Quantcast Cancer Patients

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Cancer Patients

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cancer Patients

....has anyone delt with this in the past with Disney. My grandmother has just started her chemo and radiation and we have a January motivation trip planned. Dinning Reservations are already made, should I call and ask for any special dietary needs and ask about pricing (seeing how the chemo disrupts the appetite sometimes)...would love any info on this matter
    DREAMS ARE MAKE-BELIVE UNTIL THEY ALL COME TRUE....

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is more treasure n books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main ... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life- Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit confused as to what you mean about pricing. Is she on the DDP and are you wanting to get her off of it? Or are you asking if Disney will charge her more for special arrangements (they won't, btw, they are absolutely divine about dietary special needs)?
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Watch the smells

When my mother was taking chemo, the smells got to her before the food did. Be careful not to sabotage the meal by letting the smells get to her.
    I will say a prayer for her and your family. I know how difficult it can be.

Natomas, California = 2908 miles from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

My heart goes out to your Grandmother. I applaud you for making this special time for her. I hope the meal planning works out well. I'm sure they can help you to accomodate your grandmother needs.

Mandmmom

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to be on the meal plan(DDP)?
    One thing I've experienced w/ cancer patients is that their appetite can wane so quickly and literally eat what strikes them as pallitable at the moment.
    You may want to ask about flexibility with dining or look for places that have a wide variety of foods that she enjoys (nothing very pungent or exotic).
    As mentioned I'm sure the chef's would go out of their way to make her experience a pleasant one. Have you started with her dr. or dietitian to see what foods may be best? Does she need high protein or other limitations.
    My mother had hepatitis and with the liver in distress she had to avoid protein and consume a lot of simple glucose to aid in digestion, now w/o a gallbladder she avoids fats. Point is there can be so much variance among patients that it's best to start with her medical team first for suggestions.
    Best of luck with your travels. It's amazing how the drugs today have helped so many with so much in the fight against cancer. for her battle and for a pleasant trip!
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

1) For pricing, Disney charges everyone the same price.
    2) If your ordered food is $11.25, that is what you pay.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not exactly clear what you are asking, but I'll take a stab anyway.

If treatment is causing disruptions to your grandmother's digestion, there are certain things you can ask for (smoothies for example, if she's allowed and can tolerate them). Certain drugs —such as Doxil— come with their own set of dietary restrictions (such as no salty, crunchy, tomato, etc. for 3-4 days following infusion). It's important to have your ADRs noted with the fact that someone in your party has dietary restrictions. They may call you ahead of time, but even if they don't, someone will certainly ask when you all check in and/or are seated.

If she's become sensitive to food odors, a trick that is particularly useful, is to rub a little Vick's on the upper lip under the nose (as long as she can tolerate that smell), but not IN the nostrils.

As Beth says, please tell her medical team that you all will be traveling and to ask for some dietary guidelines. There may even be a nutritionist on staff who can help.

And last but not least, if your plans include a family-style meal or a buffet, she will be charged full adult price.

Enjoy your trip!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

My observation is that the Disney chefs are VERY accommodating with special dietary requests.

If you are not on the DDP, then I would assume that you would be charged in line with what your grandmother orders (if she orders soup and a roll, she'll pay for soup and a roll, not an entree.)

If you are on the DDP, I don't think that the program rules allow for any special accommodations - your grandmother is obviously not a child and therefore will be expected to pay the adult price for the DDP.

If you are on the DDP, it may be a good idea to re-consider if it is an appropriate option for your entire party at this time. (I think that the guidelines are that every person in a room is required to be on the same plan - if your party has multiple rooms, perhaps the room that your grandmother is in can choose not to be on the DDP and pay OOP while the rest of rooms utilize the DDP)

Don't forget, chemo affects people in many different ways - my DSIL recently went through cancer treatments and her appitite wasn't impacted very much at all (she couldn't eat anything the second day after her treatments - other than that, her eating was normal) so you may not have anything to worry about food-wise!

What a wonderful way to help your grandmother through a rough time!
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all your assistance (sorry I was typing this posting while multi-tasking)

We will not be on the DDP first off. And after a little research and your supporting comments we will discuss food option for her on this trip with her doctors. I'll also call ahead to see what the dinning staff can offer. Thanks for the prayers and pixie dust, we're hoping she'll be up for the trip by January

We'll have to try the Vicks advice too....
    DREAMS ARE MAKE-BELIVE UNTIL THEY ALL COME TRUE....

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is more treasure n books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main ... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life- Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I almost forgot -- there is a book called Passporter for Special Needs and it is all about Disney vacations. Remember that Disney deals with Special Needs kids through make-a-wish every day and so the staff will already know how to deal with chemo
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

As someone mentioned before....smells DO bother chemo patients.

Their digestion IS interrupted. Chemo will cause constipation. It's a side effect. So, be prepared to bring something.

Chemo patients don't eat a lot in one sitting....they do better if they eat small meals throughout the day. Bland foods will be best for her.

Chemo will also make her extremely fatigued. She'll have good days and bad days. I feel as though the trip will go good if the days were short.....

I know from experience how hard this is. I took care of my mother while she had cancer. I've learned a lot about the disease, it's treatments, etc.

Also,....just to make sure all is covered.....know where the hospitals are, and all first aid stations. Have a sheet of paper that lists her medicines, doctor numbers, allergies, etc. Also, she may get sick unexpectantly....bring a bag or something for her to get sick in.

It's so sweet of her to go on this trip, and so sweet of you to take her.

God Bless......
    WDW is my happy place

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: