Quantcast Bad News: Change in room rates for 2008 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

ive always stayed over weekends as part of my trip. i like starting midweek for better air. my next trip will start on a Friday though.
    the weekend more pricing will hurt.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

WDW is outrageously priced.

But we still pay the outrageous prices because it's "Disney World".

Those of us who love and appreciate WDW and make low wages, seem to find a way.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

TiggerRPh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Wow. I doubt many people would like that change. I hope that is not true.
    Well...almost every hotel in the world works this way. It's actually more fair to all and more realistic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerRPh View Post
    It's actually more fair to all and more realistic.
    I would define 'fair' as Disney charging the same price for resort services no matter when one stays at a resort. For those of us inclined to take long-weekend trips this (possible but probable) weekend premium pricing is not 'fair'.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree with most of the posts. Charging more for weekends is not "unfair" - it is unfortunate for those that choose to stay over weekends. If Disney charges $50 more for a weekend trip, you are adding 100-200 dollars to a week-long trip, so you reduce your weeklong trip by a day if you can't afford the increase. I think it will have more of an impact on those that pick the last day of "value" season to begin a weekend long trip. I also doubt that any pricing change like this will force people to stop going to Disney. Maybe it will shorten vacations, cause people to stay offsite or some other alteration to their historical visits but prices to go up every year and people still keep going.
    "Everybody wants to be a Cat"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    I have to disagree with most of the posts. Charging more for weekends is not "unfair" - it is unfortunate for those that choose to stay over weekends. ... I also doubt that any pricing change like this will force people to stop going to Disney. Maybe it will shorten vacations, cause people to stay offsite or some other alteration to their historical visits but prices to go up every year and people still keep going.
    Since we are FL residents, and there are quite a few of us that do the weekend thing, we feel it is unfair - not 'unfortunate'. I guess it comes down to semantics and perspective.
    We won't stop going to Disney, we just won't stay at their resorts unless they offer weekend rates for FL residents - and then we'll sit back and listen to what others will say about unfortunate versus unfair.

Post Thanks / Like

my version of "unfair" is something that is discriminatory, not honest, not lawful or such. Since it is pretty much an industry norm then I view this more as unfortunate that the change in pricing would affect you more than some who doesn't go on weekends.

Now if you define "unfair" as charging different rates for different days of the week then I agree that is unfair.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    my version of "unfair" is something that is discriminatory, not honest, not lawful or such. Since it is pretty much an industry norm then I view this more as unfortunate that the change in pricing would affect you more than some who doesn't go on weekends.

Now if you define "unfair" as charging different rates for different days of the week then I agree that is unfair.
    Thanks for the clarification rookie. Yes, I'm only talking about the week-end rate changes. I agree it might be a fair industry practice but on a personal level it stinks! It's just one more 'guest' amenity that Disney is doing away with.

Post Thanks / Like

If the prices really do change for weekend rates they will have to change their commercials because it will cost more. You figure most people go a Sat. to Sat. that don't live in Florida so that would be a full weekend of extra money to pay including their usual hike in prices.
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerRPh View Post
    Well...almost every hotel in the world works this way. It's actually more fair to all and more realistic.
    Um, when did I say anything about it not being fair? You know I love those of you just expect everyone to accept this possible change in policy because "Everyone else does it." Ok, so as Cutler Beckett would say "It's just good business", and I can understand that, but the truth of the matter is WDW did NOT operate this way for regular guests in years past, so why am I not allowed to be disappointed that they are changing their policy to one that might affect my pocket more? I understand why it is being done but I'm not going to jump up and down and say "Huzzah Disney! Way to catch up with the rest of the hotel industry!" I'm allowed to not like the change.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ughhh. We like to stay the weekend before we take our DCL cruise, so this could make a change in our regular vacation time. DH has always been iffy on the point of staying on site, this is not going to help my argument any.

Though honestly, I don't get the defense that this is okay b/c it's what most other hotel/vacation spots do things. Why do I go to Disney? Because they're NOT like every other vacation spot. It's not just about the park and the rides, it's about the customer service and the overall feeling you get of being cared about. As we all know, customer service, perks, and affordability for the average family has been decreasing over the years. At what point does Disney truly stop being exceptional? Sometimes it feels like the death by a million tiny cuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Duck View Post
    No need to shout. I did read it fully. I disagree with you. The bare minimum vacation for a family of 4 at Disney is $3,600. That's a lot of money for one vacation. Disney is very expensive. Most families spend more like $5,000 or $6,000 per visit.

Even if you saved $60 a month it would take 5 years to save for $3,6000.

A middle class family should be able to afford to go to Disney once every two years. It shouldn't take them 5 years to save up for.

My opinion is Disney is a very expensive. It wasn't always very expensive. They have been raising hotel and ticket prices every year now for a long time.

This latest rate change is further proof.
    Last time I checked Disney was not a charity. While it is a sad fact that some people cannot afford a WDW trip as often as others, so long as they are filling the hotels, there is absolutely no reason why they should charge less for their rooms. A trip to Walt Disney World is not a right, it is a luxury. For Disney to treat it any other way and NOT raise their prices every year would be silly.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why it would be considered silly if they don't raise their prices every year. Yes they are out to make money but that doesn't mean they have to raise their prices every year to do that. Not everyone gets a raise every year or gets a better job and makes any extra money. So if Disney keeps raising their prices every year on tickets, room rates, weekend rates, food, etc. and the general public can't support those increases than they may lose money in the end if they can't sell out their rooms all the time. I don't know I guess we'll have to see exactly what happens but I for one personally hope the weekend prices don't go way up and I get priced out of coming.
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    But if you a very frequent WDW customer...you probably noticed that there was a good "value" kind of feel in the late 90's...and that has turned to an "expensive" kinda feel in the last 3 or 4 years.
    I believe that's because we had more disposable income in the 90s -- and the fact that we pay more (WAY more) now for health insurance, taxes and gasoline has a lot to do with our wallets' getting thinner.

Yes, Disney is a business (I don't think anyone implied it is a charity), but it's one that caters to middle-class families with children, and always has. This group was Disneyland's reason for being, and that has held true for WDW as well.

And it's the middle class that's being squeezed economically right now. So for some of us, it hurts that the squeezor is Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chasgooses View Post
    Last time I checked Disney was not a charity. While it is a sad fact that some people cannot afford a WDW trip as often as others, so long as they are filling the hotels, there is absolutely no reason why they should charge less for their rooms. A trip to Walt Disney World is not a right, it is a luxury. For Disney to treat it any other way and NOT raise their prices every year would be silly.
    You are absolutely right that Disney as a corporation has every right to consider demand when they do their pricing. Though I find it short sighted. Inflating your prices to take advantage of an economic boom and resulting demand may be rewarding in the short term. But if Disney through price hikes and removal of perks starts cultivating the idea that it's NOT affordable, and is willing to squeeze its loyal customers for every last dime (i.e. it no longer acts like a friend of the average family), what happens when an economic downturn occurs? They may find that the return customers they've always relied upon to pad the fall may have long left the building. I'm not saying that's happening or is going to happen, but it is a chance they're starting to play with. People are VERY loyal to the Disney brand b/c sentimentally they DON'T think of it as a brand but as an Idea. The more Disney acts like a corporation the less people can buy into the magic. And without the magic, they're just a big six flags.

But then, Disney is not alone. Most corporations are alarmingly short sighted.

Lastly, what can be hard for people is that Walt absolutely intended that the average family could enjoy his parks. Sometimes we have a hard time seeing Disney - the Walt vision - being changed by Disney - the corporate vision. My poor sister and her husband are junior high teachers and have two children under 10. There is no way they could afford Disney. I honestly feel that is the sort of thing that Walt would have hated to hear.

mttafire Guest

that my friend is 100% correct. IMHO, The middle class "which i am" has plenty of disposable income...IF they MANAGE money wisely. We only have 1 cell phone, that saves us at least 40.00 per month. There is many examples of "things" these days we have"society" but we certainly dont NEED. Disney vacations are in NO way a right or an entitlement. It isnt supposed to be something EVERYone can afford. NOTHING nice in life is. My point from the start is..MOST people CAN afford a Disney vacation every 3 years or so. Some can afford to go MANY times a year. Some can only afford to go once every 5 years or so. Thats called capitalism and a free market society..We all arent the same economically. Im am perfectly happy going once every 2-3 years. We can afford that and EVERYtime we go Disney NEVER lets us down. We love every minute of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of excitement over speculation and everyone is viewing this as most defintiely a negative.

What if an announcement comes that weekend rates are going up, weekday rates, park tickets, dining plan etc are all staying the same. Not that it is likely to turn out that way, but If so a family could manage their vacation such that no price increase occurs next year.

This glass is half-full for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say Disney was a charity. I said it's a very expensive vacation.
    Do you disagree ?

Why do they have to raise their hotel and ticket prices every year ?

If they do raise them every year as you suggest they do, then don't you think at some point it's going to become unaffordable to most families ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I believe that's because we had more disposable income in the 90s -- and the fact that we pay more (WAY more) now for health insurance, taxes and gasoline has a lot to do with our wallets' getting thinner.

Yes, Disney is a business (I don't think anyone implied it is a charity), but it's one that caters to middle-class families with children, and always has. This group was Disneyland's reason for being, and that has held true for WDW as well.

And it's the middle class that's being squeezed economically right now. So for some of us, it hurts that the squeezor is Disney.
    Excellent points !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by branvy View Post
    My poor sister and her husband are junior high teachers and have two children under 10. There is no way they could afford Disney. I honestly feel that is the sort of thing that Walt would have hated to hear.
    I think Walt would be ashamed of his company if he heard this.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: