Quantcast Reducing Walking and Waiting- Which Resort?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reducing Walking and Waiting- Which Resort?

I don't want to sound like I'm a crabbing because I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!! But... I am planning our next trip and I need some advice. First of all, any trip to Disney is great regardless of any waiting on their transportation (which is usually minimal) and regardless of the amount of walking at the resorts to get from Point A to Point B. That said, what resort is the best one to stay at to minimize walking between rooms and the resort restaurants/pools/etc? Also, I don't like to request specific rooms or buildings because they aren't guarenteed (with the exception of Preferred rooms) especially because we usually get in VERY late at night and the rooms/buildings are already taken. At check-in, they have affered to move us to a closer room the next day, but I would like to avoid having to change rooms. And... I think we will rent a car next time to minimize transportation waits. My goal here is to maximize our time in the parks and use our "walking energy" at the parks instead of our resort. Sorry for being picky and difficult (and lengthy) but any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for the smallest resort, then it is POFQ. It is small, there are only something like 1000 rooms. Any room is only a short walk away from anywhere on property.

I could walk from my room to the food court and back in a bit over 5 minutes. It is a resort well suited for those who don't want to walk anywhere after they get back from the parks!
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Brian. POFQ is definitely the most compact.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Well, your signature states that you are hoping to stay at Wilderness Lodge. I think that is a very good choice for what you want.

The resort is built more "up" than "out" and asside from the villas, most of the rooms are around the lobby. And, even the villas are only 2 minutes or so from the lobby.

All of the restaurants are just steps away from each other in the lobby, as well as all of the other services you may need.

The bus stop is right outside the door as you go down the hall from the gift shop.

The pool is maybe a minute from the lobby.

The boat ramp; however, is a bit of a walk to get to and back from.
    Never underestimate the power of High School Musical!

Pop Century - Dec/2004
    Pop Century - Nov/2005
    Coronado Springs - Dec/2005
    Pop Century - Nov/2007
    Dolphin - Nov-Dec/2007
    Pop Century - Dec 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest WL as well. It is more up than out like the other person suggested. transport though hasn't been the greatest in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the moderate resorts go, I agree with the others about POFQ. If you're looking for deluxe, the Contemporary is everything with just an elevator ride away, with the exception of self parking.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for a moderate, then POFQ is the smallest. Take note: the pool is small and the slide is short. It is great for younger children. If you are looking for a Deluxe, the WL is the best choice for what you want.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say the Contemporary... you get off monorail, take either the elevator or escalotor and then you are only 10 steps to the elevators to the tower rooms. POFQ I had a room request, got there early but did not get it. We were in building 3, close to food court but a bit of a walk to the bus stop(with 2 kids by myself)
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the posters who suggested WL, or Contemporary. If you go with CR though, make sure it's a room in the tower.
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

WL is a great choice. Some of the rooms have a nice trek down the corridors but if you can get one near the lobby or a first floor near a pool entrance/exit door, there is very little walking.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

lockedoutlogic Guest

Contemporary is the most compact by far.....WL would be second....Port Orleans (FQ).....AKL....Poly...and GF are slightly larger.

POP is surprisingly convenient...though you wouldn't think it....

Yacht, Beach and Boardwalk are located well...but they tend to seem to stretch out quite a bit.

Coronado, Dixie (PO:riverside), All-Star are very sprawled...as are saratoga and Old Key West

The worst....my old nemesis...Caribbean Beach Resort.....no question

Post Thanks / Like

POFQ very small resort. Hardly no walking but besides the boat to dtd everything is a bus ride. POFQ on has one bus stop and then the busses go to por which has a few stops. But because it goes to fq first you get on an empty bus.
    Moe
    1991 CBR, Honeymoon
    2004 POFQ
    2005 BC & Poly
    2006 Yacht Club
    2007 Yacht Club

2009 Boardwalk Inn
    2010 Boardwalk Inn
    2011 Boardwalk Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walking or bus

Any deluxe or Home Away from Home resorts are gonna be more convenient than any of the others.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

lockedoutlogic Guest

That would be incorrect....

If a person does not have a car or does not wish to drive to the resort center to get something to eat....then your statement is not correct.

Generally speaking...the moderates and all stars have the most sprawling layouts...port orleans being the exception.

But yacht and beach and boardwalk are built basically in a line...so it is possible that you have to walk a substantial distance to get to what your want.

Old Key West could be bad specifically if you are all the way out on the horn........saratoga has distant parts as well.

I have stayed or work...most both....at all WDW properties and know the distances pretty well....Contemporary and Wilderness lodge are the most compact as far as distance from transport and facilities...Contemp is the winner

Caribbean is the loser...and I do know every square inch of that property....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much to everyone for the information!

*when we stayed at POP we had VERY long walks!! (but I still loved the place)

*even at AKL (which is BEAUTIFUL!!!), the walk from my room to the MARA was far enough that it made my purchase of the refillable mug a waste (I'm really not that lazy!)

*POFQ is looking like the winner here (especially because I will kill for beignets) Does anyone know if they sell chicory coffee like Cafe Du Monde?

*Question... Boardwalk only has 378 rooms, but lockedoutlogic said that it's "basically in a line...so it is possible that you have to walk a substantial distance to get to what your want." But with so few rooms, doesn't that make it one of the smallest (equating then to shorter walks) than most other resorts?

*Last question... Jen C. said to get a room at the CR "in the tower", is that something I can reserve or only request?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can reserve a room in the tower. You can also choose Bay Lake or Magic Kingdom views. Tower rooms are more expensive than garden rooms, however VERY convenient. MK view is more expensive than Bay Lake view. We really enjoyed the Bay Lake view. We got to watch the Electric Water Pagaent at night from the balcony. It was very enjoyable!
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

In your response about Boardwalk, we stayed at this resort once, and it was the longest walk we've ever had! We stayed on the "end" and had an extremely long walk to the elevator. The stairs located near our room let us out into a quiet pool area, so it was still a long maze to get to the bus area. Also, you will have to walk to the boat dock (if you choose) or walk to Epcot, and that is the back entrance, so even more walking (we don't mind... we walk all day... its a beautiful walk early in the am). Think of this like the long corridors of AKL. Rooms seem to go on for MILES!

I agree that WL is great. Its the first one that popped into my head. If you stay on the north side, closest to MK, there is an elevator near Roaring Forks (the CS restaurant) and right near the door to the boat dock and pool. We used that elevator a lot, and it was hardly ever crowded. That will lessen the walk if you are on that side of the building. The main bank of elevators are on the south side of the building, so, really, you are covered.

I don't remember much from POFQ, but it is smaller, but shares buses w/ POR. You may save time and energy by not walking far, but you have to make those stops, so, plan ahead.

CR seems to be pretty good, but you will need a tower room to manage not walking far. Plus, to get to MK in the fastest time, you will walk there. Its not far, but, a good 10 min or so.

Its a catch 22 with most resorts. Plan ahead and don't base it all on the walking issue. Look at the whole picture, with the least amount of walking as a perk.

Happy planning!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at a POP map. you can see that there are quite a few rooms that are VERY close to the parking lot.

If you will have a car, this may be the shortest walk around.

Wilderness Lodge is indeed compact, but it is a very long walk from the parking lot. At WL it really is closer to take the bus or boat.
    My son is a Henry. I never had a Willie or a Sam.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: