Quantcast Anyone else notice this?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else notice this?

Don't know if this has been discussed in depth before, but I just returned from WDW and noticed that there's nothing of any sort mentioning "The Emperor's New Groove".

No shirts, no dolls, no pins, NADA.

Does anyone know why this is so? I'm curious since it's one of my favorite Disney movies, and there's the Disney Channel series on right now that seems to be popular also.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have honestly never seen the movie, but i do not believe it was a big money maker for Disney, so I'm not exactly surprised there is no merchandising... you could try ebay? or disneyshopping perhaps?
    First Trip: 1983- (Before 6 months old!)
    1983-Present (Too many trips to count!)

Important Trips:
    Dec 2006- Carribean Beach (Honeymoon!)
    May 2008 (First trip for our Twins!)

Next Trip:
    Sept. 2009 - FREE DINING!!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't notice it until you mentioned it! Wow. I LOVE that movie.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

oh yeah we noticed it while we were there. we kept looking for kronk and thought for sure the old evil woman would be one of the villians. but we couldn't find anything either. i was quite surprised because they have the chronicles of narnia everywhere which in my opnion was awful but nothing about new groove. they did make two movies so you would think there would be something.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Natomas, California = 2908 miles from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Thinking the same thing.....

I haven't even been to WDW yet.... and I was wondering why those characters aren't ever mentioned and I loved that movie.... so did our kids.
    And I agree the Chronicles of Narnia was not so great and it's there .... Go figure (as Eisma would say)

Post Thanks / Like

I looked for Kronk last year after hearing he made some appearances, but was disappointed when I couldn't find him anywhere.

I agree...Emperor's New Groove is an awesome movie, and one of my favorites. It definitely deserves some characters and merchandise in the parks. Highly, highly underrated movie. It's a shame.

I also didn't care for Narnia (the movie), but you can't get away from it at WDW. I don't get it.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post

I also didn't care for Narnia (the movie), but you can't get away from it at WDW. I don't get it.
    It's not one of my favorite Disney movies ,but it is the 28th highest grossing movie of all-time , with close to $300 million. So merchandising wins out.

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen Pacha characters in parades in the past, but I haven't been since Jan 06, so I can't vouch for anything currently.

I have seen pins in the past before as well. Did you check the large pin stores, esp the one at DTD?

I guess they've phased them out, because I do remember merch quite a bit.

And we LOVE the movie! It really is one of the funniest Disney's made!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

This movie falls under the forgotten category. I personally thought it was really funny. It really never took off like Disney expected and I woud guess that lack of merchandise is due to lack of sales.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you mention it....wow...never saw a thing. Along with others, I too loved that movie!

I do recall seeing pictures on the net of Kronk and Pacha somewhere in the World, can't recall where and how long ago though, but nothing of the two when I went last year.

You would think there would be something since "The Emperor's New School" is part of the Saturday Morning cartoon lineup on ABC. Promotion for an ongoing show would make sense, but alas...nothing.
    Aug 2006-POFQ & MWC
    Feb 2007-DL
    Jan 2008-POP/DCL
    Sept 2009-Cont
    May 2010-POP
    May 2011-Poly/YC
    Sept 2011-Cont
    April 2012-POP
    Jan 2013- AKL
    Sept 2013- BLT/Swan
    Upcoming Trips
    April 2015- Cont/BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I think it *almost* falls into the category of Treasure Planet, and other movies I have forgotten with good reason. Not that it is as bad as Treasure Planet, long by a looooong shot, more in the category of Hercules with movies that are just okay but not classics that most people will still be aware of in 100 years.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing The Emperor's New Groove on a weekday morning, with only about four other people in the theater. I was falling off my chair laughing and everyone else was chuckling occasionally. I think that this movie is not funny to everyone. It's really a strange comedic mix. On the one hand, you have biting sarcasm, on the other you have plenty of physical comedy, plus you have the absurdity of a character who provides his own theme music. The mix is not for everyone, but for those of us who appreciate all three of those forms of comedy, it was a real winner. As to why it never took off as a part of Disney World, I don't claim to know. Maybe Michael Eisner didn't find it funny.

"I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    I looked for Kronk last year after hearing he made some appearances, but was disappointed when I couldn't find him anywhere.

I agree...Emperor's New Groove is an awesome movie, and one of my favorites. It definitely deserves some characters and merchandise in the parks. Highly, highly underrated movie. It's a shame.

The reason you can't escape Narnia is because they are already gearing up for next year's release of "Prince Caspian". With 7 books in the series, I suspect everyone will have to deal with Narnia for some time.

I do think that ENG and Treasure Planet are much-maligned films. While they may not be classics in the same line as Snow White or Sleeping Beauty, that doesn't mean that they should just be swept under the rug either.

Post Thanks / Like

There is only a small window where Disney really carries merchandise dealing with many of their movies. Unless the movie proves itself to be a "classic" they move onto the next big thing in an attept to cash in on merchandising.

ENG is one of those movies. Now that the movie has long been forgotten (which I don't think is deserved) the profitability of creating any merchandise is not worth it. How many plush do you really think they would sell?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    There is only a small window where Disney really carries merchandise dealing with many of their movies. Unless the movie proves itself to be a "classic" they move onto the next big thing in an attept to cash in on merchandising.

ENG is one of those movies. Now that the movie has long been forgotten (which I don't think is deserved) the profitability of creating any merchandise is not worth it. How many plush do you really think they would sell?
    Well, like was mentioned before, they do have a Saturday morning cartoon with the same characters that seems to be pretty popular.

That's why I was wondering. They have a ton of Hannah Montana stuff, why not ENG?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Well, like was mentioned before, they do have a Saturday morning cartoon with the same characters that seems to be pretty popular.

That's why I was wondering. They have a ton of Hannah Montana stuff, why not ENG?
    The people who watch Hannah Montana have mucho disposable income (teenage girls) whilst the fans of Emporer's New School don't (mostly kiddos). Remember the Disney Business Mantra:

"Appeal to the girls, sell to the girls, bow down before the girls......"
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

The movie is funny, but very short lived. David Spade was in that movie...I think that makes my point.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

this is only peripherally related, but my kids tell me that the actor who does the queue video for Soarin is also the voice of Kronk.

I'm on my way next Monday , so I'll keep my eyes open for the merchandise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by russk42 View Post
    this is only peripherally related, but my kids tell me that the actor who does the queue video for Soarin is also the voice of Kronk.
    Yes, it is. It's Patrick Warburton, and he also did the voice of Buzz Lightyear for the animated series and the voice of the gym teacher in Kim Possible. He's also in the sitcom Rules on Engagement on CBS.

They had posters and drawings for Emperor's New Groove up in the animation tour on one of our trips, but it was called something else at the time. I'm not surprised there isn't more merchandise; although my family enjoys it and we rewatch the movie regularly, it doesn't seem to have the mass appeal that other movies have.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Yes, it is. It's Patrick Warburton, and he also did the voice of Buzz Lightyear for the animated series and the voice of the gym teacher in Kim Possible. He's also in the sitcom Rules on Engagement on CBS.
    And most famously, Patrick Warburton starred as David Putty in "Senfield."

Anyway, "The Emperor's New Groove" was a solid movie, but it came out with such low expectations. Nobody expected the film to be a big moneymaker, and it wasn't. Though hardcore fans may buy merchandise, most guests are looking for the characters from the true classics.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: