Quantcast "harnesses" on young children - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually harnesses have been around since the Leave It to Beaver days. They're actually very old.

I've seen a number of lost crying children at Disney (I've consoled a number of them).

All children are so very very different. Some have unfathomable energy and will NOT stay in a stroller, they get tired of holding sweaty hands (I agree with the poster who stated...think about holding your arm above your head all day...my shoulder's sore just thinking about it).

Before I had kids I thought it was a bit crazy...then my Mom (who watched me like a hawk) showed me MINE. ACK...I thought I was the "perfect" child, the "blessed" one...I had a "Harness". My Mom said that I was so "quick" I was like the "spawn of Houdini" she could drop my hand for a mear second to catch something or pick up something and I'd wander off.

My son says I STILL need one because I'm still the one that tends to wander off.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not have a high opinion of the leash style devices until I worked in a place that had a lot of "lost parents". The majority of the time the parents were never far away, but when you consider the height and sight lines of a small child, objects that adults don't think too much about are way above a child's head.

As a parent you know your child and your family best only you can decide what is best for them.
    Niki aka Lucille

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted - Mae West

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I dunno ... my opinion is skewed, because my DD is so well behaved, always holds our hands, and stays right with us at all times.

When DS gets older, I have a feeling he might not be that way so my opinion may change, but as of now I can't say I'm a big fan of them.

Something about them seems sort of demeaning and kind of lazy.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I once was seperated fom my DS at WDW. It was a horrible experience that I will never forget. Luckily, there was a very nice Dad that helped my DS find his lost parents
    I say, whatever works for you and your children! In a matter of a second, your child could be out of sight Not a good feeling !

First trip 1972
    Last trip 7/11
    Next trip 6/12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Safety and Respect for the Child

After visiting Disney last summer and seeing the potential for many small children to get separated from parents, I think they're great. I do not in any way believe that a parent who uses one at a crowded place is lazy or has no control over their kids. It's just too easy for a child or adult to see something they're interested in and the child could run off while the parents are trying to regroup or decide what to do next. That doesn't mean the child is difficult to control. The child is just over stimulated with new sights. Many people walked between my husband and I as we walked through crowded sections of the park. If it's that easy to separate two adults, imagine how difficult it is to maintain constant contact with a small child. I think it's more cruel to confine a child to a stroller all day for several days in a row. Also, my husband refused to hold my hand due to the heat. It would be cruel to ask a child to do something that an adult would refuse to do. I wouldn't use a harness for regular grocery trips or other routine things, but Disney is not a routine and I would rather be safe than sorry. I would never make fun of someone wearing a fanny pack at Disney, but I would if I saw them shopping at the mall. Same thing for using harness all the time. Disney is a different place and for many it's very far from home.
    July 1988-My First Trip, Downtown Disney ResortApril 1993-Spring Break Surprise Trip, Off PropertyJune 2006-My first adult trip, All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen2006 View Post
    My child got separated from me coming out of the old "Tarzan Rocks" show. Even though I had taught her to stay put if she gets lost,there were hundreds of people moving in one direction, and she got swept along with them. She was only separated for a few minutes but those few minutes were terrifying for her and for me. I wish she had had a "leash" that day. I did not use them when she was little, and I had the same attitude I have heard here about them. After that day, I will never judge anyone who chooses to do what they can to keep their child safe. You know your child best, you know what your child needs. Don't be scared by how others will judge you as a parent.
    Well said!

I've honestly never used one and up until I had a child, I didn't like them. Conor was 5 1/2 for his first trip to Disney, so we didn't feel the need for a harness, but I would never judge another parent for using one. Having him let go of my hand in a crowded store and not seeing where he ran off to put me in a state of panic and fear that I hope to never, ever go through again. Do what works best for your family and will give you peace of mind so you can all enjoy your trip!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I used the wrist type one (from WalMart) when my DD was 2. She is a very well behaved child but I think some people get a false sense of security with Disney. I wasn't so worried about my DD running off as I was of someone snatching her up when I turned my head for a moment. Let's face it, nobody thinks it is going to happen to them. If it makes you feel safer, and more importantly, keeps your child safe go for it.
    Cast: ME39, DH36, DD 6, DS1
    Oct 04/Oct 05 - offsite at Westgate Vacation Villas
    May 06 - offsite at Westgate
    Aug/Sept 07 - first time on property - POFQ
    Oct 4 - Oct 13 2008 - Westgate Vacation Villas
    Oct 3 - Oct 10 2009 - off site timeshare
    May 1 - May 8 2010-Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Me too!

Firstly, to each their own opinion. No judgement from me! I have really appreciated how "friendly" this discussion is about such a controversial topic. Yay for Intercotees!

Along with a lot of other folks in this thread.... I have always hated those harnesses for children. I never understood the point, until I had a child that is. Now, as my ds gets older, I remember how terrifying it was to become accidentally separated from my mother in crowds when I was a child and it is even more terrifying to me to even think of losing ds at such an international destination such as WDW. I live in a very large urban area and I know for sure that not everyone is interested in my family's wellfare. It is much much better in my mind to be safe than sorry. Its not just about "controlling" children, it is about being able to supervise them in such an overstimulating and crowd-filled environment. I'm not so much worried about DS being lost as I am someone else taking or harming him. And that's just not going to happen if I can do anything to prevent it.

P.S. You can get the little backpack ones from Target. I think they are about $12. I've seen lots of kids wearing these at WDW. DH and I were actually a little surprised they don't make little Mickey ones for toddlers.
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't so worried about my DD running off as I was of someone snatching her up when I turned my head for a moment. Let's face it, nobody thinks it is going to happen to them.
    ME TOO!
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

My mom use to have one for me and my sisters. There were three of us and we were all within 3 years of each other so 1, 2, 3 and one point. She had a harness on one of us at the store one day while had one in the stroller ( this was before the 2 kid strollers) and the other carried. A woman came up to her and started yelling at my mom saying " do you know what your doing to your childs psyche by having her tied up like that" my moms response: " do you know what it would do to my psyche if she ran into the middle of the road and was killed by a car" the woman then proceeded on haha ..... i think we all turned out allright

i think its more of a do what you feel is necessary to keep your family safe
    Swan x 1, Dolphin x 1, Carribbean Beach x 1, BWV x 9, OKW x 5, WLV x 2, BCV x 2, Cruise x 3
    Next Up!: AULANI! July 2012

DVC Member since 97

It all started with a mouse...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by future_imagineer View Post
    The first time I saw one of these (in Epcot last summer), I honestly felt scared that our world has come to this point. I am not a parent, granted, but honestly, I don't see the problem with a common stroller, if your child walks away.
    What do you mean "what is this world coming to"?

I had one of these when the family went to the 1964 World's Fair in NY, I was three, and if I were my mom, I would have had me in a cage, not on a harness!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

In My Humble Opinion....

Seems a lot of folks have been quick to say what you should do, and what you shouldn't do. We've heard how wonderful all of their kids are. We've heard about how it would "look".

But in my opinion, NONE of that matters. What matters is, what YOU feel comfortable with for YOUR child.

Frankly, I don't care how anyone think it LOOKS if I feel I'm doing it for the safetly of my children. No matter how perfect and well behaved your children may be, a small child can get separated from even the most attentive parent in the blink of an eye. And even though we'd like to believe that bad things don't happen, especially at WDW, child snatchings can and DO happen from time to time.

Lose track of child one time, even for just a few minutes, and all the opinions and judgements in the world will no longer mean a thing.

Do what's right for YOU. Do what's right for YOUR CHILD. And above all, keep your child safe and happy.

We never did use one on any of our 3 kids as they were growing up. But I distinctly remember one time when I really wished I had. Luckily it turned out ok. But I would never presume to cast judgement on another if that was their choice. You know, as an analogy, I always wear a seat belt when I'm riding in a car, and I've never once had need for one. But I don't want to wait until I have a need for one to decide I SHOULD HAVE worn it.

-- I remember seeing a family who had a set of sextuplets, all on harnesses. It didn't look like a dog on a leash, as some have said, it was more like a team of horses.... and who could blame them one single bit.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like them and have never used them. My kids always know they are to stay with us and if they don't then they will stay in the stroller. Luckily, they don't need to be reminded of that much and don't mind riding...but I almost never have to strap them into the stroller...even the little girl monkey! When Tyler was little, he would laugh at kids with "leashes" on...actually he still does. Skye just asks why the kid has a dog leash on.

But, if you feel like it would make your trip and your childs trip (to anywhere not just the World) more enjoyable and safe then you should not care what any of us think or say or who's kids are staring because all that really matters is that you and yours are happy, healthy, and safe. I mean after all, how is your use of a harness going to affect me? It isn't, unless I am cut off by a leash and then I would just assume you would appologize (as would I probably) and we'd go our seperate ways. No prob...

12 and 196 more days !!!!
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Grinning Marathon Runner View Post
    I don't know what these things are called, but I've seen plenty of parents walking around the parks with a harness type thing on young children. It's basically like a leash that you attach to the child's upper body, and you can always hang onto the leash and know where your child is.

I used to think these things were terrible, but now that I have a two year old, I'd rather have a leash looking thing on her than have her lost in MAJOR Disney crowds - too stressful for all of us!!

What's your opinion on those leash things?
    What exactly are they?
    Where can you get them?
    It depends on the kid too but when when my oldest was little, we had one of these. It doesn't hurt them or anything. keeps track. In fact, DW on a particularly "off day" got tired of defending our decision to use one of these with him. The Exchange went something like
    "That's so cruel"
    "Do you have any children?"
    "No"
    "There ya go" ...

That being said, especially in a big crowd, I wouldn't think it a bad thing at all.
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: