Quantcast Day 8: MK, EPCOT and Magic

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Day 8: MK, EPCOT and Magic

That’s right boys and girls! It’s time for another installment of “Gary Can’t Be Brief to Save His Life!” Join us, won’t you, for:

Rambling!
    Run on Sentences!
    Redundancy!
    Repetition!
    Saying Things Over and Over!

Waking up Friday was difficult because we knew that we’d be loading up the car and heading home the next day. That last day is always a tough one. You know that it’s all going to be over soon and you don’t want to let it go. Still, there’s the dog at home and the cat, familiar food and Pepsi Max on the road (it hadn’t been released at home yet and I fell in love). It’s a Bittersweet Symphony, I guess.

Our plan was to repeat our favorite parks, MK and EPCOT. And, of course, I had some magic to find. I had been striking out everywhere. From what I understand, they used to sell it as confetti. However, it is no longer stocked. I suppose when they started judiciously tossing it out as magic it was elevated beyond the mere confetti status. My first few attempts in MK were unsuccessful.

We landed in MK and realized we had not had our obligatory photo in front of the castle. So, we posed, we smiled and did our little dance. Our first order of business was to check the times for Story Time with Belle. Gert had loved it so much and wanted to get there early, because she was pretty sure she knew where to sit in order to get selected. I was ready to do anything because I had recently purchased a pair of Disney Crocs to help mitigate the pain of a blister. I don’t think I’ve worn anything except tennis shoes since my mother forced me to wear Buster Browns with my Toughskins jeans.

We targeted the first show time and headed off to Fantasyland to ride, you guessed it, the Carousel. Mom and Matilda went to Mickey’s Philharmagic. Ultimately we rode the carousel five times that morning. We were able to get off and walk right back on.

But, it was the first ride that was remarkable. As I was going through my usual routine of, “Gee this ride is going round and round and up and down I think I’m going to be sick” that slays Gert every time, we noticed that there was a special guest riding a few rows behind us. None other than Mary Poppins. Yes! We’ll get to meet her.

We hopped off and I started patting around. No camera. No pen. No autograph book. Mom had all of them in Philarmagic. I’m telling you, there is no way we are ever going to get a record of meeting Mary Poppins. Gert, however, decided that even though Mary was high on her list of characters to meet, it was no big deal. So we rode again.

As we chatted about things on the ride she revealed something shocking to me. I thought, for sure, she was buying the magic. That everything was real and she was deep inside the fantasy. Then she looks at me and said, “I think the girl playing Ariel with fins was better than the girl with legs.” Touché, smart little girl, touché. I agreed with her, let her have her intellectual victory and suggested we shop a little.

After finding Mom, we got the camera back and headed for Belle while the other girls headed for the Pixar rides in Tomorrowland. We arrived at Belle early, sat in the exact seats Gert had targeted and noticed that we were sitting next to a Belle superfan. She was the four-year-old equivalent of the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons. She knew everything and even got up on stage to perform a Beauty and the Beast themed interpretive dance for us. We knew she was going to get picked, we just knew it.

Belle came out and Gert seized the camera to take some photos. She was sitting there with her Pop Princess boutique hair, a little rumpled from sleep, looking cute and pink. Then one of Belle’s friends tapped her and asked if she wanted to help out in the story.

Have you ever seen someone smile with their entire head? Even her hair was involved. She took the CM’s hand and was lead up the stairs grinning from ear to ear. She was cast as Mrs. Potts. I wish she could type and tell the story her way, but it goes something like this:

“First I had to get my costume on and then I had to hold my new friend’s hand. She was Chip. We walked out together and Belle talked about us. Belle touched my shoulder! And then we went to the other side and I couldn’t see you anymore. I didn’t get to do the wolf ears in the story because I was getting my costume on. Then Gaston fell and got splashed and the Beast was on the ground. I became human again and Belle hugged me! Belle was really tan today. I don’t know why. I hope she was wearing sunscreen because mommy said that it’s not good for you to get a sunburn. It was really hot in the theater too. Is Florida always hot? It’s really hot. Can we go get a Mickey Bar? I’m hungry. Then we all went to the end of the stage and bowed.”

Because we were special VIPs, actors you know, we got first dibs on meeting Belle. Gert said she didn’t need a signature this time because we had two already. Belle gave her a big hug and bragged to me about what a great job she did in the show and how proud I should be. (I was, don’t worry.) And we took a picture.

She was really tan, Gert wasn’t joking. In celebration, and because I knew that she was so hopped up on happiness that I knew I wouldn’t be able to catch her walking through crowds, we went and got ice cream. Before lunch, Gert pointed out. This was clearly a momentous occasion.

We found Mom and Matilda and hit the teacups on the way to Toontown. The girls had some characters on their list they wanted to get. Snow White and Pluto were tops on that list. I desperately wanted a hot dog. I do not know why.

One note about lunch. I got my hot dog. But, more importantly, I saw a wheel chair that belonged to someone named Froman. “Abe Froman,” I thought. “Sausage King of Chicago?” So, despite my family’s pleas to “stop being a freak” I took a photo of it. I had to.

Both girls wanted to spend some of their money on face painting. So, with their crazy hair and their faces painted they left a trail of glitter everywhere they went. Mostly, however, on my shirt.

We decided to head on out to EPCOT. As I was walking back down Main Street I started feeling desperate about the magic. So I went back to the Emporium, where I had struck out earlier. I figured the best spot, again, was where the event took place. Gert waited outside with mom, none the wiser.

I waited in line, patiently, trying not to look like some sort of psycho who wanted something weird. Which I was. But I figured I shouldn’t LOOK like it. Better the CM find out slowly. I got to the front of the line and explained my predicament. I don’t know if it was my story or the fact stated, “My daughter lost her magic!”

“Oh, no! If anyone can help you, it’s the Cast Member at the first register on the right, all the way in the front of the Emporium. Her name is McKenzie.”

“I know her,” I shouted like an idiot and bolted to the front of the store. Matilda joined me halfway through and we approached the register.

“Well hello, Princess Leia,” she said to Matilda.

“McKenzie, you’re my only hope,” I said, probably sounding like a nut. I recounted the whole story. “I just need a few pieces.”

McKenzie, without a word, held up one finger and disappeared backstage for a few minutes. When she returned she held out a hand and dropped a handful of magic into my waiting hands. She smiled and put her fingers to her lips, and I nodded, letting her know I’d keep her secret.

I had the magic back! Now to figure out how to return it to her in a magical way . . .

If you ever have a chance to meet McKenzie, tell her she’s the best CM on property. But, really, I should thank all the CMs from CSR, World of Disney, the Boutique, various stores and several friends I called for help. I just couldn’t allow Gert’s magic be one of those lessons.

Continued below . . .
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We finished out the day in EPCOT. Mom and I rode Mission: Space in shifts. Still love that sucker. Of course, we had to stop by Imagination to play with the water. Matilda caught a flash of mischievous little creature. “Who’s that,” she asked, pointing to a certain lovable dragon.

“Figment!” We ran over to get signatures and photos. They kept talking about how cute and sweet Figment was. Why weren’t there more people there? Why was alone? He needs a hug! We need to go back and give Figment a hug! But, alas, Figment was on a break when we got back. Or, perhaps, he was drowning his sorrows in the back, lamenting the days when he was top dragon in EPCOT.

Then headed over to the World Showcase. We were hoping to find Mary Poppins. Didn’t work out though. I accidentally bought a Guinness again. I don’t know how that happened.

We were under the spectre of a horrible looking thunder storm that hung over one side of the lagoon, but never quite pulled the trigger. We had dinner with a flock of birds again, because where Gert goes so do the birds. I have no idea what it is about her.

I stopped to pick up a new pair of sunglasses and for some reason grabbed Matilda a small skeleton piñata in Mexico. Why? Who knows. She named it Pedro and loves it in a very strange way that may indicate she’s on the road to being a goth chick.

We rounded out the day by finishing up our masks and drinking coffee in a pristine ROE spot. We just had fun making jokes, telling stories and relaxing. For a theme park, EPCOT sure puts my family at ease. It was a great evening and we got to see ROE one last time.

We needed to wash Gert’s face and hair to remove the face paint and three hundred points of hairspray. But when we got back she just collapsed on our bed. I picked her up and put her in her bed, still in her clothes. She didn’t even notice that her sister stayed up to watch Hannah Montana.

Tomorrow we were heading home. But I went to sleep relaxed and happy (relaxed is a rare state for me). I had found the magic, Matilda was happy and we were all full of churros and Mickey Bars.

We wouldn’t spend much time on Disney property in the morning but Matilda made sure we didn’t leave without leaving our mark.

Tomorrow: We wrap this puppy up, so you can find useful things to do with your time. What happens? Going home. We leave CSR. And our triumphant return to CSR. Wait. What? Already?
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

Love the Abe Froman reference...one of my favorite movies of all time!!

And I am SO glad that Gert will be getting her magic back!

Wow...who knew about the elusiveness of Mary Poppins??? If we get to meet at MNSSHP during the INTERCOT anniversary weekend, you can have your picture taken with me (look at my avatar from last year's MNSSHP...I'm making a return appearance this year as that practically perfect nanny!)

Granted, I'm no Julie Andrews, and it's fair to say I'm not as young and svelte as the original, but I CAN say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious frontwards AND backwards...that's gotta be good for something, right? So if you'll just set your camera WAY out of focus and photoshop the heck out of it, you'll have your photo!!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Yeaa you found some magic.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so happy you got her magic back. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like MacKenzie has that magic flowing through her veins. Wonderful story as always!
    Never underestimate the power of High School Musical!

Pop Century - Dec/2004
    Pop Century - Nov/2005
    Coronado Springs - Dec/2005
    Pop Century - Nov/2007
    Dolphin - Nov-Dec/2007
    Pop Century - Dec 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Whouda thunk it would be so hard to get your hands on a few pieces of Mickey shaped confetti??? Thank goodness for McKenzie!

Love the Abe Froman picture

Man, the dreaded last day huh? How awful ... I hate the last day. I mean I really hate it. Somewhere, in some deep, hidden part of me I'm quite certain I was meant to be born as Walt Disney's son so I could live in Walt Disney World. Diane and I must have been switched at birth or something ...

Poor Figment.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Such an entertaining report, Gary. Your last park moments at Epcot - perfect! What a great last day for everyone. You found the magic!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad you were able to get the magic back! Congrats to Gert on performing with Belle! Honestly, I thought you were reporting on my family trip there for a minute! DH would have done the exact same thing with the Froman thing and DD14 would have been pleading for him to stop while calling him a freak!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

on finding more magic for Gert! Something tells me, though, that she was well on her way to finding her own magic that day (and it wasn't in the shape of Mickey confetti)!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post
    But, more importantly, I saw a wheel chair that belonged to someone named Froman. “Abe Froman,” I thought. “Sausage King of Chicago?” So, despite my family’s pleas to “stop being a freak” I took a photo of it. I had to.
    LOVE it!!

WTG, McKenzie, for providing more magic! And from looking at your pictures, I can see how much Gert enjoyed her time on stage with Belle!

That is a bummer about Figment, though. Poor guy.

Post Thanks / Like

What am I going to do when these trip reports are over?? I am enjoying them so much! Living vicariously through you and your girls is quite fun!
    I love the expression "smiling with your whole face" - that sums up what Gert must have been feeling perfectly. I think I've seen it happen in our family.
    I'm so glad you found the magic - can't wait to see what you do with it...
    ... and those Guinnesss'... somehow I think there will be some accidental purchases in October, too, no?
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

The magic is back! Thanks for the trip report. Your daughter's description of Story Time with Belle was so cute. Can't wait to read more, but oh no! Your last day!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Another great report. It warms my heart to read about such a good Dad. Good for you Gary
    Glad you found the Magic.

It reminds me of the time my daughter was little and we spent several days searching for Cinderella's pony. (Pony resides in the stables, of course, which you can go tour by the way)!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go gary in finding the magic for her.

Sounds like another fun day all around however.

thanks so much for your reports they've been a joy to read.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

yay!! you got the magic back...cant wait to see how you give it back to her..again sounds like another great day!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awww, you got her magic back! Can't wait to hear her response!
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Yay, Dad! & Yay, McKenzie!

¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, how I hate that last night! It's always a feeling of fulfillment and sadness at the same time. Thanks for sharing again!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: