Quantcast Dissapointed w/ HM holiday version

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: HM holiday version awesome or lame

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Holiday version was awesome

26 83.87%
  • Holiday version was lame

5 16.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dissapointed w/ HM holiday version

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anybody else was dissapointed with the holiday version of the Haunted Mansion? It is almost unrecognizable as the HM. The attraction is greatly trimmed down as far as ride content. And, not hearing "Is this room actually stretching?" spiel was just a big let down. Does anyone else feel this way?
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

FINALLY!! I havent read from anyone else who didn't like it LOL Personally, I think it's too "perky". Too many bright colors and perky music. I like the original version better as well.
    I know you I walked with you once apon a dream..

Post Thanks / Like

I made my first ever visit to DL this December for the Rose Bowl (Go Blue!!) and I knew that DL's Mansion is always done with the holiday theme but I was disappointed. I don't think I will ever be in Southern California for any other reason than to cheer on my wolverines in a Rose Bowl so i doubt i will ever get to experience the original mansion and that makes me sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teamblackwell View Post
    It is almost unrecognizable as the HM.
    I never thought of it as needing to be recognizable as the Haunted Mansion. It isn't an updated, politically correct, or improved edition of the ride. It is it's own attraction and our family looks forward to the change every year. DD & I are also fans of the Nightmare Before Christmas movie so that adds to our enjoyment. If you are not familiar with or don't enjoy NBC, that might make a difference in your outlook.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkwest View Post
    I never thought of it as needing to be recognizable as the Haunted Mansion. It isn't an updated, politically correct, or improved edition of the ride. It is it's own attraction and our family looks forward to the change every year. DD & I are also fans of the Nightmare Before Christmas movie so that adds to our enjoyment. If you are not familiar with or don't enjoy NBC, that might make a difference in your outlook.
    I agree! I love HMH as much as the original. I have never understood why people expect it to be Haunted Mansion ... it's 2 different rides. But, I suppose there will always be those people that can't let go of tradition, even if it's only for 3.5 months.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the original version MUCH better, BUT, my 3 year old highly prefers the HM Holiday! I can't take him on the regular version...too much dark stuff and honestly, he gets bored. He likes the bright colors and Christmas theme of the holiday version very much.

In general, I find the HM Holiday to mainly have a cult following, but the general population tends to not really like it.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I think it comes down to whether you are a fan of the movie. Although I'm not a huge fan, I appreciate the creativity and work (from the props to the music) that goes into incorporating it into the existing attraction. Pretty impressive!

I feel fortunate to have been able to experience it both ways several times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    I agree! I love HMH as much as the original. I have never understood why people expect it to be Haunted Mansion ... it's 2 different rides. But, I suppose there will always be those people that can't let go of tradition, eve if it's only for 3.5 months.
    That's the problem right there. It shouldn't be a completely different attraction, the imagineers should just do a tweek of the original ride to have a NBC slant. Now its a 3.5 month waste.
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teamblackwell View Post
    That's the problem right there. It shouldn't be a completely different attraction, the imagineers should just do a tweek of the original ride to have a NBC slant. Now its a 3.5 month waste.
    Everyone has their opinions, but I think if it was the original Haunted Mansion with just a couple of characters thrown in it wouldn't make so much sense. The point of the movie is that Jack is trying SO hard to be Christmas, it's over the top. i think like tinkwest said, you might have to see the movie to get it, or be a fan of the movie to appreciate the HMH.

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

Our family really looks forward to the HM overlay each year...so much so that we plan a trip in the fall just to be able to see it.
    Of course, we also love the "original" look...which we get to take in during our srping trips...

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a matter of liking one better than the other. They are 2 different things.

It shouldn't be a completely different attraction,
    That doesn't make sense to me. Why bother if it's not going to be completely different??
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

I am not even a fan of the Nightmare Before Christmas movie, although my daughter is an addict, and I loved the overlay. I have seen the Disneyland Haunted Mansion both ways, and I actually prefer it with the overlay. I am trying right now to figure out a way to get my daughter out there next year so she can see it all for herself. I am not sure I could get her back off the ride once she saw it.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    I appreciate the creativity and work (from the props to the music) that goes into incorporating it into the existing attraction. Pretty impressive!

Ditto that! You have to give credit where it's due. I am not a fan at ALL of that movie. I think it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen, BUT what they were able to do with the HM overlay is VERY impressive. You can't not admire the creativity. I enjoy the HM Holiday version just for that aspect.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's awesome.

While not a big fan of the film, it certainly
    helped the whole thing make sense. Without
    seeing the film the whole thing would be very
    confusing to most.

The very first year they put this up it played a
    significant role in my jumping ship to work
    for Disney part time. I went to see it and
    after wards it was like.."Creativity is back!"

I do wish they continued to enhance it. Not
    much had been added to this version for a
    couple of years.
    Tonight, the part of Al will be played by a tall, dark and sinister ugly man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Although I'm not a huge fan, I appreciate the creativity and work (from the props to the music) that goes into incorporating it into the existing attraction. Pretty impressive!
    I'm the same, not a big fan of the film, but always impressed with all the work that it takes to change it over. I love the original better, but have no problem with the holiday version for a couple of months.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, it's a shame that version lasts so long because folks who come from other parts of the country/world for the first time cannot see the original during three months of the year. It may be great for annual passport holders and/or locals who can experience both and often, but it's kind of pointless in the big scheme of things.

I don't know how I would feel personally about going on the Nightmare ride. Honestly, if I was to go to DL at this time of year (and Christmas) I would avoid going on it. I also avoided seeing the movie. I think I tried to be open minded and watched a bit on TV once, but was found it as unattractive as I thought I would.

I'm glad someone posted about this because I have felt like a weirdo for not liking the idea of NBC. Appartently, I am not the only one. I have always hated the idea of this movie.

This has nothing to do with my feelings about the HM. I don't like celebrating Halloween, apart from the innocent pumpkin carving and other harvest type activities. It just seems to be about killing and death. Most of what DL does at Halloween is cool with me, though, and I think it is such a great option compared to Knott's at this time of year. There are actually harvest activites I prefer to go to in my area, though.

I really don't know about the Jack Skellington character, but he turns me off. I love Christmas and am very religious in my ideas and celebration of it. I absolutely resent a character like a skelliton being presented as some sort of Christmas/Halloween crossover character. I refused to see the movie because of that and I sure don't like that DL has this attraction going on throughout the Christmas season.

I think the morphing of Halloween characters into Christmas characters morbid and gross. As a Christian the idea of the movie offends me. That said, the HM and its focus on death is morbid and gross too. It's just the the original does not use the name of Christ in it. I realize that it is called HM Holiday, but it is known to be based on the Nightmare Before Christ-mas.

That's just my personal feelings - that I have been longing to express! I know it seems a bit too serious and others will try to convince me that the NBC is harmless and has a good message, etc. But that's just the way I feel. Sorry if it seems closed minded. I kind of look at it as having convictions.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Babe View Post
    In my opinion, it's a shame that version lasts so long because folks who come from other parts of the country/world for the first time cannot see the original during three months of the year. It may be great for annual passport holders and/or locals who can experience both and often, but it's kind of pointless in the big scheme of things.

I don't know how I would feel personally about going on the Nightmare ride. Honestly, if I was to go to DL at this time of year (and Christmas) I would avoid going on it. I also avoided seeing the movie. I think I tried to be open minded and watched a bit on TV once, but was found it as unattractive as I thought I would.

I'm glad someone posted about this because I have felt like a weirdo for not liking the idea of NBC. Appartently, I am not the only one. I have always hated the idea of this movie.

This has nothing to do with my feelings about the HM. I don't like celebrating Halloween, apart from the innocent pumpkin carving and other harvest type activities. It just seems to be about killing and death. Most of what DL does at Halloween is cool with me, though, and I think it is such a great option compared to Knott's at this time of year. There are actually harvest activites I prefer to go to in my area, though.

I really don't know about the Jack Skellington character, but he turns me off. I love Christmas and am very religious in my ideas and celebration of it. I absolutely resent a character like a skelliton being presented as some sort of Christmas/Halloween crossover character. I refused to see the movie because of that and I sure don't like that DL has this attraction going on throughout the Christmas season.

I think the morphing of Halloween characters into Christmas characters morbid and gross. As a Christian the idea of the movie offends me. That said, the HM and its focus on death is morbid and gross too. It's just the the original does not use the name of Christ in it. I realize that it is called HM Holiday, but it is known to be based on the Nightmare Before Christ-mas.

That's just my personal feelings - that I have been longing to express! I know it seems a bit too serious and others will try to convince me that the NBC is harmless and has a good message, etc. But that's just the way I feel. Sorry if it seems closed minded. I kind of look at it as having convictions.
    Well, I suppose having convictions can keep you from experiencing anything at all in the world.

Halloween is about killing and death? I always thought it's been reduced to begging for candy.

I am not sure that I understand anyone's ability to judge something, especially a ride without having experienced it ... sure, go on it, hate it and I totally respect that, but to hate something merely for the sake of hate? I don't get it.

But as an American, i's your right to pass judgment, and as a poster here, you can talk about it all day.

I can't wait for December so I can go on Haunted Mansion Holiday!

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

Well said, Michael!! I love Halloween and I have never killed anyone.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

I happen to love the months of Oct through right after New Years. The overlay in Mansion and the park going with Halloween stuff these last few years. Then the Small world Christmas overlay and the park being transformed into Christmas holidays. It always seems such a magical time with families with their kids. You just see such a smile on their faces.

The mansion & small world overlays take a few weeks to put up & a few weeks to take down and has a lot of labor involved. Doesn't make sense to just put them up for a month.

I'm not a great fan of the NBC either, but I love those singing plants and that Christmas tree when you first come out of the brides room into the big area. Its got you singing when you come out of there.

Bear Country would always have its Christmas overlay when we had that at DLR.

What rides people choose are up to their own preferences and that's cool. I choice not to go on Star Wars because it makes me The Mansion seems to be the most crowded during the overlay period of time. They even have to have a fast pass machine for it (that's even the down times during those months).

Post Thanks / Like

Judging something before experiencing it is called discernment. I don't need to experience something to know it is wrong for me or to have convictions regarding it. While it is good to educate oneself about something, a person of discernment can judge what is right for them without experiencing it. That is not disrespectful or wrong.

Yes, Halloween is sort of begging for candy. It's cute when little kids do that, but not when older kids and adults do. I like that aspect of Halloween and I like carving pumpkins. That's about it. It used to be more simple, nicer, and just for little kids when I was growing up. I don't like that it has become a season instead of one night. It's lost it's meaning. To chase away the evil sprits before celebrating All Saints Day. Halloween means All Hallows Eve.

Halloween is not about killing and gore? Take a look at the movies that play on TV for almost the entire month of October now. What's going on at Universal Studios, what's going on at Knott's?

It''s the mixture of Halloween and Christmas that I object to about the Nightmare Before Christmas. You think that I have judged it before experiencing it. I think that I have simply used wise discernment about the movie and I don't want the experience. If I experienced everything that felt uncomforable to me or I had some dislike for just to give it a chance before "judging", I would spend more time upset, hurt and confused. I'm old enough to realize that now. I've already been there and done that and know I can't just do things for the sake of seeing what I think all the time. Maybe that does work for some, but not for others. I realize it's a popular theory, to experience first and judge later.

Back to the original question. I will agree with Teamblackwell and others based on some excellent photos I saw on another Disney fan-based website. HM Holiday seems kind of lame and cutesy.

I think it's cool that there was some creativity done to change it and I appreciate the excellent job on the timing that it took to make it turn out right. But the real HM is an excellent fete of imagineering and should not be deprived from visitors for such a long period of time. As mentioned, first time visitors from around the world and the country cannot see the real HM for over one fourth of the year. The Nightmare Before Christmas should stay just that - before Christmas. HM Holiday should, IMHO, close after Oct. 31st each year to remove the overlay. I don't know how long that takes, but I think it can be done before the peak season hits again.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: