Quantcast Disney's Hollywood Studios - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I'm sure we'll all get the new name correct in about the same amount of time as we stopped calling POR "Dixie Landings"!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's still Disney-MGM to me! The Seas with Nemo and Friends will always be called The Living Seas to me as well! Please Disney don't call something that is two years old NEW. The Block Party Bash has been running at the California Adventure park since 2005. Also the studios part of the park left a long time ago.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

They should have just called it "Walt Disney Studios Park" like in Paris. Other than the name change, no real big news other than the Pixar Block Party Bash announcement. I saw it recently at DCA, and its very energetic and colorful, but mostly cheezy and lame.. It seems like they are recycling this parade by sending it to Florida as they make a better new Pixar parade for DCA.

I really miss the studios of the 90s..back in the good days, when it was an actual animation/television/movie studio, and you could really experience that. Now its just a muddled group of aging shows and attractions. This park really needs a lot more work than a hand-me-down PIXAR parade from DCA and a clone of a Midway themed ride from DCA.
    Chris
    "WDWizard"

Last Trip: Disney's Hollywood Studios/Blizzard Beach June 2008

Next Trip: Not anytime soon. Been there, seen it all, have too many t-shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWizard View Post
    I really miss the studios of the 90s..back in the good days, when it was an actual animation/television/movie studio, and you could really experience that. Now its just a muddled group of aging shows and attractions. This park really needs a lot more work than a hand-me-down PIXAR parade from DCA and a clone of a Midway themed ride from DCA.
    I completely understand what you're saying, and I feel the same way. I also feel that way about Epcot.

But there are signs that Disney is changing things up a bit. They drifted away from being original during the late 90s and early 2000's, because (I'm assuming), they were worried about the tourist economy, so they went with what worked.

Now, it does seem as though at least the rhetoric has changed. We're starting to see Disney Theme Parks worry more about "Disney" and "Theme", and less about "Park", and that's the way it should be.

I'm excited about the change. It helps the Streetmosphere characters make more sense, as well as the overall feel of things.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just Disney Studios??? why do we have to link it to Hollywood?
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I realize some of you may not like the new name as well as the old or as well as some of the other options like ABC or Pixar. But I am surprised that no one has mentioned the obvious reason why this is a good choice. Give up? The answer is....

LITIGATION!!! Yep, that's right, after spending so many years and so many dollars arguing in court over the rights to the MGM name why would Disney want to go through that again? Yes, I know that they own both ABC and Pixar but how do we know that those relationships will never change? Of course, we don't know that they will always be part of the same company so it makes good sense to me to avoid using them.

Of course, the more generic name of Hollywood also allows Disney to put just about anything movie, television, radio, or even the theater to some degree into the park and it will fit.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way Ian, I forgot to ask if that foot tastes good or not? Just teasing of course. As many times as we have all heard rumours about this and other Disney issues it is normally best to take a skeptical view of anything until we see an "official" announcement.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for not remembering everything I wanted to put in my first post! I guess I am just showing my age with my dwindling memory power!!

Anyway, I am always disappointed by the attitude that some people display that a park is not worth doing unless it has nothing but E rides. There are very many of us out there who have a much broader interest than just thrill or E rides. Personally I find the studios to be a full day park because I like to mix up E rides with smaller attractions.

While I am never opposed to the addition of more E rides I think it is important for Disney to continue to appeal to a broad range of patrons by offering much more than E rides. It is this broad appeal that makes Disney a true "family" oriented place to visit.

Post Thanks / Like

E rides?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't care what they call it (it is my least favorite park) but I hope we don't start calling it DHS around here -- it sounds like we're planning a day of fun at the Department of Homeland Security!

That being said, that gives me some interesting ideas for new rides...... and new security procedures for entering the park!
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll probably call it "Disney Studios", it rolls off the tongue better than Disney's Hollywood Studios, which is an uninspired name.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee View Post
    E rides?
    Different rides used to take different 'tickets.' You would purchase a ticket book and pay a ticket to ride. The "E-ticket" rides were (and are) always the biggest draws. I believe the mountains (SM, SpM, BTMRR) were all "E-Ticket" rides, whereas Dumbo would probably be an "A-Ticket" or "B-Ticket" ride.

The tickets were done away with years ago, but 'old timers' still refer to rides by their "Ticket" status.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooohhh.....thanks.

I thought someone said that the E-rides were coming back and I was like "Hey...how do I get tickets for that".

.....it's been a long day.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

For all of you who are not too thrilled with the announcements of Toy Story Mania and the other new attractions coming next year, along with the name change, all I can tell you is sit tight.... Some new, big, and awesome will be coming to Hollywood Studios soon.... Very soon....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Sorry for not remembering everything I wanted to put in my first post! I guess I am just showing my age with my dwindling memory power!!

Anyway, I am always disappointed by the attitude that some people display that a park is not worth doing unless it has nothing but E rides. There are very many of us out there who have a much broader interest than just thrill or E rides. Personally I find the studios to be a full day park because I like to mix up E rides with smaller attractions.

While I am never opposed to the addition of more E rides I think it is important for Disney to continue to appeal to a broad range of patrons by offering much more than E rides. It is this broad appeal that makes Disney a true "family" oriented place to visit.

I couldn't agree more. We love all aspects of Disney. No matter what park, show, or parade it is all magic. It is the one place on earth you can experience that kind of atmosphere. If you just want E rides go to Busch Gardens.
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

I hope with the new name, and new attractions, that they also theme out the park a little more. I was thinking about this because I had forgotten that when the Studios opened that every show and ride were in a "Sound Stage" until I rode Star Tours this year (which still has the stage/filming in progress-type signs as you enter). That concept has been largely abandoned, so I was hoping for a new approach.

For instance, an area around RNRC dealing with the music industry. Or other attractions for the littler kids around Playhouse Disney. Or (oh please, oh please!) a Twilight Zone Land! I guess that the street where the new Toy Story ride is going will be "Pixar Place," which I think will be cool. I also hope for something to do with The Nightmare Before Christmas. I wore a shirt with Jack Skellington on it and received a few dozen kudos from numerous cast members, who agreed that they'd love to see a NmB4Xmas ride/show. And the Studios would be perfect for it!

I just think that the other parks' "lands" are more cohesive than that of the Studios and I'd like to see the same sort of thing there.
    That's not funny! And I know funny! I'm a clown fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.....The Nightmare Before Christmas was a popular movie. That would have been nice.

Or maybe a CARS ride or something....where we would have to run a race (simulated) like in the movie.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post

I don't disagree. I mean one of my all time favorite rides was If You Had Wings, which was considered so lowly it didn't even require a ticket.

But I DO care when they try and pass things off as "new attractions" that clearly aren't new "attractions". I do not consider adding a new parade or adding new characters to the Playhouse Disney show or a new Handy Manny Meet-n-Greet or an updated High School Musical show "new attractions."

To me a new attraction is A. a genuine ride or movie or show and B. actually ... GASP ... new!

There is only one real new attraction on that list and it's Midway Mania. The rest are not attractions, which is why I'm disappointed in the list. If there were actually any other real new attractions on the list I would have been thrilled, E-Ticket or otherwise.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Trying to steal the blueprints for the JII rehab!
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

There is only one real new attraction on that list and it's Midway Mania. The rest are not attractions, which is why I'm disappointed in the list. If there were actually any other real new attractions on the list I would have been thrilled, E-Ticket or otherwise.
    Don't worry there'll soon be a Pixar E-ticket ride soon announced (it'll be the same coaster/dark ride in DLP but themed to a diffrent Pixar movie), and a proposed "Car's" mini land (that'll replace the Backlot Tour and use the land there) in the near future. On top of that there's also the Startours 2.0 refurb, and the new Lucas film E-ticket (I know it's somthing to do with IJ4). So there's a bright future for DHS the list of the so called "new" attractions are just the icing of the cake!
    "From the sparks, a fire will be woken. A light from the darkness shall spring. Renewed shall be ride that was broken. The Dreamfinder again shall be king!"

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, for millions upon millions of people around the world, two words have immediate recognition... "DISNEY" and "HOLLYWOOD."

I am all for the name change. I have always resented "MGM" being in the title - thought it was unnecessary from the get-go.

Disney thought it needed some "punch" and "clout" and "glitz and glamour" when it first opened the park, so it liscensed the name "MGM." Yes, in the agreement, they got the rights to use some images from some MGM classics. I don't think those will go away. But I resented the fact that many people thought Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer had SOMETHING to do with the parks, when indeed, they did NOT.

Conversley, there are TONS of people who have NO IDEA what "MGM" stood for. They just said "MGM" in an indiscriminate way, as if it were a name in-and-of itself. You could take a poll of hundreds of people every single day AT the park, and hundreds would NEVER be able to tell you what "MGM" stood for. Hundreds.

In other words, "MGM" meant NOTHING to thousands upon thousands of people.

I have unending respect for the MGM name - for the movies they turned out in the Golden Age of Hollywood, and in subsequent years. The list is staggering. But, again, MGM has NOTHING WHATEVER to do with Disney. It was simply an agreement on paper, and one that was disputed in court for ;years and years.

I say, GOOD RIDDANCE. I am DELIGHTED the name is dropped. I NEVER called the place "MGM." Never. Disney cast memebers are constantly reminded to NEVER refer to it as "MGM." Even on the bus marquee, it says "STUDIOS." As a matter of fact, Cast Members are told not to call it "The Studios." Why? Don't forget, Disney is not the only company to have a studios-themed park in Orlando. Even if you say "Studios" (like we do in my family) it does not necessarily refer to the Disney Studios.

Personally, I think "DIsney Studios" is enough. If they want to throw the word Hollywood in there for the romance and adventure it conjures in the minds of the masses, that's fine with me. I am SO GLAD the "MGM" is gone. So glad.

Remember, for millions of people around the world, two words have immediate recognition... "DISNEY" and "HOLLYWOOD."
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: