Quantcast high school musical plagued with scandal!!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default high school musical plagued with scandal!!!

Is anyone willing to discuss the new scandal involving Vanessa Hudgens? Any word about what Disney plans to do next? What a messy situation. If anyone feels this topic is inappropriate for intercot, please feel free to take it down. I just wanted to find out how High School Musical fans are reacting and whether you'd let your children watch the third one if Disney decided not to fire her.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

MODERATOR ALERT!!

Nude photos privately taken of Vanessa Hudgens, one of the stars of High Scool Musical, have surfaced in the media. They are being distributed without her consent or knowledge.

If this topic can be discussed in a calm and controlled manor, then this thread will remain open. If it gets out of hand we will have no choice than to close it.

We ask that you only discuss the aspect of allowing your children to continue to watch these movies or not. Please do not venture into anything graphic. This is a family friendly board and we do have kids reading here. Please act accordingly. Thank you.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding that she did not pose and they were private. Someone did not respect her privacy and wanted to ruin her career. Disney has decided to back her. As a parent I did not sit around the dinner table and discuss this with my kids if they hear about it at school I will tell them the truth. This is why you need to protect yourself at all cost and espcecially realize that even your so called "friends" can be horrible people sometimes. We all make mistakes I am sure she learned a lesson. I say yes my kids will be allowed to watch High School Musical three lets just hope they do not sing along at the top of their lungs again.
    '89 Grand Floridian
    '89 Carribean Beach
    '93 Offsite :(
    '94 Day Trip
    '99 Wilderness Cabins
    2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    September 2008 Coronado Springs!!

We are looking to try them all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IC10 View Post
    From my understanding that she did not pose and they were private. Someone did not respect her privacy and wanted to ruin her career. Disney has decided to back her. As a parent I did not sit around the dinner table and discuss this with my kids if they hear about it at school I will tell them the truth. This is why you need to protect yourself at all cost and espcecially realize that even your so called "friends" can be horrible people sometimes. We all make mistakes I am sure she learned a lesson. I say yes my kids will be allowed to watch High School Musical three lets just hope they do not sing along at the top of their lungs again.
    This is exactly the kind of post that we moderators are hoping for. Please use IC10 as an example of how this topic can be discussed and yet it was very tastefully worded. You can certainly have an opposing view, but please follow their lead in style. Thank you IC10!!
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!

in a lavender cottage - I mixed this color to create this wild color
    Post Thanks / Like

We must keep in mind that these are actors playing roles of squeaky clean kids. This isnt the actual lives these kids live. Understanding too- that these are role models ( that we/you the public created them to be. They are regular people , with regular lives and issues that arise. Dont condem them for being human.
    Life happens. I will have no problem letting my child watch this next film- Its all a movie- and they are watching an actor portray a role.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Disney stars have to be held to a higher standard than others. They are representing a well-respected brand. Even though we grown-ups know that the star and the character are separate, the kids sometimes forget (by kids, I mean younger like 8 or so). I am having a hard enough time trying to keep my kids from hearing about Lindsey, they love the movies like Parent Trap, Freaky Friday and Herbie. If this is the extent of it, my kids can keep watching the movie. Thank Goodness Pixar is around, too!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel badly for her. She is 18 years old, so she is an "adult" in the legal sense of the word and has the right to make her own decisions and I don't think she should be judged or lose jobs with Disney because of this photo. It was a private photo, and it's ashame it got leaked to the media. I think it was a little stupid of her to take that photo in the first place for the very reason that it could be seen by the wrong eyes. I think it is interesting that her team came out and admitted the photos were real. Most blogs that I read were assuming from the start that it was photoshopped.

In regards to letting children watch the movies/her....that is always a personal call, I guess. As far as I know the picture was just of her, that she took for her boyfriend and co-star. I didn't actually see it because I had no desire to see it, lol. But It doesn't sound like anything graphic or disrespectful and it's ashame that the media has to blow this up and make it into a scandal. I can understand it being reported on gossip rags, but it was also on the local news here. Completely unnecessary.
    She is an actress. Many times people have trouble separating private life from the acting portion and I get that sometimes. But this doesn't really bother me. There are far worse things she could've done....
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what most of you said on here already, especially the part about her being an adul now. As an adult, she too bears the responsibility of her actions. She took pictures that had a possibility of becoming public. Apparantly there are also more and videos to come. It really is a terrible situation, for all involved I'm sure. I don't necessarily feel that bad for Vanessa, as she was the one that did this, but I feel very badly for Disney. On the one hand, they have an extremely wholesome, NON controversial image that they have worked hard for, but on the other hand, the High school Musical enterprise is at its peak. I do hope in this case that they choose image over money. Being a 21 year old, it is very frustrating trying to find an ator/actress that doesn't have nude photos leaked, and I'd rather Disney does not associate with those people. I think that what is best for everyone is that Disney deals with this situation professionally and then announce that there will not be a third film. Vanessa is extremely talented and I'm sure she can find work elsewhere, and the High school musical has had a good run, but I think if they make the third film, it will get a lot of negative press. I think its sad that had this happened say 20 years ago, they would be no question about what direction Disney would go, it seems nowadays, it's what actors/actresses do to jump start their career. Oh well. Sorry if I insulted any High School Musical fans

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt very much that poor Vanessa wanted any of this to happen. I feel bad for her. How many of us would want some of our teenage knuckleheaded stunts to be broadcast on the web? I think the embarrassment she is going through and what it must be doing to her family are more punishment that Disney could do her at this point. I am not really interested in these movies myself, but I would not stop my daughter from watching them based on this event.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. I think that this is an unfortunate situation. People make dumb decisions all the time, and I would say that she knew this stuff was out there, and unfortunately it all came out as soon as she had some money. I know the second I get famous those pics and films will come out and ruin my career too. Just kidding.

Who cares? She is an actress, she doesn't actually live in High School Musical. Life does exist beyone Disney ... and since they have made movies with MANY adult actors/actresses that aren't 100% perfect I don't really see the problem.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, my kids could watch #3. I doubt they will even hear about this and really wouldn't understand it if they did. Poor girl......sometimes we do things as teenagers that we'd like to forget. Unfortunately, when you are a celebrity it becomes everyone else's business, too.
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Everyone of us probably have moments in our lives that we wish we would have made a different choice. Hopefully, we didn't suffer the sort of judgement that some like mior ss Hudgens has been, and will likely continue to be.

She made a choice that she now very likely regrets. She as publicly apologized for it. What more should we ask? If we're worrying about what sort of lesson children might learn from this, well what lesson would they learn if we did not accept a sincere apology. If we fail to accept her apology then what lessons about forgiveness for our mistakes, or about being critically judgemental of others would we be demonstrating. Some will say that she should be a role model, but I would counter that statement by saying that the REAL role models for our children are us. With that in mind, what sort of behavior do you want to demonstrate?

The girl made a mistake, took responsibility for it, and then apologized for it. To me, that is being a role model. For me, I say drop it, and move on.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

The Associated Press
    Updated: 3:35 p.m. MT Sept 7, 2007
    NEW YORK - The Walt Disney Co. is sticking with the 18-year-old star of its wildly successful “High School Musical” franchise, despite her “lapse in judgment” in posing for racy photos that were leaked to the Internet.

The 18-year-old star of Disney Channel’s wildly successful “High School Musical” franchise apologized on Friday. The photos show a coquettishly smiling Hudgens posing naked in a bedroom with a red curtain behind her.

“I want to apologize to my fans, whose support and trust means the world to me,” Hudgens said in a statement. “I am embarrassed over this situation and regret having ever taken these photos. I am thankful for the support of my family and friends.”

Hudgens’ publicist, Jill Fritzo, wouldn’t say anything about who took the pictures and how they slipped out onto the Internet.

The Disney Channel (part of the Walt Disney Co.) denied a published report that Hudgens will be dropped from the upcoming feature film “High School Musical 3.” That movie is in development and negotiations with the stars are incomplete.

Disney had no further comment about the pictures.

Hudgens portrayed the bookworm love interest of Troy, the basketball star played by pinup king Zac Efron in the first two made-for-cable “High School Musical” movies. The sequel’s premiere on Disney Channel last month attracted more than 17 million viewers, making it the summer’s most-watched TV program.

She’s a superstar among the pre-teen set, and Disney has spun a wide merchandising net around the series with albums and concert tours. She and Efron reportedly date in real life.

The films’ wholesome nature — for a company that has made its name on family-friendly fare for generations — is a big part of its success. Parents of the largely pre-teen fan base can relax knowing their children are watching, knowing it won’t make for any uncomfortable questions.

Gabriella and Troy coo, they make googly eyes, they barely kiss. They certainly don’t show off nude pictures.

Disney shouldn't dump her
    If Disney were to dump Hudgens for another actress, not wanting its name associated with anything not G-rated, it runs the risk of upsetting a formula that has made it millions.

How would parents explain to the show’s young fans that the old Gabriella had to go?

“That’s her private life, not her public life. That picture got leaked by somebody who broke a trust with her,” said Michele Smith of Westborough, Mass., whose 8-year-old daughter Kathryn is a devoted “High School Musical” fan.

Hudgens shouldn’t have to pay a price for the incident, Smith said, adding she was concerned that Disney’s image might prompt the company to take action against the actress.

Dropping her from future movies or other “High School Musical” projects would not only be unfair to Hudgens but to fans such as Kathryn, Smith said.

“If Vanessa is not in the movie, my daughter would not be so excited to see it,” she said.

Smith said she hopes that Kathryn doesn’t hear about the photo but, if she does, she’s prepared to talk about it. She’ll say that it’s something private for Vanessa that shouldn’t have been shared.

The best thing for Disney to do is nothing, said Michael Levine, a Hollywood image consultant and author of 18 books.

“What they shouldn’t do is make a bigger deal out of it than is necessary,” he said. “The picture is not salacious.”

Michael Sands, a publicist whose clients have included Britney Spears’ ex-husband Kevin Federline, said Hudgens should be commended for coming forward quickly and saying it was her picture.

He also advised Disney to stand by her.

“This is a big cash cow for Disney,” Sands said.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    Hmmm. I think that this is an unfortunate situation. People make dumb decisions all the time, and I would say that she knew this stuff was out there, and unfortunately it all came out as soon as she had some money. I know the second I get famous those pics and films will come out and ruin my career too. Just kidding.

Who cares? She is an actress, she doesn't actually live in High School Musical. Life does exist beyone Disney ... and since they have made movies with MANY adult actors/actresses that aren't 100% perfect I don't really see the problem.
    Is this REALLY a big deal? No, not in my opinion. I didn't read much about this because frankly, I'm not all that interested Disney Channel shows and don't know anything about them. I do know I read a headline that read "Disney backs actress". I guess she's safe.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snifflesmcg View Post
    Is this REALLY a big deal? No, not in my opinion. I didn't read much about this because frankly, I'm not all that interested Disney Channel shows and don't know anything about them. I do know I read a headline that read "Disney backs actress". I guess she's safe.
    I actually had not even heard it until I read it here! Nope, not a big deal!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well.....in the words of Hannah Montanna.....

"Nobody's perfect.......everybody makes mistakes....."
    DREAMS ARE MAKE-BELIVE UNTIL THEY ALL COME TRUE....

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is more treasure n books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main ... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life- Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I feel bad for her. Things like that are meant to stay private and it's sad that someone would take advantage of her. It's nice to see Disney is backing her. She meant no harm. She's only human. I'll watch HM3 and support it.
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, my thoughts when I read the story last night were, "That poor girl, she's only 18 and being exploited." I don't think of her as an adult. I didn't think of my nieces as adults at 18 (I don't have children, but am close to my nieces). I'd be spitting nails if someone did that to them.

That said, curiousity got the better of me and I did a Google Image search. Well, I guess they were taken down or they are very hard to access, so it's mostly a tempest in a teapot. I would definitely think differently if she had sought out Mr. Flynt, but that is totally not the case. That being said, some of the pictures I did see, publicity I assume, she is smiling rather coyly and looking pretty sexy (in an innocent, Lolita type way) so I think she is being marketed that way. It's probably a good thing this happened now. It will help her to be aware of how she is managed and marketed before it ever gets out of hand.

I have had the opportunity to watch parts of High School Musical recently. Personally, I don't see why it is so successful. I find the music annoying. In addition, I see it as emphasizing images of beauty and popularity and for that reason, no I won't want my children (girls especially) watching it. Nothing to do with this little scandal. Sorry to say, but I think it is just glorifying the typical "popular" looks. Most likely I wouldn't turn on the Disney Channel for my pre-teen/tween/teen girls. I felt a little differently a few years back. It just seems to be all about star making and pushing ideas of what's in onto kids. Kids have enough pressure. I would rather they grow up with independent thought.

I think that Disney kind of got stuck between a rock and a hard place. HSM and their stable of actresses, actors, singers aimed at the tweens/teens are huge money makers. They need to protect that. The girl make a dumb mistake (especially for someone in the business) and was exploited because of it. At least, it seems that way. So, really there is no choice but to stand by her. It's the only right decision in this case.

I would rather show the kids in my family Haily Mills and Annette, though. Walt had standards for them that I admire. He also had work for them that I admire. Annette may have done a lot of beach movies in her adulthood, but she always upheld that standard that Walt Disney set.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

In addition, I see it as emphasizing images of beauty and popularity and for that reason,
    Perhaps you should watch the entire movie! That is actually what they are not promoting.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to remember who the stars in the film are however and who are on the covers of the magazines, all impossibly goodlooking people. A little ironic I think, given the supposed message of the film. I prefer films like Hairspray, who have lovable characters that are not a size 2. And as mentioned before, Disney used to have a much different standard for their stars than they do now. Enough with the Lindsays/Britneys/Vanessas!! However, that said, I think the music in High School Musical is extremely catchy!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: