Quantcast The Mac Family: Day 5: EPCOT!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Mac Family: Day 5: EPCOT!

Okay, so you know how I keep saying this whole vacation is all about the kids? All bets are off when it comes to EPCOT. I love EPCOT. Love, love, love, love, love. I love it. I would marry it. I would live there and sweep the ground every day if I could. I would go back to college, get a degree in blowing stuff up and work on Illuminations if I could.

But, yeah, the kids and stuff. They were there too. So, we decided we needed to make them happy too. So we fed them and headed off to the park.

First thing was first. Fast Pass Soarin’ so Mom and Matilda could ride. Matilda had ridden it in California last year with her dad and step-mom, and she wanted to share it with her mom. Turned out they could walk on. I had ridden it with an insane group of INTERCOTees a while back, so I figured Gert and I would do the Seas with Nemo while we waited.

No go. She made it into the queue area and freaked out. She wanted to wait for mom and Matilda. She really wanted to ride the clam mobiles; she had seen them on the Disney Channel a million times. It was important to her. But, something about the queue area was unsettling for her. I’m not sure what it was, so we decided to wait.

So we headed over to the Imagination area to see what was doing. Neither of us wanted to do the ride which shall not be named because it’s a sad, sad replacement for the original. Anyway . . . I knew she’d love the water features up at the top of the pavilion so we headed there. I was right. She tried to catch the jumping water for 20 minutes and played with what she called the “bouncing water” for about as long. Then we went to the Kodak after show presentation through the gift shop and played around for a while. We then went over to the Innoventions area. While we were there a CM and some kids came out and did a ladybug release. Little did they know that Gert is the Dr. Doolittle of ladybugs. They dumped the bugs and they ended up crawling all over Gert, who giggled and laughed.

Then it was off to sample the Beverly; a true rite of passage for any visitor to WDW. She actually drank the whole cup. The entire cup of it. Almost considered going back for more before she made her decision. It was a no go. “That’s terrible,” she said. “Why would people drink it?” We laughed and kept on sampling. Then something amazing happened. There she was, drinking soda without dad telling her to slow down—unfettered access to sugar—or that she was wasting soda when she dumped it, and the new Hannah Montana song started playing over the speakers. The girl was in heaven. She danced, she drank, and she sang “Nobody’s Perfect.” It was absolutely adorable.

We met back up with Mom and Matilda (who had already been through the Beverly rite of passage), drank some more soda, and decided to head over to Mission: Space to see if Mom could ride. While she went to Fast Pass it, we shopped for geeky things in the gift shop. I found some really cool models that are now sitting in my office. Of course I had to assemble them that night and play with them in the hotel room. Hey, I’m not embarrassed.

So the girls did the Kidcot station (the Future World version is not nearly as much fun) while Mom went off to meet her time at Mission: Space. The coloring kept them happy for a while but, for the most part, they really found the pre-packaged Kidcot not much fun. We started playing with the exhibits and they both centered on a frighteningly confusing game involving something that seemed not unlike playing hockey on top of a projection of a video game. It involved business and seemed to have more rules than the 2007 US Tax Code. They were waiting in line to try it, while I wondered if I could possibly cheer them on because I didn’t even know what these kids were doing.

Thankfully Mom showed up. They had to shut down the Orange (or whichever side spins) side of Mission: Space because someone had a protein spill. And, unfortunately, we needed to hit Norway for our Princess lunch.

We strolled through the World Showcase and I could feel that happy warmth I always have in EPCOT. The feeling that I could just sit and watch the world go by. Also, something in me wanted to clip in to the bike and see how fast I could circle the lagoon. I’d bet I could do it in less that four minutes on the bike.

Akershus was cool. I was worried none of us would eat anything. However, I think we all enjoyed our food. Of course, the girls ate pizza. But I had the pulled pork and it was fantastic. Especially with a chilly Carlsburg.

Our first princess was Belle when we walked in. She was in her ball gown and looked gorgeous. Surprisingly, the girls were unimpressed. I think it was just an uninspired portrayal. Belle is revered in our household, as are ball gowns and any hairdo with an upsweep. Interesting.

Our first roaming princess was Ariel. With legs! Gert buzzed and fidgeted as she watched Ariel work her way to our table. When she arrived, she was struck dumb. She got her signature and was happy. However, the highlight came with the little girl at the next table. When Ariel arrived, this little girl was beside herself.

As Ariel was signing her book, the little girl took her fork from the table and held it up to Ariel. At first everyone was confused. Was she inviting Ariel to lunch? Luckily Ariel caught on quickly.

“Oh my,” she gasped, “I can’t take your dinglehopper!”

Everyone’s hearts fluttered and we went back to eating. Next up was Aurora, who was quite chatty. She signed autographs like she was on a book tour promoting her latest tome on decorating your castle in thirty minutes or less. What was cute, however, was Gert watching Aurora at the table before ours. Her eyes were big and wide.

Jasmine came by and she looked exactly like a girl I knew in high school. It was kind of creepy. As she was posing for our photo she made a comment about keeping an eye on boys or something and I made a joke about her liking bad boys. I meant Aladdin and I meant it in a completely innocent way. Jasmine gasped out of character and giggled. I have no idea what she thought I meant, but I crawled under the table to avoid the punch in the arm I was sure to get from my wife.

For some reason, someone had told us that Cinderella would not be at the lunch, so we thought we were done. The girls were disappointed, but they were also ready to get back to what we were there for. Then the door opened and she appeared. Gert’s jaw dropped.

“I’m going to tell her I was her Fairy Godmother in Training and that I picked her outfit for the ball! I think I picked those shoes! I hope she likes them. I’m going to tell her I picked her tiara and her cape.” And on and on and on.

Cinderella arrived at our table and greeted our children. Silence. Matilda handed her book to Cinderella and she signed. Then she turned to Gert.

“Hi,” Gert said. “Hee hee hee hee.” And that was that. She couldn’t get the words out.

After lunch, and visiting Norway’s giant troll, which we nicknamed Uncle JimmyC, we went back to Future World to hit Nemo. Not literally, because John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton would be upset with me. Gert was ready. We walked through the outside part, went through the door, was hit by the lovely blast of cold air and immediately climbed up Mom’s arm like a frightened cat. She bargained and begged, and went between wanting to go and not wanting to go. Ultimately, she got on and rode with mom. I looked back and found her sitting as close to mom as possible with her little flashlight in her hands (you know, so she never had to be in the dark).

It passed without incident. I have to say it’s really cool how they integrate the characters with the real fish. But, it was during this section that we realized that everything always has to have a scary element. It might not be scary to us, but to a nervous soul like Gert it was pretty frightening when the creepy fish shot out chasing Marlin. But she handled it well.

I’m happy to say that this was the last time we did anything that she was frightened of. Either that was the last thing on the list, or she simply relaxed about things. It’s hard to say what actually happened. But, things were much more relaxed from this point on.

Turtle Talk was fantastic. Naturally, we were called Dude for the rest of the day and we used the word judiciously for the rest of the day. Filled with a sudden urge to own a Squirt. So, we bought it and decided to go play with the water again. Gert wanted to share her love of the jumping water and bouncing water. Gert still loves it . . .

Continued below because I apparently can't shut up.
    Last edited by dpamac; 06-21-2007 at 09:23 PM.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The rest of the evening was spent in the World Showcase. Canada was uneventful (sorry Canada), but the gardens were gorgeous. In the UK I might have accidentally gotten a Guinness and was sipping that while the girl worked on their masks. We met Pooh and Tigger for a second time. Then we heard rumors that Mary Poppins and Alice were out by the lagoon. Off we went.

Mary’s line closed while we were there, which became a theme for us. She became our great white whale than never quite worked out for us. But Alice was a treat. When Gert approached her she said, “How did you get so big,” which prompted a very long rant by Alice about how you should never eat anything that says “Eat Me” and you should never drink anything that says “Drink Me.” It was a riot. She must have spent a good four minutes with the girls. For the rest of the trip, Gert would whisper “Eat Me” whenever I had something tasty to eat. Then she’d tell me how dangerous it was and would steal the food.

In France the girls each got an éclair and I cot mom a glass of pinot and we sat outside the bistro watching people go by. In my head I was pretending that we were waiting for the peloton to pass us by as Le Tour headed up toward Alpe d’Huez. For a cycling fan, France (and Italy for that matter) was a huge disappointment. All they had were two horribly ugly shirts with the Tour logo. No one looks good in those shirts. No one.

After Morocco, Mom and Gert decided to get some Sushi. Matilda and I don’t share the love. But it was certainly amusing to see people’s reactions to a five year old wolfing down sushi. Matilda and I went shopping for garish Japanese toys and candy. But nothing really caught our eye. It happens to the best of us I guess. All we wanted to do was buy a bunch of cheap junk and it seemed no one wanted to help. While the girls worked on their masks and I gawked at all the tin toys that were on display.

In America, the girls had a hilarious hula hopping session with a cast member who, I swear, is the happiest person I have ever seen. If I had that sort of job satisfaction I would truly be content.

By the time we got to Germany I was starving. So I stopped off for a Franziskaner Weisse and a brat. Tired and sweaty, we settled outside of Germany for Illuminations.

Gert loved it. LOVED it. When the inferno barge went up, she said, “Cool!” Though she covered her ears the entire time, she was just in awe over the whole thing. I suspect that it was because the fireworks were lower and the whole show is more than just fireworks.

To my dismay, Matilda didn’t remember the first time she saw Reflections of Earth. That was kind of sad for me because we had such a great time that night oh so long ago.

We wandered out to the bus (best thing about CSR is you almost never wait for a bus and it’s rarely crowded . . . you have to love convention hotels). On the ride home, my sleepy princess collapsed on my lap.

Little did we realize that her fanny pack would be left behind on the bus. Or perhaps in Germany. We could never locate it. But her precious magic was in that fanny pack.

It would be the next day when we discovered its loss, but for now we were content.

Tomorrow: The magic is gone, but we continue anyway to Animal Kingdom and Daddy starts his quest to recover the magic (just wait until you hear what she says; it’ll break your heart).
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that poor baby's magic!!

I hope Daddy can do a good job getting her some more!

Great reports...my daughter is in the other room and keeps yelling, "what's so funny?" because I keep laughing out loud!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! You better not make me cry, Gary! Poor Gert. I am glad to hear that from here on out she's not too scared anymore, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post
    Okay, so you know how I keep saying this whole vacation is all about the kids? All bets are off when it comes to EPCOT. I love EPCOT. Love, love, love, love, love. I love it. I would marry it. I would live there and sweep the ground every day if I could. I would go back to college, get a degree in blowing stuff up and work on Illuminations if I could.
    I am SO with you there... AMEN brotha!! Couldn't have said it better myself. That park is truly my happy place.

Post Thanks / Like

Epcot is my happy place too, so of course it was a real treat reading your adventures.

Poor Gert and her lost magic! But I'm glad Nemo helped get her over being scared.

Hope Mom got a ride on M:S later in the week.

Sounds like you had some great character interaction this day. That Alice sounds perfect!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you are able to help recapture the magic for Gert!

What a lovely day!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Mary’s line closed while we were there, which became a theme for us.
    Same thing always happens to us.

I love your reports. It makes me miss those ages so much!!

Please don't make us wait too long for the next installment.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

What a great day. I really enjoy reading your reports.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! I hope you can get some more magic! The opening ceremony at the Magic Kingdom, maybe? That Alice In Wonderland does sound like a great character, and the fork with Ariel, classic! Thanks for the trip reports, can't wait to read more!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a wonderful day! However, losing the magic must have been heart-breaking for Gert!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

another great report thank you so much!!
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I love this report. Your quotes are hilarious. I love,love,love Epcot,and love,love,love CSR. Well,off to read more..
    1st trip to WDW Offsite-1994
    All Star Sports-June 1999
    Coronado Springs-February 26-March 4th 2007(solo trip)
    Can't wait to go back..

Post Thanks / Like

That dinglehopper moment was fantastic, and one of those things that you just never expect from a child. We're just happy that Ariel picked up on the girl's subtlety because her parents were looking at us, we we were looking at them and shrugging. It just didn't register that she was trying to help Ariel with her collection.

Silly us!
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

The dinglehopper moment was priceless. As are all the moments you are sharing with us.

The second I read the part about losing the magic that was in the fanny pack, the thought that came to mind is . . . Ya gotta go to Mickey and tell him about.

I am looking forward to more story!
    Never underestimate the power of High School Musical!

Pop Century - Dec/2004
    Pop Century - Nov/2005
    Coronado Springs - Dec/2005
    Pop Century - Nov/2007
    Dolphin - Nov-Dec/2007
    Pop Century - Dec 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I wish you could see me smiling right now ... I may take a picture and email it to you ... although I haven't showered yet and ... well nevermind anyway ...

First off, you and I are completely totally and utterly simpatico on Epcot. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've uttered words exactly like, " ... I love EPCOT. Love, love, love, love, love. I love it. I would marry it. I would live there and sweep the ground every day if I could." or at least some reasonable facsimile thereof. October is gonna be cool!

The dinglehopper thing ... too cute!

In fact, this whole thing is too cute. I'm afraid I'm going to have to shut you down for being in violation of the statue we have here against excessive cuteness. And this is without the pictures!!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

EPCOT has got to be my all-time favorite as well....most especially during the Food & Wine Festival!!!! Nothing is better than eating and drinking your way around the world!!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

what a great day!! Makes me want to go to Epcot right now... but now you've got me all nervous about Gert's magic!! I'm glad you guys had such a great day... thanks so much for sharing these fun (& funny ) reports with us!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a pretty good day...
    and..oh man..we loose the magic and no one knows yet...i hope it wont be to bad..
    i dunno if i really wanna read Day 6...am i gonna be sad?
    anyway...sounds like a really great trip so far!!
    and im still loving the way you write!!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: