Quantcast Who feels like the DDP should be stopped??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who feels like the DDP should be stopped??

HI All,

ADR's are getting harder and harder to make....especially for last minute trips.

I will be going down for a last minute trip next weekend. Hey...$39 on Southwest....I couldn't say no.

ADR's are almost impossible to make.....trying to eat dinner at Ohana....yeah, if I want to eat at 10pm!!

I have AP's so I don't do the DDP.

I feel like the DDP, although may save some folks a little money...is a big hassle and makes getting ADR's harder and harder.

DDP should be discontinued...that's just my humble opinion.

Comments?????
    Randy

It all started with a mouse. WD

*85 thru 98 - Offsite
    *Oct 99 - CBR
    *Aug 02 - CBR
    *May 03 - Offsite
    *May 05 - POFQ
    *Sept 05 - POFQ
    *June 07 - Offsite
    *July 07 - Offsite
    *Oct 07 - POFQ
    *Dec 07 - Offsite
    *May 08 - Offsite
    *Sept 08 - CBR
    *May 09 - POFQ
    *Lost count!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely, totally disagree. The DDP has been a life-saver for us. Since we live over 1200 miles from WDW, chances of a "spur of the moment" trip are nearly impossible. If we were able to go at the last minute, and had to forego the dining plan, we'd eat every meal at counter restaurants. Been there, done that....I was so sick of hamburgers and chicken tenders by the end of our trips, and was also always hungry....no fun. Before the dining plan, sit down restaurants weren't an option for us, due to cost. I've saved my receipts every time we've used the DDP and compared them against what I spent on the dining plan. EVERY TIME, I've saved at least 45%, and one trip I saved 60%. I don't mind having to make ADR's...in fact, I prefer it. It is such a relief knowing that I can get into the restaurants I want, and we plan our days around where we want to dine. I'm sure many will agree....planning a trip to WDW is part of the experience and I enjoy every minute of it. I think if I ever did take a trip without making ADR's, I'd be so stressed that I would have a hard time relaxing. Just my

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Also disagree. The DDP has saved us more than a "little money". We've tried many restaurants that we would normally skip because of cost. And eating burgers and chicken fingers on the run gets old pretty darn quick!

I thoroughly enjoy the planning - ADRs included - of our trips to WDW.

Save the DDP!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tygger7 View Post
    I don't mind having to make ADR's...in fact, I prefer it. It is such a relief knowing that I can get into the restaurants I want, and we plan our days around where we want to dine. I'm sure many will agree....planning a trip to WDW is part of the experience and I enjoy every minute of it. I think if I ever did take a trip without making ADR's, I'd be so stressed that I would have a hard time relaxing. Just my
    Let me clarify...I like planning my trips and I agree that ADR's are a must.

But if you go at the last minute or decide you would like to eat at a particular restaurant at the last minute. The restaurants are so full with DDP'ers that more times than not you have to settle for something else.
    Randy

*85 thru 98 - Offsite
    *Oct 99 - CBR
    *Aug 02 - CBR
    *May 03 - Offsite
    *May 05 - POFQ
    *Sept 05 - POFQ
    *June 07 - Offsite
    *July 07 - Offsite
    *Oct 07 - POFQ
    *Dec 07 - Offsite
    *May 08 - Offsite
    *Sept 08 - CBR
    *May 09 - POFQ
    *Lost count!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so blessed to live close to WDW with what my dh does for a living and so will never have the luxury of the AP. I generally live in small towns (think -- less than 10,000 people) and have to drive hours to go to a restaurant that is Disney quality. WDW is my only chance to eat out all year, and without the DDP I wouldn't be able to afford it, especially with the kids. So I love the DDP and I hope it stays forever

Most people here, I'll wager, can't afford to take a last minute trip to WDW -- from here, we can't ever get plane fare for less than $350/person.

So just my 2 cents, be thrilled that you can go to WDW on a whim -- even if you can't eat out exactly where you want to go. You'd never see me asking WDW to eliminate the AP just because it isn't fair to me, someone who has to save all year to afford their rates and plane fare.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I do not agree. I think the dining plan is great and would not want to see it disappear. However, I do feel that the ability to call 180 days ahead of time is a bit extreme. I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow. let alone 6 months from now!! It seemed that when the mark was 90 days it wasn't quite as difficult to get ADR's or even a walk-in. I actually ate at CRT 2x for breakfast as a walk-in back in early '00. So i/o getting rid of the DDP, how about going back to 90 days??
    '86,'87,'92 - Offsite
    '93 - Disneyland Hotel
    '95 - Disneyland Hotel - Honeymoon
    '01 - Fort Wilderness Cabins - MVMCP
    '03 - Wilderness Lodge
    '03 - Caribbean Beach
    '04 - POR
    '05 - POR/Polynesian - SW Weekends
    '06 - Polynesian - MNSSHP
    '07 - POR - MNSSHP
    '09 - Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

I do not feel its the DDP's fault you cannot get a reservation.

We did not use the DDP on our trip before last but we still called and got reservations where we wanted to eat as soon as we made our vacation plans.
    Its just the nature of sit down dining. There is a restaurant here in Litchfield Beach SC that you have to have reservations 3 months out during peak seasons. They even added a huge outdoor dining area and it just filled right up.
    Tigerlilly
    Mommy to Parker and Laurie
    First - July 1979
    Most Recent - POFQ, April 29th 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I think whether the DDP is available or not, people will forever book their dining reservations 180 day s in advance now because they can.... I am the forever planner and will plan my meals as far in advnce as I can whether paying OOP or DDP.
    Off Property - August, 2002
    Animal Kingdom Lodge - June, 2005
    Wilderness Lodge - August, 2006
    DVC Member at Saratoga Springs- 2007
    Saratoga Springs - June, 2007
    Saratoga Springs - August, 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I'm another DDP fan. I love being able to pay for the meals in advance, one less thing to worry about when there, and we definately try new places, that we wouldn't try otherwise.

I remember, well before the DDP, not being able to get an ADR at popular places, although it is rather crazy now...but I agree with a poster above, I wonder how much of it has to do with the 180-day bookings, so it gets people thinking about it so much sooner? Even a "late" booker, is still probably booking at 50 or 100 days out from their trip.

Maybe Disney needs to build some more restuarants, they would fill them, and make the $$!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richardsa98 View Post
    I think whether the DDP is available or not, people will forever book their dining reservations 180 day s in advance now because they can.... I am the forever planner and will plan my meals as far in advnce as I can whether paying OOP or DDP.

That said..... I think 90 days was sufficient!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Default agree and disagree

I agree and disagree. Although I’ve never used the DDP because I usually only go for one or two day trips, I plan on using it when I go next September (to hopefully take advantage of free dining). I think the DDP is a good idea, but I think they need to only book maybe 85% of restaurants with ADR’s and leave 15% of seating to walk-ups or same-day ressie’s. The 90 day out ADR requirement is probably my #1 gripe with Disney right now. It’s ridiculous! If I have a last minute change of mind I’m out of luck...and I hate it. Or if I happen to be walking past…say…Coral Reef and I decide I would like to eat dinner there I can’t do it because they are all booked. A place like Disney I think needs to leave some seating aside for one day trippers (I am not an APH even though I live 45 min away, I can’t afford an AP) since one day trippers can’t take advantage of the DDP. As far as getting rid of the DDP, I wouldn’t go that extreme. It does save families that can use it lots of money. But I think Disney should start a new policy on not booking a restaurant entirely full. I know they do it for the money, but it’s just not fair to the people that can’t do the DDP.
    ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

It's simple supply & demand. Disney created a demand for TS restaurants, now it's time to provide additional TS restaurants to meet the demand. The DDP gives a lot of people the option to eat in restaurants they normally wouldn't which means the current restaurants are stretched well beyond their limits. Additional restaurants would help alleviate that strain.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bleukarma View Post
    . . . but I think they need to only book maybe 85% of restaurants with ADR’s and leave 15% of seating to walk-ups or same-day ressie’s.

A very good idea . . . why hasn't Disney done this to make everyone happy??

Post Thanks / Like

I agree and disagree. But I think Disney should start a new policy on not booking a restaurant entirely full. I know they do it for the money, but it’s just not fair to the people that can’t do the DDP.
    First off, I totally disagree that they should save tables for walk-ins. If they can book them in advance, why not? And your not having the DDP has no effect on your ability to make advance dining reservations, so it is completely fair. What's not fair? DDP people are not getting preference over tables or increased ability to make ADRs. You have the same chances at booking those tables with or without DDP.

I also agree and disagree on the DP, though. The DP is great, so affordable. All-inclusive vacations are more and more popular with travelers, and this is a way for Disney to add something like it. It's also a key marketing move in keeping visitors on-site. Plus, the Dining promotions really bring in the crowds. Brilliant plan. Smart marketing. The DDP isn't going away any time soon.

Personally, I love paying for things in advance and not worrying as much when I get there. I don't mind advance planning. I do worry about declining quality in fear of keeping costs down, and that's the one thing I don't like about DDP. I'm willing to pay more for better quality and more choices. The DDP may streamline dining, reduce menu choices. I don't like that about the DDP.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

A place like Disney I think needs to leave some seating aside for one day trippers (I am not an APH even though I live 45 min away, I can’t afford an AP) since one day trippers can’t take advantage of the DDP.
    Okay, I am going to play dumb, cause well, regarding this I am. But what does the DDP have to do with ADRs (aside from supply & demand)? I made ADRs before I made my actual resort reservations. I wanted to make sure we had CRT & Corral Reef for My DD, so I was flexible on travel dates. Once I got it, we booked our stay. So I actually boolked ADRs before I had the DDP.

I do not think they are one in the same. Just looking for clarification...

As for walk ups, I would say two things; #1 WDW is diffent from anywhere else because its guests are in essence "trapped". They must eat at restaurants, so they get swamped. Which leads to #2, go to any "equivalent" type of restaurant in a major city (where people are not trapped) and ask for a walk up. Just as the OP stated, you would be waiting till 10 pm for a seat there as well.

And I am not talking about Applebees or Fridays here. Those, IMHO are closer to the CS throughout the parks than 'Ohana or Corral Reef.

The current system works for Disney (that is, it makes $$$$$$$$$). So I doubt it will change any time soon. Go figure....
    1970-1990 Disneyland - 4 Day Trips
    1980-2001 WDW - 6 Day Trips
    2007 Polynesian (First Resort Stay!)
    2008 Polynesian - planning

GO HOKIES!

All my thoughts and prayers...
    Rest in Peace fellow Hokies
    04-16-2007

Post Thanks / Like

I like the dining plan I just wish it was not 180 days out. What is next 9 months out? Then they will have to try to release the calanders earlier to allow people to plan their adrs. I just think it is getting out of control. I would be happy if they went back to 90 days out, I was happy with that and I think lots of others were. I know that it might not make good business sense to set aside a certain number of tables for walk-ups but I do think that what they lose in lost food sales they will make up for in happy return customers. I don't know how many times I have seen frustrated people trying to get in to a restaurant and when they can't they are so frustrated they say "We are never coming back to Disney again". We all know that they should have planned ahead but maybe they couldn't. Maybe they made the trip at the last minute. I doubt that they would have a hard time filling those tables set aside for walk-ins.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I am 100% sure that Disney does save at least some table space for walk-ups.

On more than one occasion I've called to get an ADR while in the parks and been declined as they were "all full."

But we've then walked up to the same restaurant minutes later and were able to get right in and get a table ... sometimes with no wait at all.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We love the dining plan and wouldn't be able to take our trips without it. I do think they need to keep room in the restaurants for walkins. If you're filled up for the whole day before the park ever opens, that's fine for the restaurant (and Disney) but it puts out A LOT of potential customers. There are also people who don't like to plan everything for their vacation...it's a vacation, why should planning EVERY detail have to be a part of it. If you get behind on your schedule it will throw everything off for the day. We use the DDP everytime we go because it saves us money, we also can't afford to go on a whim to WDW. We can barely afford to go every-other year like we try to do. Adding restaurants probably won't help either since you can make reservations so far out, they'll just fill those up too. I really think that the only way to help the situation out is to allow a certain percentage of times and seats open for walkins.
    November 1997 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    November 1999 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    February 2002 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Honeymoon!)
    October 2006 - Old Key West (1st Trip with kids!)
    December 2008 - Old Key West (The not-so-great trip)
    October 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I should’ve been clear with my thinking…DDP and ADR’s are not the same thing but I think the DDP has caused the number of ADR’s to go up (more people eating at TS restaurants, more ADR’s being made). Back when there wasn’t a dining plan (at last not one as popular as this one) then we would usually wait until the morning we go to the park to make our reservations and have no problem at all. Now I have to know where I want to eat further in advance then the same day.

As for the people that say I can still make my ADR’s before I go for my one day trip, your absolutely right. I just don’t like it. For example my best friend and I talking about taking a short trip over in September for her boyfriends birthday at this very minute. Right now we have no idea where we want to eat. But when we do decide it then chances are it will be booked up (especially because of free dining at that time).

With that being said, I would never want Disney to get rid of the dining plan. I absolutely don’t expect Disney to drop it for people like me! In fact I’m happy it’s out there to save families that can use it money! I just wish it didn’t aid in booking up all the restaurants.
    ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    First off, I totally disagree that they should save tables for walk-ins. If they can book them in advance, why not? And your not having the DDP has no effect on your ability to make advance dining reservations, so it is completely fair. What's not fair? DDP people are not getting preference over tables or increased ability to make ADRs. You have the same chances at booking those tables with or without DDP.
    1. They should have walk up tables for guests that make last minute trips, or decide they want to eat at a restaurant that they were not aware even existed...or because they just changed their minds and wanted to eat there. Like another poster said...it is a vacation and you should be able to have some flexability.

2. Yes the DDP does affect someones ability to make ADR's. Because of the DDP, more people are eating at TS restaurants and they book up faster...plain and simple. Yes, Disney should add more TS restaurants.

For me...the DDP has create the need to plan and call as far in advance as possible for ADR's...and crossing your fingers that there is a table with your name on it.

As time goes on it will be like trying to get a table at Cinderella Castle. Call exactly 180 days out and at 7am EST.
    Randy

*85 thru 98 - Offsite
    *Oct 99 - CBR
    *Aug 02 - CBR
    *May 03 - Offsite
    *May 05 - POFQ
    *Sept 05 - POFQ
    *June 07 - Offsite
    *July 07 - Offsite
    *Oct 07 - POFQ
    *Dec 07 - Offsite