Quantcast NEW THREAD STARTED, WITH SPOILERS. Harry Potter VII [Merged Threads] - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How many of you stood in line for the new Harry Potter book?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I stood in line for the book

34 60.71%
  • I will wait a few days and then buy the book

7 12.50%
  • I don't buy the books, I wait for the movies

3 5.36%
  • I couldn't care less about the books

11 19.64%
  • Who is Harry Potter?

1 1.79%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    Pshokie and conorsmom...thank you. Very much. You have somehow made me EVEN MORE EXCITED to read this book.

It will be interesting to see which guesses are accurate, and, more importantly, which ones are wrong, but still may have made the book better.
    Quote Originally Posted by conorsmom2000 View Post

It's been a pleasure - I love discussing the Harry Potter world! I hope everyone enjoys book 7 and if you are going to any midnight release party, have a blast!

And Schultzy, your comment about being right/wrong was exactly why I made that last post. I wanted to firmly go on record, and hang myself out to dry. I feel it is one thing to put in a quick "I think Ron and Hermione will end up together", but to pontificate the way I had throughout this thread....

Well let's just say, I felt I owed it to everyone to make my thoughts known, soley so the masses could say

pshokie, you idiot!

I am ready to eat my big steaming helping of humble pie!

BRING ON DEATHLY HALLOWS!!!!
    1970-1990 Disneyland - 4 Day Trips
    1980-2001 WDW - 6 Day Trips
    2007 Polynesian (First Resort Stay!)
    2008 Polynesian - planning

GO HOKIES!

All my thoughts and prayers...
    Rest in Peace fellow Hokies
    04-16-2007

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When it comes time to discuss the book, maybe the Water Cooler mods could put a Spoiler Warning in the title (if the old thread is used)? This way anyone who opens this thread knows they will be doing so at their own risk?
    This is what I was going to suggest, and I was just wondering if Intercot really needs to enforce the "10 day rule". A Potter forum closing down for a few days is understandable... people might go there to read about other books when they haven't gotten to the 7th yet... but I seem to recall (although I may be wrong) that with the other books, on Intercot it was just whoever finished first started a what did you think thread and it was always a read at your own risk sort of thing. If you haven't finished the book, then use some self control and don't venture into the thread. Same with movie/tv spoilers. The Intercot policy seems to be that once something is officially released it's fair game. However since most of you seem to want to wait the 10 days, I will oblige.

Happy reading everyone! I'll be impatiently waiting by the door for USPS. I think HBP arrived around noon. Wish I could've done a release party as I never have and this would be my last chance. Ah well.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

While I can see your point, I think Deathly Hallows falls into a category onto itself, and should be given a 10 day rule. Ignoring the HP books themselves for the moment, during my lifetime, there are only a handfull of "true spoilers" that people avoided like the plague.

I racked my brain on this one, all I came up with was (again, during my lifetime):

The Empire Strikes Back

The Crying Game ...eeerrr....

The Sixth Sense

Sorry, bout that, but I think the "time limit" is up on those

That's it. Those were the only big " don't say anything if they haven't seen it yet" cultural phenoms. Basically, iconic films. I won't even put things Like Se7en or Usual Suspects in the list because, while awesome - Se7en is one of my favorite films, they did not reach cultural phenom status. Cult phenom, yes, but cultural, no. And all of them are under 3 hours long.

Back to Deathly Hallows, this thing is huge. Bigger than any of those. And those who really want to be unspoiled, will finish it within a few days (maybe a day). Which would fit with what I am inferring is your original premiss - people will read it immediately, so why wait 10 days? Well, I, for one, will probably not finish it until mid-week next week. Why? Well, #1 work, #2 kids (4 & 1 - They will not be reading the books, and they will not be granting me the time to sit and read the books), and lastly #3 the current length of the audio novel by Jim Dale is coming in at a rough 24 hours or something like that. So if you read at a "speaking pace"...

Anyway, I would like to give people time. Becuase some, like myself, will need it.

Now, should I avoid threads until I finish? Absolutely yes. Can't agree with you more. It is all on me. But when I finish, I would not want to tempt anyone, and possibly ruin it for others. So I will abide by the 10 day rule.

Besides, you'll be busy once you finish. Afterwards, we all have to re-read the entire series from the beginning!

GO HOKIES!

04-16-2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pshokie View Post
    Besides, you'll be busy once you finish. Afterwards, we all have to re-read the entire series from the beginning!
    You know, I hadn't thought of that, but you are probably right. It will be fun to go back and pick up on all the little hints that Jo put in to lead to the climax of Deathly Hallows.

As to Professor McGonagall...(spoiler font added)
    Don't even go there! I read the article, and, while thought provoking, I cannot disagree more (probably because I love Minerva McGonagall as a character, and I can't stand to hear anything against her!).

But, we shall see...in just a few hours!
    Last edited by TooGoofy; 07-20-2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: adding spoiler font per request
    Meg
    DVC Owner at AKV and BCV
    Upcoming Trips
    6/11--AKV & BCV with Kim & Gary
    8/11--Alaska on the Disney Wonder
    6/12--AKV with Jess, BCV just the two of us
    6/14--AKV & BCV just the two of us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooGoofy View Post
    You know, I hadn't thought of that, but you are probably right. It will be fun to go back and pick up on all the little hints that Jo put in to lead to the climax of Deathly Hallows.
    If you have never done this before, it will blow your mind. I have done it since GOF. And each time, there is something new. All right there. I just could never see it.

Admit it, JKR is just brilliant.

GO HOKIES!

04-16-2007

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

If you have never done this before, it will blow your mind. I have done it since GOF. And each time, there is something new. All right there. I just could never see it.

Admit it, JKR is just brilliant.
    I have done it...and it is amazing. You will get no arguments from me about JK Rowling's brilliance! About other things though....
    well, we'll just agree to disagree!
    Meg
    DVC Owner at AKV and BCV
    Upcoming Trips
    6/11--AKV & BCV with Kim & Gary
    8/11--Alaska on the Disney Wonder
    6/12--AKV with Jess, BCV just the two of us
    6/14--AKV & BCV just the two of us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Happy reading everyone! I'll be impatiently waiting by the door for USPS. I think HBP arrived around noon. Wish I could've done a release party as I never have and this would be my last chance. Ah well.
    Why can't you? There is still time to go a release party. At least in my area, the local bookstores aren't taking reservations or anything like that. Call around and see what you can come up with. Because this is the last book is precisely why I am going to a release party. No more opportunities to do so.
    Next Trip: 2008 (hoping and praying)
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Well let's just say, I felt I owed it to everyone to make my thoughts known, soley so the masses could say

pshokie, you idiot!

I am ready to eat my big steaming helping of humble pie!

BRING ON DEATHLY HALLOWS!!!!
    PSHokie, I can't wait to laugh in your face!!!!!! Shall we start baking the pie now or would you prefer to wait?

Just kidding with you! You've come up with some pretty good stuff so I'm sure you will be right on the money with some things. I'm getting more anxious by the hour.
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ncscgirl2005 View Post
    PSHokie, I can't wait to laugh in your face!!!!!! Shall we start baking the pie now or would you prefer to wait?
    Do I get to choose the flavor?

GO HOKIES!

04-16-2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ncscgirl2005 View Post
    Why can't you? There is still time to go a release party. At least in my area, the local bookstores aren't taking reservations or anything like that. Call around and see what you can come up with. Because this is the last book is precisely why I am going to a release party. No more opportunities to do so.
    My boyfriend is pretty much bedridden because of a back injury and so I'll be spending the night at his house keeping him company/helping him out. As fun as it would be to go to a release party I'd rather be there for him at this time. I'll come back home tomorrow to pick up my book. I was originally supposed to go to Maine with friends for some big weekend event or something but I'm in the middle of a job hunt so I couldn't commit in case an interview popped up. I'll have my own little party at bf's house, re-reading chapters I think are important, watching TV coverage of parties etc.

And pshokie I definitely agree this is probably the biggest "secret" event to happen in my lifetime.

And I'm going on record as saying I think McGonagall is clean. I read that editorial too and I think there are flaws in the theory. But who knows.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

And I'm going on record as saying I think McGonagall is clean. I read that editorial too and I think there are flaws in the theory. But who knows.
    I agree! I would be totally shocked if that editoral turned out to be true!

Honestly, we'll probably all have a little egg on our face! This is JKR after all! She loves to let us guess, then totally turn things around on us - as well as make what we think is important, turn out to be nothing, and what we think is nothing, turn out to be HUGE! That's why we love these books!

Honestly, more than the story, more than the ending, I want answers to the questions - for every time she was asked a question where her answer was "oooh, good question! There's your answer!" I want to know the answer! Harry's eyes, the cloak, the mirror, the gleam of triumph, etc....so many little things I hope to discover - in just 10 hours!!!

Maryanne, I hope your boyfriend finds some relief soon with his back - both my husband and I suffer with back pain and it is no fun!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, we'll probably all have a little egg on our face! This is JKR after all! She loves to let us guess, then totally turn things around on us - as well as make what we think is important, turn out to be nothing, and what we think is nothing, turn out to be HUGE! That's why we love these books!

Honestly, more than the story, more than the ending, I want answers to the questions - for every time she was asked a question where her answer was "oooh, good question! There's your answer!" I want to know the answer! Harry's eyes, the cloak, the mirror, the gleam of triumph, etc....so many little things I hope to discover - in just 10 hours!!!

Maryanne, I hope your boyfriend finds some relief soon with his back - both my husband and I suffer with back pain and it is no fun!
    Egg on our faces? NEVER!

Mine will be made to order omlette, with cheese and ham and....oh nevermind.

This will be very cryptic, but per the answers you want did you ever look at the cover of Deathly Hallows, as I mentioned earlier? I am curious if you, like me, were subject to the "power of suggestion".

GO HOKIES!

04-16-2007

Post Thanks / Like

This will be very cryptic, but per the answers you want did you ever look at the cover of Deathly Hallows, as I mentioned earlier? I am curious if you, like me, were subject to the "power of suggestion".
    US edition - sort of, UK edition, something stands out....
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Do I get to choose the flavor?

Absolutely!!!!!!
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

My boyfriend is pretty much bedridden because of a back injury and so I'll be spending the night at his house keeping him company/helping him out.
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you boyfriend gets to feeling better. Man, you are a dedicated girlfriend for sure!!!! My hubby will be lucky to even get a hello out of me this weekend!

We are having a pre-Harry release party before going to the bookstore complete with pizza and Harry Potter themed cupcakes. Actually we just wanted a reason to buy cupcakes so what better reason than this!
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daparish View Post
    I have a horrible memory and don't remeber half as much about the books as all of you so I decided last night to reread all the books. I know I will not be finished by Saturday. What are my chances of finishing the books without finding out the ending to the last book?
    I have totally given up on this idea. I know there is no way I will finish without finding out everything. The only chance I would have would be if I was on a deserted island and then I am sure a sky writer would still come along and ruin it for me.
    LORI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daparish View Post
    I have totally given up on this idea. I know there is no way I will finish without finding out everything. The only chance I would have would be if I was on a deserted island and then I am sure a sky writer would still come along and ruin it for me.
    LOL! That is too funny! Or perhaps a mermaid will wash up on the shore and spill the beans. One way or another you will find out.
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh that editorial does have me thinking now. If there ever was a spy, she would fit the bill. I guess we'll see soon enough.

AAAGGGHHH.....I can't stand this anymore.

This has been one of the longest weeks I've had in a long time. I actually have butterflies in my tummy.
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Guys - do you want me to go to a UK opening in 4 hours and tell you all?

Or would you, like me, prefer to wait till the proper morning and read it then?
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

my only hope is i can survive then next 6 hours without it being ruined by the internet or someone else.....i was quite skeptical about even opening this thread....but wanted to offer my idea up

For along time JK has said the last word of the book will be "scar." While she has admitted to changing this, she also said when she began the series she knew how it would end. My logic is if the last word is refering to harry how can he be dead.

Thanks for reading, i'll be back on when i've finished the book!!!!!!!
    DREAMS ARE MAKE-BELIVE UNTIL THEY ALL COME TRUE....

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is more treasure n books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main ... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life- Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: