Quantcast Has anyone else read this?/DDP Changes [Merged Threads] - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would hope that they would restructure the dining plan with an 'a la carte' style - allow the purchaser to design their own plan.

Say I want 2 CS meals a day and no TS, or maybe 2 snacks per day - make it so that I could customize my plan.

With the current cost of the plan being around $40 per adult per day, break it up into component parts: $25 for TS, $12.50 for CS, $2.50 for snack. Then maybe allow 4 snacks = 1 CS or 2 CS = 1 TS.

Of course, this would cause major confusion at the registers as well, but since the plan isn't perfect to start with...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droopy d. View Post
    If they are not going to include tipping on the DDP anymore the plan with inflation should be about 13% less than last year. If it's not then your paying a lot more than last year.
    But think about it this way gas prices and everything else has went up, even in our local markets prices have rose due to gas. I'm sure the same effect has happend at disney.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Whether the plan is worth it or not depends on the restaurants being offered. The amount of tip included is less important. With the number of restaurants at DTD being reduced this year it was a close call for us. More reductions in the restaurant list and I don't know. I'll wait to see this all official before I worry about it.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

If the wait staff is not getting the 18%, who is? I have had at least two waitresses tell me not to worry about leaving extra, because the tip was already included in the DDP. I am most confused by this. Would it not be illegal to take my money, tell me it was a tip and then not give it to the waitress? Can anyone clarify this situation?
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Will the cost of the dining plan decrease then?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

still worth it, but I think the servers won't be happy with the results....
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrmGrninGost View Post
    If the wait staff is not getting the 18%, who is? I have had at least two waitresses tell me not to worry about leaving extra, because the tip was already included in the DDP. I am most confused by this. Would it not be illegal to take my money, tell me it was a tip and then not give it to the waitress? Can anyone clarify this situation?
    As Jym explained it in the post I linked above, many of the restaurants at Disney, but not owned by Disney, did not give the 18% tip money they would receive as part of a patron using the Dining Plan, but rather give the waitstaff a portion or a flat fee. I think they could do this, and this is only an educated guess based on my taking of a couple labor management relations classes in college, because the dining plan came after the last labor agreement, before the one which was just passed, did not have any mention on how Dinig Plan tips were to be handled. Thus restaurants could handle it as they saw fit and some decided to keep a portion of the money which they were given for the tips to increase their profits. Now many restaurants were giving their waitstaff the full 18%, so it is quite possible that the waitresses with whom you spoke were from those restaurants.

If this rumor does become true, I think it is possible that many of the non-Disney owned restaurants which currently accept the plan will drop out in 2008 as they will lose the extra money they were getting out of the Dining Plan.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee View Post
    Will the cost of the dining plan decrease then?
    There was no mention of this.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

........If they don't lower the price, ....well, more money for disney.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

This is destined to be one of those can't win no matter what you do decissions.

I've read countless complaints about the included tips in the Dining Plan including
    complaints accusing the included tips for a decline in service.

So, now they're talking about not including tips with the Dining Plan, and letting servers collect tips directly from the patrons...... and guess what, MORE COMPLAINTS.

Nope, they will never win with this one, hopefully the servers will.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

I think the servers will get less in the end by not having tips included. Many people will be confused that tips are no longer included and forget to bring extra cash for it, also I think that less than stellar service will incur more tip wrath from the customers and in many cases they will get less than 15%. I think they should leave it as is in tems of structure and just charge a few dollars more. It would still be a good deal. But if they charge higher and include no tips, then for me anyway DME may be the new way to go....
    DVC Member SSR
    SSR Apr 08
    AS Movies Apr 07

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the selling points for DDP is the tip is included. I can understand that servers want to receive their share. If the company is telling guests that there is an 18 percent gratuity included, then the servers should be getting that gratuity. If not, it should not be the responsibility of the guests having to pay more, but of the company keeping its word and giving the gratuity to the servers. If the dining plan stays the same price and gratuity is not included, the savings and appeal will drop dramatically.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIning Plan changes for 2008

I just saw in another disney web sites newsletter that beginning in 2008 gratuity will not be included in the dining plan. Also the dining plan will no longer include an appetizer for the table service meal. The table service meal will now only include an entree, dessert, and non-alcoholic beverage. The price per person will decrease by one dollar to 37.99 for adults and 9.99 for children. A new deluxe dining plan will be introduced for 69.99 for adults and 19.99 for children. This plan includes per person per day, three meals your choice of table or counter service (appetizer included in the dinner) two snacks, and a resort refillable mug.
    Of course i haven't seen this on Intercot yet so i can't say that it is true, as i don't belive anything until i see it posted on this site!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested in seeing if this is true. If so, I'm glad we went the last two years when the plan was "normal".
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I had read that, too. So, the "great deal" is no longer so great. It is, effectively, almost a 20% increase in the price. That is unheard of in most any venue. Heck, just raise the price and keep the tips included if you're going to mess with it. At least it would still be convenient having everything included.
    We sat around one day figuring which restaurants we would eat at on our trip this September and what we would probably order and the dining plan would have saved just a bit of money. I say this because on our own we wouldn't have ordered an appetizer and probably not dessert. Now the appetizer is gone and the tips are gone and suddenly it costs more than doing it on our own.
    I know, lots of folks on here will say they like the convenience of having it all there. Well, that is what Disney is counting on, folks thinking it is easier. But spending more money for less is not convenient to me. Just take the money you'd spend on the plan, sock it away till your trip and when you check in put the cash on your room. Right there you have your own, homemade dining plan, tip included.
    A 20% price increase for less reward is ridiculous. No way I would ever do that. Ever.
    We're almost complete...
    Disney Magic
    Polynesian
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach
    Port Orleans
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Wilderness Lodge
    Grand Floridian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Animal Kingdom
    Boardwalk
    AS Sports/Music/Movies
    Pop Century
    Disney Institute
    Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaylamag View Post
    I just saw in another disney web sites newsletter that beginning in 2008 gratuity will not be included in the dining plan. Also the dining plan will no longer include an appetizer for the table service meal. The table service meal will now only include an entree, dessert, and non-alcoholic beverage. The price per person will decrease by one dollar to 37.99 for adults and 9.99 for children. A new deluxe dining plan will be introduced for 69.99 for adults and 19.99 for children. This plan includes per person per day, three meals your choice of table or counter service (appetizer included in the dinner) two snacks, and a resort refillable mug.
    Of course i haven't seen this on Intercot yet so i can't say that it is true, as i don't belive anything until i see it posted on this site!
    I just read the same thing from Deb Wills.

Now I know she's not Intercot, but she's pretty darned good. Reading it from her, I take it that it's a done deal.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

1) Gratuity will be removed from ALL 2008 packages that include dining. Tax will be INCLUDED, but the gratuity will not be.

2) The Magic Your Way Plus Dining Plan will no longer include an appetizer in the daily table service meal. The table service option will only include: entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage. The price per day per person will decrease by $1, to $37.99 for ages 10 and older; $9.99 for ages 3-9.

3) A new Magic Your Way Plus DELUXE Dining Plan will debut in 2008. This plan will include, per person, per day: three meals, your choice of table service or counter service (appetizer included in the dinner); two snacks; and a resort refillable mug. Signature restaurants will still count as two table service meals. Price, including tax, but NOT gratuity, will be $69.99 for ages 10 and older and $19.99 for ages 3-9.

Other additional rumored changes may also be introduced. Again, this is UNofficial information. Look for Walt Disney World to officially announce the 2008 packages and dining options in August.

CBR - June 01
    Ft. Wilderness March 03
    POR March 05
    Ft. Wilderness - May 06
    Wilderness Lodge March 07
    Coronado Springs Jan 08

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevGuy View Post
    ... If this happens I'm thinking the DME will be the way to go instead...
    Quote Originally Posted by KevGuy View Post
    ... But if they charge higher and include no tips, then for me anyway DME may be the new way to go....
    What does Disney's Magical Express have to do with dining?

Also, this appears to coinside with the "tiered" dining approach that I've been hearing about. Different than I thought however. Appears the TS places will be VERY busy in 2008! Good thing I like the chicken fingers...

Post Thanks / Like

I got the same newsletter today, and this info made me pause. Theoretically (since it hasn't been announced here, it's still a rumor ) they are taking away the appetizer and the tip, and those two things are worth only $1?? I don't know...the reason I was so excited about the DDP was because it was such a great value. The "new" plan doesn't sound like such a great value. It would be cheaper for us to go back to our "old' way of just one or two TS (breakfasts and lunches are cheaper!), and grab counter service the rest of the time. Which means that Disney will be losing a lot of money from this family!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Taking away the included tip AND the appetizer definitely makes the DDP less appealing for me. Maybe I'm weird but I like appetizers. I hardly ever eat dessert, though. On the DDP we would often take a dessert back to the room with us to eat as a snack later in the day, so we still did get the value. But oh well. If this is true then I guess it's back to counter service and one or two TS for us which I'm sure will make some people happy
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: