Quantcast Disney in May

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Disney in May

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney in May

I was wondering if you could give me some insight about crowd levels in May.

We are planning our trip for May, 2009. I don't want to get stuck in terrible crowds.

Are there weeks that are better? Thanks so much for your tips!!
    Mindy

'79, '83, '85, '87, '89, '95, '98~Off Property
    2006~Polynesian
    2007~Just for the weekend!!
    2009~Wilderness Lodge
    2010~Hilton DTD
    Next up . . . Poly, 2011

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been there in the first week of May and the crowds were not bad at all. I don't remember waiting much at all for anything. I do remember a lot of afternoon rain showers though.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

We went in May two years in a row. Last year we went May 13th - 20th. We arrived the day before Mother's Day. It was crowded but not too crowded. This year we went a week later - the 19th - 25th. The crowds were much lighter, until the Friday before Memorial Day, when the crowds were heavy. The weather was great - in the 80's and not too humid. Just look out for the love bugs. They drove my kids to near hysteria!
    Amy

10/14 French Quarter
    5/12 Coronado Springs
    5/10 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/08All Star Sports
    5/07 All Star Sports
    5/06 Pop Century
    1/05 All Star Movies
    2/03 All Star Sports
    3 times before this millenium!!
    Next up: 9/16 Caribbean Beach!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

May is usually a great time to visit! It's one of my favorite times to be there! Crowds are generally low to moderate and the weather is usually great! I find the earlier part of the month is better for crowds. They do tend to pick up later in the month as many schools begin to let out for the summer.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We went the same week as Amy. The 19th - 25th. I agree with her, the crowds were not bad at all & the weather was great. Sunny & warm everyday & only had a very brief shower one evening. The love bugs were around, but it didn't bother us at all.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been twice in May and will probably make it our week to go every time we go. We went the last few days of April into the first week of May.

Only waited for character sigs and Soarin'
    Tigerlilly
    Mommy to Parker and Laurie
    First - July 1979
    Most Recent - POFQ, April 29th 2007

Post Thanks / Like

We were there about a month ago from today, and crowds didn't bother me. Just a few standing times on the busses but that's a given. Weather was great. But so much can change in 2 years. Have a great time.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

May is a great time to go. The weather is nice and the crowds manageable particularly early to mid-month.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

We were there May 5th to 12th. Crowds were light to moderate. It seemed to start light early in the week and picked up later in the week. Friday at MK was pretty full with lots of school groups.

The Love Bugs were pretty heavy at times but they were harmless.

Post Thanks / Like

We went May 20-26 this year. Crowds were manageable as was the weather. High 80's low 90's. Love bugs were bad! They don't bite or anything they are just bugs and I hate bugs!!
    We had a great time and minimal waits for most rides. We were able to fast pass the most popular ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We went in May last year, the first week. We didn't really feel it was crowded at all - we had very few waits, esp. with FP's. It was hot, mid 80's with one day in the low 90's, but somehow, we didn't really notice it too much. Must be that Disney magic...

Anyway - we liked it well enough that we're thinking of doing May again after our next trip... have fun planning!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

We always, with the exception of last July for our wedding, take our trip in May. I prefer the first two weeks. Schools haven't let out yet in the south so the crowds aren't bad. Later in the month, schools are letting out, and the crowds do get a little bigger. Have a great time and enjoy yourselves.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much everyone.

I think we will be considering the early part of the month. I'm glad to hear that it will be warm enough to do some swimming, though!

As for the love bugs . . . I hate bugs, but I'd do anything to go to Disney. Even putting up with a "few" bugs!

Is it may, 2009 yet?
    Mindy

'79, '83, '85, '87, '89, '95, '98~Off Property
    2006~Polynesian
    2007~Just for the weekend!!
    2009~Wilderness Lodge
    2010~Hilton DTD
    Next up . . . Poly, 2011

Post Thanks / Like

We were there May 25-31, 2006. We did not wait longer than 15 minutes for anything, including buses, boats, rides, dining (with ADR's). We thought the crowds were light. I figured that it would be more crowded on Memorial Day itself and it was not. We spent Memorial Day at Epcot and had a wonderful day.
    We loved that week so much that we plan to be back there May 23-June 4, 2008. Can't wait!!

My son's birthday is May 29th, so we go during that week to celebrate his birthday!!

I think that you will experience light crowds anytime you go in May. I would possibly avoid Mother's Day weekend.
    Jeanie
    Next Trips:
    March 2014 - Wilderness Lodge
    Past Trips:
    June 2012- POP Century
    May 2008- Wilderness Lodge
    October 2007- Pop Century
    May 2006- Wilderness Lodge
    August 1996- Off Site
    Several Trips to Disney Land & World as a kid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Jeanie View Post
    I think that you will experience light crowds anytime you go in May. I would possibly avoid Mother's Day weekend.
    I've been several times over Mother's Day weekend and found this to be a great time to be in the World! I wouldn't hesitate to be there over this weekend again - though I might avoid Magic Kingdom on Mothers' Day itself.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

we went two years in a row the week leading up to memorial day weekend and the crowds were light - as a matter of fact both times it was also the first weekend of star wars weekends which only seemed to make a difference in crowd volume at mgm
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    May is usually a great time to visit! It's one of my favorite times to be there! Crowds are generally low to moderate and the weather is usually great! I find the earlier part of the month is better for crowds. They do tend to pick up later in the month as many schools begin to let out for the summer.
    Yep. We LOVE early May. If we cant visit then, We go in Sept. May is GREAT!

Post Thanks / Like

We visit WDW every May (one or both of the last 2 weeks) when school gets out. Over the past 3 years, we've noticed a very steady increase in the crowds. I would say that the last two weeks of May are now as crowded as early October (when we go for fall break). May is a great time of year to visit, but I wouldn't go towards the end of the month expecting no crowds. Most schools across the south are out by mid to late May.
    Squeaky Mouse

Too Many Trips to List (PAP holders)

Upcoming:
    Spring Break -- POP
    May -- AKL ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: