Quantcast DVC - Running Rough #'s

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC - Running Rough #'s

I am not even on the cusp of thinking about DVC. However, I run numbers at work all the time for finance, investments, and budgets. So, I figured I would run a few quick numbers that I could find online. The example I used was a Beach Club resale with 200 points.

Resale: $18,000
    Maintenance (200): ~$1000
    Vacation: Roughly 2 weeks during the value season
    Add'l to cover 2 full weeks (estimate): $500

Looking at this data, and that is all it really is, you can compare the cost of vacations. 2 weeks a BC is ~$5000 per year on a value season. This is just one example, but the break even point for DVC is year 5. After that, the difference becomes exponential.

This example does not take into account drastic Maintenance fee increases and selling of points. I figured over time, those will wind up balancing.

Therefore, if I was looking at this as an investment/worth joining, I would be looking at having it at least 5 years. The deciding factor at that point will be the initial payment of $18k.

Does anyone see a flaw to the calculation? I am basing this off of the information I could find online.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The only flaw I see is that you assume zero inflation on the cost of a week at the Beach Club.

Disney raises resort rates to one degree or another every few years, so somewhere you'd have to factor that into the payback period, as well.

That was actually the biggest tipping point for me was the ability to hedge against inflation costs for vacations.

10 years from now what will most people be paying for a week at the Beach Club? I know what I'll be paying ...
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

WDWacky,
    I don't think that was a "flaw" in the calculation. I think that only solidifies the reasoning behind the calculation. There are 100 if's, and's, or but's in this data. Looking at raw numbers gives you an idea of the advantage.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    WDWacky,
    I don't think that was a "flaw" in the calculation. I think that only solidifies the reasoning behind the calculation. There are 100 if's, and's, or but's in this data. Looking at raw numbers gives you an idea of the advantage.
    I agree ... I was just pointing out that hedging against inflation is only one more item on the plus side of the equation and one that, IMO, is the biggest.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you look in the why not to buy topic you will find people with some fairly extreme ways of doing the numbers. All I know is that I have some wonderful holidays over the last 15 years at DVC properties and could still actually sell my points for more than I paid for them. I'm not going to because DVC is an investment in yourself and your family - it isn't a money thing at all.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I am also a "numbers" guy and did the math. You have to look at what interest you could have received had you invested the money as well, but you also have to figure inflation. My guess based on 4% inflation is that by the end of the timeshare (2042), the cost of one night at the Beach Club will be around $1,000. We just purchased a BCV resale (100 points) knowing that our kids and grandkids will be enjoying it as well, which is something money can't buy or figure into. Another thing to consider--we will use the Disney Visa to pay our maintenance fees. So for us, we will be staying 6-7 nights per year at the Beach Club for the next 35 years without paying another penny for a motel. We decided we're going to go to Disney anyway, so we just as well make it worth our while. I wish we would have done this 10 years ago but I didn't have the money then, nor did I think I'd be going every year.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I to run numbers at work, but never looked at purchasing DVC with a break even. First you are assuming you will take two weeks, with DVC there are always the intangibles that can never be calculated. The convenience, the ease and enjoyment of knowing," Hey we have the points why don't we go in May or any other time when you just feel like getting away!" You can run numbers 20 different ways,, look at pros and cons but it all comes down to an emotional decision, "Whats it worth to know we have the capability to go away at anytime, as long as we have enough poins?!!"
    Bazz
    81 - Offsite, 97,98 - Dixie Landings
    99 - BWV - DVC Member
    00 - BWV/DCL-Wonder
    01 - BWV,OKW, 02, 03 - OKW
    04 - OKW, SSR
    05 - SSR - May, OKW-Aug, BCV-OCT
    06 - SSR - May, SSR - Aug, VWL-OCT
    07 - SSR - Jan, OKW - Jul, SSR,BCV -Oct
    08 - SSR - May, SSR - Jul, SSR - Sep

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: