Quantcast Is it OK to do this at CS locations? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If the place is that crowded, I don't eat there. But I have nothing against the people sitting down waiting for their food. They're there to eat and they have every right to sit down while their food is being prepared. It's ridiculous to think it's not "moral" for them to do that just because you're the one who can't get a table.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Russellville Arkansas...too far from the Magic!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Unfortunetly...

that is the reality of the world we live in. People will do what is easier for thier families and I have to say I have done it with my family of 4 and will definetly do so on our vacation this Oct since thier will be 8 of us and my father is somewhat wheelchair bound.

It seems that this is routine for many families and truly feel that CS places are aware of table holding as are most customers. We have given our table to families with smaller children as soon as we stand up and never take more time than needed.

Your not expected to take everyone to the counter just because its counter service and I think that many would agree the lines to get food would be twice as long therefore only causing another complaint. The only true way to have a table waiting when you get your food is to go to a TS establisment.

Just my humble opinion.

Hugs,
    Kristine
    Oct 05 ASMo Family, Food & MNSSHP
    Sept 06 CB-POP Fun & Friends trip & MNSSHP
    Oct 07 PORS Magical Gathering Exp. & MNSSHP
    September 08 PORS 6-Pack Attack Trip & MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

We get our table as soon as the order is placed. This way we are not occupying the table too early and everyone else gets out the way, including my dad in his w/c last year. Our habit is to order grab a table and hit the condiments before the food is carried to the table. So if it makes anyone else feel any better at least we have stacks of pickles mounting and straws (if not @ AK). Most often we are not finished gathering supplies when the food has arrived. We've even asked to join other like 2 ppl at a large table or squeezed into a smaller table. I understand the frustration.
    I do agree that "hogging" would be taking up more space than needed and we didn't start this behavior until after several times when we obtained our food and had to wait for a table.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinnerf View Post
    I think the practice is fine. I have to agree with a previous poster who had a family of 6. If people didnt hold tables all 6 people would be on line and then there would be a thread complaining about all the unrully kids on line. If anything it probably makes the dining experience go faster when only one or two people wait on line for food while the rest sit at a table.
    Amen! I agree totally. People complaining about not finding a seat would start complaining about all the unruly "brats" they had to put up with in line. Tensions would elevate even more and everyone would have an aweful time. It just shows good sense to allow little ones and sometimes us older ones, to sit rather than to stand in line. I also agree that the whole process takes far less time when you don't have everyone to usher to a table. I have been in line by myself and had people get impatient with me trying to pick up my tray without spilling it and get out of the way. Think how much longer it would take if I had to get my kids to move out of the way.
    Last edited by conorsmom2000; 09-06-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: already removed content poster was referring to
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

We are also a family of six. What we do is stand back from the ordering area, decide what we want. DH and DD (13) maybe DS(9) will stand in line while I take DD(6) and DD(4) and the stroller (unless we can leave it outside)to find a table. Now imagine this DH, self and 4 kids waiting in line through one of those narrow areas trying to move ahead enough to let the next person order and then trying to carry 2/3 trays of 6 drinks, 6 meals and 6 desserts and wandering around trying to find a table big enough for all of us. I assure you there would be spills. There is no reason for all of us to stand in line.

OP do you have children? Just curious because if you don't,it tends to make it a bit more complicated.

17 days!!!!!!!!!!!!
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

I started this thread to find out peoples views and reasons for doing this. Most of the reasons are perfectly understandable such as families and people with wheelchairs.
    Last edited by Rodders; 09-07-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Crossed wires
    Past trips
    1980 - DisneyWorld somewhere ;)
    2000 - Disney's All Stars
    2005 - Honeymoon @ POP Century
    2008 - POFQ

Man I need to get there more often

Post Thanks / Like

I don't object to "table holders" so much because it's hard to get a table once you have your meal primarily because there are those that LINGER at the table FOREVER. They're obviously done and have been DONE since you first got in line but they continue to hang out and chat while the kids run amuck because they're bored. Not a big deal during "non-peak" times but if it's "during" PEAK hours PLEASE...clean up your place and LEAVE chat elsewhere.

And OH MY...Do I ever hate it when these people have been sitting and "chatting" not eating...while I've been wandering looking for a table for 10 + minutes (naturally eyeing their table because they're OBVIOUSLY done)and then they leave the table with all their TRASH on it for YOU to clean if you want the table. Whazzup with that???
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I makes sense to not take a family of 4,5,6+ in line when 1 or 2 people can just do the ordering. However I like the suggestion of one poster, that she takes the children into the bathroom to potty and wash up. That's an awesome idea.

Personally, the last time I went with my DBF only, and we're going again this January, we stand in line together. First off- we don't see the point of seperating for 10 minutes just to get a table (yes we are that sickeningly in love, we don't want to leave each other's side ) and secondly we go in the off season so it was never that crowded. And finally we're both young, healthy, and we (i.e. he) are unselfish that we'd give up our table for those in need (i.e. single mom with 2 kids) if it was that crowded.

It is a truth that many people in this world are selfish, but we'd like to think people in the WORLD (i.e. disney) aren't as much. We're always willing to up our seats for those who need it more. Or at least we try to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    I don't object to "table holders" so much because it's hard to get a table once you have your meal primarily because there are those that LINGER at the table FOREVER. They're obviously done and have been DONE since you first got in line but they continue to hang out and chat while the kids run amuck because they're bored. Not a big deal during "non-peak" times but if it's "during" PEAK hours PLEASE...clean up your place and LEAVE chat elsewhere.

And OH MY...Do I ever hate it when these people have been sitting and "chatting" not eating...while I've been wandering looking for a table for 10 + minutes (naturally eyeing their table because they're OBVIOUSLY done)and then they leave the table with all their TRASH on it for YOU to clean if you want the table. Whazzup with that???
    I'm right with you!! I find people who linger at the tables much more annoying than people who send one person to get food and the rest of the party goes to sit. To sit and linger knowing that others are needing a place to sit and eat is far more rude in my opinion. And don't even get me started on the people who don't pick up after themselves..........I mean, who does that?
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator's Note

Please let's maintain a friendly tone of discussion in this thread! We are all here to talk about our "Happy Place"!

Thank you!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r4kids View Post
    We are also a family of six. What we do is stand back from the ordering area, decide what we want. DH and DD (13) maybe DS(9) will stand in line while I take DD(6) and DD(4) and the stroller (unless we can leave it outside)to find a table. Now imagine this DH, self and 4 kids waiting in line through one of those narrow areas trying to move ahead enough to let the next person order and then trying to carry 2/3 trays of 6 drinks, 6 meals and 6 desserts and wandering around trying to find a table big enough for all of us. I assure you there would be spills. There is no reason for all of us to stand in line.

OP do you have children? Just curious because if you don't,it tends to make it a bit more complicated.

17 days!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We don't have children. It's my DW and I when we go. Obviously having a large family group makes things different. I started this thread to hear other peoples points of view. It's clear to me that some people do this for genuine reasons and other people because they don't care if that makes some people wait for a table.
    Past trips
    2008 - POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you sit there and chat when there are things to see and places to go, rides to ride, shops to go broke in, etc. haha.

Yes yes yes I understand some people do not have endless bounds of energy, but that's what sugar and caffeine are for!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsMin View Post
    We get our table as soon as the order is placed. This way we are not occupying the table too early and everyone else gets out the way, including my dad in his w/c last year.
    And THIS seems to be the most reasonable and sensible compromise!

Post Thanks / Like

The way the counter service lines are set up at WDW makes it really impractical to have more than 2 people per party waiting in line. It would be impossible to ever reach the counter and get your food if the small gated line was clogged with families!

If I'm there with just my husband, we'll stand in line together, but if other people are along, the rest of us will go grab a table while one or two people wait in line and get the food.

Of course, we always eat early, so we're never in the midst of huge crowds in the dining rooms anyway.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    I definitely agree with the posters. If our group would've stayed in line with 3 two-year-olds instead of finding a table we would've been asked to leave!
    Yep, my wife always takes our 2 toddlers and finds a seat. Both for my sanity and the sanity of those around me!
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    We don't have children. It's my DW and I when we go. Obviously having a large family group makes things different. I started this thread to hear other peoples points of view. It's clear to me that some people do this for genuine reasons and other people because they don't care if that makes some people wait for a table.

Right on, I think it's a good thread but as with any thread there are those that will take things personally. Try not to get too offended. On a another note I will suggest(nicely) to folks who leave a table messy, and I quote " Your maid took the day off" It usually gets them to remember to come back and pick up.

16 days, 23 hours, 27 mins and I can't freaking wait!!
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

We do this at all "counter style" restaurants - whether at WDW or not. The boys give DH & I their orders and they go find a seat because it gives them something to do, we don't have to listen how hungry they are, and it makes the line less crowded. Whether McDonalds, Taco Bell, or Cosmic Rays this is our practice. I guess I never even thought that others don't do the same thing.

However, I will say when we are done eating, we leave. No sitting & chatting.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r4kids View Post
    Right on, I think it's a good thread but as with any thread there are those that will take things personally. Try not to get too offended. On a another note I will suggest(nicely) to folks who leave a table messy, and I quote " Your maid took the day off" It usually gets them to remember to come back and pick up.

16 days, 23 hours, 27 mins and I can't freaking wait!!
    I think it all boils down to how you approach this. Some people are so wrapped up in their own self that they run to the nearest table even if they cut infront of someone with food. I have had it happen to me on more than one occasion. I see an empty table and head for it slowly as I have food on a tray only to have someone run around me like it was some kind of game. I have also seen people doing this and then taking ages to decide what they want before they go to order and then sitting and chatting for ages after. I have no problem where people have physical limitations or children taking a table but some people just take liberties. People have the right to live how they want to but I just wish that some people would be a little more considerate.

As for not being too offended. Some people are unable to have a polite debate on an issue without resorting to petty name calling. Fortunately not often here on the best internet forum
    Past trips
    2008 - POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We send one person (maybe 2 depending on the size of our group) to buy the food. The rest of us get out of the way by finding a table. I would much rather people take their party to a table immediately and not clog up the line to order. Just this year I saw a kiddo who was not paying attention dart in front of a guy who just picked up his tray. The guy dropped the tray, food was everywhere, and it was another delay in an already long line. That kid would have been much better off sitting at a table out of the way. Plus, when only one person is in charge of ordering the transaction is completed faster thus allowing the line to move a little quicker. How many people do you need to place an order? The line to order has always been the most congested part of the restaurant in my experience so keeping unnecessary people out of that area seems like the right thing to do in my book.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, the only places I've seen overcrowding is Cosmic Rays and Flame Tree BBQ. At those two CS locations we've been forced to look for tables before our food is ready. I hate wandering around the restaurant, tray in hand - food getting cold. That being said, I DO wait in line with DH until he orders for both of us and then find a table. That way I'm not reserving the table for more than a few minutes and again, it's only when it's extremely crowded in the restaurant. I think WDW should just offer more seating.
    See You Real Soon!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: