Quantcast BronxTigger's Day 1 of 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool BronxTigger's Day 1 of 5

Day 1, Saturday, August 18, 2007

You can read my pre-trip report here.

Resort: Caribbean Beach Resort, Aruba 5313
    Cast: Me & My friend Amanda, a CM
    For Day 1 Photos click here.

My trip started very early in the morning. I woke up around 2am to finish packing and getting ready to go. My DH went with me to the airport; we decided to take a cab instead of the train at that time of day. My flight was scheduled for 6:55am; we got there with plenty of time, which was good because the airport was growing increasingly crowded by the minute. The lines for check in and then for security were all very long. I had just enough time to check in, use the bathroom, go through security, get breakfast (also very long line) and get to the (re-assigned) gate for my original boarding time. We left a bit late (it’s JFK…what did you expect??) and arrived about a half hour late. We were supposed to get in around 9:30; it was around 10. Interestingly, the flight attendant acted like it was my row’s fault that we were late. Somebody sitting in the exit row was ineligible to sit there, and she needed willing people to move there. She asked the three of us (me and a couple who visit WDW each year) if we wanted to move to the exit row, and none of us did. Her reply was “well, the plane can’t go until SOMEBODY sits there.” We still didn’t want to sit there. I don’t want that responsibility, and neither did the others in my row. That’s why we didn’t choose those seats in the first place! Obviously, somebody did move and we went on our way.

Anyways….the flight was fine. I like the televisions for each seat. Also, I had a window seat and the weather was beautiful t he whole way. I was watching the sun reflect of the Atlantic Ocean. It was great. I had planned to sleep the whole way, which didn’t happen. I did sleep a bit on and off, but was still tired upon arrival.

After we landed, I had a little trouble finding the Magical Express counter. I was on the correct side and had found the lady with the Mickey glove, but I didn’t walk far enough down the hall to the counter. I ended up outside with the buses and then I found the counter. Check in was very quick; less than five minutes including the line. Then I went over to the CBR line and we waited maybe 10-15 minutes before we loaded the bus. Shortly after that we were on our way. The driver (didn’t catch his name) was so slow! We were getting passed by everybody! He made some announcements that only a few of us could understand. Some lady a few rows behind me was yelling out everything he said because every time he said something about 20 people would go “huh? What did he say?” It was a bit funny. We watched the video and then we were there. CBR was the first resort we pulled up to, and I knew it was CBR because I had seen photos of the Custom House online and also because in 2005 we stopped there on ME before heading to the Beach Club. However, a lot of people on the bus weren’t sure, and they were further confused by his announcement of the “Caribbean Beach Club.” I had strategically found a seat at the front of the bus and was therefore one of the first people off and into the registration line. My wait was very short but the line was quite long when I was done registering. My room was not ready, but I was told it was in the Aruba section. Yay! I rummaged around in my carry-on to get my park things and left the rest with bag check. I walked over to the Barbados bus stop and caught the bus to Epcot. I had called Amanda from the airport and she had headed over to Epcot to meet me; it became a sort of a joke how long it took me to get there. Once I got to the bus stop, all the park buses came before the Epcot one. Oh well. I finally got to Epcot and met up with Amanda outside Mouse Gears. We walked through Canada and UK and out to Beaches and Cream. Great meal, and no wait this time. Yay!

After lunch, we looked around the Beach Club for a short while before heading back to the World Showcase. We got to Japan before I hit the wall. I needed a nap so bad. I guess that’s what happens when you only get 2 hours of sleep, and I had a Pirate Party to attend that night so I was eager to get back to CBR to sleep. It was about 2:15 and I called to see if my room was ready. It wasn’t, but I was convinced that it would be by the time we got back there. We stopped at Mouse Gears because I HAD to have a Pirate Mickey ears hat for the party, then found the exit and caught the bus. On the long walk to the bus stop (CBR is far away at all the parks) I called again and the room (5313) was indeed ready. Yay!

We get off at Aruba and find the room. We get there and I was so happy to find out that the room was on the first floor (yay!), on a corner (2 windows!), AND a huge king bed (free upgrade!). I was not happy to find someone else’s ME luggage, but a quick called to the front desk solved that problem and that luggage was taken away and my luggage from ME and bag check was brought over. I took a nap (Amanda took one too….she had a 7pm to 2am shift that night!) and felt much better afterwards.

I caught the bus to the MK for the Pirate & Princess Party. This party was so worth the money. The parade and fireworks were awesome, and there was no wait for any ride. The longest I waited for any ride was 5 minutes at Space Mountain. I ate dinner at Pecos Bills (first time there, I had a cheeseburger…not bad) then I went on some rides. I went on Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain (2x) and Splash Mountain (2x). I did not even have to get off the second time I went on Splash. After that, I went around to some of the treasure spots before the fireworks started. I watched them from under the wire for Tinkerbell on the “bridge” between Cosmic Rays and the hub. I was able to sit on the ground and have a good view until the very end, when someone stood right in front of me and I had to get up. After the fireworks (AMAZING!!) I headed over to Tomorrowland to catch AstroOrbitor (2 or 3 times without getting off) and Space Mountain. After Space Mountain, I met up with kakn7294 and her family to watch the parade. After the parade we split up again and I went off to Toontown to ride the Barnstormer before it closed for refurb. After that I browsed a bit in the shops and made my way out of the park just before midnight.

Click here for Day 2.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pirate hat! The party was amazing, wasn't it? Absolutely worth the admission price. No lines, everything walk on, and the most breathtaking fireworks. What a busy first day! Glad you squeezed in that nap.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like to sit in the emergency exit rows either. I'm 5'1" and can't even open a pickle jar on most occasions, so what can i do if (God forbid) we crash down somewhere. I'd be the first one captured by The Others, I'll tell you that much (sorry for the LOST reference. On to your trip).

Loveing the pictures! I can't wait to explore EPCOT in october and now i'm really excited after looking at them! Off to read more!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

What a great first day! Glad your nap helped get you ready for the P&P party...you would've been miserable without it, huh?
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Im glad you enjoyed the P & P Party, we also ha a great time on the 15th!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

A fantastic first day! Glad you got that nap in before the party ... I bet it helped make it a memorable party!

Thank you for sharing the report and the pictures!

-Kristy

Many trips all off-site
    Oct 07 Pop and Poly
    June 08 POP/Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Great Report Off to read Day 2
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

The P & P Party is a wonderful way to kick off your vacation! I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reporting.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the trip report and pictures, I'm so glad you had a good first day!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad we got to meet and watch the parade, even if we did have to play phone tag to catch up with one another! Sounds like you had a good first day - thanks for sharing it with us (literally!).
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Glad the nap helped revive you enough to enjoy the party! Your trip is off to a wonderful start!
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

what a busy full day!!...glad you were able to grab a nap and that your room was ready!! cant wait to read about the rest of your trip!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a long day. DH and I prefer the exit row, he being a Firefighter and me in the medical field and going to nursing school.....but if you look at it this way.....what are the chances you would have to perform those duties? Slim to none. (I hope)!

We loved the P&PP too, we did the 11th, and what a great start to a vacation! Can't wait to read more.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly got off to a great start - two parks on an arrival day! Quite impressive!

Glad you enjoyed the Pirates party! It really is a great party!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Great first day. You really did need recharge your "batteries" mid-day with all you crammed in.

Thanks for the report.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! What a busy 1st day! Sounds like a great beginning to your trip. I am looking forward to hearing more.
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day! Hope you didn't have to schlep over to the JetBlue "under construction" terminal at JFK. Glad you got in a nap so you were more of a princess and less of a wicked stepsister by the time the party rolled around!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    Sounds like a great day! Hope you didn't have to schlep over to the JetBlue "under construction" terminal at JFK. Glad you got in a nap so you were more of a princess and less of a wicked stepsister by the time the party rolled around!
    No, I didn't have to schlep over to the evil new terminal (that doesn't look new??) on the way there. That fun activity was saved for the trip back!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

The "under construction" terminal at JFK is not new by any stretch of the imagination. They're doing asbestos abatement work on what was originally built by TWA. I'm not sure if JetBlue is going to be the only occupant of the building, which was designed by Eero Saarinen and opened originally in the early 60s, back when JFK was known as Idlewild Airport. A very contemporary building that's meant to evoke flight, is a historic landmark. Hopefully JetBlue will do it justice.

In the meantime, it's just a pain getting over there... no fair having to take any other transportation between NYC and WDW that isn't the monorail at MCO!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: