Quantcast SoarN' to Test Interactive "Play Area" Queue Starting Early July 2007

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation SoarN' to Test Interactive "Play Area" Queue Starting Early July 2007

Play While You Wait

Christopher Boyd, Beth Kassab and Scott Powers | Staff Writers
    Orlando Sentinel
    | Bussiness Breifcase
    June 18, 2007

The typically long wait lines at Soarin', one of Walt Disney World's most popular attractions, are providing Disney with a new opportunity.

As a "play test," Disney engineers and designers are installing interactive video technology, motion detectors and other devices at the Epcot attraction, so that visitors might be able to entertain themselves while they make their way through Soarin's queue, which one day last week had a wait exceeding two hours.

The resulting games will feature leading-edge technology that will allow people to play together while interacting with video shown on large screens hanging in the high-ceilinged "Grand Hall" area, said Joe Garlington, vice president and executive producer at Walt Disney Imagineering, Disney's attractions-design group. In one activity, people will race birds flying across a landscape.

The system should be up by mid-July. If it works, it could stay -- and perhaps inspire similar play areas for lines elsewhere.

"This seemed like a great place to do it," Garlington said.

Visitors undoubtedly would agree. Last week, a half-dozen members of the extended Doney-Gecewicz family from Massachusetts and New York found their 130-minute wait for Soarin' almost too much. Entertainment in the line would be welcome, said Tom Doney of Longmeadow, Mass.

"Spectacular ride," his brother-in-law, Joe Gecewicz of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., concluded after riding Soarin' -- though he added that he thought the line for it was still too long
    Figment! aka Jason șoș
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess this is a good idea.

But, I mean, they would pretty much have to be giving away money to induce me to stand in a 2-hour line.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

They should have called this attraction Waitin I had a FP Saturday and the posted wait time was 60 minutes for stand by and it took me 45 minutes with a FP I can't imagine what the stand by really was if FP was 45 minutes. Unfortunately even though it ius a high capacity attraction it has a very slow load time. While the line games maybe a good idea it won't entertain people for a full 2 hour wait no matter what they do.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Might I suggest in-line food delivery?

cgriff

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I'd wait two hours regardless, but if it makes waiting in line a little more tolerable then it's a very good thing.

Growing up near Six Flags in the 70's, they used to have TV screens placed throughout the queues. There was an animated character who interacted with the guests in line. It would be very cheesy by today's standards, but it did help pass the time.

At least Disney's doing something. I'll give theme an "E" ticket for the effort.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Two Hours???

They could show a movie in that time. Charge admission to the queue and show Disney's latest big screen release.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" WED

Post Thanks / Like

Soarin's an "OK" ride but hardly worth a 2 hour wait (I'd much rather be on Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, Test Track etc). Although I'll support anything to pass time in any que.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a decent idea, but as someone said -- I don't think any game will keep me entertained for two hours.......

I think that you have a better chance of winning the powerball than seeing me in ANY two hour line!!! That would just be downright torture for my DS (5)!!!! He could run like five robot races in that time!!!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

I think this would be great.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    Might I suggest in-line food delivery?

cgriff
    that's BRILLIANT. get some churros, dolewhips, turkey legs, stuff like that.
    You may leave the magic, but your heart will always be there (psst. I'm bored) (P.S. probably will be until I return to my true home {DISNEY})

Post Thanks / Like

It's kinda funny that I have never waited for this ride. I have FP each time with no wait or I have walked on. Pays to go In Jan and Sept.
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

My family seems to always need a restroom break while waiting in line for that long. Could they do something about that?
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

what a great idea - I sure hope it works well enough for them to keep it! Thanks for sharing...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneydeb View Post
    My family seems to always need a restroom break while waiting in line for that long. Could they do something about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost999 View Post
    that's BRILLIANT. get some churros, dolewhips, turkey legs, stuff like that.
    I agree with both! It never failed that right before we FINALLY make it to the front of the line my sister HAD to go to the bathroom RIGHT NOW!! Plus, food is always a plus! We could eat and pass the time and Disney could make a profit! Great ideas!
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's actually quite well-designed

I was trained on the queue game system a couple of days ago. I personally think that it works well with the standby queue guests. There are several interactive games; the most popular one is the bird race where the entire crowd has to lean left or right to guide their bird around obstacles.
    -James (AKA "Brad")

Animal Technology Intern (June 06 - January 07)
    Soarin' Flight Attendant (June 07 - July 07)
    Animal Technology Assistant (Beginning July 15)

Post Thanks / Like

This is neat and all, but there's a far more obvious (though much more expensive) answer to the wait time troubles....

put something else in Epcot. As it is, there are so few real "rides" in Epcot, that Soarin' gets packed. Soarin' is a rarity in Disney (a thrill ride that families can go on), so most every demographic of Disney traveler goes on it. But if they built another dark ride, and maybe another E-ticket (that canadian raft ride would be cool), then maybe the queue lines would get smaller.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw a nice video of the new line last night. It's definately interactive and by far the best one looks like the bird race where you race the other people in line. Pretty cool
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    This is neat and all, but there's a far more obvious (though much more expensive) answer to the wait time troubles....

put something else in Epcot. As it is, there are so few real "rides" in Epcot, that Soarin' gets packed. Soarin' is a rarity in Disney (a thrill ride that families can go on), so most every demographic of Disney traveler goes on it. But if they built another dark ride, and maybe another E-ticket (that canadian raft ride would be cool), then maybe the queue lines would get smaller.

Bingo ! I'm all for " plussing " in the parks ,but the answer to crowd control is more attractions.

Wonders of Life is sitting there rotting .The Journey into Imagination ride is always a walk on - re-doing it right would filter more guests over there. There's room between Nemos' Seas and The Land for another pavilion. And ( the biggest no-brainer ) add some countries to WS. It's been 18 years now since the last country ( Norway ) opened. Oh, and what about the old Odyssey complex ?

I love Epcot to death , but things seem to happen too slowly in our " park of the future ".

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WEDTOPIA View Post
    I love Epcot to death , but things seem to happen too slowly in our " park of the future ".

I think I have to disagree with that comment.

I know it seems that way, but since 1999, we've seen:

Test Track (1999)
    JIYI (1999)
    JII w/ Figment (2002)
    M:S (2003)
    Soarin (2005)
    The Seas w/ Nemo (2007)
    El Rio refurbishment (2007)
    SSE Renovation (Starts Monday)

Is that slow?

WDW- '71, '74, '83, '88, '89, '97, '98, '99, '00 (x2), '01, NYE '02/'03, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07 (x2), '08, '09 (x2)
    DCL (Magic)- '99
    DL Paris- '01
    DL/ DCA- '05

Magic Music Days- '88, '98, '00, '05, '07, '09
    Festival Disney- '05, '07, '09
    DVC Member Since 2000 (Vero, BC & Saratoga)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccp1 View Post
    I think I have to disagree with that comment.

I know it seems that way, but since 1999, we've seen:

Test Track (1999)
    JIYI (1999)
    JII w/ Figment (2002)
    M:S (2003)
    Soarin (2005)
    The Seas w/ Nemo (2007)
    El Rio refurbishment (2007)
    SSE Renovation (Starts Monday)

Is that slow?
    Actually , yes. Test Track was delayed almost 2 years from opening which meant there was about 4 years of nothing in that area of Epcot.

The 2 JII refurbs were a joke compared to the original. Even after several years of low attendance and high rate of complaints ,Disney still hasn't done anything about it.

The 2 years each between M:S , Soarin' , and Nemo are normal addition time frames, but nothing extraordinary for any other theme park, which would add at least one new attraction every year . Nemo simply brings back the ride conveyance that had been missing for several years . Although, it is much better than the old Sea Cabs.

The El Rio del Tiempo rehab was basically all video changes. It wasn't ground breaking. And it took 25 years to do that.

SSE reno is only keeping up with the " every 2 year " pattern. It hasn't been upgraded for many years.

The 2 biggest problems still remain - Wonders of Life has been in limbo for the last 5 years , opened all of 3 weeks per year. The worst part of this is that Disney has not made any announcement of their plans for this area.

World Showcase has not opened a new country since 1988. 19 years ago . And they have room for 7 more. That is extremely slow.

My point is - Epcot , of all the parks , was intended to be the most flexible and fastest growing . Disney has done some great things there , but they still have plenty of work to do.

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: