Quantcast Line jumping vs. Holding a place

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Line jumping vs. Holding a place

Just curious. What does DLR consider line jumping to be? This topic came up in conversation recently. I thought it was perfectly acceptable to hold a place in line for someone while they go to the restroom or even go over to get food for the group in a long line. Am I wrong?

I can see that some people probably take advantage of place holding and allow others in their group to go do another ride with a shorter line while waiting in a long line. But, what if someone in your group really needs to go and can't hold it?
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Babe View Post
    But, what if someone in your group really needs to go and can't hold it?
    We wait for everyone in our group to go and get on line together.

I think line jumping/place holding creates awkward situations for the both the people coming back to the line and the people that were already waiting.

I can see doing it for an emergency situation regarding a infant/toddler/small child but not for adults to get food or something like that.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

I always see it this way. If it's one or two people coming back from the bathroom/getting drinks it's okay but once it's a whole group cutting in front of people thats just wrong and won't be tolerated.
    "I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams,we can play together all night." --Calvin and Hobbes--

Post Thanks / Like

I must confess. I am a place holder. My wife or I will get on a line while the other takes the kids to the bathroom. I was not aware this was frowned upon as I thought this was was common practice with kids.

Post Thanks / Like

NY Goofy - to me, what you do is perfectly acceptable. It's hard for little ones to stand in line anyway, and I would much rather they be happy, quiet and not needing a potty in the middle of the ride!
    "You're not Mickey Mouse, you're a rat!"
    "Rat, Schmat! Besides, they're tourists! What do they know?"

Post Thanks / Like

No matter where we are, Disney or the real world, I think that if it is just one or two people coming into the line, then that is fine. But, if you are in line and a group comes and joins someone ahead of you, then that is different because that adds considerably to your estimated wait time.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Here's myIf your entire party get's in line, and then a child annouces they need to go to the bathroom, it's okay for one adult to leave with that child. But, if an adult or child get's in line while the rest of your party (the amount of people in the party is not a concern, 1 or 8.) leave to take care of whatever kind of business, be it a drink or a bathroom break that is wrong.We go to the DLR often, and we have a friend that takes off ahead of us and always arrives in line a few people before us. We never jump the line and stand with her. She usually comes back to us. We believe that would be line jumping, cuts, whatever you want to call it and it's just plain rude.
    First Trip To DL 11/56
    DLR PAP (for a long time and currently)
    July 17, 2005 I was there!
    July 17, 2010 I was there!
    VMK - Tinkcollector R.I.P.
    Member #1660 on Intercot West
    Tinkcollector on Intercot-West (R.I.P., good bye West-Side.)
    D23 Charter Member

Post Thanks / Like

Because not everybody wants to do the same rides, sometimes we get seperated for certain attractions (especially with young kids). Often we will meet up at another attraction, where who ever gets there first is already in line. Usually this is just a couple of people coming into the line. Almost anytime I'm in the park, I will see this in whatever line I'm in. I'm never bothered by this because two or three people in front of me, has no measurable difference in my wait time. Of course a large group entering a line is a different story. As long as the people getting ahead of me are meeting someone who they know already in line, I don't have a problem. If someone is just cutting in, to beat the line, that's whan I have a problem.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with 2Epcot, if they are meeting family/friends, it is ok. We usually travel as a small pack anywhere from 7-12 people, all ages, and we have never had any problems when are group gets seperated and rejoins us later in line. When they reopened POTC, it was virtually impossible not to be seperated from your group if you had to get in line and park a stoller, the Pirate CM even helped me find my family in the line. If you are not rude, you generally are allowed these little liberties.
    "We get there when we get there!"
    Disneyland Too many times to count
    Saratoga Springs OCT '00, Dec. 2010, Dec. 2014, Dec. 2015
    A S Sports DEC '03
    POP May '06
    AKL Jan '08 Offsite Sheraton Vistana Jan '08
    Port Orleans Mar 2015, May 2015
    Coronado Springs Sept 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree also. We also let the people around us know, we got "X" amount of people coming. When we were in that 2 hour line for Nemo, you got to know the people around you. We'd hold places for them also when their kids wanted a churro or bathroom run. What I don't like was when there is a break point, there are always people that play dumb and seem to find the cut spot. Then we have a near riot. We notify the cast members but nothing ever seems to be done to the offenders.

I never did find out what started that big fight at the Mad Tea Party a while back, but hitting people in the face is a bit extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    I'm never bothered by this because two or three people in front of me, has no measurable difference in my wait time. Of course a large group entering a line is a different story. As long as the people getting ahead of me are meeting someone who they know already in line, I don't have a problem.
    Sure if only one person did this, no biggie. But if we're talking about this being "okay", then it's okay for everyone. Which means any number of people may choose to do this and add up to 20+ people to the line ahead of you on a busy day. Believe me, that will make a difference!

I think if the kids suddenly have to go potty, then leaving the line and coming back is fine. But purposefully putting someone in as a placeholder while you run to do potty or snack errands is wrong. Finish your errands THEN get in line.

Post Thanks / Like

Default my take on the subject

Hi all,
    I really don't have a problem with someone leaving line and coming back to their group. What I have a problem with is when someone(or many someones) join a group that was never in line to begin with. That makes me
    For me, potty or churro runs are perfectly acceptable.
    See y'all,
    Teamblackwell
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

Post Thanks / Like

Well, apparently Nemo is the exception to this rule.

I was in line for the subs last Friday night. About 10 people ahead of us was an older teenaged girl, waiting alone, it seemed.

Just as we approached the loading area, a HOARD of family members swarmed into the line. First it was one small child, her younger sister, I presumed. Mom, dad, another little girl, and a sleeping toddler were outside the line, trying to convince the other girl to go ahead and join the other two. She finally decided to get in line. I deduced that the girls were cousins...THEN, the second girl's parents showed up, tagging with them a set of grandparents, and 4 teenaged boys. I kid you not when I tell you that everyone EXCEPT the mother with the sleeping toddler jumped right into line. This infuriated me to no end, and this all happened with about 4 CM's standing right there, who did nothing. I can honestly say that this probably DID prolong my wait by a measurable amount.

I found that to be excessive. We let them know it too, with some not so nice comments uttered (not really) under our breath...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I typically don't let this bother me when I am at the parks.
    However, no amount of excuses changes the fact that holding a spot in line for someone who is not there, is rude.
    If you someone in your group needs to take care of some important business before they get in line, then the whole group waits for that person, outside of the line.

Holding a spot in line is rude. Sugarcoat it all you want, it is rude.

If you want to be rude....hold a spot in line for your buddies.

It's rude....but I don't let it bother me. I have better things on my mind.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

This last post has really struck a cord with me and not a good one! Don't call me rude if my 3 year old, who despite the fact that we take to the "potty" prior to getting in a long line has got to go while we are standing in a really long line, like Nemo. I mean, come one...have SOME compassion!!! We are going next week and we are going to do what ever we can to get in line so we don't have to wait more than an hour for Nemo, because I know my DD might not be able to wait an longer than that.
    Last edited by tinkwest; 07-27-2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: .
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's unreasonable to expect no one is going to have to use the facilities once in line. It's hardest on kids, but even adults have trouble sometimes with waiting for an hour and a half or two hours in line! We all should be drinking water when it's hot. That water has to go somewhere! (Besides sweating it away.) And the fact is that most people are a bit off their normal diets when visiting an amusement park and some are guzzing down sodas! It's only natural that some folks are going to need to get out of line for a while, get into another line in the rest room, and then return.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

MODERATOR ALERT:
    This is a topic that is bound to get individual opinions. Everyone is entitled to their opinion in this case. There is no right or wrong answer. Please do not take things too personally or point fingers of blame at others. Discuss on a friendly basis.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't stand line jumping for any reason. Don't care if you have to go to the restroom, get to the end of the line. Don't care if your 4 year old has to go to the restroom, get to the back of the line. It is called a line for a reason. If you can't hold it for 2 hours then do Fast Pass, THAT is the line reservation concept, it doesn't apply to the stand by line. If I see line jumping being done I alert the nearest Employee, complain and point the individual(s) out.

I would LOVE to know Disney's official policy on line jumping, considering that every other amusement clearly has their policy posted, usually with the consequence being removal from the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I was just about to chime in that I didn't know of anybody who would argue against needing to go or take a child once you are pretty far into a line (like a 45 minute-2 hour line), and just ducking out and coming right back. After all, most of the people in line behind that person would have gotten in knowing the length of the line. If it changes by ONE PERSON for 10 minutes that is no big deal. Then the post above came in and I was genuinely surprised.

It's those people who PLAN to come later, or duck out for most of the wait, that are the ones taking advantage. I just cannot see it as fair, in the other direction, for a family to wait for an hour when suddenly, unplanned, little Susan needs to go to the restroom, and you expect them to dive out of line and start all over? No no no....that would be cruel. (edited per TOS)

I think intentional taking advantage is one thing. A child or even adult's unexpected need should be sympathized with. We're human!!
    Last edited by NotaGeek; 07-28-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: going down a bad road

Post Thanks / Like

MODERATOR ALERT

As tinkwest mentioned, this topic is always heated. Posts are to be directed to the topic ONLY. Please, do NOT address posts by individual and single them out because they do not share your views. This family is allowed to have different views, it's what it's all about, and our Terms of Service do not allow mean spirited or argumentative posts. Line jumping is a gray area. No one has specific rules, and lots of people don't have kids and feel differently than those people with families in tow.

Respect please. Now back to the fun.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: