. I guess they are hoping for the honesty of people.
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Martinsville, IN 15 hrs. 22 min, 970 mi. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you know who has a "forever" mug and who has a plain ole' mug? Outside of the new mugs I wouldn't know. I guess I really don't pay much attention to whose using what mug - I'm there to have fun - not police everyone else.
    December 2012 - Pop - All Girl I Wanna Go What's One More Trip
    October 2009 - POR - Grand Gathering
    Dec. 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    August 2006 - Pop Century
    October 2005 - Pop Century

Nov. - Dec. 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2002 - Ft. Wilderness Campground - Family Reunion Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vicster View Post
    I noticed last year at the WL people were using mugs that were obviously from a previous trip as they were no longer selling that style. I guess some people just have to try and get away with something and yes, the rest of us are probably paying for it.
    It's probably not a big deal. From my days in food service, I vaguely recall seeing that the most expensive things for a soda are (in order): the container, the ice, the CO2, the syrup, the employee. And even then, there is a reason that restaurants and theaters give soda refills away for free.

We might have a couple of the forever mugs from our first trip, but to be honest, I'd rather save the space in the suitcases for new souvenirs than bringing an old one along.

Post Thanks / Like

We buy new mugs every trip, and I don't have a problem doing this, however, I have used the resort mug from where I am staying at a different resort. Such as, I stayed at AK and went to Poly and ate a CS lunch and we used our mugs there.
    jen
    ASM Sept. 2009 for 20th Anniversary
    PORS Oct 2007
    PORS Oct 2005 with Aunt and Uncle
    AKL Oct 2004
    ASSp Oct 2003
    ASM Oct 2002
    Off Prop. Oct 2000

Post Thanks / Like

I have mugs from WL ('00) and CSR ('02) that do not have the 'use only this visit' message on them. Does this make them "forever mugs" and is it truly a Disney policy?

Given the cost of a Disney stay, and the relatively small cost of CO2, water and syrup, I would think Disney would want to encourage folks to bring back their mugs as a small token bene. But what do I know?
    Previous trips:

Nov 2000, Oct 2002 - WL
    Dec 2002 - CSR (conf.)
    Feb 2004 - AKL
    Feb 2005, Jan 2007 - POR
    Oct 2007 - CSR (conf.)
    Oct 2008 - POP (pre-conf. visit)
    Oct 2009 - BV Suites (conf.)
    Oct 2010 - POR
    Nov 2010 - BV Suites (conf.)
    June 2012 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

We buy new mugs - for me it's just one (or 4) less things to haul down to Florida.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFanatic View Post
    When the mugs first came out they did say you could use them at that resort forever, so I have no gripe when I see old mugs. The only mugs we have from then are ASM, and if we stayed there again I wouldn't have a problem using them.

When people are using other resorts or even non Disney mugs I figure that it's karma's job to take of them .

I agree 100% on both points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Momof2boys View Post
    We buy new mugs - for me it's just one (or 4) less things to haul down to Florida.
    We just returned from an AKL trip. I, too, was amazed by all the different mugs that people were using. My own thoughts were that I couldn't imagine remembering to bring an old mug and having it taking up valuable room in my suitcase!

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

I just called and checked if we could use our "Dixie Landings" "lifetime mug" and was given a cheery " Of course."

So those of you who see me getting coffee in my DL mug at POR in 13 days, hold your judgement please.

Thanks!
    FatherForce
    91 - Off site
    94 - Dixie Landings
    95 - Wilderness Lodge
    97 - Grand Floridian
    01 - Boardwalk/Animal Kingdom Lodge
    03 - AKL/Polynesian
    04 - AKL/All Star Movies
    05 - Grand Californian
    06 - WL/3 Day Disney Cruise
    07- Dixie Landings (PORS)
    09 - Ploy
    Jan 7-12 2013 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FatherForce View Post
    I just called and checked if we could use our "Dixie Landings" "lifetime mug" and was given a cheery " Of course."

So those of you who see me getting coffee in my DL mug at POR in 13 days, hold your judgement please.

Thanks!
    Hey FatherForce,

We will be there in 16 days. We are from Martinsville. We are also staying at POR. Maybe we will see ya there.
    jen
    ASM Sept. 2009 for 20th Anniversary
    PORS Oct 2007
    PORS Oct 2005 with Aunt and Uncle
    AKL Oct 2004
    ASSp Oct 2003
    ASM Oct 2002
    Off Prop. Oct 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Cool!
    Maybe we will. We check in on the 16th and will be leaving the 20th.
    Refills for All!
    FatherForce
    91 - Off site
    94 - Dixie Landings
    95 - Wilderness Lodge
    97 - Grand Floridian
    01 - Boardwalk/Animal Kingdom Lodge
    03 - AKL/Polynesian
    04 - AKL/All Star Movies
    05 - Grand Californian
    06 - WL/3 Day Disney Cruise
    07- Dixie Landings (PORS)
    09 - Ploy
    Jan 7-12 2013 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

We've bought new mugs each time we were there...had a bit of an internal discussion within the family actually...but honestly ruled, and we bought the new ones!

I wonder if having the mugs included in the Deluxe Dining Plan in 2008 will make any difference?
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: