Quantcast OKW Share Holders - Want 15 more years?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation OKW Share Holders - Want 15 more years?

Recent e-mail from the President of DVC to Cast Members:

Dear DVC Cast Family,

As we continue to celebrate “15 Years of Making Vacation Dreams Come True,” I’m pleased to announce an exciting opportunity for Members who call our original resort “home” to add 15 more magical years to their Membership.

In an historic move for our company, we’re preparing to provide Members at Disney’s Old Key West Resort the chance to extend their Disney Vacation Club Membership through January 2057. We’ll hold a special meeting of the Disney Vacation Club Condominium Association on September 24 to vote to extend the resort’s ground lease accordingly and, pending the outcome of that vote, we’ll formally present Members with this opportunity to extend their Membership term, or to decline by deeding their extension to Disney Vacation Development.

We anticipate that a significant number of our Members will take advantage of this unprecedented opportunity, as our Annual Condominium Survey clearly revealed their interest in doing so. As you know, Disney’s Old Key West Resort holds a special place in Members’ hearts, and we look forward to sharing this unique opportunity with our original Member family.

By extending the magic of Membership at our flagship resort, we’ll help families create new memories and pass on the legacy of Disney vacations to their loved ones for years to come. Your leadership team will be providing you with more details on this unique opportunity in coming days. Here’s to “15 More Years of Making Vacation Dreams Come True!”
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! This is very cool! (And surprising, I might add!)

I wonder if this will be a trend for the future. Although I don't own points at OKW, I think it's a very positive step for DVC to take.

Now, wondering how much those extra 15 years will cost...
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

mprewitt Guest

One possible interpretation of this is that SSR is selling out, and the Jambo rooms at AKV are also selling out, and DVC might soon have nothing to sell. Since DVC is sitting on a big pile of OKW points, they can market them to new prospective members, as well as get some more cash from OKW members.

If they offer it for BWV, VWL, and BCV, I won't be interested, as I'll be too old anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

This is very interesting. I wonder if this is there plan for the other resorts as the years pass by.
    10/08 SSR
    05/06 POFQ
    10/02 CBR
    3/00 DxL
    98 DxL
    96 Offsite
    95 ??
    Not sure of the rest

Post Thanks / Like

Default Okw

Wow....this is interesting news. I will call OKW my "home" in about 4 weeks. Wonder if I will be given the same chance at extension....and at what cost?? We bought at this resort because of the size of rooms and the overall feel of the resort. At the time we really didn't ponder going to a resort with a later date because my children will be in there late 40's by that time. The cost of the extension will definately be a deciding factor for us.

Can't wait to close on my "new home"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mprewitt View Post
    One possible interpretation of this is that SSR is selling out, and the Jambo rooms at AKV are also selling out, and DVC might soon have nothing to sell. Since DVC is sitting on a big pile of OKW points, they can market them to new prospective members, as well as get some more cash from OKW members.

If they offer it for BWV, VWL, and BCV, I won't be interested, as I'll be too old anyway!
    This is a great point. Inventory could be getting very low. I imagine if they do this at OKW they will likely do this at the other 2042 expiring resorts.

This would also give Disney the opportunity to raise prices on add ons to match prices for AKV and any other new resorts. They might start using ROFR more frequently if they can sell the points with a 2057 expiration date after paying resale 2042 prices.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

We are very curious to see what the pricing will be on the extension.
    My wife and I won't be here to see 2057, but it would be nice to think that our daughter could be taking her grandchildren to OKW until she's 67...
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

If this goes through there will obviously be an impact on resale values for those that do and don't extend.

As others have said the actual cost of extending will be crucial. Those who bought in early (like us) and paid around $51 a point won't want to pay a fortune to extend especially as we will all be getting on a bit by the current end of 2042
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be a cost issue for all members at OKW. By 2042 I will be in my 70's so I don't expect I would be able to go to WDW as much as I do now. If the cost is reasonable I would consider extending it and then transfer it to our DD when the time comes.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mprewitt View Post

If I am not mistaken the new Contemporary is being built now right?????

Is that going to be DVC???????

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtTigger View Post
    If I am not mistaken the new Contemporary is being built now right?????

Is that going to be DVC???????

It might be. It may not. The post that you quoted may still be right anyway. Kidani is definitely being built but is two years away in terms of reservations. If CRV is a reality, that has to be three years away. If DVC is running out of Jambo and SSR, they need to sell something with a 2057 expiration that new owners can actually make a reservation there. there.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Just got the official letter today.
    At a fee of $25/pt we can definitely pass on this "offer".
    "Come on Nana!"

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by minnie1956 View Post
    that would be less than the going rate....

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by minnie1956 View Post
    Can you buy as many as you want or is it a set limit.....
    Would love to add 100 points maybe.... to bad I dont own there......

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Doesn't seem like a bargain to me.
    At $25 to extend each point we already own for 15 more years it would cost us $6000 if I did my math right.
    Too rich for my blood...
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile OKW Share Holders - Want 15 more years?

I think the option for OKW members to extend their membership another 15yrs is a very nice thing. My guess is that all the DVC resorts will eventually offer extensions to their members.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like DVC is hoping that people will extend there memberships and will them to their children and Grandchildren, ensuring the next generation spends most of their vacations at WDW too.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

We go tthe letter today too. We own 230 pts and the prospect of another 15 yrs is very intriguing. I can't remember who said it above, but it has everything to do with our kids and *potential* grandkids. In 2042 DW and I will be 71 and 70 respectively. It'll be pretty funny seeing me tooling around the parks when I'm 85 or so if we add on the extra 15 yrs. Maybe we'll just do it as a goal to reach in our life and marriage.....
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    Doesn't seem like a bargain to me.
    At $25 to extend each point we already own for 15 more years it would cost us $6000 if I did my math right.
    Too rich for my blood...

DVC never really was meant to be a "bargain"

It was meant to ensure repeat business for Disney...and to allow the customers to lock up their future stays at a predetermined captial expense...more or less.

Since the sales are going much faster than when they started in 1992....the point costs have risen with the demand....

This price is about on par with those increases...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    DVC never really was meant to be a "bargain"

It was meant to ensure repeat business for Disney...and to allow the customers to lock up their future stays at a predetermined captial expense...more or less.

Since the sales are going much faster than when they started in 1992....the point costs have risen with the demand....

This price is about on par with those increases...
    Call me cynical but maybe Disney thinks they didn't get enough money out of those of us who bought back at the begining.......
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: