Quantcast Purchasing New Luggage

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Purchasing New Luggage

Don't know if this is the place to ask this question but here goes.

I am in the market for a new set of luggage and am in a quandry as what brand to buy. I would like one that is going to endure what the airlines put it through. I have been looking around but have not found any that really appeal to me. Everything is black, black, black and more black. Anyway, has anyone out there purchased luggage that is really holding up to the wear and tear? If so, where did you purchase it, what brand, etc. Thanks in advance!
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the quality of it, but my mom just called me earlier today as Macy's is going to have a pretty nice 5 piece set on sale tomorrow for $ 60.00. She said it looks very sturdy and 3 of the pieces are decent sized suitcases! Might be worth checking out if you have a macy's.

Good Luck - The other set we have is from Target about 3 years old, but holding up very well. It was a 4 piece set ( 2 suitcases, 1 duffle bag type thing on wheels with extendable handle and 1 reg duffle bag for carry on. It also came with a small toiletry case (so I guess it should be a 5 piece) We got it on Cleareance for about $35.00!!

Disneyfan328
    Pittsburgh PA
    3/97 - All Star Music
    9/07 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2009All Star Movie~Wedding Anniversary!
    January 2012 All Star Movies
    December 2013 - All Star Movies to celebrate birthdays!
    Planning our December 2015 "Paige's Sweet 16" Birthday Trip -Art of Animation!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We've been really happy with our set of luggage by Atlantic, purchased in 1999. We have used the various pieces for pretty heavy air travel (business and personal) -- both domestic and international. All of the pieces have held up nicely. Actually, the zipper just broke on one of the suitcases (the largest one we've used most often) this summer, and we replaced it with a suitcase by Samsonite. We'll see how that one holds up!

As far as where we purchased the Atlantic set -- I can't remember -- but I'm guessing if you visit their web site they would have a list of vendors?
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

We have had the same hardside "clamshell" style luggage for about 10 years now. It's holding up great! I know others who have gone through 3 or 4 sets in the lifetime of mine. I really hope they never break.

Being hardside, I'm not very concerned about things breaking, provided I pack them in the middle. They are very maneuverable and have just worked out fantastic. They are samsonite, I think I got them for $99 each, best travel money I ever spent.

The only downside to hardside luggage is it's often a little ont he heavy side, and with airlines setting pretty aggressive weight policies, you need to be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

We picked up some luggage at JCPenney several years ago. To be honest, we don't do much air travel, but that stuff has been thrown all over our home and gone through multiple vacations. It's quite sturdy. The brand is Protocol although I can't say I've ever heard much about it. The material is very thick and the zippers are heavy duty. It's got extra support on the corners and the edges have a hard piping. It's a 5 piece set, 3 of them being on wheels with a pull handle. The other 2 pieces are duffel bag type overnighters. You may already know this, but make sure your luggage has in-line skate wheels. This makes for a MUCH smoother drive, so to speak. Anyway, all this to say I think Penney's has good, quality luggage. BTW, we got ours on sale for 50% off. This may be a great time to buy luggage on sale since travel season is slowing down.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

My parents travel all the time now that they are retired and fully enjoying it. They take a big trip about every three months: cruises, Europe, Mexico, etc. What they have found is that no matter what type of luggage you have, the luggage handlers can mangle it. It winds up being a wasted hassle to report the damages to the airline or cruise company for the damage. They require proof of purchase, date of manufacture, number of uses to determine the "depreciated" value, then they offer about 50% of that. It comes down to about $25 after hours and hours and hours of arguing.

The best advice is to buy "throw-away" luggage. I saw the Macy's sale also for $60. I am heading there in a few hours to take a look. Kohl's has similar sales all the time.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago my Mom bought me a set called Embark from Mervyns. It was probably in the $79-99 field for an entire set. Bright Blue.

I LOVE it. It's holding up very very well. But expensive or cheap the BIG BIG BIG thing I can recommend that I learned with this set is.... MAKE SURE YOUR NEW LUGGAGE ROLLS IN EVERY DIRECTION. You can't always rent those luggage carriers conveniently.

The Embark set that I have now rolls in all directions easily. I have two big ones that I usually take and I just slap the two together and push (it's usually just my son and I but some trips require extra stuff and I am a HORRIBLE over packer...but not as bad as my dearest friend who packed 30 shirts for a 5 day trip )

Trust me on this one once you have a good 360 roller set...you'll never want anything. else.

I vote look for the features:
    1) 360 roll
    2) A set with the sizes you need...be careful here a little If you get over a 27 you may have a hard time with the "weight limits" of airlines once you get it all packed...but then I'm a STUFFER.
    3) Bright color (if offered)...remember you can ALWAYS sew on Patches or wrap it with luggage straps
    4) You shouldn't need to pay over $99 (unless you intend to but right before summer...the price always goes up a bit).

I've had an expensive suitcase and I've have the cheap ones and neither last really any longer. Just remember to check your cases when they come off the belt for major damage. Scratches and scuffs will be NORMAL but ripping and tears are not and the airlines is somewhat responsible for the repair of this.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I think I'll be spending my weekend luggage shopping!
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a 3 piece set from the Disney store online this summer. I haven't used it yet, but it certainly looks sturdy, with the "smooth-rolling corner wheels, recessed retractable handles, easy-grip Mickey icon zipper pulls, molded corner guards, top carry handles, self-repairing nylon coil zippers and more!" (description from the website) It's actually on sale this week for 59.99. The tote is a little small, but if you have a bigger family, you can get two sets at that price!
    July 1976-Off Site
    March 1993-Off-Site
    Oct. 1994-Port Orleans
    Feb. 1997-Port Orleans
    Dec. 1998-Dixie Landings-Cruise-Dixie Landings
    Nov. 2001-Caribbean Beach
    Nov. 2004-POR-CRUISE-POR
    Sept 2005 DL Paradise Pier
    Dec. 2006 POP
    Dec. 2007 CR
    Nov. 2008- POR
    Oct. 2010 BWV
    Nov. 2011 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by debandbub View Post
    I just bought a 3 piece set from the Disney store online this summer. I haven't used it yet, but it certainly looks sturdy, with the "smooth-rolling corner wheels, recessed retractable handles, easy-grip Mickey icon zipper pulls, molded corner guards, top carry handles, self-repairing nylon coil zippers and more!" (description from the website) It's actually on sale this week for 59.99. The tote is a little small, but if you have a bigger family, you can get two sets at that price!

We have a couple of sets of these. They get banged up at the airport but we're still using them. Maybe I've had 10 trips so far with one set. Worth the money IMHO

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy my luggage from Tuesday Morning. They always have great labels at great prices. I just got a SwissGear (from the makers of the army knife) brand yesterday for a smaller carry-on. We need more space in the truck. I bought an Atlantis brand from there- in fact 3 of them for about $50 each and they are great and have made many trips.
    When I got home with this yesterday I thought my kids were going to complain b/c I did pay a little more it was $79 -- I was surprised when all 3 said- I want one. I turned to my son and said but it's red? but he says it's just better to spot at the airport (he is flying in from a trip to Canada then driving back w/ us on our next trip - in 30 days) If you have a Tuesday Morning- check it out..
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
    We've been really happy with our set of luggage by Atlantic, purchased in 1999. We have used the various pieces for pretty heavy air travel (business and personal) -- both domestic and international. All of the pieces have held up nicely.
    We also purchased Atlantic in 1999. I LOVE this luggage, and it has been used and abused (by the airlines). On my last trip earlier this year, the front pocket ripped out slightly. I like it so much, I decided to get it repaired. I took it to a luggage place, and they fixed it NO CHARGE - it was STILL under warranty! Its good as new and ready for another 8 years!!
    Since I just HAPPEN to be in a luggage store, I ended up buying another Atlantic piece - slightly larger, and lighter. I am sold on this brand. Cost slightly more - but WELL worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I bought a very nice piece of luggage (Samsonite or American Tourister) at a big NYC luggage store, and paid a pretty penny for it. First trip out, it comes off the carousel without a wheel. Neither the airline (US Airways), the manufacturer nor the store would take responsibility for the damage and I was out somewhere in the neighborhood of $200. After that experience, I agree that paying too much for a piece of luggage is not for me. Our set after that came from Costco and we've used it since 2000. I like the fact that you can put once piece inside the other for storage (and also will do that knowing that sometimes we come home with fluffier ... or more... stuff than when we left).

The one piece that gets the most use in our household is our Mickey roll-on. Bought it at the POFQ gift shop in 2003 to carry home our many souvenirs. It just keeps on going and going and going!

Two years ago I caved in and bought a set of Joy Magano's luggage from QVC. While she had an interesting idea, in practice it didn't work too well as when fully packed, the luggage doesn't have good stability and tips over easily. Now I'm kinda tempted by the Lands' End luggage with its durable fabric and bright colors. I need to step away from the luggage department!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink&Goofy View Post
    We also purchased Atlantic in 1999. I LOVE this luggage, and it has been used and abused (by the airlines). On my last trip earlier this year, the front pocket ripped out slightly. I like it so much, I decided to get it repaired. I took it to a luggage place, and they fixed it NO CHARGE - it was STILL under warranty! Its good as new and ready for another 8 years!!
    Since I just HAPPEN to be in a luggage store, I ended up buying another Atlantic piece - slightly larger, and lighter. I am sold on this brand. Cost slightly more - but WELL worth it.
    I have Atlantic luggage also. I got it for a high school graduation gift in 2000. Recently, I had a zipper break also. I'd like to get it fixed...did you just take it to any luggage store and they fixed it or do I need to find paperwork...I don't think I have any at this point. Thanks.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

American tourister is the brand we like and have bought. We bought a 5 piece from Wall Mart in 2006 on clearence for 35.00. This is the brand we have used my whole life and so I bought other brands at other prices and they do not last anywhere near where american tourister is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    But expensive or cheap the BIG BIG BIG thing I can recommend that I learned with this set is.... MAKE SURE YOUR NEW LUGGAGE ROLLS IN EVERY DIRECTION.
    I completely agree. This is such a convenient feature. I have one main suitcase that is my own. I bought it for $70 at Target a few years back. It is light pink, and is the "clamshell" type, but mine is pretty lightweight. It has worked out great! The only thing I regret is the color. It is so light that every mark shows up on the outside. I never really thought about how much your luggage just gets banged around until I saw all the skid marks after our last vacation.

My family has a history of issues with luggage zippers. This isn't really something you can test out ahead of time, unfortunately. We have had zippers broken on both Samsonite and American Tourister luggage. The zippers were fixed free of charge but it was a bit of a hassle to get the luggage to the main store and then wait for it to be shipped back.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Jansport has started making very large luggage recently. I have a backpack from them, and I've had it for about 5 years now, and its just a regular backpack!! I can only imagine how the luggage holds up! The best part about them is that they have many fabric designs with TONS of colors and patterns. They will be VERY easy to pick out!

I am tempted to get one of their bags, but I don't check in often, so I may get a set and use the 21". They are a little pricey, $109 for a 3 piece set. I found them at a wholesale store chain we have here called Sam Moon.
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: