Quantcast The Mac Family: Day 4: Scooping Up Magic

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Mac Family: Day 4: Scooping Up Magic

All the info on who everyone is, along with my photo caveats and warnings about how chatty I am are in my first day post.

So, today I discovered the breakfast skillet at Pepper Market. Yesterday, fried cheese, today sausage. Look, I cannot stress that cycling training and eating for and/or about cycling has consumed my life for the last two years or so. I’m not saying I ate a lot, but I let’s just say that my photo is now displayed as a warning in pig pens across the country.

Today we were having lunch with Pooh and Friends at the Crystal Palace. To say that Matilda is a Pooh freak would be incorrect. She loves Piglet. She can give you a two hour dissertation on why Piglet is the most underrated Pooh character and how he is the moral center of the Pooh stories. First we had to hit Fantasyland for Gert.

She was overwhelmed. The Castle, the rides, the complete dedication to her obsessions. She was in heaven. We rode Dumbo, of course. She was happy about it at first. But when Matilda’s elephant got stuck in the up position, Gert went into safety mode. She was getting ready to request the safety reports on the whole park. But, she was easily distracted by Cinderella’s Golden Carousel. This would turn out to be her favorite ride.

Afterwards, we headed toward the Grotto to meet Ariel. The Ariel. The mermaid. Gert was excited. We waited, and waited, and waited. The line would not move. So we waited more. Finally we were nearing the front of the line when . . . Ariel had to go take a break for some fish chow.

So we waited more. It’s funny, I remember sitting in this same line with Matilda when she was four. Now she was primping her hair and striking model poses whenever a camera nears her. Finally, the line opened up and we were there. With Ariel. The MERMAID. Gert was swooning.

Matilda moved in and got her autograph while Gert was seized by shyness. When it was her turn she quietly walked up to Ariel and handed her the autograph book. Then, Gert piped up. “I’m wearing seahorse socks,” she said. She had planned it. She knew she’d get to meet Ariel today and she wore them on purpose.

Ariel made a huge deal out of it. She showed the Photopass photographer, she exclaimed how amazing these socks were, how wonderful they were how, when she would have legs she would wear socks just like them. Then she asked Gert’s name. Gert told her.

“That’s my favorite name in the whole wide ocean,” She exclaimed. She posed for pictures with the girls and then gave Gert a huge hug. For the next hour, Gert’s feet didn’t touch the floor.

Then it all went down hill. Matilda wanted to ride Pooh. Of course. And Gert loves Pooh. Pooh isn’t scary, right? It’s fun. I love the ride, Matilda loves the ride. My wife loves the ride. Let’s go.

Again, she was freaked out. She was okay during the first portions of it, but when we hit the Heffalump part, she was asking me if we could leave now. I don’t know what it was about it, because it’s only mildly frightening. Maybe she hates Day-Glo. But she was terrified.

And Daddy was upset. In my head, vacation was ruined. Here I was in Disney World with my daughters and one of them hates it. I was beside myself because I honestly didn’t know what to do. How much fun would this trip be for Gert if she watched everything from a bench while everyone else had fun in shifts? I wasn’t sure what to do. I was upset. Gert was upset. We were in a funk.

Lunch was soon, but not really soon. It was too close to wait for a ride, but far enough off that we couldn’t check in yet. So we went to the Emporium to shop. Gert sadly poked around the items and was sadly looking at birthstone necklaces. A CM, McKenzie, approached and started talking to her about birthstones. She asked Gert when her birthday was and Gert told her November.

“Mine too,” the cast member responded. And she began to explain how topaz comes in many colors and started to show Gert all the different topaz necklaces. When she showed her a white topaz, Gert began to smile.

“Hey,” McKenzie said, “can you help me? Cinderella is going to the ball tonight and she needs help picking out her outfit. Can you help me pick it out? You can be a Fairy Godmother in Training.”

Gert nodded and smiled. We walked over to the window and there was a little Cindy mannequin. Gert selected gloves, a tiara, a cape and shoes. She was thrilled the entire time. Daddy was too. Maybe, just maybe, I hadn’t ruined her vacation.

“Okay,” McKenzie said, positioning Gert in front of the mannequin, “We’re going to do some magic and transform Cinderella for the ball. Do you know the magic words?” Of course she did. They recited the words and there was a burst of pixie dust from above Gert. “Go check that door. Your fairy godmother should have left you a gift for helping.” Gert ran to the little cabinet and found a Year of a Million Dreams certificate and a princess pencil. She shoved those in my hands and immediately went for the pixie dust.

She dropped to her knees and started scooping up the Mickey shaped confetti and started shoving it in her fanny pack. “I need to get all the magic! I need to get the magic!” So we quickly all swarmed and helped her pick it up.

We left for lunch with a happiness that we had seemed to lose a mere hour before. Gert talked and talked about it, wondering if we could make it to the ball to see Cindy’s outfit, and she talked and talked about the magic. Little did we know that in two days, that magic would lead to tragedy.

Lunch was fantastic. When Piglet came to the table Matilda looked like she was going to pop. She was grinning from ear to ear and giggling like a school girl. Which, of course, she is. So I suppose she has an excuse.

After lunch we decided to split up. Gert would go back to Fantasyland with Mom and Matilda and I hit Pirates and Haunted Mansion. I managed to get a call in to John, our intrepid leader, from the Haunted Mansion line. Heh.

While we rode Pirates, a spark was ignited in Matilda. We must be pirates. For the rest of the trip. So we each bought the pirate Mickey ears—hers the Pirate Princess version. I also bought a huge pirate flag for my office back home. Since I was wearing a pirate t-shirt and pirate socks that I wear on particularly grueling bike rides I looked like a supreme dork.

We met up with mom and Gert in Toon Town where we switched kids so she and Matilda could go ride Splash Mountain. Gert and I played in Tomorrowland for a bit and then rode the Carousel for what seemed to be an hour and played in the new Pooh playground. Mom was supposed to call when they got off the ride, but I never heard anything. Tried to call, couldn’t get her. I knew something was going on so I decided to head to where we were talking about having dinner and hope she’d end up there. Lo and behold, there she was. Good thing. Her phone wasn’t working so we were going all old school on this day.

We had a Dole Whip and watched Mickey fight Maleficent while Gert yelled out, with startling sincerity, “Dreams DO come true!” We went to grab some dinner and hit the last show of Story Time with Belle. Again, perfect way to end the girls’ day. They were enchanted. Belle was fantastic and, again, Gert gushed when they met.

I think I messed up the chronology there, but oh well. I think we can all live with that.

We were going to stay for fireworks, but the girls admitted they were beat so we decided to head back. We hit the candy shop on the way out and filled the kids up with some candy. Two weeks later they still haven’t eaten any of it. Odd.

At CSR the CMs in Pepper Market looked at me as I was refilling my mug with more coffee. Considering how often I refilled that sucker with coffee I think they were prepping the Automated External Defibrillator Automated External Defibrillator to restart my heart.

Today had its ups and downs. I would have to learn that I can’t make this vacation perfect for everyone and just relax and let things happen. The Disney magic was trying to happen for us, but my extreme dedication to making everyone happy was actually preventing me from enjoying it. Nor would it allow me to see the fun my family was actually having. We, or should I say I, hit our groove later in the week. I’m not used to entertaining two kids here. This is my first dual-kid trip . . . I still had a lot to learn. Maybe I take vacations too seriously.

Anyway, tomorrow is EPCOT. My beloved EPCOT. And lunch with Princesses! And beer and sausage! More reason for pigs to hate me!
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a fun day in MK. And so great that your youngest got some magic when she needed it.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Despite a few bumps, it turned out to be a wonderful day!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

That is precious about Gert scooping up the magic! How sweet!

I think we all, as parents, are guilty of trying too hard for that "perfect Wally World vacation, Clark W. Grizwald style!

I am sure, ups and downs, the trip will be a source of wonderful memories...and that you haven't scarred anyone for life!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

A great report though I'm a little worried about the whole tragedy thing. How cute was that for your Gert!

thanks for sharing this with us.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Another great report, Gary. Though I agree, I'm a little trepidatious about the "tragedy."

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Gary, I really do feel your pain. I'm glad you guys had a nice day in the MK despite the bumps.

Can't wait to read about your Epcot day!

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, am a bit concerned about your reference to tragedy?!

When my daughter was young, we tried multiple times to get her to ride the Carousel. She would have absolutely nothing to do with that ride whatsoever! We've never figured out why! And for Gert, it's her favorite ride! It just goes to show how different each child is!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

“That’s my favorite name in the whole wide ocean,” She exclaimed. She posed for pictures with the girls and then gave Gert a huge hug. For the next hour, Gert’s feet didn’t touch the floor.
    What a glorious experience.

You had me smiling like a goon reading about Gert and her 'magic'. Since I already know about the tragedy - I'm hesitant to read. Your descriptions are so heartfelt - I don't think I can take it.

Off to read about Epcot.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your day turned out really well.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, scooping up the magic and the conversation with Ariel makes me look forward to starting a family and bringing my future children to Walt Disney World, that is some sweet stuff! Thanks for the great trip report. I'm so nervous now though, what's the tradegy,...
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Carol, your avatar is killing me.

You know, this whole rite of passage thing for kids at WDW is a bag of worms. On the one hand, it's a wonderful experience. On the other hand, it's not the kids who get expectations built up. It's us! The parents! We watch the planning videos and the Travel Channel specials and visit fantastic websites that have more information per square megabyte than any other on the Internet. We get this picture in our head of little girls running across the rose garden and jumping into Cinderella's arms and getting swept away in the pixie dust and mouse ears.

We plan and plan and plan and forget that, when you're a kid, you don't plan. You just DO. And that's what Gert wanted to do. She didn't want to test her boundaries and discover things that she probably would enjoy. She just wanted to do the things she actually knew she'd enjoy. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm the same way. But it took a second to realize that Gert needed that for herself as well. It wasn't that she didn't know better, it's that I didn't know better.

Everyone always used to ask my mom why her relationship with me as a kid and a teen seemed so easy. She replied, "I practiced seven times on his brothers and sisters and made all my mistakes already. Now we just let him make mistakes."
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're being too hard on yourself. You done good. You done real good.

Besides, over time, the memories that stay are the moments kids share with their parents.

Excellent story (it's better than a report) again!
    Never underestimate the power of High School Musical!

Pop Century - Dec/2004
    Pop Century - Nov/2005
    Coronado Springs - Dec/2005
    Pop Century - Nov/2007
    Dolphin - Nov-Dec/2007
    Pop Century - Dec 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Oh, Gary ... that story about needing to "get all the magic" got me right here. That is just too sweet. You really have a little angel on your hands there (two little angels, actually).

On a side note, you're just such a great writer, Gary. I'm sitting here reading your reports and laughing out loud ... Trish keeps calling in from the living room, "What are you reading in there???"

On to day 5!!!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What a great day - we had a similar experience with Ariel. Best character interaction ever!
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Gary -

Wow!! Reading your trip reports is making me feel so much better.....all these years I thought I was the only one. My girls are about the same ages and in about the same stages as well. And, I am the ultimate planner of my vacations and when things don't go as I have planned/envisioned them....it kills me!!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

What a great day - I have to confess to getting teary-eyed when I read how well that CM read Gert's sadness and helped change it into magic for her. gotta love the CM's!! Glad to hear things got better... what could be more Disney-like than "scooping up the magic" for Gert?? Looking forward to reading day 5...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day to me and another great post to read!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Deb
    2012 Jan ALSM
    2011 July POFQ
    2010 July POR
    2009-Oct 3 days POFQ
    2009-June POFQ
    2008-Aug OKW
    2007-June WL
    2007-Jan POFQ
    2006-July Polynesian
    2005-June OKW
    2004-July BCV
    2004-Jan off site
    2003-July FWC
    2003-Dec/Jan CS
    2002-June OKW
    2000-July POFQ
    1999-July OKW
    1998-July OKW
    Have a Disney Day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

what a great day...some more ups and downs with the little one..but it seems it ended very good...im sure she was very happy getting to help out cinderella!!!...
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: