Quantcast The Mac Family: Day 7: Downtown Disney, the Boutique and Boardwalk

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Mac Family: Day 7: Downtown Disney, the Boutique and Boardwalk

Um, for a day “off” I really wrote a lot. I need an editor. Too bad I don’t know someone who edits textbooks for a living but is too lazy to edit his own writing . . .

Something I neglected to mention about the evening before. During the rain storm, I stopped off to talk to the concierge about where one would find some magic so I could slip it into Gert’s luggage. While waiting for the concierge a woman tapped me on the shoulder. “Are you here for the bodybuilder’s convention?”

I looked at her like she was speaking an alien language. I’ll admit that I’m fitter than I’ve ever been, but I still look more like the Pillsbury Doughboy than Mr. Universe. I’ve always been a big guy, but I don’t think I’ve ever been asked if I was a body builder. My wife disagrees and says I’m not the body by donut type anymore, but I have to respectfully disagree. A lot of Bavarian cream went into my portly physique for many years. I’m not going to let “weight loss” and “fitness” ruin all that work.

“Um,” I said, flexing my muscles, “no I’m not. But I do work out.” I turned and flexed my calves and struck a pose.

Actually, I laughed and said no. Turned out there was a convention for health club owners and there were a lot of very fit individuals wandering around.

When I woke up and looked over at the girls asleep in their bed, I had some worries about our plans for the day. They wanted to hit a water park before their 4 p.m. appointment at the Bippity Boppity Boutique. But, judging by the fact that they looked like they were in a middle of a lost weekend, I was having doubts. I shared my doubts with my wife who assured me that, even though they looked like the living dead at the moment, the silky draw of a wave pool would wake them up.

So, off I went with our refillable mugs to go get some coffee. The Pepper Market folks glared at me as I was refilling my mugs. I think they were beginning to get suspicious of my coffee consumption. I heard the guy at the grill station say, “How can one human being drink that much coffee? Shouldn’t he be having heart seizures by now?”

If only they knew. I run a freelance publishing company from home. I never know, from day to day, what my hours will be. One moment I could be the chief financial officer of a small business arguing over past due invoices with an international publishing company and the next I’m applying a Band-Aid to a boo boo because my secretary fell off her bike. Sometimes I do both. So, yes, I drink a lot of coffee. In fact, it’s been said before, I may have died six years ago and the coffee is the only thing keeping me going.

I’m off track again, aren’t I?

Walking back to the room I was mistaken again for a member of the fitness crew. I guess two and a half years and 8,000 miles of cycling training have done some good. I think it’s time to convince my wife I need a second bike . . .

I kindly said “no” and that I was planning on eating my weight in pork sausage for breakfast. He seemed to understand and spread the word to the others that, while I look fit, I need a pork intervention.

When I arrived back in the room I found the girls still in bed and mom brushing her hair.

“Maybe we should revise our plans,” I said. “They look beat.”

“Who, these girls,” my wife asked. At that moment they kicked off the covers and leapt out of bed already in their suits. Little did we know this would be the most active thing they would do in the suits all day.

Shortly after breakfast, Matilda was setting up the stuffed animals in the window into some sort of bizarre tableau, just as she had done every morning. In this morning’s diorama, her new Monkey would be hanging from the curtain rod. From across the room I hear a yelp and see Matilda holding her back. She had wrenched it. And after days of sun, improper eating (see previous statements about sausage) and extreme exercise, her poor eleven year old muscles couldn’t handle it.

The water park was her big objective. So she wanted to try anyway. She took some Advil and we started for the bus. As we stood there, looking at the tears in her eyes, we knew this wasn’t to be. So we asked her to honestly tell us if she really thought she could jump and play in the water . . .

So we went to Downtown Disney instead. I’ll spare you the details of our wanderings because, well, no one wants to hear about shopping. However, it was during this trip that a plan to send something overseas to a certain INTERCOT staff member’s family and her husband was hatched. I only hope the U.S. Military doesn’t confiscate it when I get it out . . .

Here are some highlights:

• Gert hugging all the character statues and even kissing some.
    • Matilda in her Pirate Princess get up, adding a patch and earrings.
    • Bopping past the new Irish pub in PI with Gert riding on my back as the whole family sang along to The Pogues’ “Dirty Old Town.” Like I said, we’re a weird family, but when Gert was a baby and colicky, she would only get quiet on my left shoulder and if I were bouncing in a certain way. “Dirty Old Town” was one of the songs I’d play that I would bounce to that would clam her down. So it’s kind of a family thing. I’m not sure of The Pogues have ever had that distinction before.
    • A hot dog wrapped in a pretzel.
    • Gert attracting a flock of birds at Wetzel’s’ and her inviting them to join us on vacation.

When I had a moment alone, I called my friend Mike who works for Disney to find out about where he thought I could find some magic. He gave me some suggestions, some advice and some guidance. I also talked to every CM at World of Disney and the Boutique. I was starting to learn that this stuff is worth its weight in gold.

We hit DisneyQuest because the girls really wanted to do Sid’s Toy Works. And boy did they get some strange items. While we waited for the next Animation Academy we discovered the room filled with 80s arcade games. The girls were the ones who had to drag us away in time for Animation Academy.

A note about the elevator. Even the elevator at DisneyQuest has scary elements. It’s cool, but not for Gert. Finally, when the lights went out and the strobes started flashing we said, “Aw come on! Are you serious? Was it necessary to make a two floor elevator ride scary for kids?” It was at this point that we realized that scary could come at any moment. For all we knew, Cinderella was going to jump out of a dark alley and scare us later that night.

After a brief stop over at Ghirardelli for ice cream (I’ll spare you the description of that moment, but there was very little talking, a lot of grunting and pointing at food) it was time for the Boutique.

Gert sat on the floor staring at our pager and kept looking at me like I could speed up eternity. She would wriggle, thrash, roll and beg for it to be time. She was in agony. Then it went off and so did Gert. We corralled her energy and brought the girls inside for their makeover.

How can I describe this? Are there words? Imagine every little girl’s dream, combine it with the pride and thrill that a parent has when they see their child happy, mix in a little Disney magic and maybe, just maybe, you’ll have it. Honestly, I can’t describe this. The girls loved it. No, they LOVED it. Gert vibrated throughout the whole experience and had to be peeled from the ceiling.

Surprisingly, Matilda was even more excited. Matilda, who actually turns 12 today, was technically a little old for the experience. I say “technically” because, let’s be honest, my wife would have done this too. Though, at the end she looked like she was heading off to prom, the smile on her face was worth every moment leading up to it. She looked as if, for the first time, with two people doing her hair and make up she was finally getting the treatment she deserved.

With two happy, made over girls, we headed over to the Boardwalk for dinner. Big River Grille & Brew Works. For some Rocket Red Ale, of course. We ate way too much. Way too much. And the girls (including mom) all fell in love with the Boardwalk when I gave them a quick tour of my favorite stops. Though they really wanted to see Storm Along Bay across the lake. Sadly, the clouds started threatening so we headed back to CSR.

Coming Up Next: Our last day, Belle’s Story Time (again) and discussions of how long one could go without a shower because it would ruin the Boutique hair. Answer: Florida humidity makes that decision.
    Last edited by dpamac; 06-23-2007 at 11:16 AM.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy reading your trip reports!
    Great kids you have!
    I hope you enjoyed EE.
    Thanks for the reports. I look forward to the next one.
    The Force will be with you, always.
    --Obi Wan Kenobi

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about Matilda's back, but again you still managed a wonderful day! I'm glad the girls enjoyed their makeovers so much!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Matilda!

I hate that her back hurt and you had to 86 the water park.

Sounds like your experience at the Boutique was a total smashing success. My little princess felt the same way...my husband did not. He felt it was a sneak peek into what the future held and is currently in the application process to own a shotgun for any beaus that come-a-courtin' ! I think you mentioned earlier that you were in the market for a firearm, too!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day at DTD. Hope you find some magic on your last day.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the good times are heavily outweighing the bad. Maybe Gert's magic is still working.

Great storytelling!
    Never underestimate the power of High School Musical!

Pop Century - Dec/2004
    Pop Century - Nov/2005
    Coronado Springs - Dec/2005
    Pop Century - Nov/2007
    Dolphin - Nov-Dec/2007
    Pop Century - Dec 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday Matilda!!

Sorry to hear about her back, though. Ouch.

So glad to hear they both had a wonderful time at the Bippity Boppity Boutique. I have to say, it sounds like fun.

Gary =

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad I don’t know someone who edits textbooks for a living but is too lazy to edit his own writing . . .
    This was a down day? It sure sounds action packed. Your photos of the makeover are amazing. The girls look so happy and princessy.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac
    She looked as if, for the first time, with two people doing her hair and make up she was finally getting the treatment she deserved.
    Oh man ... do I ever know what that's like!

I think I've been reading your trip reports for about an hour, Gary, and I gotta say ... it's been one of the most entertaining hours I've spent in recent memory.

Which is really, really sad when you stop and think about it.

Seriously, though ... this may have been a "down" day, but it sounds like a really great day to me. Just you and your girls, lots of food, shopping, and pampering. What could be better??
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

More Gary reports!

What a great day for the girls! I'm sorry about Matilda's back, but hope the makeovers sound like they were great medicine. Can't wait to read about how those hairdos held up.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the vacation is coming to a close. I have so enjoyed reading your reports! Can you go back and write more reports??
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Okay John. But only to make you happy. I won't enjoy myself at all. I especially wouldn't enjoy eating a churro.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

Another terrific day even if all didn't go according to plan!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Another great trip report - I mean day - sounds like fun, even if it wasn't what you'd intended to do! And your description of BBB has made my decision - we will definitely have to do that for our girls next trip. And "vibrating" is the perfect word for describing how I can only imagine my girls would be - just like your Gert. How awesome...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Another amazing adventure of a day. Thanks so much for the trip report!!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great report.
    Too bad about the back pain though!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about hte back pain, that's really too bad.

An amazing time at the boutique though. Your descriptions are so much fun. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

aww the stinks you guys didnt get to one of the water parks...i hope Matildas back got better!!
    sounds like the girls had a really great time at BBB...
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: