Quantcast "harnesses" on young children

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "harnesses" on young children

I don't know what these things are called, but I've seen plenty of parents walking around the parks with a harness type thing on young children. It's basically like a leash that you attach to the child's upper body, and you can always hang onto the leash and know where your child is.

I used to think these things were terrible, but now that I have a two year old, I'd rather have a leash looking thing on her than have her lost in MAJOR Disney crowds - too stressful for all of us!!

What's your opinion on those leash things?
    What exactly are they?
    Where can you get them?
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on your child. Some kids will walk and hold your hand others its a constant battle.

I have seen them at anyplace you can get baby supplies. My neices have ones with an animal that straps to their back and their tail is what you hold on to.

You can get a harness type or ones that just connect to their wrist.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

If you would have asked me when my oldest were little I would have said no way, but now with our youngest two. I am all for it. I don't think you can ever be too safe. If the harness is needed, get it. I believe they sell them in Walmart or try looking online. Good luck!!
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

I think they're good. My mom used them on us sometimes when we were little so we wouldn't wonder off. It's better than losing a child. The ones they have now are so cute sometimes, like it's a backpack and the tail is what the parent holds on to. I don't know where to get them since we don't have children yet but you better believe that when I do I am going to give some serious consideration to them. I think it's a smart thing for a parent to do to take the extra precautions against losing a child and keeping a child safe, especially in such a busy place as Walt Disney World.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Those kid leashes? I personally don't like the idea of kid leashes just because it just feels like you're walking your dog instead of being a parent. I would say it's a waste of time, because half the time the kid ends up getting tangled around you (and other guests...which isn't fun), and the fact that some guests are rude and cut the cords.

That's from what I've heard from some parents on some of the boards that I go to.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

mttafire Guest

We have very STRONG feelings AGAISNT child leashes..Thats what they are is leashes. Out of respect for the O.P. and the moderators...Ill just leave it at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Before we had kids, we both detested them and thought parents who used them were awful. Then we had DS and took him to WDW. He was 18 mos old and didn't quite understand the "stay where you can see me" command and we didn't think it was fair to leave him locked up in his stroller all day. So we got a leash. We used it as back up. When we were walking, he held our hands, but he'd get distracted, let go and run off to chase a bird. We had the leash attached and in hand, so he never got more than 3 feet away. I considered it a "safety lock". 6 mos later we took him to DLR and only used it for half of the first day. By then, he'd figured out he needed to stay close.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

You're going to get both sides to this question & some may try to turn it into a heated debate. The fact is, if your child is one that wanders or runs away & doesn't follow commands - then use it for the saftey of the child & don't worry what others think. Personally, I'd rather someone I don't know & will probably never see again in my lifetime look at me funny than to loose my child.

I'm in the same boat, my son has severe ADHD & is a runner. Sometimes he walks good, other times he doesn't. I always carry the "leash" in my bag just in case I need it. I have the one that connects at the wrist & I think it only cost a couple dollars at Walmart.
    many, many trips as a child
    WDW 2000 - offsite
    WDW 2001 - offsite
    WDW 2006 - Pop Century
    WDW 2007 - Poly Concierge / OKW
    October 2007- Became DVC Members!!
    February 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    May 2008 - Boardwak Villas
    August 2008 - Beach Club / Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I usually avoid discussions like this. I make every effort to be open minded; as a parent, I often bite my tongue on these boards...

I fully and completely realize that there are children with special needs in this world; I understand that parents need to do whatever they feel is in the best interest of their own child! My responses below make certain assumptions: I respond with the thought that you are referring to a healthy, well-behaved young child here - so don't shoot me!

But, you did ask, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Grinning Marathon Runner View Post
    What's your opinion on those leash things?
    I don't like them - and my kids have both been travelling to WDW and DLR since before their first birthdays (so I don't need to hear about how kids behave ).
    What exactly are they?
    Since you ask: They are leashes. (I originally added an entire paragraph elaborating on this, but edited my writing for obvious reasons!)
    Where can you get them?
    This one I cannot answer. However, I'm sure that someone with a differing point of view will be along shortly to tell you where to buy them.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Where can you get them?
    First, let me issue a quick warning. So far the thread has stayed friendly and just answered the question asked. Please do not let it go beyond that. We've had another thread on this same subject we had to shut down because it got out of control. So, please limit your comments to the usefulness of the item in question and refrain from commenting on your perception of the parenting skills of parents who do or do not use them.

Now, to answer this specific question - Babys R Us and Toys R Us usually carry them, so you could get it at your nearest store or online. I know Wal-Mart, and believe Target, also carries this item.

As for the usefulness, it varies. I found the full upper body harness difficult and cumbersome with our son. However, the wristband version did extremely well. Gave him freedom without fear of getting lost or running off. It's easily removable and fits in your pocket when you don't want to use it (such as if the park isn't very crowded or you're using the stroller).
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Our family chooses not to use them(Just our choice, I am not knocking anyone that does use them) but, I do have friends that do buy them for their children.

The backpack ones look a little more kid friendly to me, they also sell a fanny pack one. The child wears the pack and they parent holds the leash portion. I know a lot of the kid/baby supply stores and websites sell them.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

i'm all for em. my mother used them on me and my sister when we were little and has just finished the one that my dd will use in november for her first trip. however they were crocheted and looked like they were part of our outfits. i have seen the animal back pack ones at burlington coat factory. haven't really looked anywhere else.
    199?-Off Site 2004-Grand Floridian 2005-Coronado & Off Site
    2007-Caribbean Beach
    2007 & 2009-POFQ
    2008-All Star Movies 2010-planning now

Post Thanks / Like

Apparantly my sister go her animal backpack one at Target. My nephew used to like to wear his around the house, I think he had like a monkey or a bear. He thought it was fun to wear.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like them but I have used them. The wrist ones are a joke as the kids can easily remove them and take off. The backpack ones are kind of cute. Our DD's had a fanny pack type - it went around their waist and had a tiny fanny pack on it. I think I purchased it at Toys 'R Us but you can usually find them in any baby department. I didn't like it because as they took off running, the leash did it's job and kept them put but usually they fell as it did. I always made them hold my hand even with the leash on - it was just an added security measure in case they got loose from holding my hand. My nephew (smarty-pants that he is) always barked and panted when my sister put his on.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

If I were going to use a leash on my kid I would use it to my advantage...I would use the leash as a threat to my older children (7 and up) if they didn't behave...nothing worse then being humiliated in public...and looking like a big baby.

At least that's something I can picture Rosanne doing.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Many many years ago, when I was little, small children over here in UK often wore a harness, usually called "reins", because the use of a buggy was not common. It was the big pram (called a baby carriage in US I think) or walk. It was the norm, we got plenty of exercise, and there was no fear of getting lost or falling over. We could even be lifted by it into our parents arms for a quick cuddle. Nobody thought anything of it and it gave us a marvellous feeling of independence with security. Dont think it did us any harm. I say go for it.
    Last edited by K8screen; 06-17-2007 at 06:43 AM. Reason: mistake

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to use a harness, then try it out before you go. I had them for my two daughters when they were little (2 and 3). I was a single mom and hoped for some extra "security" when we were out together. I tried to use them several times but each time my oldest daughter would just sit down and not move. It certainly didn't make my life easier.

Then 2 years ago when we were at Disney I got one of those little wrist straps for my 18 month old son. HA. He figured out how to get the thing off in about 10 minutes.

So, although I'm not against the things I've never had great luck with them. I find the stroller strap easier for me to use and harder for the child to escape from.
    May 1983 - Senior Class Trip
    July 1993 - Off Site
    July 1996 - Off Site
    June 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
    January 2008 - Polynesian WOO HOO!

Post Thanks / Like

The simple fact is they are leashes, like something you would walk your dog on. I see a couple of issues. When walking through a crowd, lets assume you have a kid on one of these leashes. You probably have them on a leash because you can not control them otherwise. Little Billy decides to go running around and that leash becomes nothing more than a rope to trip others with.
    Try making the kid hold your hand, carry them, or put them in a stroller. Leashes are a convenient way for someone else to get hurt while the kids still run wild.

Post Thanks / Like

I never liked them, to be honest. I always conjured up the dog/leash scenario that others have spoken of. But, I do have a special needs child who has in fact run away in the Magic Kingdom and was MIA for about 15 minutes. Simply put, that was the most agonizing 15 minutes of my life and I would not wish that feeling on another soul.

I will never again put a judgement call on another parent doing what they feel they need to do to keep their child safe. I wish I would have had one the day my little guy got lost. Fact is, no one knows your kid like you do -- Do what you feel best doing.
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harness oe Leash

The terminology around this can be inflammatory. Say, "leash" and pictures of pets come to mind. Say, "harness" and the picture becomes one of safety.

I think to implicitly say to a little one, "Scamper, explore, go as fast as you can. You still have a connection to me and you can't go too far." can create a sense of security.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: