Quantcast Older Child Equals Third Adult - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we all understand the policy. I guess by defining the policy you agree with it.

I think the OP was questioning the fairness of the policy.

I don't agree with the policy and think it should change slightly.

For your child (only YOUR child) you should have until they are not a full time student, just like the insurance policies. For the extra $, validating school ID's is not too much to ask.

They are still dependents. They are not adults.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree...there is no harm in discussing the fairness of the policy..or whether one feels it's unjust. I know we have a seasonal site in a camping resort. The resort has many cottage type homes that are rented the same way hotel rooms are rented. They only charge for additional adults out of the immediate family. Meaning..they don't want the units loaded up with a bunch of friends spliting the cost. Your "adult" child is still permitted free of charge..as long as there is sufficient bedding in the units.
    This business of "they are adults and should pay there own way"...give me a break. I don't recall my parents asking me for money once I was 18 to go on a family vacation. I know I had my own spending money..but they weren't charging me for the privilege of going on a family vacation. I think that's easy to say when your kids are 5 or 10. When you have an 18 year college student working their way through school...you still want to do what you can to make it so that they can enjoy family time. I'm thrilled they want to come. Sorry, but I don't have the "**** it up and have them pay attitude". If I have to pay..then so be it. Not the end of the world either way. However it doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. Also..how about a standard amount for the "additional" adult. This business of a $5.00 extra adult fee at the cabins...(which are deluxe by rate)...and a $10.00 fee for the moderates..and a $25.00 fee for the Deluxe resorts...THAT is all about Disney charging more simply because they can.
    That being said..I have a 26 year old son..and we vacationed in Disney at the WL last week. He had his own room... which he paid for. His own dining plan, and park pass. He lives OUT OF THE HOME... on his own. He has a full time profession. I think that's the difference. He wasn't staying in our room with his mom and dad. He also had either his brother or sister staying in with him most nights..I offered to split the cost of the room with him being that one of "the kids" were usually in with him and he wouldn't hear of it. Said it was his pleasure to be able to give back after all the family vacations we'd taken him on.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I just accepted the fact that at 18, my DD's will be considered adults for everything else in life (except drinking age) so it doesn't bother me. I think every other hotel we have ever stayed at has charged a fee for more than 2 adult in a room - and that age was at 18 as well. It would be too difficult to distinguish between who still lives with Mom and Dad and who doesn't and then what age do you make that cutoff? My friend at work lived with her parents until their recent passings - she's in her 50's but still lived "at home" in her parents house. If they feel the need to charge me the extra fee, I'll just pay it and be glad my DD's still want to spend time with me on vacation.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    I agree...there is no harm in discussing the fairness of the policy..or whether one feels it's unjust.
    No there isn't any harm in discussing the fairness of the hotel industry, however it goes against INTERCOTS TOS when it's discussed that children have remained 17 "again" to bypass the policy or discussing other ways to get around it.

I don't recall my parents asking me for money once I was 18 to go on a family vacation.
    Whether we drove or flew, I paid my way in either gas money or my own airfare. Of course, we had 6 kids in our family and in addition to school, I was also working and paying room & board. It wasn't a shock to me, my parents just put the facts out there. If I wanted to go, I had to contribute. There was plenty of time to save up. I have my own adult daughter now and if I'm inviting her to come, I pay the fee's and the airfare. She usually ends up with more spending money than me .

Quote Originally Posted by CleveSJM
    For your child (only YOUR child) you should have until they are not a full time student, just like the insurance policies. For the extra $, validating school ID's is not too much to ask. They are still dependents. They are not adults.
    This is not a bad idea, but I know many parents who are not paying for their kids college and many kids who attend part time and still make a pretty good living. In addition to the school ID, would the parents need to bring cancelled tuition checks to prove that they are still dependents? Just too many gray areas, but it's a good thought.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Lord..the Intercot TOS...please. I saw it mentioned the first time. If you want to delete the mentioned offense..then do so.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you feel that way about the sites terms of service. In my opinion, the discussion was starting to heat up again and that was just a reminder of what was acceptable and what wasn't. Healthy debate is fine and beneficial, we just need to keep it confined to just that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall that I or anyone mentioned how to violate or skirt around Disney policy after your first mention that it was agains the TOS. It seemed to me that the discussion was about what age one deemed appropriate to charge for an additional adult occupying a room.
    Which I personally feel that if Disney is going to charge for an additional fee for an adult child occupying a room with their parents, then it should be a uniform fee across the board...not a different fee depending which resort you are staying at. Again..just my opinion.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    I'm sorry you feel that way about the sites terms of service. In my opinion, the discussion was starting to heat up again and that was just a reminder of what was acceptable and what wasn't. Healthy debate is fine and beneficial, we just need to keep it confined to just that.
    I for one say thank you for mentioning it. I believe the demeaner of this entire board has gotten more hostile, argumentative, and critical. I appreciate the reigns being pulled in occasionally.

Now then.... so where do you draw the line. What about an 18 year old who is living on his own but still came along on vacation? What about 25 year old still living at home, and is still a dependant? There are just too many scenarios, and how would you enforce it? I certainly wouldn't want to wait in line while the dependancy of everyone is check.

And I don't understand the contention that it's not fair. It's well know policy, it's published, and fairly standard. So what's not "fair"? They're not cheating anyone, or slipping something by. They are running a business, and setting policy that they feel best serves that.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Nope it wasn't mentioned, but as with other topics that are close to some peoples hearts, it's easy to get caught up in the debate and offer "alternatives". As I mentioned in my previous post, it was simply a reminder to those who wanted to continue on with the discussion.

It's a good question as to why there are different levels of additional fees and I'm pretty sure that if you stay DVC, there is no fee tacked on. Perhaps it should be uniform or maybe they could have a good student policy for those kids who are in college maintaining good grades (heck in some situations 18 year olds are seniors in high school). Cleve mentioned a valid college ID and maybe a copy of grades. I was thinking that there would probably be too many gray areas though. Like those parents who don't pay their kids tuition, or parents who do pay, but their kids are 21 and in grad school. At some point an age has to be picked though and if it's your child joining you on a family vacation, I don't think any age is going to be acceptable for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I don't think you could scam the system regarding your children's ages for long.
    When I made our ressies for our trip last January the CM at Central Reservations made the observation that "oh I see Sarah is 17 now, next year you will have to pay extra for her". So, either this lady was a mind reader or they do keep track of ages in the computer system.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another option. We are staying in a family suite at All Star Music in Sept. There is no extra charge for more than 2 adults. The rate is for 6 people regardless of their age. Maybe this would work out to be less expensive for you. We have 2 college children flying down for the week-end to go to the parks with us and we just have to let the front desk know they are in the room. I already verified this when I made the reservations. There is no additional charge. Plus the room has 2 full bathrooms and a kitchenette. There are four of us for the rest of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    When I made our ressies for our trip last January the CM at Central Reservations made the observation that "oh I see Sarah is 17 now, next year you will have to pay extra for her".
    I know they track things like age, but that sort of strikes me as an odd thing to say. Especially since you don't have to pay extra in all situations. Weird.

Post Thanks / Like

I know they track things like age, but that sort of strikes me as an odd thing to say. Especially since you don't have to pay extra in all situations. Weird.

I didn't think too much of it at the time and just figured that was her attempt at being chatty while waiting for the computer (it seems like they are always waiting for it) but when I told my wife about it we thought it was kind of spooky.
    The amount of info they store seems pretty extensive...
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

In response to a couple of questions concerning how difficult it would be to administer a policy of allowing your child to stay in the room if they were over 18 but still in school.

The school ID is easy enough to check at check-in. Not perfect but pretty good. And it is definitely not too much to ask for the resort to do. They are asking $30/day and can do some extra work for the money.

Also, I know Disney asked for my kids birthdays for my '04 trip so they know my oldest will be 18 in 2009 (oh man am I old!) and they can easily ask for $30/day or a student id. One or the other and I'm fine with it.
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

I think the policy is fair. Limits have to be set, and 18 is not such an arbitrary age in my opinion....It is the age of majority...adulthood. I don't think it should matter if the 18 year old lives at home, is in school or out on his/her own. It's a published rule and if it becomes an issue of expense for the travelling family, then perhaps other resorts or lodging options should be considered. There are always choices.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Good discussion! I guess I'm not saying it's totally unfair, just could be improved a little.

A little off topic, but would it make a difference if the 18+ year old child was developmentally or physically disabled?

(I'm keeping this to a direct child of the parent staying in the room. I agree all other 18+ year olds should pay)

Also, I would always go for two rooms at a Value so, for me, this is really moot (but interesting!).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) Disney charges extra for the 3rd adult in a room.
    2) Your child has just reached adulthood
    3) Thus, you pay the extra fee.
    4) You, certainly do not have to pay this fee.
    5) Your option is to stay off-site.
    To which I would add:
    6) Where you will STILL pay the extra charges because IT IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleveSJM View Post
    A little off topic, but would it make a difference if the 18+ year old child was developmentally or physically disabled?
    It might, if the charge covers the liability issue I asked about earlier. My guess is that the CM's do have some wiggle room in regards to the fee. We've travelled with our daughter a number of times since she turned 18 and they haven't charged us yet.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good question as to why there are different levels of additional fees and I'm pretty sure that if you stay DVC, there is no fee tacked on.
    To my knowledge there is no additional fee at DVC resorts. We will be testing this out in Oct. But, when I made the ressie I made it very clear that our guests were adults and there was no mention of additional fees. So this may be an option...I personally hope this to be true because my DD (soon to be 12) has informed us that she will be going to WDW with us FOREVER
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offwego View Post
    Respectfully...this is much the same as having a "child" not turn three for admission purposes isn't it?

It's ok to ask re the policy...but not circumvent it in my personal view point.
    I might be starting a storm here and I'm sorry if I do but my daughter turned 3 2 weeks before we went to WDW but we booked the trip almost 6 months earlier. While she got into the park for free, she was still not tall enough to ride most rides. Even our trip in Sept worries me because she will barely make the height requirements for the majority of the rides except for the teacup, and rides in that area.
    We also paid for all of her meals. Do I feel guilty for 2 weeks? Not really, trust me...we used the money saved inside the parks buying souveneirs we would have normally never bought.
    Jo Marie
    Mom to Princess Hannah

1986-Day Trip
    5/06-Port Orleans Riverside
    2/07-Pop Century/ASM
    9/07 Pop Century
    Upcoming:
    8/08-Day Trip
    12/08 Coronado Springs Resort for Hannah's 5th Birthday!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: