Quantcast Do you tip at Starbucks, Einsteins, etc.? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally hate to feel like I'm "supposed" to be tipping anyone.

1. I always tip housekeeping/mousekeeing the first day of my visit. If they do a lousy job, no more tip. Generally, however, I get better housekeeping service. Then I continue to tip every day of my stay.

2. Table service. I will tip according to the service provided. If the service is horrible (and the fault of the server not the kitchen staff) then the tip may very well be non-existent. If merely adequate I tip for the convenience provided and nothing more - usually 10- 12 %. Good service 15-17% . Outstanding service 20% or more depending on the circumstances .We had one instance where the power went out during a horrible storm. The servers were incredible making sure eveyrone was comfortable and ok. We had to move to the rear of the building because of a tornado warning . They made sure none of the children were overly scared. (We had no children, but there were plenty in the building) We had already been served our dinner when the storm hit and were able to eat it before things got bad. Obviously without power nothing could be cooked after that. Once we returned to our tables the server told us that dinner was on the house. This particular server was tipped $20 (would have been more, but htat was all the cash I had on me at the time. It was still less than our meal would have been but we would have put that on the AE).

3. Valet parking - rarely use, but tip about $2-5 on retrieval of the car depending on how much the valets are hustling.

4. Valet baggage service - usually $1/bag when it's brought to or picked up from my room.

5. Cabs - depends on how they drive. If they scare me to death - nothing. If they drive safely and are friendly then it depends on the length of the trip.

6. Towncars from Orlando to WDW- usually $10 each way - again with the same restrictions as cabs.

7. Counter service - no way. I find the "tip" jars next to the cash register very annoying.

8. Hairdresser - depends on the salon. If they own their own station - probably not. If an employee - then probably $1 or $2. Same with shampoo girls.

9. Buffet service - only if the waitperson actually does anything like refilling drinks frequently. Usually - no.

In all situations, if service or attitude is particularly bad then I won't leave any tip. If service or attitude goes above and beyond, then I might tip a great deal more than otherwise intended.

10. Curbside checkin - depends on the airport. If I have to pay extra for the service, I don't tip in addition. If the service is free - I tip.
    Please wait to put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the auditorium, safely
    5/99 - All Star Movies
    12/00 - Boardwalk Villas
    10/01- Fort Wilderness
    10/07- Pop Century
    2001 - 2013 Boardwalk Villas
    5/13 - Port Orleans French Quarter

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by January-2007 View Post
    I'm a scratch cooker so we don't eat out much or go to Starbucks, heck there isn't a Starbucks where I live...

shhhhh... not so loud. they might hear you.

Don't be surprised if you see a big green STARBUCKS COMING SOON sign in the near future.

There's even Starbucks across the street from another starbucks.
    "in darkness there is power"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this was really interesting to read!

I don't go to Starbucks, but our Dunkin Donuts has had a tip jar in the past and I have thrown my change in it, but mostly I'll tip if I have a big order - for example, we have our 5k walk on Saturday - I'll order ahead 3 boxes of Joe and 100 munchkins to be ready at a specific time - if it's ready when I walk in to get it, I will tip because I appreciate it all being ready. I certainly don't feel I have to tip, but more I want to.

I definitely do not think that places like McDonalds should have tip jars! But, I do believe in taking care of your bartender! I met my husband at the bar his Dad owned so that was kind of drilled into me!

I admit that I tend to be overly...I don't know if sympathetic is the right word, or grateful, or what... But, there are certains times I tip, not because it's necessary or even valid, but because I just want to do something nice for someone. For example, someone mentioned Dairy Queen - I actually do tip at ours. It's the only ice cream shop for a few towns, HS kids work there and in the summer, lines are always out the door - yet, they are always polite and friendly, even when it's hot and people get impatient. So, I throw a dollar in the tip jar....just because. I definitely do think the tip jar thing has gotten out of hand but honestly, for me, it just comes down to being grateful - when I'm appreciative of something someone has done for me, I tip - not because I should, not because a tip jar is staring me in the face, but just to say thank you. Honestly, though, it really is probably more that I don't think about it that much - whether I should or shouldn't, whether it's a valid tipped position or not, whether it's right or wrong - I just kind of tend to throw something in there, say thanks and go about my day. Totally a personal choice!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I work at Starbucks, and we do expect tips from people. The tip jar is there because we are specially making every drink to the customer's standards.
    Being a barista is an artform. You have to steam the milk at the right angle, have the right amount of foam, at the right tempurature. The espresso shots all should be pulled within a certain amount of time, with the right amount of crema and body. To people who have never been a barista, I don't think they realize the dedication that goes into thier drinks. It deserves tips. It is NOT just pushing buttons.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Also...

I DO NO tip at Starbucks or any other fast food type counter service place. EVER. Even if the boys are cute ... they make more than minimum wage, and do not get taxed for tips, so there is NO requirement for tips.
    Starbucks employees DO get taxed for tips.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    I work at Starbucks, and we do expect tips from people. The tip jar is there because we are specially making every drink to the customer's standards.
    Being a barista is an artform. You have to steam the milk at the right angle, have the right amount of foam, at the right tempurature. The espresso shots all should be pulled within a certain amount of time, with the right amount of crema and body. To people who have never been a barista, I don't think they realize the dedication that goes into thier drinks. It deserves tips. It is NOT just pushing buttons.
    Not to be rude but...It aint that difficult. Walking on the moon and getting there...Thats difficult. I dont see Astronauts getting tips...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    Not to be rude but...It aint that difficult. Walking on the moon and getting there...Thats difficult. I dont see Astronauts getting tips...
    Really? Astronauts? You are using an astronaut analogy?
    I am not saying it is rocket science, but it is definetly an artform. I garantee not everyone can make great drinks. If you put an average person in front of an espresso machine with espresso beans and milk, they couldn't even begin how to know to make a good drink. I went through 3 weeks of training, and I am STILL learning things today.
    AKA Courtney

Most Recent Trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    It's not customary to tip at restaurants off base here in Japan. They won't accept it.
    I was recently having a discussion about this with my wife who grew up in China. There isn't a lot of tipping there either. We were just in Las Vegas last week and she was surprised how much tipping is done here in the U.S.

Being a barista is an artform. You have to steam the milk at the right angle, have the right amount of foam, at the right tempurature.
    I can see some justification for a tip when you talk about it that way. I don't go to Starbucks, but I have a good friend who was a manager and master coffee maker or whatever it is called there.

I personally don't go to Starbucks very often, only if I'm meeting someone, but I don't tip at any places that serve me over a counter. If someone is bringing things to my table and checking on my often to make sure everything is good ... those are the people I tip.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

mttafire Guest

Really? Astronauts? You are using an astronaut analogy?
    I am not saying it is rocket science, but it is definetly an artform. I garantee not everyone can make great drinks. If you put an average person in front of an espresso machine with espresso beans and milk, they couldn't even begin how to know to make a good drink. I went through 3 weeks of training, and I am STILL learning things today.
    As for tipping goes...Waiters/ Waitresses, Bel hops/luggage handlers YES tip. I used the Astronaut analogy for point only. Im a Firefighter Paramedic. Took me almost 3 years of training and appox 100 hrs per year continuing education every year after. LOTS of responsibility. Do i deserve a tip?....NO. Just because one things they have an "artform" LOL..Doesnt mean they deserve a tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IloveDisney71 View Post
    I don't think people at counter service restaurants or fast food drive up's should be tipped. They make min. wage.
    I do not mind tipping 20% to a good waitress or waiter because they do not make min. wage. But if they are not good...the tip goes down accordingly. I think some people expect something for nothing.
    Actually they usually make more than min. wage. Even the sacker at your local grocer is probably making more than minium wage. Having worked in a deli, and in a pizza parlor in college, this is my feeling on tipping.

Counter service - No
    Buffets - No
    Table service yes - 15% - 25%.
    Delivery drivers yes $2 to $15. (Depending on the quantity, trust me delivering 2 pizzas is alot easier than delivering 15)
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Also...

Starbucks employees DO get taxed for tips.
    Only if they claim them. In the 2 jobs that I held in my life where I got tips, no one claimed the tips. (Not that it mattered much, most of us were students and didn't make enough to get taxed anyway, it was the only time in my life I enjoyed filing my tax return. It meant I was getting all my money back).
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

My wife likes me to get TCBY for her every now and then. They have a tip cup. But when when you are paying nearly $10 for two treats I find it hard to justify a tip. So much of their costs go to the the franchise and advertising costs it probably doubles the cost to tthe consumer and it is the poor minimum wage work on the other end that gets stuck. It is the American way. The rich get richer and the poor, well you know...
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Only if they claim them. In the 2 jobs that I held in my life where I got tips, no one claimed the tips. (Not that it mattered much, most of us were students and didn't make enough to get taxed anyway, it was the only time in my life I enjoyed filing my tax return. It meant I was getting all my money back).
    It's not a case of claiming them. At the end of the night, the manager takes the tips and you get them back at the end of the week.
    AKA Courtney

Most Recent Trips:

mttafire Guest

It's not a case of claiming them. At the end of the night, the manager takes the tips and you get them back at the end of the week.
    You need to do a better job of hiding them!!
    The past two summers i mowed a few lawns to make extra monies for vacations and etc..
    I ask our accountant the best way to handle the money come tax time.....He said, What money?
    Cash is cash. "No one reports cash". Thats just the way it is.
    There is sooo many opinions on tipping and etc..Just do what YOU think is right and thats all that matters. As long as what you do is right, right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    Cash is cash. "No one reports cash".
    Think Al Capone. That's why the government is after the mob. And that is why they should legalize narcotics. Think of the taxes they could collect. But I suppose that is another arguement for another day.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I work at Starbucks, and we do expect tips from people.
    To expect anything is very presumptuous and rude. I agee with the majority of the others. Counter service should be a non-tipable event.

Being a barista is an artform.
    An art form? Who fed you that line, corporate? I went to a concert last week. They were artists but did not ask for tips. I suppose that is bcause they are professionals and professionals don't ask for tips.

Again, I don't mean to be rude. You just come off somewhat niave (sp?) and arrogant.
    Beth & David

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    To expect anything is very presumptuous and rude. I agee with the majority of the others. Counter service should be a non-tipable event.

An art form? Who fed you that line, corporate? I went to a concert last week. They were artists but did not ask for tips. I suppose that is bcause they are professionals and professionals don't ask for tips.

Again, I don't mean to be rude. You just come off somewhat niave (sp?) and arrogant.
    100% agreed. VERY WELL stated.

Post Thanks / Like

No. I reguard myself as an artist. As do all baristas. The work I put in to make drinks everyday to a specific standard and specification takes talent.
    I know it's 'just making coffee' to some people. Just like to people unaware of the dedication wine makers put into thier craft, wine is just wine. But to those that reguard coffee as more, they come in expecting a certain quality of product, and I provide that, so they tip. I make $7 an hour; if I make a drink that someone doesn't enjoy, I agree that I don't deserve at tip. But for the 'love', if you wanna look at it that way, that goes into thier drink, we would appreciate tips.
    For the same reason most people shell out hundreds of dollars for a wedding cake instead of just buying a supermarket cake for $20, I get tips for the work that I do because more goes into it than just pressing buttons. It takes skill, so it is an artform.
    And as for ALL the other jobs that don't get tips, they don't deal with the public on a regular basis. They don't work customer service jobs. My job is a barista AND a CS representative for the company I work for, and for THAT, tips are common. Just like you tip bartenders.
    You have as much right as anyone to not tip people you don't think deserve it; but to shell out dollar everytime someone goes out of thier way to do something stellar for you, I hope you recognize that and repay them in the way that is kosher to their craft.
    AKA Courtney

Most Recent Trips:

mttafire Guest

No. I reguard myself as an artist. As do all baristas. The work I put in to make drinks everyday to a specific standard and specification takes talent.
    I know it's 'just making coffee' to some people. Just like to people unaware of the dedication wine makers put into thier craft, wine is just wine. But to those that reguard coffee as more, they come in expecting a certain quality of product, and I provide that, so they tip. I make $7 an hour; if I make a drink that someone doesn't enjoy, I agree that I don't deserve at tip. But for the 'love', if you wanna look at it that way, that goes into thier drink, we would appreciate tips.
    For the same reason most people shell out hundreds of dollars for a wedding cake instead of just buying a supermarket cake for $20, I get tips for the work that I do because more goes into it than just pressing buttons. It takes skill, so it is an artform.
    And as for ALL the other jobs that don't get tips, they don't deal with the public on a regular basis. They don't work customer service jobs. My job is a barista AND a CS representative for the company I work for, and for THAT, tips are common. Just like you tip bartenders.
    You have as much right as anyone to not tip people you don't think deserve it; but to shell out dollar everytime someone goes out of thier way to do something stellar for you, I hope you recognize that and repay them in the way that is kosher to their craft.
    I beginning to think that the high water boots should be placed on....Its getting DEEP here. Anyways, Good luck at the coffee shop. I think its time to move on.....Regards, Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    I went to a concert last week. They were artists but did not ask for tips. I suppose that is because they are professionals and professionals don't ask for tips.
    I was thinking the same thing...I went to school for 4 years to specalize in a profession. I'm going to school again to specialize in nursing. Am I a professional, yes. And it takes more than 3 weeks of training. Do I expect a tip at the end of the day, no. I get paid to do what I am trained to do, chose to do. My tip is knowing that I can do my job and do it well. I don't forsee tipping anyone at a counterservice restaurant where they hire highschool students to work. I hardly think they take their work serious enough to call themselves "artist."

Sorry, but I can make coffee pretty good myself, and a great latte as well and am not a "barista" or "artist."
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: