Quantcast Interesting Rumors for WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting Rumors for WDW

Lots of interesting rumors coming out of WDI. Per our TOS, I can't post the link, but this is a pretty reliable source so here's an insider's thoughts on the matter:

I like what is happening with the restructuring within the walls of 1401 Flower Street. As some of you may have already heard, former Research and Development Vice President Bruce Vaughn is now in the position that Chief Creative Executive Tom Fitzgerald. Vaughn is well liked within the company and a strong advocate of the creative process over the bureacratic process that has built up under Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald will still be working at WDI focusing on the oversight of show development, story integration and uh, um "blue sky" brainstorming process.

Craig Russell, former Vice President of Environmental Design and Show Engineering is now Chief Design and Delivery Executive at WDI. The former WDI President Don Goodman moves out of WDI and into his new role as executive Vice President for resort development. His position is something akin to recreating the Disney Development Company that designed the hotels for the company in the 80's before Eisner combined it with the rest of Imagineering. It appears that it will still be part of the company, but a seperate unit ran by Goodman and the very well liked, Wing Chao. The role Goodman had as President will not be refilled. Some people think that John Lasseter will partially take over this job in an unofficial capacity.

The new structure is great because it will do for WDI what Lasseter and Catmull have done for WDAS, with is to eliminate the layers of bureacracy and middle management that the creatives have to go through to get something done. From now on, Tony Baxter, Joe Rohde and Joe Lanzisero along with other Creative Executives will report directly to Vaughn. As Jim Hill reported, one of Vaughn's comments were "we are no longer going to design rides we don't build". This could be great news since WDI literally designs hundreds upon hundreds of attractions that literally never see the light of day. Unless the Oriental Land Company builds them, of course. This offers a light of hope on projects that got stuck in the approval process over the years because of political back stabbing, but the road ahead is not yet clear so we'll have to wait and let the dust settle. A whole new world may have opened up for Walt Disney Imagineering though...

A lot is going on at the Reedy Creek Improvement District, aka: Walt Disney World. The Walt Disney Company is trying to maximize it's profits without having to put a great deal more expense which is why we heard the announcement of those two projects that would be on the property, but not created by the property. With the Four Seasons at WDW and the Westward Way expansion, they intend on getting as much out of partnering with others while not having to incure the expense associated with the new hotels, shopping centers and developed co-ops.

As for what Disney themselves are doing, we have the progression of the DVC units being build near the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the new addition to the Contemporary that some have dubbed: the Watergate Tower. While I may not be estatic about the look of the tower, I don't take as much offense as other to the design. The Animal Kingdom DVC expansion is something I absolutely love, on the other hand.

There are two other properties being looked at for DVC opportunities, but it's in the early phase and will likely not see any announcements until late 2009.

A new, third themed water park is making its way through the approval process. It still has a long ways to go but the plans right now will have it tie the park in with some of Disney's cinematic properties if all is approved. Don't expect to hear anything publicly about this till sometime in mid 2008 at the earliest.

Despite everyone being depressed about the company announcing no current plans for a "Fifth Gate" in the current future, that doesn't mean ideas aren't being discussed. There is plenty of land for future use. Enough in the southern section for at least two full size parks if they are ever approved. There are "blue sky" proposals for a new park. Actually, three have been seen in the halls of WDI. These projects that are in the embryonic proposal phase and could wind up as a fifth park or serve as inspiration for Hong Kong's second gate or even Tokyo. Should the economy keep firing on all cylinders, the proposals will be narrowed down and one could look for an announcement near the beginning of the next decade. That puts the completion of a fifth park somewhere in the ball park of 2014-2015. Just in time for the preperations for the 45th anniversary of the park. How coincidental? Hmmm...

MAGIC KINGDOM

The Magic Kingdom is the park with the least going on. At least from my sources at WDI. This could all be thrown around now that the new structure is being put in place over on Flower Street, but the full effect of the reorganization won't be clear until summer is over. As for now, there are proposals for a new parade that would corrispond with some additional entertainment, but otherwise the next "E" ticket isn't planned for at least 2009. Lasseter and crew have a couple propsals that are being pitched about but nothing is concrete at the moment. As far as it being a Pixar ride, I'm sure some of you are thinking of asking... well, as of now the proposal's don't involve creations from Disney's Emeryville branch. In fact, of the two proposals my sources know of, one involves a "classic" Disney character and the other is something entirely different. Hopefully, if Disneyland's new Christmas overlay works out well it will be applied to Orlando's castle as well, but we won't know for sure till early next year.

EPCOT

By now, everyone knows that Epcot's Spaceship Earth will open next year with a brand new interior and from what people have seen so far it's a great redo. From one of my sources, the new attraction will really entertain guest in the best "Epcot" way. Talk continues about "THE WAND" coming down. The decision hasn't been made official, but signs are good that it could come down by next year... so cross your fingers. There are a couple prominent ideas for Epcot's next "E" ticket, but within departments, it won't see daylight till 2010 probably.

Over in World Showcase, there is a faction within WDI that wants to address some of the eyesores that disrupt the view of the lands. No, I'm not talking about the Dolphin and Swan... that requires more radical surgery. But there is momentum from a group of Imagineers to reintroduce a proposal to retheme the back of Soarin' to the Canadian Rockies which would hide the show building and give the area another "E" ticket ride simular to DCA's GRR. Other areas are supposed to be addressed if the plan goes through, again... these are "blue sky" proposal's so it'll all depend on the new management and how much they desire to fix the mistakes of the past.

DISNEY-PIXAR STUDIOS

Disney-MGM Studios, or as we will be calling it soon, Disney-Pixar Studios has the most promising future ahead of it. With the park meandering as to what it's identity has been over the last few years it is slated to get a good deal of attention over the next couple years. The name will not be the only rebranding of the park. A direction as to what kind of park it is will begin in the fall with the expected announcement of the name change. Once that is done there will be some major changes in theme and design in various parts of the studio. Lasseter himself has expressed an interest in refocusing the park towards a much more family friendly movie experience. Expect at least one and possibly two "E" tickets and two to four "C" or "D" tickets to be approved in the next year or so that will focus on making the experience one has when entering the former MGM park, a truly memorable one. Some of these projects will have a direct impact on WDW's sister park in Anaheim. What projects am I talking about. Well let me just give you their innitials... ST 2.0 and IJ4. How's that for a tease? These will be a huge draw for the studio when all this is said and done around... 2011. There's that year again. Sorry, my lips are sealed. There'll be nothing else for now...

The results of Epedition Everest are a great sign for Animal Kingdom. However, the high expense of the ride itself has been an inhibitor in bringing forward that most holy grail of DAK projects: Beastly Kingdom. There is still a small group within WDI that wants to do BK, but the amount of money it will cost has many managers hesitant to put that much capital into such an attraction. The wildcard in this is Lasseter. While it is not known if he will champion BK, he is much in favor of creating rides that immerse the guest and doesn't seem interested in throwing out mediocre attractions to simply have WDI keep busy. There are Imagineers who have been trying to get one of several small scale theming proposals for Dinoland approved, but under the old management the approval was moving at a snails pace. Perhaps the new leadership will allow these blue sky proposals which would take away the gharish, carnival atmosphere and give the area a more atmospheric touch to move forward? Clearly the days of Paul Pressler are over. The recent changes in WDI and the rising stock of Joe Rohde could bring BK out of the shadows and onto the fast track. At the very least, Joe's position means DAK will be receiving a disproportional amount of attention over the next few years.

Well, that's all I can relate without getting caught in Disney's dragnet or having my friends shot. Hope you enjoyed it. Stay tuned for more updates later in June..."
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting. There does seem to be a lot of excitement these days coming from WDI.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see which proposed projects become a reality. Proactive imagineering is very positive to the future of WDW.

Disney Studios definitely needs the most attention, these new ideas will help complete this park. The next Star Tours and a new Indy attraction are a great start.

The wand should stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh. Rumors! I like.....

My take on things is that while the re-organization at WDI should have benefits to WDW down the road, the actual management team at Disney Parks and especially WDW had better get their act straight as far as maintenance, operations and offerings are concerned in the here and now.

So many rides at the parks have become stale and in need of maintenance and refreshing it's un-conscionable. Service has slipped and the grounds all over WDW need a heck of a lot more maintenance and care.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm fine with the wand, too, but wouldn't care either if they took it down.

Now the hat is another story ...

Anyway, I wonder if they've noticed declining attendance at the Studios or something. It does seem like they've really got it in their sights for some heavy duty work.

Too bad they wasted all that space on LMA ... I'm not at all a fan of it and think they could have done something MUCH better with that area.

I'm excited for the new Toy Story Midway Mania, though. That should be cool.

Edited to add that I agree with Matt about taking care of the current state of affairs at WDW being just as important as taking care of the future.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickey View Post
    The wand should stay.

No way it should stay. Are you kidding me?
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

BelleBeauty Guest

Great info - or dreams - thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjstaceyuofm View Post

No way it should stay. Are you kidding me?
    PLLLEEASE!!!! I beg you... let's not turn this into another discussion/debate of Epcot's wand! We've been over it TOOO many times already!

Thanks Strmchsr for the great update. There's some potentially juicy bits of information in there. Glad to here that the Studios are going to get some desperately needed attention. I really wish they would devote some more attention to Epcot/World Showcase by adding another ride/show. It could use it, but probably not as much as the studios.

It's neat to hear about the possibility of a third water park, hopefully it gets approved. It's also neat to hear that they are at least thinking about the 5th gate. With all of the new hotels that will be added on property in the next 10 years (Four Seasons, Western Way and the continued DVC expansion), they will definitely need more attractions to meet the demand.

I have one question though, are there any plans to finish Pop Century (this Century)?
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWacky View Post

Anyway, I wonder if they've noticed declining attendance at the Studios or something. It does seem like they've really got it in their sights for some heavy duty work.
    Actually Attendance at all the Disney parks was up last year, according to a TEA report.

http://www.connectingindustry.com/pd...tendance06.pdf

I think this more likely has to do with IOA getting building a Harry Potter land. Like I posted on the other thread a little competition is a good thing.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Those are the rumours I love to dream about.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    I have one question though, are there any plans to finish Pop Century (this Century)?
    From what my friends have told me, everything is on hold while the restructuring takes place and the new management has time to lay out their master plan. Hopefully something re: POP will come down the pipeline soon.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I think these rumors address almost every single wish us Intercotees have (except for the Free admission and hotel rooms for all members of Intercot...I haven't heard Disney address THAT wish yet).

I desperately hope this is all true. Sounds like the early 2010s should feel a lot like the mid 90s...LOTS of new stuff, and a whole bunch of magic floating around in the air.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    I think these rumors address almost every single wish us Intercotees have (except for the Free admission and hotel rooms for all members of Intercot...I haven't heard Disney address THAT wish yet).
    Sounds more like a dream than a wish.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Sounds more like a dream than a wish.
    Well, isn't a dream a wish your heart makes?
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

When your fast asleep....

Come on everybody, join in!
    1970-1990 Disneyland - 4 Day Trips
    1980-2001 WDW - 6 Day Trips
    2007 Polynesian (First Resort Stay!)
    2008 Polynesian - planning

GO HOKIES!

All my thoughts and prayers...
    Rest in Peace fellow Hokies
    04-16-2007

Post Thanks / Like

In dreams you will lose your heartache
    Whatever you wish for you keep

lol i couldn't resist!
    Erin- WDW College Program Alumni and current WDW Seasonal Merchandise CM- The Art of Disney Gallery/Wonderful World of Memories/Disney Days of Christmas @ Downtown Disney Marketplace șOș

Last Trip: June 4-6, 2010 @ CBR- Pirate Room!

Next Trip: Spring Break 2011

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, Joe Rohde is a genius and should be running the place. It's good to hear he's being recognized.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

TiggerRPh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WDWacky View Post
    I'm fine with the wand, too, but wouldn't care either if they took it down.

Now the hat is another story ...

Too bad they wasted all that space on LMA ... I'm not at all a fan of it and think they could have done something MUCH better with that area.

I'm excited for the new Toy Story Midway Mania, though. That should be cool.

Edited to add that I agree with Matt about taking care of the current state of affairs at WDW being just as important as taking care of the future.
    I could not agree with you more Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also glad to hear that Joe Rhode is "movin on up". He is an inspiration to WDI.

I am also glad to hear that they have big plans for the Studios. That park is SO lame these days. I can honestly go to WDW and skip it and not feel like I missed anything...that's sad. I actually prefer AK to MGM and AK used to be my least favorite park. MGM definitely needs work, and it's good to hear that it will be getting its due.

I honestly think the MK is a "done" park, for the most part. I can't really imagine what else they could put in there. It's already crowded enough as it is. I think all three other parks need more work than MK, so it's good that they don't have plans for it in the immediate future.

I look forward to a third water park. I love the water parks, but the two they have are always too crowded to really enjoy them. Any guesses to the theme? I'm really thinking Pirates...that's the only "cinematic property" that is successful enough to base a water park on, unless they are talking something Pixar, but nothing really resonates with a water theme as much as Pirates.

What is the Christmas Overlay to the DL castle all about???? I haven't heard about this yet.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

. . . Have faith in your dreams and someday . . .
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: