Quantcast Bad News: Change in room rates for 2008 - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Most hotels do reservations this way.
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2008 rates

i read the same thing on im sure the same website. they mentioned the date of june 23 and what makes me think that this is true is i have been talking to magical journeys about my trip for next year and the agent emailed me and said that she should have some rates coming on june 23rd. who knows maybe if you stay durning the week and avoid weekends you can save some $$
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

However, with Disney, if they have you ON property they are getting money out of you in innumerable others ways. I think charging higher rates for weekends is just rather ridiculous and unnecessary.
    As stated above; this is not new to "Disney". Disneyland and DVC already work this way.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I get why they might put the weekend rates up, but does that mean they might drop the weekday rates slightly. So, If in the current set-up a room is $100 a night / $700 a week, It would be fair to change the rates to $90 on weekdays and $125 on weekends, equalling $700 for the week. That way people who do stay longer are not at a disadvantage. Or maybe if you stay an entire week or more you could get a weekly rate?
    WDW is a pretty expensive vacation as it stands, I just hope this will not make it unreachable for some families, It would be a pity for people to miss out on Walt's dream!
    Little Disney Lovers

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'd have to agree with you there, Carol. It always seemed too good to be true to me, as well.

I'm actually more surprised their computer system can handle ressies this. I've always heard it was very inflexible. They must have gotten some type of upgrade.

The reason the program is inflexible is because it was originally designed for las vegas in 1986....it is still DOS based....

They have been trying to convert to a windows based, slightly more modern program, for at least ten years....with a veritable minefield of obstacles in their path.

The problem is: how do you convert such a huge and important piece of software literally overnight.....it's not as though they can take the system down for three months to convert, test, and work out the kinks....

Let alone training the employees....yikes!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by little disney lovers View Post
    Ok, I get why they might put the weekend rates up, but does that mean they might drop the weekday rates slightly. So, If in the current set-up a room is $100 a night / $700 a week, It would be fair to change the rates to $90 on weekdays and $125 on weekends, equalling $700 for the week. That way people who do stay longer are not at a disadvantage. Or maybe if you stay an entire week or more you could get a weekly rate?
    WDW is a pretty expensive vacation as it stands, I just hope this will not make it unreachable for some families, It would be a pity for people to miss out on Walt's dream!
    That would be a nice concept......
    But I highly doubt it. In general, there are no price decreases at WDW...only increases.
    the exceptions are only when specific venues struggle (wide world of sports, pleasure island, cirque du soleil) and general economic slumps that hurt the business significantly...

The only way they would reduce any room rates is if there was a significant drop in overall business...which is unlikely.

Disney's business analysts have definitely predicted a decline in business...as for several months WDW commercials in the US have gone with the "we can afford to go" theme....
    ....the slump just hasn't taken hold....yet.

Not to toot the horn....but with the shift in pricing...it only highlights the benefits of DVC....locked in values and upfront costs...to a certian extent

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, it is just a rumor. Is it probable...I'd say so...I've never stayed at a non-Disney hotel that didn't do this. Is it "Disney"...I don't think so...but WDW Resorts haven't been "Disney" for a while now.
    Here's what we DON'T know yet:
    1) How much the rates will increase.
    2) If Disney plans in enticing Sun - Thurs stays with package discounts
    3) If this is even true, or if this is a "policy" that they bend as soon as somebody complains.

What we DO know is that Disney is clearly tired of being in the hotel business. And this just makes the idea of outsourcing the resorts all the easier.

P.S. Thanks Dad, for being a Vet...so we can stay at Shades of Green when we go!
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

As stated above; this is not new to "Disney". Disneyland and DVC already work this way.
    The problem is that the overwhelming majority of the Disney reservations are for WDW and specifically regular room, not DVC, stays. As I previously posted, any possible change won't affect my family since we get interline rates but there are so many people who may now possibly find that this is yet one more thing WDW has done to make a trip for them out-of-reach or no longer do-able. The likelihood of Disney lowering weekday rates to even out a week-long stay is not likely but it would help. I just wouldn't hold my breath for it. There are already a few people in this post that have said that they will be pushed out of Disney trips if this materializes and I just think that is unfortunate.
    We're almost complete...
    Disney Magic
    Polynesian
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach
    Port Orleans
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Wilderness Lodge
    Grand Floridian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Animal Kingdom
    Boardwalk
    AS Sports/Music/Movies
    Pop Century
    Disney Institute
    Fort Wilderness

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVonDrake View Post
    Yep, Im suprised it took Disney this long to do the same. Sure it could add some extra cost to a vacation but thats just the way it is. All good things cost $$, If folks just pay attention to rates and "when to go" it might not add any additional cost to your vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVonDrake View Post
    But DisneyWorld isn't like any other vacation spot. Most people who stay at Disney stay for 7 or more nights.

With most other vacation spots (Hershey Park, Dutch Wonderland, ...) there isn't a need to saty there more than a couple of days so I can see why the weekend would be more desirable.

Also, most other hotels have a lot of business travelers staying only a night or two.

I think it's just another way for Disney to make more money. Disney has always been an expensive vacation but it's getting to be that middle class families can't afford it anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SallyP View Post
    We live 2 hours southwest of WDW. We frequently, at least every 2 months, drive up on Friday afternoon and return Sunday evening. We try to stay at a Disney Deluxe resort if they are offering a discount for FL residents or passholders. If Disney's prices aren't the best we stay at the Swan or Dolphin. If this new weekend pricing plan goes through it looks like will be spending all of our stays with Starwood. Win some, you lose some. Disney will lose us. I hope it benefits some guests and not just corporate pockets.
    Hi SallyP!
    I love Starwood. With our timeshares through them I can either stay at the Swan/Dolphin or get a timeshare right around the corner from Disney. If we don't stay on property, we'll probably go with the timeshare. We've stayed at Cypress Pointe before, and everyone LOVED it. My sister and brother-in-law bought a timeshare because they enjoyed the accommodations there so much.

I guess I could always stay onsite Mon.-Fri. and then switch to the Swan or Dolphin for free on the weekends.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Duck View Post
    But DisneyWorld isn't like any other vacation spot. Most people who stay at Disney stay for 7 or more nights.

With most other vacation spots (Hershey Park, Dutch Wonderland, ...) there isn't a need to saty there more than a couple of days so I can see why the weekend would be more desirable.

Also, most other hotels have a lot of business travelers staying only a night or two.

I think it's just another way for Disney to make more money. Disney has always been an expensive vacation but it's getting to be that middle class families can't afford it anymore.
    I see your point...but I would like to bring a couple of other things to light:

We here on the East Coast, and by default the majority of the population density in this country ....view WDW as unique because we take weeklong trips to a location that is only a 2 hour flight away.
    That is unusual...but it is also the product of some east coast bias.
    If you go to Hawaii, California, Europe, or the Caribbean...most people go for a minimum of a week. It probably tends to seem odd to you because it's right on your front doorstep.
    But Disneyworld, and Florida as a whole...is an international vacation destination....overseas travelers, and even those from the Western US...probably don't think it's odd to go to WDW for a week and don't compare it to local, regional destinations like those that you have mentioned.

Disney doesn't have many business travelers ...true. But that's just it...they have recreational demand for their rooms 365 days a year....there are really no other spots in the country where that's true not named "hawaii".
    That increase in demand would drive prices up...simple economics.

As far as the middle class...I'm not so sure that it exists anymore....the gap between the haves and have nots...have...gotten larger and changed in dymanics starting with the carter/reagan days....so while WDW features 4 "classes" of resorts to choose from....really there are only two classes when it comes to vacationing at WDW...those that can afford it...and those that can't
    sadly....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frakers View Post
    I am bothered by this announcement. I'm not bothered for my family as we are fortunate to pay a 50% off interline rate since my DH works in the travel industry but I am annoyed by this in general. I can see regular, everyday hotels charging weekend premium rates since they are ONLY in the room renting business and they can even out their revenue this way. However, with Disney, if they have you ON property they are getting money out of you in innumerable others ways. I think charging higher rates for weekends is just rather ridiculous and unnecessary.

good points.

mttafire Guest

I disagree with the "middle class" comment 100%. A family of 4 can stay at Disney for less than 1600.00 at a Value resort. (tickets included)That IS most certainly affordable for a middle class family. The whole "affordability" thing is way overblown. Saving for a Disney vacation every other year or so does NOT take that much effort. We are IMHO solidly in the middle class i make around 50k a year and my wife makes 25k. We can easily afford a Disney vacation every 2-3 years. We have 1 child with another on the way. Saving just 30.00 per month =1080.00 in 3 years. Thats a long way towards a great Disney vacation. I completely understand the expense of a Disney vacation but to say that middle class families wont be able to afford it anymore is just not accurate. All this is just my opinion, Im not at all trying to argue, I just know that nice things cost alot of money...Thats why you gotta save!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    I disagree with the "middle class" comment 100%. A family of 4 can stay at Disney for less than 1600.00 at a Value resort. (tickets included)That IS most certainly affordable for a middle class family. The whole "affordability" thing is way overblown. Saving for a Disney vacation every other year or so does NOT take that much effort. We are IMHO solidly in the middle class i make around 50k a year and my wife makes 25k. We can easily afford a Disney vacation every 2-3 years. We have 1 child with another on the way. Saving just 30.00 per month =1080.00 in 3 years. Thats a long way towards a great Disney vacation. I completely understand the expense of a Disney vacation but to say that middle class families wont be able to afford it anymore is just not accurate. All this is just my opinion, Im not at all trying to argue, I just know that nice things cost alot of money...Thats why you gotta save!!
    A middle class family should be able to afford to go on vacation more than once every 3 years.

$1,600 doesn't include transportation which will probably be around $1,000 for 4 and food, another $1,000. So, now your talking about $3,600 minimum. And that's staying at a value resort during the value season.

By your example of saving $30 per month, it would take 120 months (or 10 years) to save $3,600.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Woah...we should try not to have this devolve into a class war or a monetary battle...as countless other threads have before.....

But my view on the affordability is as follows:

70's: from 71 to the gas crisis years, WDW and its resorts were affordable...a la disneyland. The exclusive characteristics of that era were that many people still traveled only by car, and to simply get to florida is a long way on the road for most.

Late 70-early 90s: Not only did the prices increase greatly, but inflation and government policies reduced the disposable income for many not in the "upper" class of the day. This was the demise of the american manufacturing base and with it...the traditional 20th century american middle class

90's-00: "new" money and service based economy blossoms and WDW becomes a "fairly" economical choice. Salary increases and investment dividends allow many to travel to WDW, and allows a high number of repeat visits...

00-present: while the economy is still firing, global concerns (the largest being oil prices...not Al Queda) and other factors (rising health care being the easiest) decrease the comparitive value of disney vacations. Salary increases have also leveled off in that period...allowing inflation to catch up to the levels of the booming 90's
    Disney, starting in about 99 and through the end of Eisner's reign in 05..also pursued an aggressive policy of increasing the prices of entertainment, parks, and especially resorts.
    Having worked at WDW in that period...it was almost like "we've boomed and built you alot of toys...now we want the public to pay back this good will". Expansion of entertainment hit a dead stop and only higher priced hotel rooms were added for over 5 years. WDW errors by completely overshooting it's resort needs at the time and rests it's attraction laurels on two completley incomplete parks: AK and MGM...the cost of new attractions also spiral out of control: Test Trak=$300 mil

Now where do we go from here? I have no clue. But if you a very frequent WDW customer...you probably noticed that there was a good "value" kind of feel in the late 90's...and that has turned to an "expensive" kinda feel in the last 3 or 4 years.

The fact that WDW is running its "affordable" TV spots and internet adds is proof that either they expect a downturn (probably), or they are using it as cover for continued price increases (again....probably)
    Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 06-13-2007 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo

mttafire Guest

A middle class family should be able to afford to go on vacation more than once every 3 years.

$1,600 doesn't include transportation which will probably be around $1,000 for 4 and food, another $1,000. So, now your talking about $3,600 minimum. And that's staying at a value resort during the value season.

By your example of saving $30 per month, it would take 120 months (or 10 years) to save $3,600.
    I didnt say NO vacation,I said a Disney vacation every 3 years. Go somewhere else the other two "cheaper".The 30.00 per month example was just a STARTING point...I stated "towards" a Disney trip. Read text fully..then You'll understand.
    I guess the whole point of my "point" is this..If one needs more money to enjoy things....work more. When gas prices went up i just made a decision to work few more hours O.T. everyweek or so. If there is a WILL there is ALWAYS a way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    I didnt say NO vacation,I said a Disney vacation every 3 years. Go somewhere else the other two "cheaper".The 30.00 per month example was just a STARTING point...I stated "towards" a Disney trip. Read text fully..then You'll understand.
    No need to shout. I did read it fully. I disagree with you. The bare minimum vacation for a family of 4 at Disney is $3,600. That's a lot of money for one vacation. Disney is very expensive. Most families spend more like $5,000 or $6,000 per visit.

Even if you saved $60 a month it would take 5 years to save for $3,6000.

A middle class family should be able to afford to go to Disney once every two years. It shouldn't take them 5 years to save up for.

My opinion is Disney is a very expensive. It wasn't always very expensive. They have been raising hotel and ticket prices every year now for a long time.

This latest rate change is further proof.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure that Disney researches out the whazoo what the market will bear with resort pricing. (be sure to add the "FREE" Magical express into the equation - even if you dont use it-you pay for it)

In 1984 I honeymooned at the Polynesian. Rack rate on the room was $115 a night. I was earning about $8 an hour as a Med Tech (full time) .

20 years later in 2004 the rack rate was $299. I was earning about $20 as a Med Tech (Part -time).

In 1984 I would have to work 14.375 hours to pay for one night stay. In 2004 I would have to work 14.95 hours to pay for a night stay.

Pretty interesting how similar it stayed in reality.

Nanc
    Nanci Rossetti
    Vacation Specialist
    Magical Journeys
    http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com
    The Magic begins with YOU!
    The Official Travel Agency of INTERCOT.com

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tink1 View Post
    I am sure that Disney researches out the whazoo what the market will bear with resort pricing. (be sure to add the "FREE" Magical express into the equation - even if you dont use it-you pay for it)

In 1984 I honeymooned at the Polynesian. Rack rate on the room was $115 a night. I was earning about $8 an hour as a Med Tech (full time) .

20 years later in 2004 the rack rate was $299. I was earning about $20 as a Med Tech (Part -time).

In 1984 I would have to work 14.375 hours to pay for one night stay. In 2004 I would have to work 14.95 hours to pay for a night stay.

Pretty interesting how similar it stayed in reality.

Nanc
    Perfectly stated...Sometimes my vice is im not able to put my thoughts down in writing as i would like to. Ive also found that compared to past income..Things at Disney do = out.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: