Quantcast Older Child Equals Third Adult - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) Disney charges extra for the 3rd adult in a room.
    2) Your child has just reached adulthood
    3) Thus, you pay the extra fee.
    4) You, certainly do not have to pay this fee.
    5) Your option is to stay off-site.
    These are my feelings exactly. We are a family of five and go to Disney every other year. This year when we go our daughters will be the following ages 19, 18 and 16. We are just excited to be going and we know several people who would love the chance to go and can't afford to go. We pay extra for the adults in our family and feel fortunate that we can afford to do something that we love to do as a family!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

DVC members are not charged an additional amount for extra adults. In fact, a lot of the DVC accomodations are designed for more then 4 people. The grand villa is designed for 12 people. We have stayed in various villas with 4-10 people and have never been charged more. They have all been registered guests, as adults with the dining plan.
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Lying is lying no matter how it is rationalized.

If your child is 18, the rule is that a sur-charge may be applied in a regular resort room.

If your child is 3, the rule is that admission is required.

I am sure that many of us would view these "unfair" policies differently if the tables were turned, and a large corporation was not involved.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is the industry standard to charge for "extra" adults in a room, but what I don't understand is how hotels (including Disney's) can advertise that a room sleeps four adults, but charge extra for more than two. It just seems like a bait and switch deal to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Yes, it is the industry standard to charge for "extra" adults in a room, but what I don't understand is how hotels (including Disney's) can advertise that a room sleeps four adults, but charge extra for more than two. It just seems like a bait and switch deal to me.
    Actually, if you look on the Disney World website, it states "maximum 4 guests" for the rooms and there's and asterisk beside the room rates. If you scroll down, it says Additional adult charges apply if more than 2 adults in room. I'm not seeing anything in their literature which says the rooms accomodate 4 "adults". Have you seen it on fan sites, or is it somewhere on the Disney site and I'm just not finding it?
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

2 beds, each bed can hold 2 people - 2 * 2 = 4.

Whereas, room rates advertised are typically for 2 adults, with additional fee for additional adults.

How many the room will hold, and how they charge are 2 different things.

Similar to the 50 lb limit for baggage (on Southwest). The bag my hold more than 50 lbs worth of stuff, but if weighs over 50, you are charged more....... Likewise, a room may hold more that 2 people, but if there are more than 2 you are charged more.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Being one of the older Intercotees ( is that a word?) I can remember when the hotel room standard pricing was based on a single guest, a second person being about an additional $5 per night and $10 per night charged for any other guests. In addition to this if you were a family of 5 like we were you also had to pay extra for a roll-away bed.
    When the first hotels went "family friendly" we were thrilled, I have always felt that the no charge for Kids 17 and under as a wonderful gift we were given to allow us to travel more with the kids as they were growing up.
    Now, being the trouble maker I can be.....Disney is one of the very few hotels that does not give any discount to senior citizens. There is also no break on ticket prices that other amusement parks give. Something to think about we most all get old someday.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willowwind View Post
    Okay, I don't mean to be rude or mean but your baby isn't a baby any more.

Yes, there is a $25 charge (my experience being for a third adult at the Poly) for a third adult in the room. That's policy, it shouldn't matter who's paying for the room, or what relation they are. I'm 35, if I were to go with my Mom & Dad we would have to pay for a third adult. You should also have to pay for your third adult.
    You may not have meant it to be rude, but it was.

You will have to to pay for your 18 year old. I cannot see Disney budging on that. I agree that it is a rip off. I even think that 4 adults should be able to stay in a 4 person room without being charged extra. I know it is standard policy everywhere, but that doesn't make it right. They should be happy to have the extra adults to eat more food and spend more on adult type purchases. Instead, they make it harder for aging families to enjoy the magic.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    I even think that 4 adults should be able to stay in a 4 person room without being charged extra. I know it is standard policy everywhere, but that doesn't make it right.
    Let's face it, the charge is not going away unless the entire hotel industry has a sudden change of heart. Sure, Disney could make it magically disappear by absorbing it into an increased room rate, but then everyones paying for it, regardless of occupancy and ages. At least if you know it's there, then it's up to you whether or not staying on-site with your adult children is worth the extra fee. You can choose a value suite, cabin, villa, shop around to find off site locations that don't charge extra or look into a vacation home rental.

Post Thanks / Like

My thought is that somewhere along the line it does start to make a difference from a profit point of view...

As I have gotten older I have started to take longer showers

I use more than one towel to dry off

I am more likely to stay up later with the lights on and watch tv

I make the elevators and escalators work harder to get me where I want to go

I cause more wear and tear on the carpeting and the furniture

I could keep going on but you get the picture...

Now, this didn't magically happen at 12:01 a.m. the day I turned 18, but it did happen.

Somewhere along the line - industry analysts determined that by charing extra for adults (defined legally I believe as 18) they cover the extra expenses associated with the extra person.

IMHO the extra charge is better than the alternative (place $1.00 in the machine for a 10minute shower - hot water $.25 extra)
    Have a Magical Day!

Jacksboro, Texas (Northwest of Dallas Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like

This comes from DVC member services :
    Thank you for contacting Members Services.

You may have up to a total of 5 guests and a child under the age of 3 in
    a one bedroom vacation home. We do not supply extra bedding, however
    there is no charge for the extra person.

Please advise the names of all guests in your Vacation Home, this will
    expedite you check in.
    First trip 1981

Married at Disney's wedding pavillion 12-22-04
    DVC owners @ SSR Dec 2005
    OKW-DEC-2004-Wedding
    VERO BEACH-DEC-2004-(honeymoon)
    ASM-DEC-2005
    SSR-OCT-2006
    SSR-DEC-2007
    AKV owners Jul 08
    SSR Dec 08
    SSR June 09
    New Baby Boy arrived Aug 3 2009 !! (our first)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneycouple2004 View Post
    This comes from DVC member services :
    Thank you for contacting Members Services.

You may have up to a total of 5 guests and a child under the age of 3 in
    a one bedroom vacation home. We do not supply extra bedding, however
    there is no charge for the extra person.
    There's no charge for the extra adults in the room any way you book a DVC unit (member services or Disney reservations). There is a limit though of 4 guests, unless you a are a DVC member. Just wanted to clarify that.

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree. You have a hotel that holds 4 why charge the extra fee for more than 2. If that is the policy do you get a discount for less than 2, no. I also feel like people should be more upset by considering a 10 year old an "adult" this one makes me more than upset. PLEASE for godness sake have a junior charge! Do they want people to return? It's hard enough to save now but DD (12) and next year DS (9) will both be adult tickets and meal prices. DD(12) already is but you catch my meaning. Are we not suppose allow DD's (6) and (4) to enjoy the same experiences as their older siblings because it's so much more expensive. Sorry just irritates me. Anyway we'll be returning in Sept. Before we have another "adult".
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: