Quantcast "Old" Epcot vs. "New" Epcot

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Which Epcot do you prefer?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer "Old" Epcot (roughly 1982-1996)

46 46.00%
  • I prefer "New" Epcot (roughly 1996-present)

22 22.00%
  • I like both the same

31 31.00%
  • I like neither

1 1.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Old" Epcot vs. "New" Epcot

Over the years, significant changes have occured at Epcot. With the park's 25th anniversary near in sight, I'm interested in knowing what others think about the evolution of Epcot [a.k.a. EPCOT Center]. Has it changed for better, worse, or has it remained consistent in quality and purpose?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

i really love soarin, but imo the old epcot was much better! horizons, the original imagination, communicore, wonders of life, world of motion! EPCOT CENTER ROCKS
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Soarin and Mission:Space I can say that I enjoy both the old and new Epcots similarly. Though, I am disappointed that Wonders of Life is gone
    1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAJUNKING View Post
    i really love soarin, but imo the old epcot was much better! horizons, the original imagination, communicore, wonders of life, world of motion! EPCOT CENTER ROCKS

Agreed! The "old" Epcot Center was at least closer to what Walt originally planned for EPCOT to be. Also, it wasn't taken over by "characters" everywhere. Some rides don't have to have a television or movie character attached. It can just be what it is without having to throw a popular movie characters name into the title. I think it makes some people forget what Epcot is all about.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the old Epcot. I always liked the "retro-futuristic" feel to it. It was kind of a vision of what people back then thought what the future was going to be like (if that makes sense"
    *1993-CBR
    *1995-Dixie Landings
    *1999-2002 OKW (3 times)
    *2003-BCV(got engaged)
    *2005-Poly Concierge(honeymoon)
    *2007-AllStar Music(expecting 1st child)
    *2008- OKW (w/1st child)
    *2012-AKL villas

Post Thanks / Like

I miss horizons

I never really liked world of motion but I did like it better than test track which is really a snooze fest to me.

I haven't been on MS or Soarin yet but would probably like both of them, actually I'm quite sure I will love soarin.

Very early epcot didn't have Norway If I remember correctly so I wouldn't have cared for that and I believe it was missing the Seas

However It did have the original JIYI with Figment and Dreamfinder which was much better than its two replacements. Also i miss Image Works in this pavillion.
    All this said I voted for Old Epcot but I think Soarin will definately bring things up to more of a tie.

BTW is WOL pavillion now officially closed?
    2014 POR Alligator Bayou & Beach Club.
    1978-2007 Several Visits off Property.

"Come to the Tiki Room...No one ever takes a Siesta"

"Parents hold your kids by the hair and we're clear"

"I am happy to see they brought back Orange Bird!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Although I miss some of the old attractions like Wonders of Life & Horizons like most of you, I still like Epcot just as well as I have in the past. For me, it's the whole park - not just the rides - and I love the countries and feel of Epcot - it is a park like no other!
    "You can say it backwards, which is... DOCIOUSALIEXPIISTIC- FRAGILCALIRUPUS. - But that's going a bit too far, don't you think? - indubitably."
    -:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:-:¦:-•:*'"*:•.-:¦:--

* YC *WL *BC *BW *CB *Swan *Dolphin *GF *Poly* POFQ*

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago I would have definitely answered that it has changed for the worse because it was going through a stage where many things were in the process of changing but weren't complete yet. I suppose that it was unfair to judge it before the new attractions opened, but it was frustrating at the time to visit the park when there were very few attractions open at all. That all happened in the late 90s/ early 2000s. World of Motion had closed in 1996 because Test Track was originally scheduled to open in Spring 1997, but it was delayed by two years. In the mean time, Horizons was left to decay with very little maintenance because they didn't want to spend a lot of money on it when it was slated to be demolished soon to make way for Mission: Space. So, Horizons remained open for an extra two years (it was originally supposed to close in 1997 with the opening of Test Track) until Test Track opened in 1999 (TT seemed to break down more often right after it opened than it does now). That means that between 1996 and 2003, there was a missing attraction (either the current M:S area or the current TT area) on the east side of Future World. The fact that Epcot was one attraction short for several years could have been overlooked but that wasn't the only problem during that time period. Wonders of Life had begun its decline and Journey Into Imagination was changed into the atrocious second version, Journey Into Your Imagination. World Showcase had remained mostly the same during that time period so it was still nice, but it didn't and still doesn't have many attractions so it wasn't enough to carry the whole park. I had lost my affection for Epcot during that time period. What was once a very enjoyable park for me had become a disappointment.

Fortunately, things had begun to change for the better staring with the opening of Mission: Space in 2003. Soarin' followed in 2005 and the Living Seas was overhauled to add the Finding Nemo attractions shortly after that. Now Spaceship Earth is getting a much needed update. I feel that improvements need to be made to the Imagination Institute and the Wonders of Life Pavilion, but Epcot appears to be back on track as a whole.

In conclusion, Epcot is certainly much different now than it used to be, but I believe that its overall quality has remained consistent despite the rough times that it went through several years ago.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jclightchasr View Post
    BTW is WOL pavillion now officially closed?
    I think it's safe to say that Wonders of Life will not reopen. The double helix DNA tower has been dismantled and all signs refering to the pavillion have been removed. From what I've heard, everything has been removed inside except for Body Wars and Cranium Command, which are temporarily boarded up. The pavillion will supposedly be used to host the Food and Wine festival.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CajunKing that the "world's fair" feel that the older version of Epcot had is not quite the same, but I'm the first to admit that maintaining that type of concept would be difficult due to the constant updating that would be required to keep it "cutting edge." There were some really cool attractions, like Horizons & Communicore, that I enjoyed a lot and miss now when I visit, but I really like some of the newer rides like Test Track and I am looking forward to seeing how The Living Seas has been updated with the Nemo theming.

Robyn
    I never look back, darling! It distracts from the now.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others, miss Horizons which was about how the future would look which really represented the idea behind Future World. Also prefered the original Imagination pavillion. However, Soarn' is a great addition and then there is Mission: Space and Test Track. So, there are good things about both and they are about the same for me.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

mttafire Guest

I prefer the new. Im 37 so i know both old and new EPCOT. I am a firm believer of "change is good". Keep looking AHEAD.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    I prefer the new. Im 37 so i know both old and new EPCOT. I am a firm believer of "change is good". Keep looking AHEAD.
    I am also 37 and I remember the old EPCOT too. It was nice. I also agree that change is good and I hope they add more countries in the future. How about an another African country, Spain, or Ireland?
    Visted Disney World since 1975
    Disney treehouses 1980's
    All-Star Movies 1990's

All-Star Music 2000-2005
    All-Star Movies March 2007
    Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa June 2007
    All-Star Movies 11/07

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old or New?

Hmmm. I was at EPCOT a few times before 96, but to be honest, I don't remember some of it. I did like the Kitchen Caberet better than the lion king thing, but I like Soarin'. I liked the old Imagination, but the updates to Figment and neat. I LOVE the new Nemo stuff in the Living Seas.

Is it just me, or are the only things still in opertation on the other side TT and Mission: Space? Nothing is ever open when I go... not even Ellen and the Dinasours.

I would take EPCOT which ever way... It is my favorite park.
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

The only change I liked was the addition of Soarin. I liked that the whole family could ride on all the attractions together. Now there are too many rides with restrictions.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I like them both the same.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Zzzzzzzzzzzz...oh, sorry. I must have fallen asleep thinking about Old Epcot. New Epcot is so much better. Better rides, better WS attractions and shows, more Disney character interaction, and I even like the 8 years with the Wand on SSE.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

My tastes have changed over the years along with the park. When I was younger, I much preferred Future World. I've always been something of a science geek, and with it's displays and educational experiences, FW was absolutely phenomenal for me, whereas World Showcase was commonplace and boring. As I have matured, however, FW has become very dated while WS has opened whole new worlds to me. While I enjoy some of the rides in FW, we normally just ignore the displays, I don't really need to see all of the newest upcoming technological breakthroughs of 1990. I most look forward to visiting all of the different countries for their varied cultural, shopping, and (most importantly) dining experiences.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I was 11 when Epcot opened and I only visited it twice before I turned 12 and then I didn't get back there until I was almost 30! SO I don't remember the old Epcot at all, but I really enjoy what Epcot is today.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

With the exception of Soarin' and Test Track, I like the Old Epcot better. Some of my all time favs are the "old" Figment ride, Horizons and Kitchen Kabernet.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: