Quantcast Canadian Editorial on Current State of Epcot's O Canada! and its Forthcoming Update - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I would LOVE to hear Celine too. I will miss the music, but at least you tube has it.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I can understand the movie seeming dated to Canadians, but to my wife and I it was a nostalgic reminder of the sights we saw on our many trips to Canada during the 70s and 80s.

I guess it all depends on your perspective...
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the movie is pretty cheesey and dated, but in my view, thats all part of its charm. I'll be sorry to see it go because it always made me smile. I really hope they don't ditch the song entirely, thats my husband and I's favorite EPCOT song. You should hear us singing it on the drive down, then again, you probably shouldn't
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

Post Thanks / Like

Another web-site is now reporting that the refurb has been changed from 5 days (Aug 20-25), to 25+ (Aug 6-31). Has anybody else heard about this? What more are they planning to do? New carpet, painting, etc.?
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Going to be kinda sad to see the film go....not sure how many people know this, but the film was made by Greg MacGillivary and MacGillivary Freeman Films. These are the same IMAX Filmmakers that made Everest, The Living Sea, Dolphins, etc. So even though it is old, it holds a special place (I'm an IMAX Theater Director)

Oh, and I know the perfect Canadian host for the new version: Ed the Sock! Who could possibly make it more entertaining? OK, for a moment there it was a good idea, until I remembered this being at WDW....

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the movie and wish it wouldn't change. I wish the America one wouldn't have changed either, but I am yet to see the updates, as it happened right after our last trip. I think there's nothing wrong with their costumes, in the America pavillion they're dressed in Colonial garb even though nobody wears that these days. It's just to seperate the CMs from regular people and give some familiarity.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith View Post
    Oh, and I know the perfect Canadian host for the new version: Ed the Sock! Who could possibly make it more entertaining? OK, for a moment there it was a good idea, until I remembered this being at WDW....
    LOL yeah somehow I don't think he fits the Disney image.
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Another Canadian putting their two cents in here. A new film is long overdue but so too is a rethinking of the 'costumes' for the Canadian CMs. We are not a country of flannel wearing lumberjacks, period! That's an embarrasing stereotype and should be gone.
    I so AGREE!!! It is embarrassing. Both my DS and DH just love bugging me about the plaid flannel jackets. Maybe a new costume will come along with the new movie. The CMs told us that they are being portrayed in the early years of Canada, but still I am sure that many of the tourists probably think that we really dress like that.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flower View Post
    TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!

How about a /replica of the RCMP uniform? Obviously they cannot personate an officer, but they could still portray it.
    Even if the Disney Corporation got the copyrights to use the RCMP uniform (True!) in the U.S., I don't believe that WDW will be insensitive enough to dress CMs in mounties. This is a plan to lose the licence.

This being said, this Canuck can't wait to see the new film. I boycott the old one; it was borderline shameful.
    "But you've read it twice!" -The Bookseller

02-1987 Off-Site, 09-2005 Pop Century, 09-2006 Pop Century,
    09 2007 All-Star Sports

Next trip: 09-2006

Yes, I am a Browncoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bookseller View Post
    Even if the Disney Corporation got the copyrights to use the RCMP uniform (True!) in the U.S., I don't believe that WDW will be insensitive enough to dress CMs in mounties. This is a plan to lose the licence.

This being said, this Canuck can't wait to see the new film. I boycott the old one; it was borderline shameful.
    Got the copyrights? At one point Disney OWNED all licensing rights to our countries most recognized uniform! (1995-2000) I also said replica, not the actual uniform, a rendition would still be better served.

I would not see it as being 'insensitive', I would see it as better showing of a more recognized National symbol than a lumber jacket.
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Got the copyrights? At one point Disney OWNED all licensing rights to our countries most recognized uniform! (1995-2000) I also said replica, not the actual uniform, a rendition would still be better served.
    This was one smart move from the RCMP; why threatening legal action again and again when you can have a private company that can do it for you? I guess that the worst thing Disney made with that uniform was a movie called "Dudley Does Right",a remake of an old cartoon.

I would not see it as being 'insensitive', I would see it as better showing of a more recognized National symbol than a lumber jacket.
    Having seen the genuine article real close, I would feel robbed if I saw the Red Serge or even a modified version of it, on the back of a Non-RCMP officer. On the other side, hey, that's just me.
    "But you've read it twice!" -The Bookseller

02-1987 Off-Site, 09-2005 Pop Century, 09-2006 Pop Century,
    09 2007 All-Star Sports

Next trip: 09-2006

Yes, I am a Browncoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally , I never looked at the Canadian film as stereotypical , but merely a cultural experience. I know that Canadians aren't all lumberjacks and fishermen but , it's part of the country , just like cowboys and pioneers are part of American culture. I'm always surprised at how many people don't truly get the whole purpose of World Showcase. It isn't to show how modern and progressive Germany , Canada , Japan or the United States have become. It's to celebrate the great cultures of all the countries and how those cultures enabled us to get to where we are now.

I , for one , would be totally disappointed if I came to the Canada pavilion and they had displays of computer technology and the buildings were all modern skyscrapers, and the film was all about Canada in 2007. That's not to say that I'm not interested in Canada as it is now, I just enjoy the history.

Everyone should be proud of their heritage. As an American should I be ashamed of the colonial costumes that the CM's at The American Adventure wear , simply because no one wears those outfits anymore ? All the countries in WS are represented by CM's who wear clothing that people can associate with their historic cultures. Maybe the lumberjack outfit isn't the best repesentation of Canada's history , but it isn't a negative one either.

I think it's great that there is a new film for Canada , but I surely hope that all the great culture is not excised out of the production , and that we can still see the heritage and beauty of the country that complements the modern aspect.

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

Barenaked Ladies or Great Big Sea would be cool.

Now if only we could get our hands on a Scarborough Suitcase...
    Disney is life......the rest is just details!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mountie Uniforms

Universal uses the mounties uniform on their Dudley-Do-Right Ripsaw Falls ride if I remember correctly.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

So it's not going to include a 3D movie featuring Bob McKenzie in "Honey I Blew Up The Beer"?

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

If the rumors are true, I personally can't wait to hear/see Martin Short in the new movie. I think he will do a really good job. As for Eva Avila, I just hope that the song is not too "pop". I am a big fan of our original song in Oh Canada and wish that they had not gone away from it. When you hear it, and you are from Canada, you can just say "yep, that's what it's like being a Canadian."

I look forward to the new movie and hope that I will have more frequent visits to it than I did the last one. I did enjoy the old one but it's time for Oh Canada 2.0 to take over.
    Brett

"Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas"
    - Monorail

"Good news....we've made it WORSE!" TOT4

"But why's the rum gone?" - Captain Jack Sparrow

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be in bad taste to recommend the South Park gang to sing "Blame Canada"?

I don't mind the stereotypes, as Disney has applied them to all of the countries in EPCOT...it is part of the cultures. While they seem a bit corny, I think that is part of the charm.

Now, for my real pick for a new singer for O'Canada, I choose William Shatner.
    Disneyland - Off-site: 1968 (too young to remember!), 1986, Aug 1993, Jun 1995.

Disney World - Off-site: 1971 (yes, '71!), 1973, 1975, Dec 1998, May 2000, Apr 2002.
    Jul/Aug 2005 - Pop Century
    Oct 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 2008 - Coronado

Euro Disney 1992 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Next film that needs updating is France's. Though I hope they keep the classical music.
    "Well slotted pig, they are standard issue."

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I LOVED THE FILM! It was a glimpse of home when I was 3,800 KM too far away. I watched it and I cried!

I KNOW they are making a new film, and I will probably cry at this one, too!

Canada = #1

ANd you know the best part? Walt was 1/2 Canadian!!!
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    I so AGREE!!! It is embarrassing. Both my DS and DH just love bugging me about the plaid flannel jackets.
    Having been to Germany, you don't see too many Germans dressed like their uniform either. It's just for atmosphere, not to imply everyone dresses like that.

For that matter, when was the last time you saw Americans dressed like the singing group in the American Adventure?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: