Quantcast Tipping the concierge

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tipping the concierge

I've used concierge services in the past, but only for reserving an advance dining reservation or two. I have a trip coming up (to the Swan) next week to celebrate my best friend's 40th birthday. I've been e-mailing/working with one of the concierge employees at the Swan to prepare for the celebration. He's going to purchase decorations, decorate the room, and purchase and wrap a gift from the gift store that's there in the hotel as well. He's been e-mailing with me off an on for a month answering questions about potential birthday cakes, preferred room requests, etc. I don't have a clue on what I should be thinking about tipping him when I arrive at the Swan - I've never had concierge do anything like this for me before.....I need some advice from concierge veterans - help!
    Disney Trips:
    (daytrip) May 1990; (WL) March 2000 - When I fell in love with the "magic"!!; (GF) December 2000; (CS) March 2001; (AKL) September 2001; (Poly) December 2001; (AKL) September 2002; (Poly/GF) December 2002; (BC) October 2003; (Poly) December 2003

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tltcats View Post
    I've used concierge services in the past, but only for reserving an advance dining reservation or two. I have a trip coming up (to the Swan) next week to celebrate my best friend's 40th birthday. I've been e-mailing/working with one of the concierge employees at the Swan to prepare for the celebration. He's going to purchase decorations, decorate the room, and purchase and wrap a gift from the gift store that's there in the hotel as well. He's been e-mailing with me off an on for a month answering questions about potential birthday cakes, preferred room requests, etc. I don't have a clue on what I should be thinking about tipping him when I arrive at the Swan - I've never had concierge do anything like this for me before.....I need some advice from concierge veterans - help!
    I have never used concierge (outside of Disney) for such detailed planning. I typically tip $5 for small things like recommending and making a reservation at a restaurant for me.

I certainly would want to reward someone who did so much for me. Personally, I would tip at least $20, probably more if the person was very friendly, made good suggestions and obviously has gone above and beyond the norm.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

lockedoutlogic Guest

concierge should not accept tips...they are an hourly position...not wage/tip payscale...such as waiters, bellman, and valets.

It is the difference between paying someone about 6 and hour starting without tips...as compared to 2.50-3.00 an hour with tips....for the record.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    concierge should not accept tips...they are an hourly position...not wage/tip payscale...such as waiters, bellman, and valets.

It is the difference between paying someone about 6 and hour starting without tips...as compared to 2.50-3.00 an hour with tips....for the record.
    I humbly disagree.

When a concierge goes above and beyond basic items, I think they should be compensated for it.

Yes, just making a dining reservation for you could be considered normal duties and tipping is optional.

Well... tipping is always optional. Even to waiters, bellman, and valets. You might be suprised at how many people don't tip.

But when they are going in and decorating your room, shopping for you and wrapping presents. Personally, I consider that to warrant a tip.

I worked in the service industry when I was younger and understand what it is to deal with people who have an attitude of entitlement that treat you like you are a servant.

(Please don't take this as how I think you are. But trust me I have had plenty of experience to know how MANY people are like that ).

I ALWAYS put forth the extra effort and never expected anything in return as that was my job. But to refuse a tip... If offered, they certainly have every right to accept it.

Making a couple dollars an hour more base hourly hardly means they couldn't use or don't deserve a few extra dollars.

If someone puts forward "extra" effort, I feel they deserve a gratuity.

"The world moves much smoother when it is well greased"
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

This reminds me of what a TIPS were and an episode of Third Rock from the Sun. TIPS used to be paid in advance to the person serving you. This way they would be more courteous and prompt to your needs. Since that has changed, it is based on how well they perform for you directly. There is no set amount any more. If any of you saw the episode, John Lithgow sat at a restaurant and put a set amount of money down as the tip. As the waiter did something "unacceptable", he took money away. If it was better, he added money.

What you need to consider for this case is the time and effort he is putting in to do this for you. If it were me, I would estimate how many hours he put in and give him about $5-$10 per hour as a tip.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mook3y View Post
    I humbly disagree.

When a concierge goes above and beyond basic items, I think they should be compensated for it.

Yes, just making a dining reservation for you could be considered normal duties and tipping is optional.

Well... tipping is always optional. Even to waiters, bellman, and valets. You might be suprised at how many people don't tip.

But when they are going in and decorating your room, shopping for you and wrapping presents. Personally, I consider that to warrant a tip.

I worked in the service industry when I was younger and understand what it is to deal with people who have an attitude of entitlement that treat you like you are a servant.

(Please don't take this as how I think you are. But trust me I have had plenty of experience to know how MANY people are like that ).

I ALWAYS put forth the extra effort and never expected anything in return as that was my job. But to refuse a tip... If offered, they certainly have every right to accept it.

Making a couple dollars an hour more base hourly hardly means they couldn't use or don't deserve a few extra dollars.

If someone puts forward "extra" effort, I feel they deserve a gratuity.

"The world moves much smoother when it is well greased"
    I think what lockedoutlogic meant was they are not allowed/supposed to take tips. I agree you can offer, but I don't think they can accept...regardless. If I'm correct, and that is the case, I would then recommend writing a letter to Disney for this particular CM exemplary service. I would also inform the hotel directly of the great service you experienced at the hands of this employee.
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Jen, you are correct. The official policy at Disney is that their concierge staff cannot accept cash tips. If the guest is insistent, the CM can take it, but it must be turned into management. The best thing anyone can do, is recognize this employee with their superiors. A bonus, promotion or pay raise will go much further in the long run.

In terms of the Swan however, they are not an official Disney resort. They also don't have a concierge level any longer, so I imagine the person helping is part of a general concierge team. While they may be the main contact, it could be a team of staff that are coordinating this special celebration. Not sure how you could find that out before acknowledging just one person.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I may be mistaken, but they aren't doing this out of their own generosity, I'm sure there's going to be a bill associated with it. I would also guess that bill is going to on the high side as well. Personal shopper? Gift Wrapping?

I my opinion, the bill is going to be sufficiently high that I wouldn't feel bad about not being able to tip.

Now, if they are actually doing this out of the goodness of their heart, then at least a thank you note, maybe a small gift from home. Usually they are able to take small gifts, less than maybe $25 or so.

Post Thanks / Like

I did an internet search, and the concensus was that in general, tipping the concierge only applies when the concierge does something extraordinary, but isn't necessary for expected services like recommending a restaurant. I'm sure it never hurts, but not necessary. In the case of special services, the recommended tip range was from $5 to $20. CNN travel suggests that people usually don't tip or grossly overtip the hotel concierge.

In the case of Disney concierge staff, I would trust Tammi's information that they aren't allowed to accept tips. I would try to tip at the Swan considering the special service and that it's not technically a Disney hotel.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

1) Disney resorts are different.
    2) Disney Resort Concierge
    . . . are unionized (even if they don't belong)
    . . . the contract says it is a non-tipped position
    . . . the concierge must turn over any tips to a manager
    . . . if they pocket a tip, it is a termination offense
    3) In lieu of a tip, a gift up to $75 in value is allowed.

NOTE: As mentioned above, the Swan is NOT a Disney hotel. You should call them direct and check with a manager. After all, you would not want the concierge helping you to get fired.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Having had concierge do simular tasks for my family on our last Disney trip I would suggest the following. Bring something that is native to your area of the country as a gift for their service and then write a letter to the managment for the extra ordianary service you recieved.

We brought our person some Jams and Mackinaw Island fudge.

Just and idea.
    "May Walt Disney World Bring Joy and Inspiration. A magical place were people of all ages can laugh, and play, and learn together."
    6/95, 6/99 Poly, 6/01 YC/Poly
    10/02 Poly/YC, 6/03 YC/GF, 4/04 YC
    9/04 YC, 4/05 Poly/YC, 4/06 YC
    4/07 BC, 8/07 Poly, 10/07 YC
    4/08 YC, 8/08 P/YC
    Next 10/09/Poly

Post Thanks / Like

If it is Disney's policy for them not to accept tips I say tip BIG. Shame on Disney!! This person deserves it! Service positions are just that service. Just like waiters, they hustle to make the guest the most comfortable knowing they will be rewarded. Even if hourly, how much can these people really make? $10- $15 an hour? I am sure these people work hard and there are alot of people that take them for granted and do not even cosider a tip and are snotty on top of it (I have personally witnessed it, not at Disney though). Apparently this person has gone above and beyond. Shopping and decorating I cannot imagine are in there job description. If it were me at least a $75-$100 tip would be an order.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely check with a manager about the tipping policy as well as what this particular person is doing for you that you will be charged for. Follow the manager's lead and if tipping is allowed, for the service alone I definitely think a tip in the order of $50-$75 is in order (or a combination of a small gift + cash). In addition, a letter of appreciation is always a welcome gesture.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

lockedoutlogic Guest

I think the bases have been covered...especially by the Scrapper....

You CAN NOT accept a tip as a disney "concierge"....

which is another reason why disney "concierge" is a mirage.

The individual is not allowed to accept a tip unless they are a tipped position by labor grade.

You may offer them..but they must refuse...and if they insist...then the employee is required to turn it in to the managers....where the money would supposedly go to the Disney Charities.....

People have been fired for accepting tips...I saw it once personally.

Just another reason why disney concierge is a myth...but that has been covered many times before

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know for a fact that Starwood Concierge used to be able to accept tips and since the S & D are managed by Starwood, I would safely assume they CAN accept tips. I know of instances where the convention service/catering managers have received BIG tips when Saudi princes have stayed at that hotel. So I would say tip whatever you feel the work warrants and whatever you can afford. They may very well be doing some of this on their own time.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Default Consierge Tips

We have tried to tip consierge, and believe me they went above and beyond on a couple of occasions, and all tips have been politely refused.
    '77- Offsite - '98,'99, '00, '01 - Dixie Landings; '01 - CS, Poly Cons, POR; '02 - WLV & WL; '03, '04, '05 - POR / Poly Cons.; 11-'05 AKL & Poly Cons.; '06 BCV & Poly Cons.; '07 POR & Poly Cons.; '08 SSV; '10 BWV & AKV; '12 BWV & AKV; '14 BWV & AKV; '15 BCV, BLV, BWV

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: